Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014-15 LOI in Europe *see mod warning in op*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Oat23 wrote: »
    1-0 Rovers on the stroke of half-time.

Everyone's favourite fullback, Alan Keane.

We should be a couple up though against 10 men at this stage. Some good chances created, against a little dirty play in the last 10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Also, Gary Rogers for Ireland. What a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Dundalk 1 up. 3-0 on aggregate.

Banga down to 10 now. If we don't win this I will honestly start to believe we are cursed in Europe.

20 minutes left.

Edit:

2-0 Greene!

2-0 to Rovers against 10 men Banga. Rosenborg here we come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

5-0 to Derry

Oat. Your not at the back of the Tracy Avenue stand by any chance.

:D

5-0 to Derry

On the night or aggregate. Was 2-0 (6-0) last I heard.

5-0 to night. 9-0 on aggregate to Derry.

Danny North makes it 3 for Rovers.

• Advertisement

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Oat. Your not at the back of the Tracy Avenue stand by any chance.

I'm following twitter updates tonight. I bought an overpriced ticket though.

Derry have set a new aggregate record win for a LOI side in Europe I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We have indeed.

Having said that, if honest, have to say Aber were pants.

Oat23 wrote: »
    I'm following twitter updates tonight. I bought an overpriced ticket though.

Derry have set a new aggregate record win for a LOI side in Europe I believe.

Was well worth it, hopefully they will continue the form on at the weekend against UCD. I assume Rosenborg are still leading their tie, will be a different prospect all together.

GOAL 4 AS I TYPE!!

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Was well worth it, hopefully they will continue the form on at the weekend against UCD. I assume Rosenborg are still leading their tie, will be a different prospect all together.

GOAL 4 AS I TYPE!!

Rosenberg won 2-0 in Latvia and went through 6-0 on aggregate. They're good but not as good as they used to be. Knocked out by St Johnstone last year after thrashing Crusaders. Pity Sligo arent in better form this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

3 good wins for the LOI teams tonight. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Fantastic night for Irish soccer with all three League of Ireland clubs progressing in the UEFA Europa League tonight and in some style. Derry City 5-0 win tonight and 9-0 on aggregate against Aberystwyth Town, Sligo Rovers 4-0 win tonight and on aggregate against Banga of Lithuania and Dundalk 3-1 win tonight and 5-1 on aggregate against Jeunesse Esch of Luxembourg.
    Record reads P6 W5 D1 L0 F18 A1 over the first six games of the Europa League campaign. I hope this overall performance gets called out by the Irish media tomorrow morning.
    Well done Derry City, Sligo Rovers and Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Well done to all teams tonight.

The Derry City 9-0 aggregate win over Aberystwyth Town is a record aggregate European win for a League of Ireland club in Europe!

Fantastic night for Irish soccer with all three League of Ireland clubs progressing in the UEFA Europa League tonight and in some style. Derry City 5-0 win tonight and 9-0 on aggregate against Aberystwyth Town, Sligo Rovers 4-0 win tonight and on aggregate against Banga of Lithuania and Dundalk 3-1 win tonight and 5-1 on aggregate against Jeunesse Esch of Luxembourg.
    Record reads P6 W5 D1 L0 F18 A1 over the first six games of the Europa League campaign. I hope this overall performance gets called out by the Irish media tomorrow morning.

Well as long as Arsenal don't sign Sanchez, or there is some tennis competition on somewhere in the world, the Irish media might just mention these results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well done to all 3 clubs.

Great to hear some positive news on Irish football for change

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Certainly is great and hopefully one team will be able to pull off a shock in future rounds.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Getting the impression from the match report that Sligo's win wasn't as comfortable as the scoreline suggests? Could have gone either way until Banga had a man sent off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 HSAJT

Very impressed to see all three sides progressing, especially with 5 wins and a draw (and plenty of goals scored too)
    Just hope the next round fixtures & Pat's tie are at least competitive and don't end up tarnishing the reputation built up so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Fantastic night in Europe for LOI sides.

This grey haired buck was at the Dundalk match.Anyone know who he is?

10386818_773445286040417_7612543769619484262_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We just trying to claw back our failures for the last 5 years and thankfully got decent draws. Fcuked in next round and unlikely we will do any damage in CL next week.

Well done to all LOI teams who won tonight. to make it count we need 3 rounds from all ye for the next 5 years.

I'd be hoping for a couple of surprise results dreamers.Never say die and all that.Dundalk,Sligo and Derry will all be buoyed by last nights results.

Be under no illusions, we are sh*te. We barely drew against a pub team in Lithuania and are going to get spanked by Rosenborg.

I am hoping that Coleman & Bell will go into the game with a better attitude than Baraclough & Stevens went into the Molde game with last year. We were pathetic in those games and we need to go into the Rosenborg game with a nothing to lose attitude and at least give it a go. Baraclough went into the home game against Molde trying to avoid a spanking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Yeah, I remember Baraclough being interviewed by the BBC in the run-up to the Molde game(s) and he didn't come across well in terms of attitude towards anything but a defeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

We had no chance of getting through against Molde. Baraclough isn't capable of lying. That's why our previous manager will do much better in the game.

