Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

job application

Options
  • 28-05-2014 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

hi all in a bit of a pickle here, i applied for a courier job for a company called pnn courier solutions the other day and got a response a day later asking for the following.

cv
    references
    copy of my drivers license
    pps number

they said the interviews were being held next week in the g hotel in galway and they needed my info to do backround checks etc on me.

what do ye think is it a scam to get my personal details for something else especially when they ask for my pps number i have never heard of them before
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

They might need them if you get a job , but i'd hold off on the pps and driving licence until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,547 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I find it odd that a google search brings up nothing but this thread and a score of advertisements for these so called jobs.

I doubt there is a company operating in the courier business without a web presence or anything online at all !!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dk1345

they actually sent me 2 emails today looking for my pps number saying they need it before they can process my application any further id say its dodgy its up on gumtree

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

Gumtree ads like that a notoriously dodgy .. Companies just place 5 or 6 ads up and try and get as much CV's and personal info as possible. What for I dont know .. Some scam I guess. Take caution either ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

I wouldn't hand over that information tbh....it sounds dodgy....but to be certain email them back and tell them that you'd be willing to hand over that information on proviso that they provide you with their business/company registration and VAT number which you can then cross-reference.

• Advertisement

i was thinking of sending them a made up pps number to see what they would say back to me just looked there and the add is gone now funny enough

I wouldn't do that because you don't know what you could be dragged in to....if they're a legitimate business/company....they should have no problems in providing you with their registration numbers which you can then check with the CRO/Revenue.

ill wait and see if thy keep emailing me for it and ill ask them for their office address and a contact number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nujbvi0pwref8c

I would contact the g hotel & they will be able to verify if this company is holding interviews there

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would contact the g hotel & they will be able to verify if this company is holding interviews there

Good point.

The G just doesn't seem like the right environment to be interviewing couriers.

• Advertisement

Good point.

The G just doesn't seem like the right environment to be interviewing couriers.

no offense but what would be a right environment to interview a courier

http://au.linkedin.com/pub/peco-stojceski/62/32a/254

And there's zero matches on the two companies/businesses that this person claims that he is/has been a director of.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dk1345 wrote: »
    hi all in a bit of a pickle here, i applied for a courier job for a company called pnn courier solutions the other day and got a response a day later asking for the following.

cv
    references
    copy of my drivers license
    pps number
    How did you apply for the job without your CV? The references usually only follow after they check your CV. The drivers license would be standard enough as it's a courier job, as they'd want to ensure you have a full license, and not just a learner license. The PPS number is probably a quick way to see if you can work here or not.

But you know it's dodgy when it's even gone off Gumtree! :eek:

Have to view a cache of the page to see the summary of the job, but can't view the actual job. Which is a pity, as it has an email address.

It wanted you to go on this route; http://goo.gl/maps/3gQKB

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dk1345 wrote: »
    no offense but what would be a right environment to interview a courier

The G is the 5-star place where ladies go for E25 afternoon teas, and pink cocktails. Some fancy companies put visiting senior staff up there. They have rooms that look like this:
    120x90.jpg

If I wanted to get a guy to come and work for me, then I wouldn't be interviewing him in that sort of environment!

The other hotels / flash-pubs in the neighborhood (Huntsman, Flannerys, Connacht) have better parking, and more toned-down gender-neutral environments which would be a lot more professional-seeming vs bling-y.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Seeing as this thread is fairly new thought I might pop in here rather than setting up a new one. How do people feel about handing out their pps number. I'm currently applying for a job with a legitimate company through their website but I can't complete the application without the pps number, there's a little red asterisk beside the box.

So I haven't even be asked for an interview or anything, I'll probably just get an automated response and may never hear back. Is it normal for companies to ask for the pps number straight off the bat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Can someone explain how providing a PPS number can be used to scam you?

All of those requests seem reasonable enough to me. The only dodgy bit is the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Well any piece of info that only you'd be expected to know about or that could uniquely id you could be used as part of a scam.

So PPS Number , Date of Birth , mothers maidin name all that sort of stuff.

I wouldn't be bothered about it if the company looks reputable based on other criteria , but wouldn't be sending it off it at the drop of a hat either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

I presume they're asking for PPS to demonstrate eligibility to work in Ireland. IMO this should be asked for at pre-interview screening.

I would question the company's ability to fulfil its Data Protection requirements, if it's harvesting PPS no's. etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

To be honest I wouldn't usually be sceptical about it but someone recently told that she's very careful about who she hands out pps to because it can be used to access your tax records and ****, not really sure how it works but I've been cautious ever since.

Anyway I just gave it to them because I know it's a legitimate firm. Thanks for the replies

Advertisement