Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014-15 LOI in Europe *see mod warning in op*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Dapics wrote: »
    Shot blocked on the line

A shot from......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Much left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

KevIRL wrote: »
    Much left?

Just a bit less than 20 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Just a bit less than 20 I think
    bit less than 2 would be more like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

overshoot wrote: »
    bit less than 2 would be more like it!

Dead right sorry, I thought I saw a scoreboard say 66, must have been 86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Split 1 up in Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

All over well deserved 2-1 win. Great performance by Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Terrific win for Sligo. Fair play. I didn't give them a chance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That's a very impressive win. Fair play Sligo. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

well done sligo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

YESSSSS!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Great result well done Sligo,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

Great win for us, not many would have predicted that before the game. Unbelievable result, still can't believe it.

kksaints wrote: »
    Derry to win and to keep a clean sheet.
    Dundalk to win by 1 goal.
    Sligo to lose by 2+.

I cant see Sligo getting anything out of their game I just hope they can keep the score down. Dundalk are in such good form that I can see them winning I dont think Hadjuk Split are to be scared of. The concern would be whether Dundalk can keep a clean sheet which I have doubts over. The team Derry are against dont have a good Euro record and apart from BATE and Dinamo Minsk the Belorussian league wouldnt be great. Derry form has also picked up a bit in the last few weeks which is a plus.

Delighted to be wrong about Sligo. Well done to them.

Hopefully Im right about Dundalk and Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

What a brilliant result by Sligo Rovers in the UEFA Europa League, to win 2-1 away in the Lerkendal against Rosenborg is amazing. The Showgrounds will be packed to the rafters for the second leg and hopefully Sligo will finish the job.What a sensational three weeks for Irish soccer in Europe. Hopefully Dundalk can recover against Hadjuk Split.

Derry 1 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

MooShop wrote: »
    Great win for us, not many would have predicted that before the game. Unbelievable result, still can't believe it.

If we had gone away 2 down I would have been happy.

This is something else all together. Only half time though, along way to go yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

That is an absolutely fantastic result for Sligo Rovers and well done to Pats too.
    From Shamrock Rovers supporter

Edit
    Just to clarify I fell off the chair laughing at the TNS result a few years ago!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well done, Sligo. Great win.

• Advertisement

2-0 Split.

kksaints wrote: »
    Derry to win and to keep a clean sheet.
    Dundalk to win by 1 goal.
    Sligo to lose by 2+.

I cant see Sligo getting anything out of their game I just hope they can keep the score down. Dundalk are in such good form that I can see them winning I dont think Hadjuk Split are to be scared of. The concern would be whether Dundalk can keep a clean sheet which I have doubts over. The team Derry are against dont have a good Euro record and apart from BATE and Dinamo Minsk the Belorussian league wouldnt be great. Derry form has also picked up a bit in the last few weeks which is a plus.

Note to self: NEVER make predictions on Irish teams European matches again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Fantastic result for Sligo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Derry still have a chance to get through sounds as if they were very unlucky tonight and gave away a sloppy goal, Sligo and St Pats have a great chance to progress now while I cannot see a way back for Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Disappointing night in Oriel but Dundalk played pretty well this evening. Created plenty of chances with Hoban missing two gilt edged chances. I was surprised with how strong Dundalk looked physically against them. Thought they'd be a bit more imposing. In fairness to them they were very clinical in front of goal. Probably had three chances all game and scored twice.

Chris Shields, our player of the season so far, had a bit of a stinker this evening unfortunately. His first poor game in months. Atmosphere at the beginning of the game was class. Think there was 3014 at the game.

And what a result for Sligo! Brilliant stuff from them. Hopefully they can finish them off next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Hadjuk Split fans had at least 20 flares during the course of the game plus smoke bombs.

I imagine we will receive a fine for that as its our ground they got into with them.

Plus our own fans at the request of the Uefa were asked to stop waving Palestinian flags before the game, stewards couldnt get them to stop so our chairman had to come over and ask them to put them away. Were back out a few times during the game. Id imagine thats a fine too!

Overall they took their chances, we didnt. We more than matched them over 90 minutes. Sean Gannon MOTM again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Hadjuk Split fans had at least 20 flares during the course of the game plus smoke bombs.

I imagine we will receive a fine for that as its our ground they got into with them.

Plus our own fans at the request of the Uefa were asked to stop waving Palestinian flags before the game, stewards couldnt get them to stop so our chairman had to come over and ask them to put them away. Were back out a few times during the game. Id imagine thats a fine too!

