Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014-15 LOI in Europe *see mod warning in op*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

[/B]

They beat Cliftonville easily last season without even trying and Cliftonville are not too far off Pats

If they play, id imagine two handy wins for Celtic.

Only bad thing about it for pats fans would be Celtic are playing their qualifiers in Murrayfield
    We've all generally been hammering northern teams in the setanta during our preseason for the last few years.

Id have imagined handy wins for Warsaw and Rosenberg this week. Football eh?

Love to see Pats stuff them. End their entire season before it begins!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

AgileMyth wrote: »
    We've all generally been hammering northern teams in the setanta during our preseason for the last few years.

Well it ain't gonna happen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Well it ain't gonna happen :)

Yeah Celtic wont get past KR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

kksaints wrote: »
    Yeah Celtic wont get past KR.

I suppose it's never too early for the whiskey with some ;)

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I suppose it's never too early for the whiskey with some ;)

Im just being realistic about Celtics chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

AgileMyth wrote: »

Oddly enough our record against the Nordy team in the Setanta cup was poor. We got knocked out by Cliftonville in 2011 and 2012 and Glentoran in 2013. We beat Ballinamallard this year but they are far below the other team standards.

Realisticly we still have a very hard task to get past Legia on Wednesday. Legia wont take us as lightly now and Im hoping they dont improve.

Fecking hell, they really know how to drag this draw out dont they.

Sligo will play Kardemir Karabükspor from Turkey should they beat Rosenborg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Karabükspor of Turkey. Can't afford that if we get through :(

Oat23 wrote: »
    Karabükspor of Turkey. Can't afford that if we get through :(

Nearly every pub in Sligo will probably be showing it.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Nearly every pub in Sligo will probably be showing it.

I have my own foreign sat setup. Drinks are free at my house :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

In the unlikely event Dundalk get through they are up against FK Atlantas (LTU)/FC Shakhter Karagandy (KAZ) in the next round.

I have my own foreign sat setup. Drinks are free at my house :)

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Its off to Oats house we go.

:P

Pighead wrote: »
    In the unlikely event Dundalk get through they are up against FK Atlantas (LTU)/FC Shakhter Karagandy (KAZ) in the next round.

Better off not going through If you're going to play in Karagandy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Can't see Pats going through though, the game actually reminds me of Bohs-Salzburg a few years back, Not going to be easy viewing for Pats Fans lots of hands over eyes and no doubt will be knocked out in the cruelest of ways.

Enjoy though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

major bill wrote: »
    Can't see Pats going through though, the game actually reminds me of Bohs-Salzburg a few years back, Not going to be easy viewing for Pats Fans lots of hands over eyes and no doubt will be knocked out in the cruelest of ways.
    They're in the same situation they were in last year against Žalgiris. Did the hard part in the away leg (2-2), but just didn't show up for the home game.

Legia are a step up again though and another draw would be a very good result, never mind a win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

They beat Cliftonville easily last season without even trying and Cliftonville are not too far off Pats

Cliftonville are a long long way off Pats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

dfx- wrote: »
    Cliftonville are a long long way off Pats.

No they are not! Cliftonville have played some good stuff over the past 2 years, ive been to watch them a few times.
    Pats have been poor this season, If Dundalk and Cork win their games in hand they are 9 pts behind 2 sides!

Still does not take the fact away, Celtic would beat Pats easily over 2 legs plus they would basically have 2 "home" games in the Aviva and Murrayfield

• Advertisement

Legia or Pats v KR or Celtic.

C'mon Pats. Get through on Wednesday!

Changed my mind now. I don't want to see Pats v Celtic at the Aviva. It would be embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Here Here Tolka Park 1998 all over again times 1'000. Imagine the howaya brigade would be out in force that night. Wouldnt rule it out either. Pats gave a great account of themselves in Poland

No they are not! Cliftonville have played some good stuff over the past 2 years, ive been to watch them a few times.
    Pats have been poor this season, If Dundalk and Cork win their games in hand they are 9 pts behind 2 sides!

Still does not take the fact away, Celtic would beat Pats easily over 2 legs plus they would basically have 2 "home" games in the Aviva and Murrayfield

you are over-estimating Celtic's ability to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The dream draw if could beat legia :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

you are over-estimating Celtic's ability to be fair

Have to agree going on this years results so far. Celtic barely beat the Icelandic Champions away while Pats drew away with Legia Warsaw who are arguably at the same level or better than Celtic.

Would really fancy Sligos chances against Kardemir Karabükspor if they got through against Rosenborg. They are at a much inferior level. A lot of Turkish clubs were banned from European competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Have to agree going on this years results so far. Celtic barely beat the Icelandic Champions away while Pats drew away with Legia Warsaw who are arguably at the same level or better than Celtic.

