Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics predictions

• 28-05-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Anyone have any ideas what could come up? Heat seems very likely this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 gol1234

omara95 wrote: »

yeah i think latent heat of steam experiment could come up in section A, i reckon only 1 mechanics exp should come this year since 2 came up last year unless they keep that trend going! And id say that mechanics will be Joules Law!
    No idea for the Section B i always do modern physics question and obviously particle and q12 is usually nice too!
    the next two is in the lap of the gods praying for a nice waves and electricity question! hate electro mag

Does anyone have any other predictions for Section A experiments??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Forecast is good anyway!

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

gol1234 wrote: »
    yeah i think latent heat of steam experiment could come up in section A, i reckon only 1 mechanics exp should come this year since 2 came up last year unless they keep that trend going! And id say that mechanics will be Joules Law!
    No idea for the Section B i always do modern physics question and obviously particle and q12 is usually nice too!
    the next two is in the lap of the gods praying for a nice waves and electricity question! hate electro mag

Does anyone have any other predictions for Section A experiments??

I think the Sound experiments may come up, either the ones to do with frequency of a stretched string, or the speed of sound in air :P

aleatorio wrote: »
    I think the Sound experiments may come up, either the ones to do with frequency of a stretched string, or the speed of sound in air :P

Hopefully! theyre nice experiments and they'll always ask the slope calculation! those questions cant really change much :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Joules law I'm convinced .
    Diffraction grating exp and possible sonometer one. It's being deleted from the course at the moment .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭omara95

I think the mechanics experiment will be freefall, joules law or resistivity of a wire for the electricity experiment, then sonometer or speed of sound in air and heat for the remaining two.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Joules law I'm convinced .
    Diffraction grating exp and possible sonometer one. It's being deleted from the course at the moment .

sorry which one is being removed? sonometer or diffraction grating! love both of those experiments!

I think the mechanics experiment will be freefall, joules law or resistivity of a wire for the electricity experiment, then sonometer or speed of sound in air and heat for the remaining two.

yeah forgot to mention freefall as well its nicely narrowed down though! do you think heat will come up in both section A and B? if it doesnt come up im section A i reckon they'll put the experiment question in Section B anyway for heat!

yeah forgot to mention freefall as well its nicely narrowed down though! do you think heat will come up in both section A and B? if it doesnt come up im section A i reckon they'll put the experiment question in Section B anyway for heat!

I cant see them putting it in both section a and b but it will be fairly similar to the experiments if it appears in section b. Make sure to know how the heat pump works to, Have a feeling it could appear somewhere in section b.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Would I be grand in leaving out completely all of last years experiments?

Panicking over experiments!!

For section B I'm studying (in this order)

Particle physics
    Modern physics
    definitions
    heat
    electromagnetic induction (my teacher said it comes up in some form every year)
    and I have no clue what to do after that!

• Advertisement

LoveLamps wrote: »
    Would I be grand in leaving out completely all of last years experiments?

Panicking over experiments!!

For section B I'm studying (in this order)

Particle physics
    Modern physics
    definitions
    heat
    electromagnetic induction (my teacher said it comes up in some form every year)
    and I have no clue what to do after that!

I am leaving out all of last years experiments to. They have never repeated the same one twice thats not to say they wont. Study waves to, question could possibly come up on the doppler effect this year or one similar to question 7 in 2005.

sorry which one is being removed? sonometer or diffraction grating! love both of those experiments!

All sonometer experiments are being deleted from course . Next year is their last year .

Also for particle physics I reckon it will be based on pair annihilation and quark composition seeing as colliders was last year.

What about nuclear physics ? Fusion or fission came up a lot recently didn't it .

What are your thoughts on q6 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Since we're on experiments, does anyone know if you're allowed to give different but equally valid methods? For example, my physics teacher used a magnet and signal generator set up when doing the fundamental frequency of a string versus length.

All sonometer experiments are being deleted from course . Next year is their last year .

Also for particle physics I reckon it will be based on pair annihilation and quark composition seeing as colliders was last year.

What about nuclear physics ? Fusion or fission came up a lot recently didn't it .

I think nuclear physics could appear in question 11 this year with a mix of everything.
    I dont plan on doing question 6 but hookes law hasnt appeared in a good while or simple harmonic motion, Then again it could be just some ball rolling down a slope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

F=ma experiment
    Speed of sound in air.
    Joules Law.
    Latent Heat of fusion or vapourisation.

Hookes Law/ SHM
    Doppler

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colour Insanity

My teacher has been screaming Joule's Law at us.

I've also heard g by freefall, diffraction grating and frequency being proportional to square root of tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Have many people studied Applied Electricity?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pat_McGroyne

ha no... Particles all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

ha no... Particles all the way.

Yeah same! just curious that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pat_McGroyne

In all honesty, particles seem pretty straightforward because there's so little in the chapter. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Not a lot of people do the Applied Electricity, look at the Chief Examiners report for instance from last years exam:
    "As in previous examinations, the proportion of those answering the Particle Physics option was significantly greater than those answering the Applied Electricity option; in 2013 almost 98% of those who answered Question 10 chose the Particle Physics option."

Particle is so easy. I know you aren't doing ae . I can't see why anyone would tbh. Particle is so straightforward . Easy 50 marks if you know the chapter .

i think they'll try base it on fusion because its actually up and coming in the real world! like our physics teacher brought us to a talk on it last year randomly! but its hard to predict! yeah pair annhilation definitely id say for particle our teacher said that!

No idea q6 is v unpredictable! banking on a doppler waves question love that! i think it will be very much waves and heat based this year!

i think they'll try base it on fusion because its actually up and coming in the real world! like our physics teacher brought us to a talk on it last year randomly! but its hard to predict! yeah pair annhilation definitely id say for particle our teacher said that!

No idea q6 is v unpredictable! banking on a doppler waves question love that! i think it will be very much waves and heat based this year!

True but I think the French fusion plant already came up before . Maybe q11 . Even thought it's the most unpredictable .

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

Can anyone tell me what exactly is the modern physics question? As in what chapters does the question cover? I have the folens Real Word Physics book. Everyone is telling me its a definite question but no one seems to be able to definitively tell me what comes up on this question. Thanks in advance :p

Joey!! wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what exactly is the modern physics question? As in what chapters does the question cover? I have the folens Real Word Physics book. Everyone is telling me its a definite question but no one seems to be able to definitively tell me what comes up on this question. Thanks in advance :p
    It's hard to describe really. Nuclear physics, the electron, x-ray, photoelectricity and circuit electronics for a start. In the book it could touch on chapters 18, 24, 25, 29, 30 and 31.

It's hard to describe really. Nuclear physics, the electron, x-ray, photoelectricity and circuit electronics for a start. In the book it could touch on chapters 18, 24, 25, 29, 30 and 31.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Modern Physics
    1. The Electron
    Thermionic emission
    Photoelectric emission
    X-rays

2. The Nucleus
    Spectra
    Types of radiation (alpha, beta, gamma)
    Activity problems (half-life, decay constant)
    Geiger-Muller tube
    Mass-energy calculations
    Fission
    Fusion

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Screwed is not the word!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

lostatsea wrote: »
    Modern Physics
    1. The Electron
    Thermionic emission
    Photoelectric emission
    X-rays

2. The Nucleus
    Spectra
    Types of radiation (alpha, beta, gamma)
    Activity problems (half-life, decay constant)
    Geiger-Muller tube
    Mass-energy calculations
    Fission
    Fusion

Thanks very much! I appreciate it! :)

Advertisement