Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014-15 LOI in Europe *see mod warning in op*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Does it matter?

Jeez guy, he's only asking. Hope the Saints can keep the tie as a contest for when they come back over here at least. Our clubs have been sensational thus far, I feel like we're good enough to have one get through another round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

It's hard to see anything but a Legia win, it's a huge ask for Pats to come away with even a draw, this side only missed out on the groups due to away goals last season

Hoping I am wrong and I am known to be a jinx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Pint in hand raised to the Saint that passed away may he rest in peace

BELIEVE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

0-1 Fagan!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Omackeral wrote: »
    0-1 Fagan!!!!

Fatigue got them in the end. Great result anyway. Legia were there for the taking though. Hopefully pats can beat them at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Have to respect that result for pats. Probably would have been better to take them back to inchicore on back of that.

Terrible to hear a supporter died. RIP and thoughts with his family and all the pats supporters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Great result for Pats tonight, yet again two fingers up to those that say the LoI is a joke.

Hopefully they can do the business in Tallaght next week.

Lets hope us up here in Derry can record another European victory tomorrow night.

RIP to the PAts fan. Sad news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

NIMAN wrote: »
    Great result for Pats tonight, yet again two fingers up to those that say the LoI is a joke.

Hopefully they can do the business in Tallaght next week.

Lets hope us up here in Derry can record another European victory tomorrow night.

RIP to the PAts fan. Sad news.

Lets hope Rosenberg dont turn up for Sligo Rovers tomorrow night. I fear a hammering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Really gutted for Pats tonight. Watched the lot on a fairly decent stream but it really was fatigue that killed them! Hopefully they'll do the biz next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Good result for Pats, not such a good result for my wallet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Really gutted for Pats tonight. Watched the lot on a fairly decent stream but it really was fatigue that killed them! Hopefully they'll do the biz next week!

The LOI play Summer soccer to give their teams a better chance at European competition. I do wonder how they managed to get so tired even though we're only half-way through the season. They should be at or near their physical prime.

On a different note, the football was of great quality. The ball being played along the ground, no hoof-ball or constant headers, though, I only caught the last 40 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The LOI play Summer soccer to give their teams a better chance at European competition. I do wonder how they managed to get so tired even though we're only half-way through the season. They should be at or near their physical prime.

On a different note, the football was of great quality. The ball being played along the ground, no hoof-ball or constant headers, though, I only caught the last 40 mins.

The tiredness would be more to do with stepping up a few levels in quality and the fact that the ball would be in play a lot more than a loi game and chasing the ball much more than usual. Great performance and hopefully they can get through next week.

Why wouldn't they be tired? This happens at all levels when a team is being put under a lot of pressure by the opposition, not only do their bodies become tired but they also become mentally tired and hence the one or two mistakes in the last 6/7 minutes. This would happen with any team in a similar situation regardless of what level they are playing.

Raoul wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they be tired? This happens at all levels when a team is being put under a lot of pressure by the opposition, not only do their bodies become tired but they also become mentally tired and hence the one or two mistakes in the last 6/7 minutes. This would happen with any team in a similar situation regardless of what level they are playing.

We're talking about fatigue, not tiredness. They are not interchangeable terms. I think the problem here is some people are conflating fatigue with tiredness. I don't follow St. Pats on a weekly basis so I don't know if they're suffering from fatigue, I'm just going by what the poster above said.

I can understand them being tired seeing as they're playing superior competition, the pitch looked bigger and the flow of football was alien to them. It was brilliant to watch and it didn't look like a League of Ireland team out there.

We're talking about fatigue, not tiredness. They are not interchangeable terms. I think the problem here is some people are conflating fatigue with tiredness. I don't follow St. Pats on a weekly basis so I don't know if they're suffering from fatigue, I'm just going by what the poster above said.

I can understand them being tired seeing as they're playing superior competition, the pitch looked bigger and the flow of football was alien to them. It was brilliant to watch and it didn't look like a League of Ireland team out there.
    I had quoted a person talking about tiredness and I would argue tiredness is the more appropriate word to be used in this instance. But I think everyone is in general talking about the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

major bill wrote: »
    ...this side only missed out on the groups due to away goals last season
    There have been plenty of poor sides in the group stages of the Europa League.
    In what sense didn't it look like an LOI side?

djpbarry wrote: »
    In what sense didn't it look like an LOI side?

In a good sense. Most Irish people follow the Premiership because it's attractive football. Pats were playing attractive football last night.

What's everyone's predictions for tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Raoul wrote: »
    What's everyone's predictions for tonight?

