Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of doing applied maths for LC?

• 28-05-2014 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm a current JC, going into TY next year. I was considering doing applied maths for the LC. It isn't taught in our school but there are a number of people teaching it in the area after school.

I'm doing honours maths for the JC, and I got a B in the mocks (hoping for an A in the real thing)

I was wondering about people's opinions on doing it for the LC. I plan on doing Physics and keeping on Honours maths and I was wondering would applied maths help with this?

Also, is doing applied maths as well as the 4 choice subjects we have to do too much to manage? Or is it a subject which can be easily (well maybe not easily but fairly OK) maintained on the side?

My science/maths teacher advised that I should learn the course in TY (and something about choosing the questions I like best, he said you have to do 6 out of 10 or something in the exam) , seeing as I'll have a bit of extra time, and then maintain what I have learned through 5th year and LC.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Applied Maths will make part of the physics paper seem like childs play, no joke.
    If you can I highly recommend Applied Maths, it will help you no matter what you go on to study.
    The course is quite short in comparison to other subjects, if you are willing to work away at it you will have no problems.
    If you can, do a bit in TY but I wouldn't be too worried about it at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭otpmb

Yeah that's a great idea but, don't focus on just 6 questions try and find a teacher who will do 7, 8 or even 9 topics, you have more than enough time to do this many questions in detail. I'm telling you this because, every year in the applied maths exam for leaving cert there will be one if not two very tricky questions and/or questions you've never come across before, this doesn't mean the exam or the course is really hard but instead, from what I know, the examiners put in these really hard questions, so people do more of the course and don't just do the minimum 6 questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There was an overlap with applied maths, physics and honours maths when I was doing them. None of those three were taught in my own school, had to walk up the road another school for them. It's more work, but if you enjoy the maths course, applied maths is very interesting. I felt it helped me later on in an engineering degree as well. I took it as an extra subject to the leaving, along with music, which i also did outside school.

Doing extra subjects is extra hours per week of study /homework, so you may find yourself short of time for other subjects. I ended up dropping irish to pass level to maintain the work level in those additional subjects.

Doing a bit in TY is a great idea. Nice to be able to get the headstart on it.

Advertisement