Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014-15 LOI in Europe *see mod warning in op*

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    2-1 to Rosenborg. 3-3 on aggregate.

:(

Damn, come on Sligo, get another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Rosenborg starting to play dirty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

All over unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

3-1 Rosenborg.

3-1 Rosenborg. 4-3 aggregate. We need at least 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

:(

1v1 miss by North is unforgivable. Have to take chances like that. Gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

That's shocking, no excuses to be conceding 3 at home

How was that not a penalty.

No 15 taken off before he is sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

major bill wrote: »
    That's shocking, no excuses to be conceding 3 at home
    Is losing 1-3 at home that unusual? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

split 1 - 1 dundalk

red sean wrote: »
    Is losing 1-3 at home that unusual? :rolleyes:

Yea when you go to Norway and win 2-1......Shocking result and no point in sugar coating it just cause it is Rosenborg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

split 1 - dundalk 2 !!

Despite being 3-1 down, the European performances are amongst the best I have seen this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

1 more for Dundalk and a trip to Karagandy awaits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead wrote: »
    Sava, McMillan, Higgins and McDermott start for Dundalk. All fringe players (although in fairness to McDermott he's only just joined the club). Telling that Kenny played his first choice team against Athlone on Sunday and not tonight.
    Unreal stuff from Dundalk here. They've been by far the better team in the second half. Shame Horgan isn't on the bench to run at them for the last ten minutes. Maybe get Meenan on and get him running at them. One more goal! C'mon.

Yea when you go to Norway and win 2-1......Shocking result and no point in sugar coating it just cause it is Rosenborg.

But it is ROSENBORG. Too many people have played down our result out there saying ''ah sure they aren't the same team they used to be''. True, but they are still a huge club. Last week we deserved to win, this week they have upped it and got a boost from a new manager coming in as well. Conceding 3 is nothing to be ashamed of. They are bigger than every club in Ireland put together.

We were terrific in both games. Last week David won, Goliath showed up tonight and won like they were expected to last week.

Oat23 wrote: »
    But it is ROSENBORG. Too many people have played down our result out there saying ''ah sure they aren't the same team they used to be''. True, but they are still a huge club. Last week we deserved to win, this week they have upped it and got a boost from a new manager coming in as well. Conceding 3 is nothing to be ashamed of. They are bigger than every club in Ireland put together.

We were terrific in both games. Last week David won, Goliath showed up tonight and won like they were expected to last week.

And that is the sort of attitude why Irish football will always lag behind others. Far too much respect is often given to teams, Rosenborg are still a fairly big team but yes they are a shadow of what they once were and a golden opportunity is spurned.

Agreed. I dont think we can be disgraced at all. We put in a great performance over both legs, probably, if not better than many of our league and cup performance this season, I'm proud to be a rovers fan tonight despite being a blow in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

And that is the sort of attitude why Irish football will always lag behind others. Far too much respect is often given to teams, Rosenborg are still a fairly big team but yes they are a shadow of what they once were and a golden opportunity is spurned.

I think in the 90 minutes I'd agree with this, it really seemed like an opportunity missed. Rosenborg played better but they hardly battered Sligo, they just seemed too soft in defence for all the goals really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Their budget alone is probably a high multiple of every club in the LOI Premier and First Divisions put together. We have to be realistic. It's disappointing for Sligo but it's nothing to do with attitudes. LOI just hasn't the resources to compete in European competition group stages.

Corholio wrote: »
    I think in the 90 minutes I'd agree with this, it really seemed like an opportunity missed. Rosenborg played better but they hardly battered Sligo, they just seemed too soft in defence for all the goals really.

That's completely different to what he is saying. He thinks we showed them too much respect when it was the opposite. We attacked and played well. Did you even watch the game, major bill?

We were poor defensively, yes. But that hardly means we showed them too much respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Sadly, LOI sides are always likely to gift a goal or two to European opposition. We just don't know how to shut teams out at this level.

Oh well, back to reality I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

That's completely different to what he is saying. He thinks we showed them too much respect when it was the opposite. We attacked and played well. Did you even watch the game, major bill?