Overall they took their chances, we didnt. We more than matched them over 90 minutes. Sean Gannon MOTM again

Why would that attract a fine ? Palestine are FIFA members.Could soon overtake Ireland in rankings too ifrc.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Why would that attract a fine ? Palestine are FIFA members.Could soon overtake Ireland in rankings too ifrc.
    Yeah they're only 15 places behind us.

Then why did UEFA make the Shed boys remove it. Same happened Tuesday night in Solitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Then why did UEFA make the Shed boys remove it. Same happened Tuesday night in Solitude

Good luck to them if they try to prosecute either side for showing support for what is happening in Palestine.
    Sometimes CEO'S & stewards should stay in the crowd and just admire the attendance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Pots for tomorrow set. Bold = Seeded.
    CL:

Group 1
    FC Salzburg (AUT)
    KR Reykjavík (ISL)/Celtic FC (SCO)
    FC BATE Borisov (BLR)/KS Skënderbeu (ALB)
    GNK Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)/VMFD Žalgiris (LTU)
    FC Sheriff (MDA) v FK Sutjeska (MNE)
    Legia Warszawa (POL)/Saint Patrick's Athletic (IRL)
    Cliftonville FC (NIR)/Debreceni VSC (HUN)
    ŠK Slovan Bratislava (SVK)/The New Saints FC (WAL)
    Valletta FC (MLT)/Qarabağ FK (AZE)
    Aalborg BK (DEN)

EL:
    Group 1
    FC Chornomorets Odesa (UKR)
    FC Luzern (SUI)/Saint Johnstone FC (SCO)
    Rosenborg BK (NOR)/Sligo Rovers FC (IRL)
    JK Sillamäe Kalev (EST)/FC Krasnodar (RUS)
    Olympique Lyonnais (FRA)
    1. FSV Mainz 05 (GER)
    FK Mladá Boleslav (CZE)/NK Široki Brijeg (BIH)
    PFC Litex Lovech (BUL)/ Diósgyőri VTK (HUN)
    RNK Split (CRO)/Hapoel Beer Sheva FC (ISR)
    FC Zestafoni (GEO)/FC Spartak Trnava (SVK)
    Kardemir Karabükspor (TUR)
    RoPS Rovaniemi (FIN)/Asteras Tripolis FC (GRE)

Group 3
    Real Sociedad de Fútbol (ESP)

FC Astana (KAZ)/Hapoel Tel-Aviv FC (ISR)
    Atromitos FC (GRE)
    PFC CSKA Sofia (BUL)/FC Zimbru Chisinau (MDA)
    MFK Košice (SVK)/FC Slovan Liberec (CZE)
    SV Zulte Waregem (BEL)/Zawisza Bydgoszcz (POL)
    FC Astra (ROU)
    FK Čukarički (SRB)/SV Grödig (AUT)
    Aberdeen FC (SCO)/FC Gronigen (NED)
    Linfield FC (NIR)/AIK Solna (SWE)
    FK Sarajevo (BIH)/FK Haugesund (NOR)
    Derry City FC (IRL)/FC Shakhtyor Soligorsk (BLR)

Group 5
    Dundalk FC (IRL)/HNK Hajduk Split (CRO)

CFR 1907 Cluj (ROU)/FK Jagodina (SRB)
    Rio Ave FC (POR)
    Bursaspor (TUR)/FC Chikhura Sachkhere (GEO)
    Club Brugge KV (BEL)
    Győri ETO FC (HUN)/IFK Göteborg (SWE)
    FC Dinamo Minsk (BLR)/Myllykosken Pallo-47 (FIN)
    Neftçi PFK (AZE)/FC Koper (SVN)
    FK Atlantas (LTU)/FC Shakhter Karagandy (KAZ)
    Brøndby IF (DEN)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Are sligo seeded because of rosenberg?

gufc21 wrote: »
    Are sligo seeded because of rosenberg?

If the unseeded team wins the tie, they take the spot of the seeded team they beat. So yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Brilliant result for us, we played well but didnt see out the game, cant see us not conceding next week so think we have to score again to get the result. We did well but still playing a far superior team and think they will go tru.

The whole experience from a football fan point of view was insane, they are a level of nasty above everything else I have ever seen(fair few trips Ger x2), put it this way we could lose next week and still get into the next round. i guesstimated 14,000 fans around 200 of us and easily 1200 police/stewards and they were everywhere. Threatened a baton charge at us the night before the game with squads of riot police because pats fans sat outside at 10.01pm.

After the match their players had to stand in front of the home end and receive ****loads of abuse.

Gutted for the Booth family, chap was really nice guy went to loads of our games over the years. Makes everything insignificant really.

Good luck to them if they try to prosecute either side for showing support for what is happening in Palestine.
    Sometimes CEO'S & stewards should stay in the crowd and just admire the attendance!

