Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014-15 LOI in Europe *see mod warning in op*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Based on the match report, Sligo had plenty of decent chances to grab an away goal - could come back to haunt them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Had the lions share of the ball but the legs definitely started to give in the last fifteen minutes or so. All of a sudden no one was tracking back and the defence was in last ditch mode. Had that happened against virtually any LOI side we'd have been punished for it.

I hope Lithuanian sides make for bad travellers because I can see us fretting about the dreaded away goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Two absolutely sh*te teams. They are the sloppiest team I've seen in a long time. If they could pass we were f*cked.

Going out to Banga will be more embarrassing than it was losing to the Albanian side that was trying to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Derry have scored

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

1-0 Derry after 15 McEleany

Linfield also 1-0 away from home too for anyone interested

2-0 Derry Peno 25 Patterson, There keeper sent off too

2-0 Derry Peno 25 Patterson, There keeper sent off too

looking good for Derry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE VENUE
    St Patrick's Athletic regrettably announce that due to the anticipated crowd and potential health and safety issues raised by An Garda Síochána, Richmond Park has been deemed an unsuitable venue to host the home leg of our second round UEFA Champions League qualifier against Legia Warsaw.

The decision has been made after numerous discussions with the local authorities and An Garda Síochána, with Richmond Park always being the club's preferred venue for the tie.

We can now confirm that the match will take place on Wednesday 23rd of July, at 19:45 in Tallaght Stadium.

Due to the numerous organisational changes that will occur, tickets will consequently be released for sale early next week.

Roughly translated

" De fook am i dealing with 2000 drunk poles, let tallaght station sort it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

3-0 Derry now, happy days.

• Advertisement

Linfield also won 2-1, 88min winner
    Crusaders lead Erkanus 3-0 at home at minute
    Derry 3 Up, Sligo drew
    Glenavon drawing 0-0 away from home too

A fantastic week in Europe for the island as a whole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

4-0 Derry Full Time.

Cracking win for Derry

Great week all round
    Played 3
    Won 2
    Drew 1
    Lost 0
    For 6
    Against 0

When is the last time 3 teams went through a round together does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Roughly translated

Why was rds not an option.. surely they could fill tallaght twice over with amount if poles at the game plus interest from other home based Lou fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Roughly translated

Assume pats schooligans will develop flu that night :)

Decent results for the league. Fair play. Crusaders result a measure of just how pathetic we were under Kenny.

Why was rds not an option.. surely they could fill tallaght twice over with amount if poles at the game plus interest from other home based Lou fans?

Horsey show i assume.

anncoates wrote: »
    Assume pats schooligans will develop flu that night :)

Hope so, your 40 year old ultras fancy a "scrim"? I think is the technical term for it. Or Scrum not sure really, have yet to watch the hobbit in green street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 HSAJT

Great week all round
    Played 3
    Won 2
    Drew 1
    Lost 0
    For 6
    Against 0

When is the last time 3 teams went through a round together does anyone know?

Let's see today is Thursday, so I would say never!

Would be interested to hear if anyone knows their history and can say if it has ever been done before.

HSAJT wrote: »
    Let's see today is Thursday, so I would say never!

Would be interested to hear if anyone knows their history and can say if it has ever been done before.

Only had 3 teams in europe since 02??? 4 since 05 maybe.

Fairly sure its never been done but could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

In 2006, Cork City (Champions League), Derry City, Drogheda United (UEFA Cup) and Shelbourne (Intertoto Cup) all progressed passed the first round. Though, I don't think it would have all been at the same time. The Intertoto usually started a couple of weeks before the other two. In 2008, three of the four European representatives (Drogheda, Pats and Bohs) all went passed the first round (Cork City were the ones knocked out). Since then, it's just been one or two teams going through a round or two.

In saying that, though, there's no guarantee that we'll have three teams going into the next round yet. Dundalk's two goal lead is hardly impenetrable and Sligo only drew their match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cracking win for Derry

We could have had double figures if Patterson had his shooting boots on, and we had really pushed for it. They were a poor side and I don't think our keeper made a single save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

How will this effect our coefficient for next year? Will it just mean a better chance of being seeded in the first round? I also think this shows how much some of the clubs have advanced in recent years and that the top clubs actually play decent quality football now and not just hoof and run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Raoul wrote: »
    How will this effect our coefficient for next year? Will it just mean a better chance of being seeded in the first round? I also think this shows how much some of the clubs have advanced in recent years and that the top clubs actually play decent quality football now and not just hoof and run.

or they were playing particularly bad opposition.

• Advertisement

I also think this shows how much some of the clubs have advanced in recent years and that the top clubs actually play decent quality football now and not just hoof and run.
    Jaysus lads, people are getting pretty carried away here.

Derry have beaten a side that finished 7th in the Welsh Premier and are still in pre-season.

Sligo just about managed a draw against a side lying 6th in the Lithuanian top flight.

Dundalk’s result I’d say was the stand-out one – those Luxembourg lads knocked out Finnish opposition last year and winning away from home in Europe is always a good result.

But results have generally been poor over the last 3 or 4 years, so the league’s ranking has dropped a good 10 places or so. Hence the handier draws. I mean, compare the draws this year to last year.