We were poor defensively, yes. But that hardly means we showed them too much respect.

It was more the last part 'a golden opportunity spurned' is what I was agreeing with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

And that is the sort of attitude why Irish football will always lag behind others.
    Dude, they lost 4-3 over 120 minutes - bit of perspective needed I think. In the case of Pats and Derry, you might have a point - shipping five goals in one game and going out with a whimper against teams from Poland and Belarus isn't good enough. But in Sligo's case, they've run a team with vastly greater resources very close and Dundalk have given Split a major fright this evening.

In order for an Irish side to beat a team from the likes of Norway, Poland or Croatia, they're going to have to play beyond themselves for 120 minutes and hope that the opposition don't show up. They're also going to require a bit of luck and take their chances when they come. Now, I'm not going to pretend I'm not disappointed that Sligo threw away a 3-1 aggregate lead and Pats a 1-0 lead, but you have to accept that these sides are capable of stepping up a couple of gears beyond what Irish sides are capable of living with. Also worth remembering that Sligo haven't exactly been setting the domestic scene alight this year.
    Far too much respect is often given to teams, Rosenborg are still a fairly big team but yes they are a shadow of what they once were and a golden opportunity is spurned.
    A golden opportunity? Dude, the prize was a trip to Kazakhstan!

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    Dude, they lost 4-3 over 120 minutes - bit of perspective needed I think. In the case of Pats and Derry, you might have a point - shipping five goals in one game and going out with a whimper against teams from Poland and Belarus isn't good enough. But in Sligo's case, they've run a team with vastly greater resources very close and Dundalk have given Split a major fright this evening.

In order for an Irish side to beat a team from the likes of Norway, Poland or Croatia, they're going to have to play beyond themselves for 120 minutes and hope that the opposition don't show up. They're also going to require a bit of luck and take their chances when they come. Now, I'm not going to pretend I'm not disappointed that Sligo threw away a 3-1 aggregate lead and Pats a 1-0 lead, but you have to accept that these sides are capable of stepping up a couple of gears beyond what Irish sides are capable of living with. Also worth remembering that Sligo haven't exactly been setting the domestic scene alight this year.
    A golden opportunity? Dude, the prize was a trip to Kazakhstan!

Right il admit I'm being too harsh, Sligo deserve credit for the way they played but it's frustrating, same defensive mistakes by teams year in year out and it is disappointing

the golden opportunity bit was the fact Sligo had a great chance to knock out a team with a very decent european record and bring some much needed PR to the league, sadly Irish fans as ignorant as they can be will look at Sligo, Pats and Derrys results tonight in a bad light out doing the good work put in, in the last round.

Right il admit I'm being too harsh, Sligo deserve credit for the way they played but it's frustrating, same defensive mistakes by teams year in year out and it is disappointing
    But that just comes down to the difference in quality - mistakes get punished at this level and you have to take your own chances when they come.
    the golden opportunity bit was the fact Sligo had a great chance to knock out a team with a very decent european record and bring some much needed PR to the league, sadly Irish fans as ignorant as they can be will look at Sligo, Pats and Derrys results tonight in a bad light out doing the good work put in, in the last round.
    Dude, trust me, nobody cares one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

So close to making history this evening. Fantastic effort and performance from Dundalk. To see Hajduk defending deep in their own half with five minutes to go and just hoofing it away was a bit mad. This team deserve a trophy this season.

If Sligo or Dundalk had gone through tonight, do you think it would be all over the national media tomorrow? Not bloody likely!
    They'd be more interested in reporting about the lovelife of some cross channel "star" rather than the exploits of the entire LoI.
    I think all of us LoI fans can be proud of our teams this year even if 1 or 2 collapsed eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Shame to see all of Ireland's association football clubs bow out. Dundalk in fairness won their game. Pity for Sligo but teams like Rosenborg and Legia Warsaw last night learn lessons from first leg. At least Q1 was enjoyable, the first legs of Q2 and Sligo and Dundalk were in there battling away tonight.

