Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mascarpone cheese recipes

• 28-05-2014 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I made an Italian inspired sauce last night and used mascarpone cheese at the end to add a bit of flavour.

Anyway, I only ended up using about 2 large teaspoons of the cheese for enough sauce for about 3 dinners.

So here I am with a pack of soft cheese that is over half-full which I have no immediate use for which seems like an awful (expensive) waste.

I don't suppose you can freeze it?
    Or more realistically are there any dinner recipes that you can use it for within a week of opening (even though it says consume within 3 days of opening)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,633 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Mascarpone is a great finish to a risotto. Try creaming some leeks to go with a piece of pan-fried smoked haddock. Finely slice the leeks and slowly soften them in butter in a pan, when they're nice and soft stir in some mascarpone and some grated pecarino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I made an Italian inspired sauce last night and used mascarpone cheese at the end to add a bit of flavour.

Anyway, I only ended up using about 2 large teaspoons of the cheese for enough sauce for about 3 dinners.

So here I am with a pack of soft cheese that is over half-full which I have no immediate use for which seems like an awful (expensive) waste.

I don't suppose you can freeze it?
    Or more realistically are there any dinner recipes that you can use it for within a week of opening (even though it says consume within 3 days of opening)?

Tiramisu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I would go sweet too- marscapone mixed with some icing sugar and a little cream with strawberries and homemade shortbread biscuits. Such an easy dessert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 c0w3jz6eia8h9n

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

On the sweet thing, I'm more of a fan of savory to be honest so if I could find a way to use it for a main that'd be great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Make a pasta bake and put blobs of the cheese on top for the last 20 minutes in the over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 c0w3jz6eia8h9n

Ok thinking of a pasta bake or a fish gratin.

Either or sound like a winner!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I like basic tomato & basil pasta sauce (with some spinach added if you have it) mixed with fried gnocchi, dollops of mascarpone on top and popped under the grill until the mascarpone is bubbling and golden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

use the mascarpone in the gnocchi dough!

Advertisement