Its easier if you're a spoofer.

• Advertisement

I can't see Sligo doing much against Rosenborg. Pats are leaking too many goals at the moment to challenge a Polish side.

But, with the form Dundalk are in, they're more than capable of causing an upset against Split.

Likewise, I wouldn't write off Derry's chances against a Belarusian side.

Really have to search the RTE site to gets reports on last nights action, despite all Irish Clubs progressing in EL last night. Anyone know if they got a mention on RTE News?

Was an interesting artical in the Sligo Rovers match program where the reporter asked a question of fellow journalists what they made of the draw (this time last year), where he was met with blank expressions. Fast forward a few weeks later when the first round proper was announced and everyone was talking about it. Seems to be the same again this year.

:(

Last night was a great night for Irish soccer with the convincing manner Derry, Dundalk and Sligo dispatched the opposition. Would not write off any of the League of Ireland clubs chances in the next round of European action, St Pats have the toughest tie with Legia Warsaw. However Rosenborg are not the powerhouse they once were so Sligo have a chance, Hadjuk Spilt are really tough opponents for Dundalk but are out of season, know nothing about Derrys opposition but aside from BATE Borisov no Belarussian team has made an impact in Europe.
    Best wishes to them all and hopefully the Irish soccer public will come out in force to give their support.

Really looking forward to the Derry home game next thursday at the Brandywell, if we could get at least 1 or 2 and keep a clean sheet you just never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Fantastic night in Europe for LOI sides.

This grey haired buck was at the Dundalk match.Anyone know who he is?

Richie Towell being looked at possibly.

Richie Towell being looked at possibly.

Or possibly Sean Gannon or Andy Boyle from what i hear.McCarthy left at h/t which was as well as the 2nd half was dreadful.
    Ipswich are training at Carton house this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

djpbarry wrote: »
    I can't see Sligo doing much against Rosenborg. Pats are leaking too many goals at the moment to challenge a Polish side.

But, with the form Dundalk are in, they're more than capable of causing an upset against Split.

Likewise, I wouldn't write off Derry's chances against a Belarusian side.

I think people are underestimating sides from Belarus. They are at the same level as Polish teams. Dinamo Minsk last year for instance Beat a Lithuanian and Croat team before losing to Trabzonspor by one goal over two legs. Bate have twice been in the group stages of european competition recently.

...hopefully the Irish soccer public will come out in force to give their support.
    I doubt the Irish soccer public are even aware that European club competition has restarted.

I think people are underestimating sides from Belarus. They are at the same level as Polish teams. Dinamo Minsk last year for instance Beat a Lithuanian and Croat team before losing to Trabzonspor by one goal over two legs. Bate have twice been in the group stages of european competition recently.
    Yeah but Shakhtyor have never won a European tie. In the last three seasons, they’ve been knocked out in the second qualifying round by Latvian, Austrian and Moldovan opposition. Derry have every chance of progressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

Or possibly Sean Gannon or Andy Boyle from what i hear.McCarthy left at h/t which was as well as the 2nd half was dreadful.
    Ipswich are training at Carton house this week.

Has Gannon been that good for Dundalk? I was a big fan when he was at Rovers but that was possibly because he came through when he was young, haven't been impressed anytime I have seen him since leaving Tallaght

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

srfc d16 wrote: »
    Has Gannon been that good for Dundalk? I was a big fan when he was at Rovers but that was possibly because he came through when he was young, haven't been impressed anytime I have seen him since leaving Tallaght

Dundalk Fans vote of the website for Player of the Month, and has came 2nd twice and won it once. Has been fantastic.
    Looked nervous and got a lot of complaining about in the first fews games, but after 3 or 4 games, along with Shields (who won the Player of the Month twice) and Towell (who hasnt won it) has been our best player.
    Crazy thing is if Rossiter hadnt of got injured, he prob would have rarely played

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Dundalk Fans vote of the website for Player of the Month, and has came 2nd twice and won it once. Has been fantastic.
    Looked nervous and got a lot of complaining about in the first fews games, but after 3 or 4 games, along with Shields (who won the Player of the Month twice) and Towell (who hasnt won it) has been our best player.
    Crazy thing is if Rossiter hadnt of got injured, he prob would have rarely played

Rossiter got injured in the first game and hasn't been able to get back in the side with Gannon keeping his place. Been very solid going forward and defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

srfc d16 wrote: »

First few games he played with dundalk i thought kenny has lost the plot !

However he has vastly improved with some fantastic runs down the wing
    and definely in my top 3 players this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Just reading about the Pats fan there, awful news :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Poor lad, prob looking forward to this trip the last few weeks and this happens,

God love him and his family.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Any idea what happened?

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

CSF wrote: »
    Any idea what happened?

RIP

Does it matter?

Awful stuff. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Does it matter?

Of course it matters, poor chap has gone to see a football match and will now never get to see another

That's the only response in making to you on this topic.

RIP once again, this hits home in the worst possible way regardless of circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

CSF wrote: »
    Any idea what happened?

RIP

Hearing he died in his sleep but nothing confirmed yet

• Advertisement
Advertisement