Ireland's clubs need the support of the association football loving public if they are to make certain strides forward. I'd like to see a level where at least 2 of the best clubs make the play-off stages more often than not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Sligo played most of the football tonight, but they really had to stay sharp the whole time. They were punished for some simple lapses that they might have gotten away with on another night. A good performance though, in particular from Russell and Keane. Rosenberg showed their "professionalism" by knowing how to play the ref and linesmen. Shame there won't be the same crowd on Sunday, it'll be years before Sligo have such an opportunity I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Shame to see all of Ireland's association football clubs bow out. Dundalk in fairness won their game. Pity for Sligo but teams like Rosenborg and Legia Warsaw last night learn lessons from first leg. At least Q1 was enjoyable, the first legs of Q2 and Sligo and Dundalk were in there battling away tonight.

Ireland's clubs need the support of the association football loving public if they are to make certain strides forward. I'd like to see a level where at least 2 of the best clubs make the play-off stages more often than not.

Yeah, they do. However they also need to seize opportunities like what was on the table the past two nights.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, they do. However they also need to seize opportunities like what was on the table the past two nights.
    Learning how to close out games at this level is only going to come with experience. Maybe Sligo were a bit naive in playing the open attacking game that they did, but then Pats tried a more cautious approach and were punished heavily.

Overall, I think the four clubs did ok. They beat the teams they were expected to beat but came up short against far bigger clubs. Derry were poor by all accounts against the Belorussians and as far as Pats are concerned, losing 5-0 at home just isn't good enough. But, Sligo and Dundalk have run two big clubs very close - no shame in losing if you had a right go.

Overall, played 14, won 7, drew 2, lost 5 isn't a bad return. Certainly the best European performance for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Learning how to close out games at this level is only going to come with experience. Maybe Sligo were a bit naive in playing the open attacking game that they did, but then Pats tried a more cautious approach and were punished heavily.

Overall, I think the four clubs did ok. They beat the teams they were expected to beat but came up short against far bigger clubs. Derry were poor by all accounts against the Belorussians and as far as Pats are concerned, losing 5-0 at home just isn't good enough. But, Sligo and Dundalk have run two big clubs very close - no shame in losing if you had a right go.

Overall, played 14, won 7, drew 2, lost 5 isn't a bad return. Certainly the best European performance for a few years.

Would not dispute that the overall performance was okay, and better than last year. But Pats were 2 - 0 up with 90 minutes played in Poland, and Sligo were 3 - 1 up at home with less than 90 minutes to go and 2 away goals in their pocket. Not easy at that level of course, but I'd guarantee the two squads are rueing what could or should have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Its a tricky one for LOI clubs. The quality isn't quite there in LOI to develop an effective counter attacking game when leading. Being difficult to break down yet dangerous when the opposition had the ball may have been enough to swing it for Sligo last night. You learn that by playing the mainland European teams so a breakthrough for Sligo last night might have brought their game a step forward if they had another round to focus on beating good opposition.
    With no developed counter attacking game, Sligo's attacking mindset was probably the best strategy for defending on the night.

I don't think the management knowledge is here for that type of game yet. That said the quality is improving and style is evolving. I think there is hay to be made for a team in League terms through more effective counter attacking, so if one team succeeds with it , the others should be easily persuaded. This should help us live off more than crumbs from the European table which will bring clubs on more.

Clubs like Legia Warsaw, Hadjuk Split, Rosenborg etc. have only a slight edge on the top LoI clubs nowadays, but they have that vital edge.
    Their total package is far superior to any Irish club ie. player quality, manager quality, training regime and resources, overall financial clout etc.
    While Loi clubs are surviving on 1000-3000 attendances,p1ss all sponsorship ,no TV rights and the crumbs from the captains table(FAI) then it will be very slow to change, if ever.

People are quick to point out that Rosenborg are only a shadow of their old selves, and it's true, but Sligo Rovers are also a much weaker side than 2 seasons ago. If we had the team that won the league in 2012 and with Coleman not Barraclogh managing, I believe we'd have easily taken RBK. Our LoI position proves we don't have the quality this season.