Derry to win and to keep a clean sheet.
    Dundalk to win by 1 goal.
    Sligo to lose by 2+.

I cant see Sligo getting anything out of their game I just hope they can keep the score down. Dundalk are in such good form that I can see them winning I dont think Hadjuk Split are to be scared of. The concern would be whether Dundalk can keep a clean sheet which I have doubts over. The team Derry are against dont have a good Euro record and apart from BATE and Dinamo Minsk the Belorussian league wouldnt be great. Derry form has also picked up a bit in the last few weeks which is a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

In a good sense. Most Irish people follow the Premiership because it's attractive football. Pats were playing attractive football last night.
    Pats always play attractive football. They are the best footballing side in Ireland imo.

And most football in the Premiership is far from attractive. If most Irish people cared about attractive football then they would all be following La Liga.

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    Derry to win and to keep a clean sheet.
    Dundalk to win by 1 goal.
    Sligo to lose by 2+.

I cant see Sligo getting anything out of their game I just hope they can keep the score down. Dundalk are in such good form that I can see them winning I dont think Hadjuk Split are to be scared of. The concern would be whether Dundalk can keep a clean sheet which I have doubts over. The team Derry are against dont have a good Euro record and apart from BATE and Dinamo Minsk the Belorussian league wouldnt be great. Derry form has also picked up a bit in the last few weeks which is a plus.

I agree with Dundalk but I don't know if I am letting the magic of the Europa League go to my head and cloud my judgement. Probably being optimistic. If we get a draw, I will be delighted.

I think Sligo will do well to lose by 1 goal.

I don't know about Derry, I predict a score draw.

frimpong wrote: »
    If most Irish people cared about attractive football then they would all be following La Liga.

You must be joking? There's nothing attractive about non-contact football. The theatrics of some continental leagues are an embarrassment to football. La Liga will never pick up here because there's too much diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

You must be joking? There's nothing attractive about non-contact football. The theatrics of some continental leagues are an embarrassment to football. La Liga will never pick up here because there's too much diving.

Yes, because EPL players are all tough Englishmen who never jump to the floor after little to no connect, wave their hands about and shout at the referee.
    Next your going to tell me La Liga players couldn't do it on a Tuesday night in Stoke aren't you?

In a good sense. Most Irish people follow the Premiership because it's attractive football.
    No they don’t. They follow the Premiership because they always have done. They also often buy into the hype that it’s the best league in the world. Plenty of clubs in the Premiership play absolutely awful football, Chelsea and Man Utd last season being good examples.
    Pats were playing attractive football last night.
    Pats have been playing expansive, attacking football for years. Most clubs in the LOI play good football, but most football fans in Ireland have convinced themselves that it’s muck.

If it’s attractive football that people are after, then nobody would have gone to watch Trapattoni’s Ireland.

kksaints wrote: »
    Sligo will be doing well to keep the tie alive. They were lucky in the last round and they’re missing several key players this evening.

I fancy Dundalk and Derry to get good results. Derry are scoring for fun right now and their opponents have a poor record in Europe. Hadjuk will be a different proposition though and I don’t think they’ll underestimate Dundalk like they did Shels. That said, the way Dundalk are playing at the moment, I can see them bagging a win. Not sure they’ll manage a clean sheet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Sligo looking comfortable here at 0-0 almost ht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Stevecw wrote: »

Lovely ground but totally empty. HT now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Stevecw wrote: »

It is now. Jeepers, Rosenborg certainly dont look the team of old. Sligo could nick this.

Couple chances. But by all accounts I missed our best in the first few minutes. A 1-0 to rovers will be a great result to bring back to the showgrounds.

Sligo 1 up. Keane

• Advertisement

Rovers have some how scored, and are leading. \o/

Said it before, Rosenborg are nowhere the team they once were, they are a name that's all, still wouldn't have said a Sligo win though...here's hoping

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Sligo have done well so far. I'd expect them to get pummelled for the rest of the game similar to Pats last night though.

I know Rosenberg aren't the team they were, but what's particularly crazy is Sligo don't even have their strongest team out here.

2-0. Fecking hell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

0-2!!!!! Get in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

this is brilliant

Jaysus 2-0 now! North with the 2nd

Wow! Thats great stuff from Sligo.

• Advertisement

Brilliant!!!

comon Sligo....what a week this could be for Irish Football

This is just crazy, never expected that scoreline.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

LoI
    Wat r u doin
    LoI
    Stahp

This is some result, never expected that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

lol

Still playing well too, another decent effort there. Great stuff

Damn 1 back

• Advertisement

2-1 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

Damn, c'mon lads hold on!