I am not getting carried away. I just think the football in the league is a lot better than it used to be. Even 5/6 years ago a lot of teams were just lumping it forward rather than getting it down on the ground and passing which I think Dundalk, Pats and Sligo do. I realise that opponents are poor but it is good to see Derry and Dundalk not struggle against them. Dundalk probably were unlucky not to have won by more than 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Summer football has been a help.
    better pitches and a better standard of young players in clubs

Even 5/6 years ago a lot of teams were just lumping it forward rather than getting it down on the ground and passing which I think Dundalk, Pats and Sligo do.
    I’m not sure I agree. Most LOI sides have been playing good football over the last decade or so. Sure, there have been some exceptions, most notably, any team managed by Alan Matthews. But generally speaking, especially with the advent of summer soccer, the emphasis has been on keeping the ball on the deck.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Summer football has been a help.
    better pitches and a better standard of young players in clubs

Sure Oriels perfect all year round :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

How will this effect our coefficient for next year

Neil O'Riordan on Twitter today:

"18 countries have had clubs play 3 or more European games already & #LOI have done best of them with 2 wins & draw for 0.625 points. Last year we got 0.25 from 8 games but as it stands we'll still be 0.8 down for 2015 on this year as calculated over five-year cycle."

Last year really was horrendous, and it going to hurt us for a while. Good start to this year. If we get all 3 through and perhaps 1 or 2 through the next round it'll be good going. Any sort of result for Pats would be nice too.

Neil O'Riordan on Twitter today:

"18 countries have had clubs play 3 or more European games already & #LOI have done best of them with 2 wins & draw for 0.625 points. Last year we got 0.25 from 8 games but as it stands we'll still be 0.8 down for 2015 on this year as calculated over five-year cycle."

Last year really was horrendous, and it going to hurt us for a while. Good start to this year. If we get all 3 through and perhaps 1 or 2 through the next round it'll be good going. Any sort of result for Pats would be nice too.
    At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter all that much. Higher coefficient means tougher draws, leading to lower coefficient. Lower coefficient means easier draws, leading to higher coefficient.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

djpbarry wrote: »
    At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter all that much. Higher coefficient means tougher draws, leading to lower coefficient. Lower coefficient means easier draws, leading to higher coefficient.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Opposite of that is probably better play in lower rounds get tru 3 rounds = nearly 400k from Uefa. In CL its a lot more, probably better to do that. But downside is kazakfcukingstan etc:

Opposite of that is probably better play in lower rounds get tru 3 rounds = nearly 400k from Uefa. In CL its a lot more, probably better to do that.
    True - didn't think of the prize money issue.

djpbarry wrote: »

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Higher co-efficient means for the moment you play non-seeded teams in the draw. I think only Sligo played as a seeded team. At the moment we are non seeded teams playing seeded teams.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Pretty sure we were seeded in the CL a couple of years ago. Unfortunately we got drawn with the sleeping unseeded European giants that are TNS. We were promptly dispatched with. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,608 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Higher co-efficient means for the moment you play non-seeded teams in the draw. I think only Sligo played as a seeded team. At the moment we are non seeded teams playing seeded teams.

Derry were also seeded, by virtue of being re-united with the remaining points for their previous Ltd incarnation.

It helps a bit but its no guarantee of the other team being weaker - a club which hasn't got in to Europe for a few years but then does by virtue of a huge investment on the field will have an atrocious coefficient in comparison to a team who qualify repeatedly from the last place in their league and don't acheive much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Summer football goves us the best chance of success in Europe.

We are in the swing of the season, and our opponents will always be in the pre-season phase, so will not be up to speed. Derry were on a different level completely to Aberystwyth last week, we could have scored double figures. Have no doubt we will win away as well if we try.

The next game v the Belarus team will be a different proposition.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Summer football goves us the best chance of success in Europe.

We are in the swing of the season, and our opponents will always be in the pre-season phase, so will not be up to speed. Derry were on a different level completely to Aberystwyth last week, we could have scored double figures. Have no doubt we will win away as well if we try.

The next game v the Belarus team will be a different proposition.

Although in fairness the Lithuanians play Summer Football as well (or start very very early with a winter break) Usually we are grouped with Northern or Eastern teams in these regional draws and we end up playing teams that play Summer footall as well - just got a bit lucky this year.

Higher co-efficient means for the moment you play non-seeded teams in the draw...
    ...or you get a bye into a later qualifying round, which generally means tougher opposition. As others have said, in the earlier qualifying rounds, I don't think seeding makes that much of a difference most of the time. Unless you're really unlucky and draw Rosenborg or something.

• Advertisement

Our 2nd round (If we get through Thursday of course) has been changed and we will now play the 1st leg in Oriel and not in Croatia

Will mean a sell out for us anyway should it happen which is good

Our 2nd round (If we get through Thursday of course) has been changed and we will now play the 1st leg in Oriel and not in Croatia

Will mean a sell out for us anyway should it happen which is good

Did Dundalk change that? Throwing in the towel already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Did Dundalk change that? Throwing in the Towell already?

There's a nice pun opportunity missed if ever I saw one.

Omackeral wrote: »
    There's a nice pun opportunity missed if ever I saw one.

Ah, you beat me to it.

"Throwing in the towel? :confused:...he starts every game"

Did Dundalk change that? Throwing in the towel already?

Actually No, sure they are not even in the next round so how could they change it? Its home leg for the 1st game for whoever goes through Thursday

There is a festival on in Split the week of the 1st leg using their stadium and they requested the change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Derry 2 up after 20 minutes. 6-0 on aggregate.

Crusaders have beaten Ekranas 2-1 away, 5-2 on aggregate.

Great result for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I know they're not LOI but Irish League outfit Crusaders have disposed of Ekranas 5-2 on aggregate. Good result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Still 0-0 at The Showgrounds, with Rovers coming the closest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

1-0 Rovers on the stroke of half-time.

Everyone's favourite fullback, Alan Keane.

Advertisement