Would really fancy Sligos chances against Kardemir Karabükspor if they got through against Rosenborg. They are at a much inferior level. A lot of Turkish clubs were banned from European competition.

I've no doubt Pat's will be a tough tie for Celtic if both make it through to the next round but to say Celtic barely beat KR is stretching it a little, Celtic dominated the game from start to finish and aside from being a little rusty in front of goal would have won by a few clear goals.

They'll have 3 more games at least before playing Pat's so I'd imagine they'll be a lot sharper by the time those games come round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Some draw for Pats, and I don't mean it in a financial sense. Celtic are 100% beatable over the two legs.

When they played Cliftonville last year, it was pathetic. Their players and fans were in absolute awe of their Scottish heros. They never had a hope of winning it. If Pat's avoid the same pitfalls, I'd genuinely fancy them to progress against Celtic with the added bonus of being seeded for the next round.

On a sidenote, if they do move it to Lansdowne Road, it would only seem appropriate to play our respective national anthems. Our armchair republican friends sometime seem to forget that their 'Irish' replica jerseys are funding Her Majesty's Armed Forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

When the Sligo result was announced in oriel last night there was a big round of applause and cheering for Sligo - I think most of us love to see the loi do well in Europe regardless .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Madworld wrote: »
    Some draw for Pats, and I don't mean it in a financial sense. Celtic are 100% beatable over the two legs.

When they played Cliftonville last year, it was pathetic. Their players and fans were in absolute awe of their Scottish heros. They never had a hope of winning it. If Pat's avoid the same pitfalls, I'd genuinely fancy them to progress against Celtic with the added bonus of being seeded for the next round.

On a sidenote, if they do move it to Lansdowne Road, it would only seem appropriate to play our respective national anthems. Our armchair republican friends sometime seem to forget that their 'Irish' replica jerseys are funding Her Majesty's Armed Forces.
    if they did move it id make an extra effort to get to it and shout my head of for Pats my Harps jersey, anything to avoid the embarrassment of it basically being an away game.

id also agree re their chances v Celtic, the Scottish league is going backwards fast. Its a long way from the Celtic team who were reached the Europa final over 10 years ago. Id probably put Legia on an even footing with them, if you can down one, why not the other?

• Advertisement

blingrhino wrote: »
    When the Sligo result was announced in oriel last night there was a big round of applause and cheering for Sligo - I think most of us love to see the loi do well in Europe regardless .......

Same in the pub last night, most of us were looking for the other scores as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Agreed, a lot of football to be played in the second leg. Interestingly the Polish league (21) is ranked higher than the Scottish league (24). I'd like to be optimistic but the reference to Salzburg could be the case. Still, fantastic of Pat's to perform so well away from home and have the tie very much a live, and actually in their favour with the away goal.

Salzburg were lucky against Bohs. Wasn't it a Mark Rossiter error that gave Salzburg the win in the last few minutes?

Remember watching it on ORF and moaning about the Austrians sending people to cover the game but RTE wouldn't send some lads down the street.

Salzburg were lucky against Bohs. Wasn't it a Mark Rossiter error that gave Salzburg the win in the last few minutes?

Remember watching it on ORF and moaning about the Austrians sending people to cover the game but RTE wouldn't send some lads down the street.

RTE dont seem to bothered about the LOI clubs in Europe at this stage of the competition. Last week no mention on the sports home page, no mention on the soccer home page, had to go into the european soccer page before found anything on any of the home teams. This week, blink and you'll miss it link to the Sligo match in the corner of the soccer page.

overshoot wrote: »
    if they did move it id make an extra effort to get to it and shout my head of for Pats my Harps jersey, anything to avoid the embarrassment of it basically being an away game.

id also agree re their chances v Celtic, the Scottish league is going backwards fast. Its a long way from the Celtic team who were reached the Europa final over 10 years ago. Id probably put Legia on an even footing with them, if you can down one, why not the other?

The Scottish League has always been backwards, bar the two ugly sectarian sisters.

2013: Malmo 2-0 Drogheda <-> Hibs 0-9 Malmo
    2006: Derry City 7-1 Gretna
    2000: Bohemian FC 2-2 Aberdeen (Bohs on away goals)
    1998: Shelbourne 3-5 Rangers (* Shels had no home game & the Rangers team contained two eventual world cup winners)

Celtic have a new manager, who was far from impressive against that Icelandic team. Good chance of Pats catching the British team on the hop.

I was the the game in Dalymount. In fairness, we weren't unlucky.
    Fenlon had us set-up to defend the whole match, with Glen Crowe who was slower than a cargo ship, up front.

• Advertisement

What national anthem would Derry play?

What national anthem would Derry play?

