Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which electricity supplier?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Be sure to take meter readings each month and submit them to your new supplier... this will ensure you get billed on actual reads and not estimates (reads generated by the companies billing system). This will prevent 'shock' bills should they be under estimating.
    You'll need to gauge your usage over time, especailly depending on the quality of the heating system / appliances and use of same.
    Get into good habits and routines now and it'll be a lot easier.
    Best of luck!

Thanks for that advice. Its something i feel really stupid about but there is a first time for everything i guess!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Be sure to take meter readings each month and submit them to your new supplier... this will ensure you get billed on actual reads and not estimates (reads generated by the companies billing system). This will prevent 'shock' bills should they be under estimating.
    You'll need to gauge your usage over time, especailly depending on the quality of the heating system / appliances and use of same.
    Get into good habits and routines now and it'll be a lot easier.
    Best of luck!

plus ensure all you bulbs are of the newer make and of low wattage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

flutered wrote: »

Another great tip! thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Parchment wrote: »

Another great tip! thank you.
    Funny enough, if one is getting a BER on your home, can make a surprising difference to your rating...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Would bulbs not be pretty dull if they are low wattage?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Would bulbs not be pretty dull if they are low wattage?

Not LED bulbs. 5W would be about as bright as a 50W incandescent bulb. If you have spot lights (kitchen, living room), they're usually about 40W each, and you could easily have 8 in a room (320W). Switch them out for 8X4W LED GU10 bulbs (the spot light bulbs) and you'd be using about a 1/10th the power. They're not like the old energy saver bulbs either that "heat up" for a few minutes to come to full brightness, they're instantly at their full brightness.

LED bulbs are much more expensive than regular cheepo incandescent bulbs, but they should last much much longer, and Aldi/Lidi sometimes have them on offer, or IKEA have them at a decent price I think.

Note: If you have a dimmer there's special dimmable LED bulbs you'd need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Shopping around does pay off,Bord Gais have now applied one hundred euro into my account which is adequate compensation from any move to Energia.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭sat matt

SSE Airtricity are doing a €120 cash-back after you pay your first bill by direct debit. They list 10% off their unit prices too but having spoken with them and based on a few other posts here, I have a feeling their unit rates are higher than EI standard rates. I always foolishly thought rates were set by the regulator and all suppliers then tried offer a discount on these but I guess not

Anyway... €120 back doesn't sound too bad. Anyone used this deal? I think it's up on bonkers and they've been running it for a few months now

• Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Note: If you have a dimmer there's special dimmable LED bulbs you'd need.

And you may need a new dimmer.

LEDs also age - get darker as they get older, but not majorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭monday monday

I signed up to bord gais for my electricity. Direct debit, paperless and level pay. 25% off for 1st year. I received letter saying that my bill would be 88 euro per month. Thats more than ive ever paid per month.
    Has anyone any experience with level pay?
    ive another 2 days to opt out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

Sorry, another electricity question if someone knows the answer.
    I have been with Electric Ireland (formerly ESB) all my life, habit as my Dad worked for them.
    I was renting my house, and remember paying 300e some years ago as a deposit. I'm in the same house 20 years, and now I own it outright.
    I'm perfectly up to date with my bills, so I'm wondering can I get my deposit back? I'd prefer it in my pocket :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

TresGats wrote: »
    I have been with Electric Ireland (formerly ESB) all my life, habit as my Dad worked for them.
    I was renting my house, and remember paying 300e some years ago as a deposit. I'm in the same house 20 years, and now I own it outright.
    I'm perfectly up to date with my bills, so I'm wondering can I get my deposit back? I'd prefer it in my pocket :)

There's a talk to electric Ireland forum. They should be able to help

http://touch.boards.ie/forum/1349

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

TresGats wrote: »

I'm the same, so please let us know how you get on. Cheers :)

Advertisement