Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pink boat in the docks?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

Was down there tonight, and got talking to a lad working on the boat, the blue boat beside it is going to be a restaurant, and the pink boat is to be used as yer man said as a " chill out zone", supposed to be open on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Was down there tonight, and got talking to a lad working on the boat, the blue boat beside it is going to be a restaurant, and the pink boat is to be used as yer man said as a " chill out zone", supposed to be open on Sunday.

So they talked to Joe

They sure did.

Yer man said the plan was to have it open by Sunday, but said they were a bit behind schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pinksummer

i have just been told its going to be a coffee shop like the one on the Liffey??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

pinksummer wrote: »
    i have just been told its going to be a coffee shop like the one on the Liffey??

That's what it looks like from the FB page, but sounds like they'll also serve food?

Would be a nice place on a nice day, but on a rainy day you'd be down in the hull of the boat where there's no windows (not that there's much of a view on low tide).

Best of luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

did you tell yourself that?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JohnCleary wrote: »
    That's what it looks like from the FB page, but sounds like they'll also serve food?

I'll bet it's a Pink summer coffee shop only.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The coffee shop that's actually a bar and restaurant? http://www.mvcillairne.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Same people involved anyway, and they have a chef moved here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Same people involved anyway, and they have a chef moved here.

his/her/its name isn't pinksummer is it.

Looking at his stature I don't think pinksummer is an alias he would pick for himself LOL.
    Now on the other hand, there is somebody else there...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pinksummer

i happen to love the colour pink and it is summertime!! looking forward to a coffee on the pink boat if and when it opens!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm expecting a good discount for Boardsies when it opens pinksummer, seeing as you're getting a good bit of free advertising here. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I think it's a great idea and I hope they do really well. Galway's waterways are completely under-utilised, be it the Mud Dock, the Corrib or the Eglinton Canal. Just look at the Claddagh Basin for example. If this was mainland Europe, there would be multiple floating cafes, restaurants, shops etc. both in there and on the canal, and I firmly believe it would really add to the areas in a positive way. This does not mean it would not still be able to be used for the kayak clubs, residents etc...they could really work well together. As it is now, it seems to me the Claddagh Residents Association think they own the Claddagh Basin and the Lough Corrib Navigation Trustees don't seem to have any interest in promoting its use or encouraging navigation (definitely not since the bridges were built over the canal) even though their remit is to protect the navigation. I had plans to open a floating restaurant there years ago but it was an uphill battle to get anywhere with the LCNT and the CRA, with one member of the residents association even exclaiming "over my dead body" whilst trying to engage in dialogue with them.
    The City Manager at the time was very enthusiastic about the plan and gave it his backing, as were the members of the Chamber of Commerce, the Galway Harbour Company, numerous local businesses etc. but their hands were tied due to veto power of the LCNT; and if I remember correctly, at least 3 of the members of the LCNT at the time who voted against it when the proposal was put to them were either from the Claddagh area or living there. Coincidence…
    Anyway, the Mud Dock is Galway City's predecessor to the current commercial docks. It is of significant historical importance to Galway and therefore any initiative which would help to rejuvenate the dock itself is a very welcome change in my book.
    Best of luck to all involved in the new business venture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Ad spotted in the Galway Advertiser today, all is revealed on the website http://maggiesdockgalway.com/.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Not much going on on that website!

The ad doesn't really stand out either. Had to go through the paper four times to find it.
    The article above it is a great promo for a friend and ex co-worker of mine though. Pity I'm veggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ad spotted in the Galway Advertiser today, all is revealed on the website http://maggiesdockgalway.com/.

Some Irish companies should just not bother with a website. That's such a half ass attempt. And it's Wordpress too, which is simple to use!

Here's another winner. Click on the hyperlink they put in for the changed service in the text.

http://www.blasketislands.ie/

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Some Irish companies should just not bother with a website. That's such a half ass attempt. And it's Wordpress too, which is simple to use!

Oh give it a rest.

You'd give out if they didn't have a website. Now you're giving out that they do!

It's a perfectly adequate starter website for now, and has the stubs to let them add more content as they work out the details. It's far better to have no information about thigns than wrong information.

Writing the content is always more time consuming than building the bones of the site. And they won't have useful pictures until the place is up and running.

• Advertisement

Oh give it a rest.

You'd give out if they didn't have a website. Now you're giving out that they do!

