Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which electricity supplier?

Options
  • 28-05-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

A doorstep saleswoman gave me a great spiel the other evening about a 14% reduction in my bills immediately if I change to Airtricity.
    Anyone out there switch & did it save in the long run?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Do you have to pay a security deposit. I know in rented accommodation with AirTricity, even paying by DD you pay a security deposit. There is very little in the prices. What about a contract! Do you sign up for a year? Dont rush into anything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Use bonkers.ie to check and compare to your existing bill also - the 14% is off the ESB standard rates which there is no reason to be paying and you may not be paying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue - moved to Accommodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No absolutely not. You will have nothing but problems with Airtricty and their billing department.

Go to bonkers.ie have your last bill handy so who is the cheapest and go to anyone except Airtricity.

I'm a energy manager for several large companies and speak with experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

A doorstep saleswoman gave me a great spiel the other evening about a 14% reduction in my bills immediately if I change to Airtricity.
    Anyone out there switch & did it save in the long run?

I switch suppliers on a yearly basis, they always give you discounts when you switch ........... I was with Airtricity last year getting a discount, this year I'm with Electric Ireland getting a discount .......... next year Airtricity again or whoever depending on the discount they offer me.

Just remember to always submit your own meter readings whoever you're with!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The 14% discount isn't unique to Airtricity- most companies offer similar. Check out www.bonkers.ie for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I switch suppliers on a yearly basis, they always give you discounts when you switch ........... I was with Airtricity last year getting a discount, this year I'm with Electric Ireland getting a discount .......... next year Airtricity again or whoever depending on the discount they offer me.

Just remember to always submit your own meter readings whoever you're with!!

I am the same, was with airtricity for a year (had no problems and always submitted my readings), a few weeks ago I switched to electric ireland as they were the cheapest for me. I am with flogas for gas but will need to switch at the end of June and think the cheapest for me will be engergia. I always check on bonkers.ie

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I found airtricity impossible to deal with and by far the worst company in Ireland that I've ever had to deal with. This was several years ago, so I don't know if they've improved.

Basically, after moving into a new place the landlord was going to put the bill into my name, but she couldn't get through to them so asked me to do it. After about a dozen phonecalls and several emails over 2 months, they still hadn't changed the bill into my name. Thinking id be cut off I changed to bord gais who were brilliant to deal with (never bothered me and I never bothered them). I asked air tricity to send me out the useage for the last two months and they didn't, instead sending a threatening letter to the landlord. I sent a cheque in to them and they responded with the first letter addressed to me, threatening to sue for the unpaid debt (I suspect they only saw my name when they got the cheque).

To make matters worse, 2, maybe 3 sales people called to my door asking if I wanted to switch. When I explained that I just wanted to pay my bill they glibly stated ring the (unmanned) customer service line.

I know I'm a fool for putting customer service above price, but this really was an appalling way to deal with customers. You'll have no problem changing to airtricity but good luck if you have a problem or query on a bill and need customer service!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gud

sorry for jumping on this tread so late but can anyone enlighten me on the following

I have moved recently from Electric Ireland, as the rate being offered by SSEairtricity was cheaper. just got my first bill now and it includes some rural charge that was not explained to me before switching. which is something 0.49 cent a day which adds up over the month, which practically cuts the savings being made from the change. in fact you are probably worse off the less electricity you use.... has anyone else found this??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

gud wrote: »
    sorry for jumping on this tread so late but can anyone enlighten me on the following

I have moved recently from Electric Ireland, as the rate being offered by SSEairtricity was cheaper. just got my first bill now and it includes some rural charge that was not explained to me before switching. which is something 0.49 cent a day which adds up over the month, which practically cuts the savings being made from the change. in fact you are probably worse off the less electricity you use.... has anyone else found this??
    Every supplier has this charge though. It comes from ESB, but Airtricity tag on a bit more for themselves.

You need to switch every year imo, even retention deals are ****e so you do need to switch and pay by DD andget bills by email for the best deals. Just stay away from any prepaid option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 gud

I was just looking at my last electric Ireland bill and it didn't have any additional charges for rural etc. So I suppose my question should be. is the rate charged by electric Ireland include these charges, and are u really saving anything by switching to sseairtricity lower rate wen this charge actually gets added on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

gud wrote: »
    I was just looking at my last electric Ireland bill and it didn't have any additional charges for rural etc. So I suppose my question should be. is the rate charged by electric Ireland include these charges, and are u really saving anything by switching to sseairtricity lower rate wen this charge actually gets added on

How much was your standing charge with Electin Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

whats energia like to deal with? for me on the bonkers.ie site they are coming in the cheapest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 332 ✭✭mcneil

Looking to change over from esb to another company so wondering whos best to go to for best rates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

take a look at bonkers.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Never had a single issue with Aertricity and have been with them a few years now - just got a fresh range of [renewed] discounts from them, no bother extending my stay with them for a few years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I looked up bonkers and panda came in at top of list.

I am on dd with e/Ireland but still get bills posted does it make much difference going to email?

Is there any hidden extras and is it worthwile leaving elec ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bugsyb4

Hi,

My housemate is moving out end of July and I will be taking over the electricity from him just wondering can people advise what provider is the best value?

We are a middle floor apartment who never use the heating during the year and we dont have gas at all. Usually bills come in around €130-€140 every 2 months which is fairly reasonable IMO.

Any suggestions be appreciated.

Thanks

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Who is currently the cheapest provider?

• Advertisement

Post split from old thread in Consumer Issues and moved to new thread in Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

restive wrote: »
    Who is currently the cheapest provider?

http://www.bonkers.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

Hi guys,

Just moved out of home and started renting for the first time. Don't have a clue about who I should sign up with for electricity totally clueless. Living in a small cottage with my girlfriend so just the two of us. Any advice on who is the best out their at the minute and roughly what our monthly bill would be, couple of people saying 120 -> 150 euro every two months. Does that sound about right for us?

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

kevin306 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just moved out of home and started renting for the first time. Don't have a clue about who I should sign up with for electricity totally clueless. Living in a small cottage with my girlfriend so just the two of us. Any advice on who is the best out their at the minute and roughly what our monthly bill would be, couple of people saying 120 -> 150 euro every two months. Does that sound about right for us?

Is the electricity used for heating also? €120-€150 every 2 months in a small cottage sounds a bit high if you have oil/gas etc to heat the house. Myself and my girlfriend have a 2 bed apartment and electric ranges from €90-€120 for 2 months. We're with electric Ireland, but we also get gas off them (so a slight discount).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bonkers.ie list the various suppliers, their offers and indeed- how you could choose which best suits you.

My last electricity bill- in a 3 bed townhouse with a good BER- and I have gas heating- was 186 Euro. Note- the immersion heater for baths (I have two young children who love their baths) and showers- plays a big role in the size of the bill for me........

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Bonkers also have a deal with Airticity it seems but they don't have it top or anything.
    Looks a fantastic website and so handy for moving premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

My last electricity bill- in a 3 bed townhouse with a good BER- and I have gas heating- was 186 Euro. Note- the immersion heater for baths (I have two young children who love their baths) and showers- plays a big role in the size of the bill for me........

Why not use your gas to heat your hot water? It is a lot cheaper than electricity.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

How do people find them , are they cheaper than Electric Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

How do people find them , are they cheaper than Electric Ireland ?

It depends on your tariff. Personally Electric Ireland were cheaper for me.

Find out the unit charges and standing charges for each supplier and compare them with your particular usage.

• Advertisement

Posts split out from older thread and moved to Accommodation & Property forum

dudara

Advertisement