Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best undergrad to get into Occupational Therapy masters?

Options
  • 28-05-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm filling in my CAO (again) and am trying to decide what back up courses to put down in case I don't get Occupational Therapy straight. Which I won't cause the points are beyond my abilities, so it's important I choose a degree that will help me get the masters in UL or abroad.

I'm only able to stay in Galway or move to Dublin I don't mind which. Any suggestions on courses would be great. I was thinking Social Science in UCD? But it would mean I would have to focus in on social work or something else in second year and that might take me in the wrong direction. Alternatively psychology and sociology through Arts in Galway? Intellectual Disability nursing in Trinity? Social Work in Trinity?

Not sure. If anyone knows anything about this or is in a similar boat, please help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 leavingcert problems

Hi there! I'm in the same boat! I desperately want OT but there isn't a hope of me getting it because I simply haven't put the work in. I'm an idiot!! Anyway, the back doors I'm putting down are physiology and health science in carlow and sligo and athletic therapy in DCU. I know you say that you would rather Dublin or Galway but the courses in sligo and carlow are proven back doors!! Hope this helped a little bit! Glad to hear of someone else interested in the career

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kaelamc

Thanks but it's gotta be Galway or Dublin for me :) still good to know some one else is planning a back door root! Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mackenzie1983

I am an Occupational Therapist and I did a master course in the UK. When I was doing my L.C I did not know what I wanted to do. I did an arts degree in Nuig (psychology & Soc+pol). Most of the people on my course had psychology degree, one had a nursing degree, another a sports science and one had an English degree. The one thing we all had in common is that we had relevant experience outside of our degree. Such as working as support workers, volunteering or experience of supporting family members with a disability. I would say that this experience would be essential to get on a masters. The master course I did was very intense and hard work with a strong academic focus. You will need at least a 2.1 in your undergraduate degree to get on the masters. Many people have to apply more then once to be accepted. Would you consider doing it as an uundergrad degree in the UK?

Advertisement