Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal soccer ban

Options
  • 28-05-2014 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

I got banned this morning from the soccer forum for a month for talking back to a moderator. (accumulation of yellows)

I have tried to resolve this by PM with T4TF but we had no joy.

Basically the yellow card came from a feedback thread where I was having a discussion with a poster regarding hypocrisy. He claimed to be offended/irritated by the word Chelski saying people who used it were very childish and added nothing to the discussion.

I pointed out to him that he had recently been way more childish during the last Liverpool V Chelsea game where he taunted and goaded Liverpool fans after a Chelsea victory. As this was a feedback thread I thought this was pretty relevant as one of the blights of the forum is sneaky hypocritical posters who pretend to get offended by stuff in order to get other posters carded.

Beasty came in and told me to stop with the digs towards this particular poster and to cut it out. I responded to him that hypocrisy was a problem with the forum and that this was feedback from me which is kinda what the thread is all about. I got a yellow and a months ban (due to an accumulation of yellow cards throughout the season)

Given that the thread I was posting in was feedback I think I was within my rights to respond to the mod and explain myself. I think a months ban for my seasons 'crimes' is way too harsh Can somebody look at this please. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hi Pighead,

As Beasty originally put the warning in the thread and you were warned for arguing with him, I'll be dealing with this so as theres no perceived prejudice on Beastys part, not that there would be, but its just fairer for all involved.

Gimme a few minutes to read through it all and get back to you with my decision.

Thanks.

Pighead wrote: »
    I got banned this morning from the soccer forum for a month for talking back to a moderator. (accumulation of yellows)

I have tried to resolve this by PM with T4TF but we had no joy.

Basically the yellow card came from a feedback thread where I was having a discussion with a poster regarding hypocrisy. He claimed to be offended/irritated by the word Chelski saying people who used it were very childish and added nothing to the discussion.

Under the terms of our charter, name calling like Chelski is abuse, its not going to go away. For instance if someone starts name calling any other teams, just because its not in the charter doesnt mean they wont be carded/banned, name calling is childish and will only rile up fans of said club.
    I pointed out to him that he had recently been way more childish during the last Liverpool V Chelsea game where he taunted and goaded Liverpool fans after a Chelsea victory. As this was a feedback thread I thought this was pretty relevant as one of the blights of the forum is sneaky hypocritical posters who pretend to get offended by stuff in order to get other posters carded.

The users posts in another thread should have really been reported on the day and the mods would have a taken a look at it there and then, dragging it intot he feedback thread wasnt really the best way to deal with it, especially a month on from the game.

I',m also unsure to what you mean by sneaky hypocritical posters, if a poster has an issue he/she reports it, given chelsk, under the cnharter is a viable issue, its going to wind up people and they'll report it.
    Beasty came in and told me to stop with the digs towards this particular poster and to cut it out. I responded to him that hypocrisy was a problem with the forum and that this was feedback from me which is kinda what the thread is all about. I got a yellow and a months ban (due to an accumulation of yellow cards throughout the season)

Given that the thread I was posting in was feedback I think I was within my rights to respond to the mod and explain myself. I think a months ban for my seasons 'crimes' is way too harsh Can somebody look at this please. Thanks.

Well thats not right, a CMod asked you to cut out your persistence of having a go at another poster, which was covered by the OP of the thread here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90538191&postcount=1
    No scapegoating of individual posters or Moderators. This isn't to turn into a witch hunt against people you don't like. This isnt a point scoring thread, this is yere chance to tell us what we should or should not be doing

If you had an issue with the poster or his posting style you can report his posts from the thread that you had an issue with.

The long a short of your 4th yelow and subsequent 1 month ban is that you're arguing with a CMod on thread about a warning he put in place, which is a site wide no no.

This is the 3rd time this season you've been carded for in thread arguing with Mods in the soccer forum.

As a result I will not be lifting the card or ban.

you may, if you wish, ask for an Admin to review my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Under the terms of our charter, name calling like Chelski is abuse, its not going to go away. For instance if someone starts name calling any other teams, just because its not in the charter doesnt mean they wont be carded/banned, name calling is childish and will only rile up fans of said club.
    So are you saying that I shouldn't have been talking about the Chelski issue? I'm genuinely confused here. It was a feedback thread where members of the community where asked to flesh out problems they have with the forum. If I had known beforehand that there was no way the Chelski rule is going away I probably wouldn't have bothered posting about it. What's the point of these feedback threads if the rules aren't up for discussion?

The users posts in another thread should have really been reported on the day and the mods would have a taken a look at it there and then, dragging it into the feedback thread wasnt really the best way to deal with it, especially a month on from the game.
    The users posts on the day were seen by a mod and he was warned to stop (no yellow). It just highlights one of the problems of the forum. A Chelsea fan goes into an opposition fans thread after a Chelsea win and posts 'still laughing at your bitterness!mr nobody!' and gets a slap on the wrists for it.