As a member of the FAI Derry would play "Amhrain na bhFiann". However as Celtic are under the SFA it would more than likely be "Flower of Scotland" I think that would play of they decided to do national anthems which wont happen.

kksaints wrote: »
    As a member of the FAI Derry would play "Amhrain na bhFiann". However as Celtic are under the SFA it would more than likely be "Flower of Scotland" I think that would play of they decided to do national anthems which wont happen.

I was been sarcastic as the previous poster was being a clown!

It is still to this day the most nerve wrecking game I have ever witnessed, we defended the whole match, deserved what we got in the end but it was a cruel way to go out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

What would the chances of getting a ticket for either match be?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Legia are awful tonight. Losing 1-0 at home in the opening round of the Ekstraklasa to Belchatow. 5 mins left.

Finished 1-0 to Belchatow. Henning Berg could be in a spot of trouble if they go out to pats now. Belchatow are a newly promoted side.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I was the the game in Dalymount. In fairness, we weren't unlucky.
    Fenlon had us set-up to defend the whole match, with Glen Crowe who was slower than a cargo ship, up front.

Conceded in the 85th minute or something after being fairly solid defensively all game. I agree that Fenlon was very negative (he always has been in Europe), but I thought we were pretty unlucky to lose that game. We definitely rode them close anyway.

Legia are awful tonight. Losing 1-0 at home in the opening round of the Ekstraklasa to Belchatow. 5 mins left.

Finished 1-0 to Belchatow. Henning Berg could be in a spot of trouble if they go out to pats now. Belchatow are a newly promoted side.

8 changes from the 11 on wed, back four rested.

read earlier he intended to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    RTE dont seem to bothered about the LOI clubs in Europe at this stage of the competition.
    You can be quite sure they'll show Pats - Celtic if Pats get past Legia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

djpbarry wrote: »
    You can be quite sure they'll show Celtic if Pats get past Legia.

More accurate statement unfortunately:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Rosenborg manager sacked!
    (Please excuse google translate!)
    http://www.dagbladet.no/2014/07/21/sport/fotball/rosenborg/34436942/

The club has not been satisfied with the results or performance development, and recognizes the need for changes to get to this, type Rosenborg in the press release.

At the beginning of June, Perry's future in Rosenborg discussed at a board meeting, but at that time he managed to convince the board to continue.

- Lack of development
    - The decision is justified by the lack of good performance and development. We have an ambition to catch up with the best, and then we develop faster in the right direction, says RBK chairman Ivar Koteng Dagbladet.

- Has it been a long process that has led to this?

- Yes, we started the this in May and tried on different interventions, but they have not had the effect we wanted.

- Unpleasant message to send
    Koteng said the board made ​​the decision on Friday, but Perry was first informed of the decision this morning at a meeting where sports director Erik Hoftun was present along with Koteng and Hansen.

- How is it to give such a message?

- It is uncanny. But it was a really neat event, Perry was professional and clever, says Koteng.

New coach tomorrow
    Koteng says Rosenborg expect to have a temporary Perry replaces the space during the day. The new coach is primarily intended to be in charge until July

- In exercise in the morning we expect to have two new coaches in place.

- Can you say something about who this is?

- No, currently it is not entirely clear, said the chairman.

- Not funny
    Rosenborg players were also informed of the Board's decision this morning.

Captain Tore Reginiussen told Dagbladet that it probably is a little different reactions among the players, and that it is difficult to speak on behalf of a total playing group.

- Of course it's not funny when stuff happens. But playing group we concentrate on what we do, what we should perform on the track and how to take us further, says RBK Captain Tore Reginiussen Dagbladet.

- Proper
    Spokesman for the supporters club Kenneth Kjelsnes are satisfied with the removal of "Perry".

- This is something we have campaigned for, says Kjelsnes Dagbladet.

During yesterday's game against Sogndal took action fans with a giant banner and a silent protest for the first 15 minutes.

- That's right by the club to hire an interim coach. So they have to spend good time with the appointment of the next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

djpbarry wrote: »
    You can be quite sure they'll show Pats - Celtic if Pats get past Legia.
    It'll be typical alright. I prefer the job setanta do of the LoI.

Good luck to Pat's tomorrow night. It's a seriously difficult task despite last week's result. Warsaw will be prepared now for the fact Ireland's association football clubs can play football and can hurt them.

Can Pats really do it tomorrow?? I have serious doubts, think the thoughts of Celtic in the next round might have a negative effect on the game.

We 7/2 and they 4/6 much better than 12 to 1 last week but still think its too much for us.

Be happy if we show and play well. Will be a weird atmosphere with all the non legia poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Can Pats really do it tomorrow?? I have serious doubts, think the thoughts of Celtic in the next round might have a negative effect on the game.

I think they'll lose by one goal and go out. The pressure will be too much in the end I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement