Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple devices hacked by Oleg Pliss… what to do next?

Options
  • 28-05-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

A number of Australian/US/UK iPad and iPhone users are experiencing some issues with their Apple devices. A message, saying something like this is popping up on their screens:

Device hacked by Oleg Pliss. For unlock device...

In order to unlock the device Mr Pliss is asking for the modest sum of $100/€50 Now.. although the mechanism used to hack these accounts is still unclear, it seems the attackers got hold of the victims' iCloud login credentials and locked their devices remotely. It is speculated that the attackers got hold of these credentials from another data breach and just guessed that Apple users would use the same information.

Steps to protect yourself (if you haven't been hacked)

1) Enable 2FA (2-factor authentication) right now for your iCloud account. This will prevent someone holding your iCloud login details to access it.

2) Change your iCloud password as a preventive measure, especially if you are using the same password for different sites.

Steps to take (if you have been hacked)

1) If the attackers have set a passcode on your device, you could reset it using iTunes. However, this requires resetting the device, which would erase all information that is not backed up.

2) In case you cannot recover control of your device, you might need to contact Apple’s support customer care.

Last but not least, don’t pay the ransom as it's your device and you have every right to own it!

Fabio Cerullo
    @fcerullo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

nifty, while i applaud whoever managed to do this (some feat!) they are dicks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rankingelite

Same thing has happened to my sisters iphone..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I have my iCloud turned off and don't use it . I prefer to back up my phone on my laptop .

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭industrialhorse

This is just one of the many reasons I dont use an iPhone or touch any of Apple's products:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

This is just one of the many reasons I dont use an iPhone or touch any of Apple's products:D

Apple aren't unique in terms of their devices being hacked but I take your point!

As impressive as I find iPhones I still think they're too expensive for asking price, plus you don't know if there are any backdoors in OS unlike in Android which is open source.

• Advertisement
Advertisement