Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics predictions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭otpmb

Since we're on experiments, does anyone know if you're allowed to give different but equally valid methods? For example, my physics teacher used a magnet and signal generator set up when doing the fundamental frequency of a string versus length.

Yeah, that is totally fine, I use an airtrack for the mechanics experiments and there is no problem, the questions tend to be vague to allow for this :), if you are really worried though, just check the marking scheme on the state examinations site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

otpmb wrote: »
    Yeah, that is totally fine, I use an airtrack for the mechanics experiments and there is no problem, the questions tend to be vague to allow for this :), if you are really worried though, just check the marking scheme on the state examinations site.

I don't think anyone in the country does the capacitance experiment with a gold leaf electroscope . ':P

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭otpmb

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I don't think anyone in the country does the capacitance experiment with a gold leaf electroscope . ':P

I'm not quite sure what experiment you are talking about, there are no capacitance ones in section A. I use a GLE and capacitor to demonstrate the factors on which a parallel plate capacitor is based on, for section B but, that's all I can think of involving capacitance, other than how to charge a capacitor (can you use a GLE for that and if so how?).

Just because very few people do it your way, once it verifies the principle or demonstrates the theory, it should be recognised by the SEC, unless you like, completely made up the experiment on the day.

Advertisement