I',m also unsure to what you mean by sneaky hypocritical posters, if a poster has an issue he/she reports it, given chelsk, under the cnharter is a viable issue, its going to wind up people and they'll report it.
    It's sneaky and hypocritical to call out others for being childish when you have a history of being way more childish than those you accuse. People pretending to be offended by stuff when in reality they're chuckling behind their keyboards delighted that they've managed to get somebody a yellow card.

Well thats not right, a CMod asked you to cut out your persistence of having a go at another poster, which was covered by the OP of the thread here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90538191&postcount=1

If you had an issue with the poster or his posting style you can report his posts from the thread that you had an issue with.[/QUOTE]
    Hang on a second first off it was a feedback thread where I was involved in the discussion about exactly how offensive and childish the word Chelski is. Pointing out that the poster in question had been just as childish and offensive was entirely relevant to the discussion,

What's the difference in what I did yesterday and the type of posts that quote a posters opinion from months ago to show they're speaking through their arse? I have posted quite a few of those type of posts (which a lot of people don't seem to like by the way) yet that isn't considered to be against the charter.
    The long a short of your 4th yelow and subsequent 1 month ban is that you're arguing with a CMod on thread about a warning he put in place, which is a site wide no no.

This is the 3rd time this season you've been carded for in thread arguing with Mods in the soccer forum.

As a result I will not be lifting the card or ban.

you may, if you wish, ask for an Admin to review my decision.
    The arguing with a mod thing is a joke. What if the mod has made a rubbish call and there should never have been a warning?

You say this is the third time I've argued with a mod. Two of those were for the same incident where Mars Bar marched into an interesting discussion and declared 'No more discussion about Tom Cleverly'. In a Manchester Utd discussion thread. Ridiculous.

This bull**** of 'Oh but you should have PM'd the moderator and not disrupt the thread. The thread was disrupted by Mars Bar. The system cannot be changed with a private one on one discussion with Mars Bar.

PM way of sorting things out usually goes something like this.

Pighead: I think you were wrong to post 'Stop all Cleverly debate'.
    Mars Bar: I don't.
    Pighead: I don't understand why you're stopping a debate about a Man Utd player in a Man Utd thread.
    Mars Bar: Decision stands.

Maybe it's tougher for the moderator to explain their actions in public but if they've made a wrong decision they should have to face criticism from the forum. Or if Pighead is told the majority agree with Mars Bar he can walk away happier thinking '**** it I called that one wrong'

The take it to PM basically absolves the mod of getting called out for making a crappy decision.

My first yellow of the season was obviously a lighthearted joke as well which the mod who carded me admitted at the time. However seeing as it technically broke the charter a yellow card was thrown out. Surely a common sense call should be made there?

xxxxxxx wrote:
    Bye bye you big girl. Try using your feet instead of your hands. One useless pile of 50 million shiote
    Pighead wrote:
    He's probably been the best player on the pitch today ya big eejit. That's three rubbish posts in this thread today. Up your game you useless pile of 0 million shiote.

Pighead wrote: »
    So are you saying that I shouldn't have been talking about the Chelski issue? I'm genuinely confused here. It was a feedback thread where members of the community where asked to flesh out problems they have with the forum. If I had known beforehand that there was no way the Chelski rule is going away I probably wouldn't have bothered posting about it. What's the point of these feedback threads if the rules aren't up for discussion?

So in essence you want us to drop the abuse rule so its open season on stupid and childish name calling of teams, players, officials, etc etc

The users posts on the day were seen by a mod and he was warned to stop (no yellow). It just highlights one of the problems of the forum. A Chelsea fan goes into an opposition fans thread after a Chelsea win and posts 'still laughing at your bitterness!mr nobody!' and gets a slap on the wrists for it.

It's sneaky and hypocritical to call out others for being childish when you have a history of being way more childish than those you accuse. People pretending to be offended by stuff when in reality they're chuckling behind their keyboards delighted that they've managed to get somebody a yellow card.
    Well thats up to the mid on the day to deal with it, maybe it wasnt reported, maybe it was.

You can understand a fast moving thread like one on that day, things are missed unless reported.
    Hang on a second first off it was a feedback thread where I was involved in the discussion about exactly how offensive and childish the word Chelski is. Pointing out that the poster in question had been just as childish and offensive was entirely relevant to the discussion,

What's the difference in what I did yesterday and the type of posts that quote a posters opinion from months ago to show they're speaking through their arse? I have posted quite a few of those type of posts (which a lot of people don't seem to like by the way) yet that isn't considered to be against the charter.
    Chelski is pretty childish and will wind people, which is why we've been carding it. You werent carded for that reason, it was for ignoring a CMods instruction.
    The arguing with a mod thing is a joke. What if the mod has made a rubbish call and there should never have been a warning?
    then PM a mod and discuss it, taking it to the open forum isnt allowed anywhere on the site.
    You say this is the third time I've argued with a mod. Two of those were for the same incident where Mars Bar marched into an interesting discussion and declared 'No more discussion about Tom Cleverly'. In a Manchester Utd discussion thread. Ridiculous.