It's a perfectly adequate starter website for now, and has the stubs to let them add more content as they work out the details. It's far better to have no information about thigns than wrong information.

Writing the content is always more time consuming than building the bones of the site. And they won't have useful pictures until the place is up and running.

So build a Facebook Page and leave it at that. You can put all you want on that and odds are they are more familiar with it. Also, fine, don't have any information...but also don't have that garbage on the site. Put up Coming soon with a single picture. If they sent out a leaflet about their business drawn in Crayon, I'd say that's unprofessional, this is the same thing. It's unprofessional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Wompa1 wrote: »
    So build a Facebook Page and leave it at that. You can put all you want on that and odds are they are more familiar with it. Also, fine, don't have any information...but also don't have that garbage on the site.

I'm confused :(. Can't understand why you say there's "no information" on the website. It's a café/restaurant right? So the main thing one needs to know is what's on the menu. And there's a menu on this website, i.e. very useful information. If I need to clarify opening hours or some such, there's a phone number to ring. I am impressed that a small business of this nature has gone to the trouble of creating website, however basic the platform.

One of my pet hates is restaurants who don't bother with a website and have only a Facebook page with bugger all information on it. There are quite a few culprits in Galway. Also, makes my blood boil if I go to the trouble of checking out a website and all that's there is "Coming soon". So what? How do I know to be excited if I don't know what kind of restaurant you are? If you can't be bothered to tell me what you're serving, I can't be bothered to visit your premises. Against my better judgement I broke that rule earlier this week and ended up having to order from a menu with nothing on it I wanted (same with my companion) because it was a small, owner-run place and we couldn't leave without it being a big deal.

FWIW, I wandered past it early this afternoon. No customers aboard, and it was hard to tell from the outside if it was even open - I eventually spotted a small sign, but would have been forgiven for thinking the place was all about renting curraghs.

I hope they do well, but suspect they need to work a lot more on publicity and making themselves a destination, it's not a spot with a lot of passing foot traffic.

I'm confused :(. Can't understand why you say there's "no information" on the website. It's a café/restaurant right? So the main thing one needs to know is what's on the menu. And there's a menu on this website, i.e. very useful information. If I need to clarify opening hours or some such, there's a phone number to ring. I am impressed that a small business of this nature has gone to the trouble of creating website, however basic the platform.

One of my pet hates is restaurants who don't bother with a website and have only a Facebook page with bugger all information on it. There are quite a few culprits in Galway. Also, makes my blood boil if I go to the trouble of checking out a website and all that's there is "Coming soon". So what? How do I know to be excited if I don't know what kind of restaurant you are? If you can't be bothered to tell me what you're serving, I can't be bothered to visit your premises. Against my better judgement I broke that rule earlier this week and ended up having to order from a menu with nothing on it I wanted (same with my companion) because it was a small, owner-run place and we couldn't leave without it being a big deal.

That's ok, you have a different opinion than I do. Nothing wrong with that. It takes less than an hour to build a decent website in Wordpress. You select the template and what layout you want and inject in whatever content you want to display. Even with such little effort required, they've managed to make this look hack. If they put that little effort into likely their most powerful marketing tool, I wouldn't be too confident in the rest of their brand.

And for what it's worth. This set me off, due to seeing a few Irish sites right before it. Am planning a trip back home in a couple of months. It doesn't do well selling Irelands service prowess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

I have to say I'm kinda intrigued now. The pink looks horrible, but hey, there's no such thing as bad publicity, right?

From their FB page they do a BBQ on Sundays @ €12 for two courses plus salad plus desert. This is on par with any of the usual carvery crap served in pubs on a Sunday, so I'm tempted to have a try tomorrow. If I do I'll report back with an honest review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

ratracer wrote: »

From their FB page they do a BBQ on Sundays @ €12 for two courses plus salad plus desert. This is on par with any of the usual carvery crap served in pubs on a Sunday, so I'm tempted to have a try tomorrow. If I do I'll report back with an honest review.

I'm going to give the BBQ a try too today. Something different at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Sounds like a board's bbq today. What time is it open I might head along myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The bbq was advertised as 15euro in the advertiser, but 12 on their th page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I might head along myself.
    I'm going to give the BBQ a try too today.
    ratracer wrote: »
    I'm tempted to have a try tomorrow. If I do I'll report back with an honest review.

Well, how was the BBQ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

J o e wrote: »
    Well, how was the BBQ?

I didn't go yesterday, those rain showers kept me at bay!!

Advertisement