Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Music

Options
  • 28-05-2014 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Im doing music for the jc. I play classical so sometimes I find it difficult to choose what type of dance it is.

anyone have any rhymes or sentences that fit into hornpipe reel jigs etc. to help choose what it is

thanks
    ElmW13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

ElmW13 wrote: »
    Im doing music for the jc. I play classical so sometimes I find it difficult to choose what type of dance it is.

anyone have any rhymes or sentences that fit into hornpipe reel jigs etc. to help choose what it is

thanks
    ElmW13
    The reel is quite fast and you can say "Paddy's gone to France and he's never coming back again" in time to it. (It sounds really stupid but it does work!) It is generally in 4/4 time.
    You can normally say "eggs and bacon and bacon and eggs" to the jig. It is generally in 6/8 time.
    I don't know anything to say to a hornpipe but the jerky rhythm normally identifies it. It is slower than a reel and is in 4/4 time.
    Hopefully this will work for you! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

The reel is quite fast and you can say "Paddy's gone to France and he's never coming back again" in time to it. (It sounds really stupid but it does work!) It is generally in 4/4 time.
    You can normally say "eggs and bacon and bacon and eggs" to the jig. It is generally in 6/8 time.
    I don't know anything to say to a hornpipe but the jerky rhythm normally identifies it. It is slower than a reel and is in 4/4 time.

Hopefully this will work for you! :-)

Thanks smiles that will really help with the irish music. Always getting confused with them..

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

ElmW13 wrote: »
    Thanks smiles that will really help with the irish music. Always getting confused with them..
    It's an absolutely awful question. So is question 5...actually the junior cert music course in general is awful! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

It's an absolutely awful question. So is question 5...actually the junior cert music course in general is awful! :L

I agree. Chosen songs and works are just ughh. At least we have a quarter of the exam done already though

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

We have for a reel "Black and decker, black and decker, black and decker"
    For a jig "rashers and sausages, rashers and sausages, rashers and sausages"
    The teacher said for us to do slow black and decker for the hornpipe but I do "Will you wash the bloomin' dishes, will you wash the bloomin' dishes" because it gets in the anachrusis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I agree also. Music is just one subject the SEC don't seem to have just right yet.

Only thing going for it is that it's a lot easier compared to other subjects, and good grades can be got with relatively little effort, in my opinion.

I find dictation Q4 a pain, got 16/40 in the mocks:rolleyes: and my teacher's advice was "Sure it might go well on the day, you never know":pac:

Looking back at the last 3 years I wish I did metalwork:cool:

Anyway, end of rant

We also use "Black and Decker" for Reels
    "Jigity Jigity Jigity Jigity" for Jigs
    "Wash up the bloomin' dishes" for hornpipes
    "Pol-ka, Pol-ka" for Polkas

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ciantighe

Reel - "Black and Decker"

Jig - "Coffee Tea"

Hornpipes - Sounds like a horse. Swear it actually does!

Hope it helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jigs go diddly diddly. Reels go diddle diddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

Reels: Black n' Decker
    Jig: Rashers and Sausages
    Slip jig: Rashers and sausages and an egg
    Hornpipe: lots of dots and lots of dots

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

pizzamad wrote: »
    Reels: Black n' Decker
    Jig: Rashers and Sausages
    Slip jig: Rashers and sausages and an egg
    Hornpipe: lots of dots and lots of dots

Could a slip jig come up? :O I wouldn't be able to identify one