Was informed that it was deemed a political statement so thats why it was removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I think UEFA have regulations concerning "provocative" banners. It mightn't be provocative to you or me, but it is being done for political reasons, which UEFA don't want to get involved in, either way. I think they might also have specific rules regarding flags as well, and the manner in which they are displayed - the stadium is supposed to have at least five flagpoles for any UEFA game for example.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Sligo will be doing well to keep the tie alive. They were lucky in the last round and they’re missing several key players this evening.

I fancy Dundalk and Derry to get good results. Derry are scoring for fun right now and their opponents have a poor record in Europe. Hadjuk will be a different proposition though and I don’t think they’ll underestimate Dundalk like they did Shels. That said, the way Dundalk are playing at the moment, I can see them bagging a win. Not sure they’ll manage a clean sheet though.
    I’m available for punditry work if anyone’s interested.

Derry still have a chance to get through sounds as if they were very unlucky tonight and gave away a sloppy goal...
    Anything I’ve read suggests they were pretty poor. Don’t think they forced their keeper to make a single save, while Doherty apparently played a blinder and kept the tie alive.
    That’s precisely why they were asked to remove them – allowing fans to make political statements at football matches is asking for trouble.

Legia or Pats v KR or Celtic.

C'mon Pats. Get through on Wednesday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Big draw for St Pats win and Celtic win and they play in the 3rd Round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I don't think my head is ready for that one. All the Irish patriots will be out cheering on their British heroes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I fancy Pat's still to go through, and can see no reason for them to be afraid of Celtic.
    I fear Rosenborg will be a different proposition next week as they seemed very complacent until they were 2-0 down yesterday.
    If we had got that third goal i'd feel comfortable now!
    Dundalk have a tough hill to climb but if they pull an early goal back, you never know what might happen. Here's hopin'!
    Derry I thought had the easiest draw, but it's going to be tough now too.
    However, great week to be LoI supporter. Our clubs and supporters did us proud! Long may it continue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I don't think my head is ready for that one. All the Irish patriots will be out cheering on their British heroes.
    All the more reason for all us LoI supporters to get behind Pat's.

red sean wrote: »
    I fancy Pat's still to go through, and can see no reason for them to be afraid of Celtic.
    I fear Rosenborg will be a different proposition next week as they seemed very complacent until they were 2-0 down yesterday.
    If we had got that third goal i'd feel comfortable now!
    Dundalk have a tough hill to climb but if they pull an early goal back, you never know what might happen. Here's hopin'!
    Derry I thought had the easiest draw, but it's going to be tough now too.
    Really can't see Pats keeping a clean sheet in Tallaght. I think if they'd managed to hold out for the win and the second leg was in Richmond, I'd be a lot more optimistic.

You'd have to fancy Sligo to go through, even though, as you say, Rosenborg will come out all guns blazing next week. But, they're pretty shaky at the back - they've conceded a lot of goals this season, so I'd fancy Sligo to score more.

Can't see Dundalk doing anything in Split - they're playing for pride at this stage.

Derry obviously still in there – one goal and they’re back in it. Much better performance required obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Huge incentive for SPA. The financial windfall after they presumably move it to the Aviva will bankroll them for a while. Plus Celtic, imo, are beatable.

gimmick wrote: »
    Huge incentive for SPA. The financial windfall after they presumably move it to the Aviva will bankroll them for a while. Plus Celtic, imo, are beatable.
    The thought of 95% of the crowd at the Aviva being behind Celtic is cringeworthy - not sure the windfall would be worth it!

Surreal experience for the players too, I imagine, listening to the "home" crowd cheering for the opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

djpbarry wrote: »
    The thought of 95% of the crowd at the Aviva being behind Celtic is cringeworthy - not sure the windfall would be worth it!

It is. Absolutely. But think of the €€€

That said, are Celtic that still as well supported over here as they were 10 years ago?

They beat Cliftonville easily last season without even trying and Cliftonville are not too far off Pats

If they play, id imagine two handy wins for Celtic.

Only bad thing about it for pats fans would be Celtic are playing their qualifiers in Murrayfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Celtic are beatable but not by St.Pats over two legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

[/B]

They beat Cliftonville easily last season without even trying and Cliftonville are not too far off Pats

I went to Cliftonville v Linfield season just gone and I couldnt believe how poor the standard was, from both teams. That along with years of watching Setanta Cup games leads me to believe that Cliftonville are a long long long way off Pats standard. Irish League is the same standard as our First Division.

• Advertisement

Pats could do something against Celtic in a one-off game, but not over two legs. Especially when neither of those legs are "home".

Advertisement