Sad for Dundalk today who really gave it their all and did us all proud in LoI circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Last night was the end of our season. It also could well be the end of the period of success we've enjoyed for the last few years too.

Never expected last week that we'd push Rosenberg so close. With Greene, Raf Joey and Henderson all out and Peers not fit yet we were hardly embarrassed in any way.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Last night was the end of our season. It also could well be the end of the period of success we've enjoyed for the last few years too.

Never expected last week that we'd push Rosenberg so close. With Greene, Raf Joey and Henderson all out and Peers not fit yet we were hardly embarrassed in any way.

Those two games is how we should have played against Molde. The defeated, keep the score down attitude against them last summer decided the tie before a ball was kicked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Actually when you look back on the season in Europe I think its been a success. Right no clubs managed to qualify for the next stage but all clubs got by round 1.

This means all clubs are seeded next year I think which should again help clubs progress out of the first round and help earn them some more money and secondly the more clubs progress from that round the better chance there is of a club progressing another round.

In the last few months I think the country has shown signs of recovery from the slump and maybe this is the first signs of it by LOI clubs internationally.

Its our best performance in years. Lets take it and progress.

But Pats were 2 - 0 up with 90 minutes played in Poland...
    1-0.
    ...and Sligo were 3 - 1 up at home with less than 90 minutes to go and 2 away goals in their pocket. Not easy at that level of course, but I'd guarantee the two squads are rueing what could or should have been.
    Don't doubt it all. I'm sure both sides will be kicking themselves that they threw away advantages and will hopefully learn from it.

But, as I said earlier, I suspect Pats were distracted by the Celtic thing - they just didn't show up at all and even if they had, I think Legia would still have been too strong.

In the case of Sligo though, there obviously wasn't much to choose between the two sides - could just have easily gone Sligo's way and in that sense, you can't really fault them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Celtic lost 4-1. Is this the end of Irish clubs in Europe [?]

In all seriousness though, I didn't see the game and by all accounts Pat's were very poor in Tallaght. They'd have been beaten by any LOI team with defending like that. Surely Pat's could have given a game to Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Polish league ranked 21. Scottish league ranked 24. It was well known Pat's Q2 opposition were tougher than Celtic. Pat's should have won 2-0 over there. Missed a great chance to go 2-0 up. As is normal and to be expected when playing a side of a higher level, Pat's unfortunately were unable to maintain the intensity and zip to their play. Last week's result was a bit unfair but that's the cruelness of the game at times. Such a shame it wasn't Pat's who had the opportunity to beat the Scottish champions. Learning curve, hopeful an Irish club's big night will come some year soon. #supportirishsoccer

As is normal and to be expected when playing a side of a higher level, Pat's unfortunately were unable to maintain the intensity and zip to their play.
    No, sorry, Pats performance in the second leg was unacceptably bad. Bucko was pretty straight-talking in his post-match interview - it wasn't good enough.

Let's not try and make excuses just because Celtic were arguably even worse last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

BOHtox wrote: »
    Celtic lost 4-1. Is this the end of Irish clubs in Europe [?]

In all seriousness though, I didn't see the game and by all accounts Pat's were very poor in Tallaght. They'd have been beaten by any LOI team with defending like that. Surely Pat's could have given a game to Celtic.

Nope as they would drop down to the Europa League :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Looking forward to see how badly 'Ireland's Number 1' get thrashed over in Poland. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Madworld wrote: »
    Looking forward to see how badly 'Ireland's Number 1' get thrashed over in Poland. :)

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Legia didnt let us play in Tallaght, even if we turned up and played well we would still have been well beaten. They knew exactly what to do and did it well, piled on the middle pushed on the full backs, bascially went 3 at the back. LOI teams have done that to us and stopped us playing. a team that spent 20 million did it a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Madworld wrote: »

Rovers didn't qualify for Europe this year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

anncoates wrote: »
    Rovers didn't qualify for Europe this year?

Rovers havnt been number one in near 3 years

• Advertisement
Advertisement