Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

macBook Air "Core 15" 1.7

Options
  • 28-05-2014 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭

Folks, extremely tech-dumb poster here. Just got the following 'offer'. Is that a good price for it?? Seller is a trustworthy colleague, so I can believe the description and all.

Macbook Air Mid 2011 13 inch

Processor 1.8GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 4Gb 1333 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 3000 384Mb

256 GB SSD

Includes carry case

Pristine condition

Price: 500 EUR

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Macs tend to be expensive so it looks like a good deal. I'd be concerned there may be a reason it is for sale, possibly hardware issues previously. Although if you trust the colleague it may be a good deal. Is it definitely a 256GB SSD? Are you sure it's not an older mechanical drive?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

yoyo wrote: »
    Macs tend to be expensive so it looks like a good deal. I'd be concerned there may be a reason it is for sale, possibly hardware issues previously. Although if you trust the colleague it may be a good deal. Is it definitely a 256GB SSD? Are you sure it's not an older mechanical drive?

Nick

Thanks, man. I can check before buying. The colleague and her husband are major Mac users (I think it's related to his job). I actually bought a MacBook Pro from her a couple of years ago and I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'd believe it. I've owned several laps the last couple years and ultimately after appraising them myself I just give them to family: resale is a bitch. Even on macs now their resale value isn't as lucrative as it used to be. Three year old laptop will see lots of price deprecation

If not for the SSD I would say buy new but that's fair value. Haggle for 400 but don't say no to a firm 500

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Itziger wrote: »
    Thanks, man. I can check before buying. The colleague and her husband are major Mac users (I think it's related to his job). I actually bought a MacBook Pro from her a couple of years ago and I'm happy with it.

It's good value if its definitely a 256GB SSD, if not it is ok value. You'd get a 2014 non-Mac model with better spec for 500, but if it must be a Mac a 2011 model may be alright. I'm not a Mac guru though so I'd follow Overheals advice

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Additional note yes it's an i7 but it's probably the first gen i7 and it's a low voltage model so it's comparable to an i3 or i5 of now, roughly speaking. They made big performance and power efficiency bumps in the third and fourth gen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Overheal wrote: »
    Additional note yes it's an i7 but it's probably the first gen i7 and it's a low voltage model so it's comparable to an i3 or i5 of now, roughly speaking. They made big performance and power efficiency bumps in the third and fourth gen

It's also only a dual core.

Ken

Advertisement