Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2009 Toyota Avensis gearbox issue

Options
  • 28-05-2014 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

The father in laws Avensis (1.6 petrol) has developed some sort of gearbox issue.

Only yesterday, without any prior symptoms, he found it hard to get into 2nd gear.

Then this morning he couldn't get into 1st or 2nd but it drove fine in 3rd.

Having since checked, it goes into reverse, 3rd and 6th fine. But will not go into 1st, 2nd, 4th or 5th at all, with engine on and off.

Took out the centre console and there's nothing obstrucing the gear stick.

The clutch is as consistent as ever and feels fine.

It's only done 113k kilometres.

Anybody have any ideas where to start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

New gearbox time I reckon. If you've caught it in time it might just be the bearings. Despite Toyota's reputation, their gearboxes are not always the most hard wearing and bearings are a relatively common problem on many different models. Does the sound of the car change when the car is at idle and the clutch is fully depressed? Or does it whine a lot a higher speeds? They're the tell-tale signs that the bearings in the box are giving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

New gearbox time I reckon. If you've caught it in time it might just be the bearings. Despite Toyota's reputation, their gearboxes are not always the most hard wearing and bearings are a relatively common problem on many different models. Does the sound of the car change when the car is at idle and the clutch is fully depressed? Or does it whine a lot a higher speeds? They're the tell-tale signs that the bearings in the box are giving up.

I don't think there any different noise at idle or when clutch pressed.

Or it whining at higher speeds.

In fact there's no noise out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

The gear cables are probably gone in that Avensis, I have replaced plenty on the6 speeds, to confirm you should try select gear with the selector levers on the gearbox to confirm!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Noisy bearing usually wouldn't cause the symptoms the op is describing though.

Advertisement