Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heating & Plumbing - Tender Docs - Advice please

• 28-05-2014 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all

We are getting tender docs prepared for our home renovation. All plumbing & heating is going to be replaced (currently OFCH, plan to move to gas, and get rid of gun barrell pipes!).

It would be great to get advice on items not to forget to include in the tender docs so as to have them as complete as possible & avoid extras down the road (or after work done realising we wished we'd done something different.

The house will be c. 2,500 sq ft, dormer detached bungalow. We are planning to have solar panels (or at least plumbed for them if we can't afford them yet).

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

I would specify the boiler make & model.
    Zones, as many as practicable.
    Multi-layer pipework with crimped fittings.
    Look for the full spec on system sizing or have it spec'ed & issue the rad sizes & types. Towel rails can be cheap & dear, especially with built-in rad.
    Consider an Ariston Heat Pump Cylinder instead of solar.
    Specify grant assistance required.
    Enquire if they registered for Carbon Credit grants.
    System inhibitor type & quantity spec'ed.
    Have you suspended floors or solid? If suspended, consider filling, insulating & concrete screed floors. You will half your running costs over ventilated suspended floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bluesky008

Thanks Shane007, that's very useful.

We have suspended floors alright, it's on an elevated site so you can nearly stand under some of floors. They are freezing in winter with a gale blowing up through them so need that sorted!

We are also wondering about water pumps and power showers - with upcoming water charges are people going to move away from these?

I'm presuming rainwater harvesting systems would involve a very long payback period so we weren't going to consider this.

Any views on above would be really appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

IMO not worth the investment. For what it would cost for a functioning & relevant harvesting system, you would drill your own well.

With regard to your suspended floors, unless you deal properly with this area, it will become the one that will come back & haunt you. Deal with it at this stage, your comfort levels will greatly increase & enormously reduce your heating costs & installation costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Your water bill will be pennys compared to your gas if you don't have an air tightness strategy. Try posting about the issue in construction and planning some great guys, very knowledgeable in this area.

btw power showers all the way, water is not costly, electricity is.

Before renovation please check that the plumbing & heating replacement service you are hiring is professional or not. As last time I met with a very bad experience by hiring a local service. I would suggest you to go with south jersey plumbers team as they are well known and had a good experience in plumbing, sewer and drain cleaning and water heater installation. For more visit southjerseyplumbing.org/

This is a Irish site;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Before renovation please check that the plumbing & heating replacement service you are hiring is professional or not. As last time I met with a very bad experience by hiring a local service. I would suggest you to go with south jersey plumbers team as they are well known and had a good experience in plumbing, sewer and drain cleaning and water heater installation. For more visit southjerseyplumbing.org/

Gee thanks. Can you come to Ireland and clean a drain pipe for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Cheap day rates.
    The make the money on mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bluesky008

Thanks everyone for replies .....southjerseyplumping not sure you can help me all the way over there!

Bluesky008 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for replies .....southjerseyplumping not sure you can help me all the way over there!

Their at your door, $5121-00 + tax pz.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

at least all their hand tools would be 110V!

Imagine we had a similar service here........

From their website:

ON-TIME SERVICE
    If There's Any Delay, It's You We Pay. If we're not on time for your scheduled appointment, we'll pay you $5.00 for each minute late, up to $300. It's just our way of showing how much we value your business.

GUARANTEED REPAIRS
    If a plumbing repair fails in the first two years, we will come in and fix the problem again at no cost to you. It's just one less thing to have to worry about.

• Advertisement

DGOBS wrote: »
    at least all their hand tools would be 110V!

Imagine we had a similar service here........

From their website:

ON-TIME SERVICE
    If There's Any Delay, It's You We Pay. If we're not on time for your scheduled appointment, we'll pay you $5.00 for each minute late, up to $300. It's just our way of showing how much we value your business.

GUARANTEED REPAIRS
    If a plumbing repair fails in the first two years, we will come in and fix the problem again at no cost to you. It's just one less thing to have to worry about.

ON TIME SERVICE:
    When we say " Maybe next week" that's us covered !

Advertisement