Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 18 – May 29th, Belluno - Rifugio Panarotta **Unmasked Spoilers**

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anyone rekon Deignan is in line for a TDF spot? He has had a relatively light season after the broken collarbone. Personally, I'd prefer if he wasn't selected and hopefully they stick him in The Vuelta where he'll have a good chance at more stages and come out in good form hopefully for the worlds.
    MPFG wrote: »
    I'd say it will be the Vuelta for him

Hasn't ridden enough with SKY train & Froome & there are alot of riders in the running for the Tour

Sky seem to have their TdF line-up already sorted (according to procyclingstats.com):

FROOME Christopher
    NIEVE Mikel
    HENAO Sergio Luis
    THOMAS Geraint
    PORTE Richie
    KIRYIENKA Vasil
    SIUTSOU Kanstantsin
    KENNAUGH Peter
    WIGGINS Bradley

That is of course subject to change .... Richie Porte may get sick again, or UCI mightn't allow Henao to race.....

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

Sky seem to have their TdF line-up already sorted (according to procyclingstats.com):

FROOME Christopher
    NIEVE Mikel
    HENAO Sergio Luis
    THOMAS Geraint
    PORTE Richie
    KIRYIENKA Vasil
    SIUTSOU Kanstantsin
    KENNAUGH Peter
    WIGGINS Bradley

That is of course subject to change .... Richie Porte may get sick again, or UCI mightn't allow Henao to race.....

When you look at it on paper that is some team, nearly all of them could lead a team or are future or past team leaders. I fear we may be looking at the sky bots again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

unichall wrote: »
    When you look at it on paper that is some team, nearly all of them could lead a team or are future or past team leaders. I fear we may be looking at the sky bots again this year.

yep that's why the Giro and vuelta have been more exciting than the tour in past years. that sky team is crazy ... they will ride on the front in the mountains and the rest will drop like flys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

unichall wrote: »

Well if you look at the potential Saxo team.....

Alberto Contador
    Roman Kreuziger
    Rafal Majka
    Nicolas Roche
    Michael Rodgers
    Jesus Hernandez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

happytramp wrote: »

Alberto Contador
    Roman Kreuziger
    Rafal Majka
    Nicolas Roche
    Michael Rodgers
    Jesus Hernandez

Majka not riding the Tour

Actually its Movistar who have the Team
    Valaverde
    Quintana
    Ion Izaguirre
    Beñat Intxausti
    etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Alberto Contador
    Roman Kreuziger
    Rafal Majka
    Nicolas Roche
    Michael Rodgers
    Jesus Hernandez

ha most of them are at the giro so they will be tired!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I think he meant a potential TST team for a different event :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wtf, didnt realise nieve rode for sky at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

I would just like to say well done to Philip Deignan, great to see him performing at this level again. I think over the last few years he has really slipped into the shadows of Dan and Nico even though I think he is not far off their talent level, especially Roche. Great to see him re-emerging, makes a fellow Donegal man proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Alberto Contador
    Roman Kreuziger
    Rafal Majka
    Nicolas Roche
    Michael Rodgers
    Jesus Hernandez

They have jesus

jesus-on-bike.jpg

• Advertisement

I would just like to say well done to Philip Deignan, great to see him performing at this level again. I think over the last few years he has really slipped into the shadows of Dan and Nico even though I think he is not far off their talent level, especially Roche. Great to see him re-emerging, makes a fellow Donegal man proud.

He is definitely as talented as Roche & Martin.....I think he is the purer climber on long steep climbs .....but doesn't attack necessarily at the right time or play as smart a race as Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Majka not riding the Tour

Actually its Movistar who have the Team
    Valaverde
    Quintana
    Ion Izaguirre
    Beñat Intxausti
    etc

Don't forget Igor Anton - fantastic rider when on form!

letape wrote: »
    Don't forget Igor Anton - fantastic rider when on form!

I haven't fogotten him .......I had to go to the loo so wrote etc :D

John Gadret is there too

Anton is in the Giro ....not that you'd notice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

I haven't fogotten him .......I had to go to the loo so wrote etc :D

John Gadret is there too

Anton is in the Giro ....not that you'd notice

I'd seen the "etc" so thought you had him covered!!

lennymc

Where do you get that picture of Jesus on a bike so quickly

have you them stored up just in case

lennymc

Where do you get that picture of Jesus on a bike so quickly

have you them stored up just in case

jesus works in mysterious ways.... :)

I think the way Garmin destroyed the sky train last year in the Tour maybe showed the other teams that they are not invincible. Sky haven't seemed to dominate in the same way since (or have they?) I really hope its an attacking tour, with bodies all over the road.

lennymc wrote: »
    I think the way Garmin destroyed the sky train last year in the Tour maybe showed the other teams that they are not invincible. Sky haven't seemed to dominate in the same way since (or have they?) I really hope its an attacking tour, with bodies all over the road.

Sky train won't work on a in from Contador

Garmin did what they did cos they had lost GC battle.....

So it can happen again if any good team out of GC.....

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

I'd say it will be the Vuelta for him

Hasn't ridden enough with SKY train & Froome & there are alot of riders in the running for the Tour

They might (and should) give himself and Cotaldo protected rider status

drogdub wrote: »
    They might (and should) give himself and Cotaldo protected rider status

I think it will be between Nieve & Porte for that TBH depending on form, etc

Deignan has said himself he is happy riding for others rather than chasing top 10's

As long as he can go in breakaways then that is fine...he has a good chance of winning stages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭YeahOK

Hell of a ride from Deignan yesterday. Would much rather see him tackle the Vuelta, I think he could easily take a stage there this year. With Deignan, Roche and Martin all properly competing of late it would remind you of the good old days when we had Kelly, S Roche, L Roche, Earley & Kimmage riding in the pro peloton....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭buffalo

Watching highlights last night with the girlfriend, having avoided any spoliers at the league race/internet. She's just come in for the final few km, explaining the situation to her:

"Arredondo's in front, another Columbian behind... good bit ahead of the maglia rosa group, but there's some in between. Basso's in there somewhere, and Deignan-"
    "oh, I heard who wins today's stage".
    "SHUSH!" ...now I'm thinking Deignan might've won, or at least done well.
    "oh, sorry. Deignan doesn't win though".

ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

buffalo wrote: »
    Watching highlights last night with the girlfriend, having avoided any spoliers at the league race/internet. She's just come in for the final few km, explaining the situation to her:

"Arredondo's in front, another Columbian behind... good bit ahead of the maglia rosa group, but there's some in between. Basso's in there somewhere, and Deignan-"

ugh.

Not sure who you're more annoyed at,your girlfriend or Deignan :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Deignan crossing the line:

170245_PIC465545681.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

buffalo wrote: »

ugh.

Reminds of a story about the 89 tdf I heard on a podcast. On the final day, the man telling the story couldn't watch it live, so he recorded it. His wife was under strict instructions not to give him the result. When he got home his wife excitedly told him "I am not going to tell you who won but its a big surprise".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

drogdub wrote: »
    Reminds of a story about the 89 tdf I heard on a podcast. On the final day, the man telling the story couldn't watch it live, so he recorded it. His wife was under strict instructions not to give him the result. When he got home his wife excitedly told him "I am not going to tell you who won but its a big surprise".

He had his town halls on the favourite i take it.

Advertisement