This bull**** of 'Oh but you should have PM'd the moderator and not disrupt the thread. The thread was disrupted by Mars Bar. The system cannot be changed with a private one on one discussion with Mars Bar.
    Maybe it cant but you can PM the mod and ask for some info on why the warning is in place and accept it and move on or go onthread, argue and pick up a card.
    PM way of sorting things out usually goes something like this.

Pighead: I think you were wrong to post 'Stop all Cleverly debate'.
    Mars Bar: I don't.
    Pighead: I don't understand why you're stopping a debate about a Man Utd player in a Man Utd thread.
    Mars Bar: Decision stands.

Maybe it's tougher for the moderator to explain their actions in public but if they've made a wrong decision they should have to face criticism from the forum. Or if Pighead is told the majority agree with Mars Bar he can walk away happier thinking '**** it I called that one wrong'

The take it to PM basically absolves the mod of getting called out for making a crappy decision.
    A mod will make a decision about in thread warnings usually on the back of what they see or where they see the thread going, to keep it on topic and to stop the flaming going on an on thread warning is usually the first course of action.
    My first yellow of the season was obviously a lighthearted joke as well which the mod who carded me admitted at the time. However seeing as it technically broke the charter a yellow card was thrown out. Surely a common sense call should be made there?
    If you've an issue with that yellow you probably should have brought it up.

As it stands you're 4th yellow came from arguing with a CMod on thread and as a result the 4th card is a 1 month ban.

My decision stands so at this time you can request an Admin review or accept the 1 month ban.

So in essence you want us to drop the abuse rule so its open season on stupid and childish name calling of teams, players, officials, etc etc

Well thats up to the mid on the day to deal with it, maybe it wasnt reported, maybe it was.

You can understand a fast moving thread like one on that day, things are missed unless reported.

Chelski is pretty childish and will wind people, which is why we've been carding it. You werent carded for that reason, it was for ignoring a CMods instruction.

then PM a mod and discuss it, taking it to the open forum isnt allowed anywhere on the site.

Maybe it cant but you can PM the mod and ask for some info on why the warning is in place and accept it and move on or go onthread, argue and pick up a card.

A mod will make a decision about in thread warnings usually on the back of what they see or where they see the thread going, to keep it on topic and to stop the flaming going on an on thread warning is usually the first course of action.
    If you've an issue with that yellow you probably should have brought it up.

As it stands you're 4th yellow came from arguing with a CMod on thread and as a result the 4th card is a 1 month ban.

My decision stands so at this time you can request an Admin review or accept the 1 month ban.
    We're reached an impasse here GavRed. We have fundamentally different views on how a feedback thread should work. This whole 'Mods are Gods' and don't dare address them on thread is a farce imo. Tell you what, Pighead's willing to meet you in the middle and take a two week ban on the chin and return for the World Cup.

At the end of the day I'm not a troublemaker and doubt I attract many if any reported posts. Don't ruin Pighead's World Cup dream. If the answer is no, we'll leave it at that. No need for admin.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately Pighead I'm only here to deal with the appeal.

If you want to shorten the ban you'll have to go back to the Mod who carded you, T4TF and discuss it with him.

Your current options regarding the DRP, that I can help you here, is either a) Get an admin to review and negate the 4th card and ban or b) leave it as is and serve the 1 month ban.

Unfortunately Pighead I'm only here to deal with the appeal.

If you want to shorten the ban you'll have to go back to the Mod who carded you, T4TF and discuss it with him.

Your current options regarding the DRP, that I can help you here, is either a) Get an admin to review and negate the 4th card and ban or b) leave it as is and serve the 1 month ban.
    Fair enough. Sure go on then and ask an admin to have mercy on me. Lets try for a World Cup miracle. Thanks.

Will do my man.

Can an Admin please review this decision, thanks.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The yellow card was for arguing with a moderator on-thread. Your defence is that you feel there should be an exception to the rule about arguing with moderators on-thread if it happens to be a feedback thread.

Feedback threads are not exempt from site or forum rules. It's possible that some rules may be relaxed in the context of such threads in order to allow for the fact that they contain meta-discussions about the forum rather than discussions about the forum topic, but the rule about arguing with moderation is a sitewide rule that's in place for good reason.

I'm upholding the card.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement