Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i take a break from school before doing the lc

• 28-05-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

i'm 16 and i want to take a one year break from school before going on to 5th year.
    will i be forced to go that training thing for people who leave school early even though i plan to finish school, just a year later? has anyone done this before

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

user667 wrote: »
    i'm 16 and i want to take a one year break from school before going on to 5th year.
    will i be forced to go that training thing for people who leave school early even though i plan to finish school, just a year later? has anyone done this before

You "could" enrol, come in hardly ever, and then repeat 5th year. Plenty did that in my school but I would highly suggest that you don't do that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What would you plan to do during that year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Unless you have real plans for the year it sounds like a terrible idea to be honest; I've worked with students who've missed alot of school because of illness, family issues etc and those who have missed alot of school by choice: all have found it difficult to settle back into the routine, to adjust to new classmates etc... Think long and hard about this one before you burn any bridges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

If your hope is to take the year out and do nothing, then I wouldn't advise it. You will only make it so much harder to face back into 5th year. Is Transition Year an option? Maybe you have a legitimate reason for wanting to take a year out, but still I would think very carefully about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

If you have a tangible plan in place eg a job, it might be an idea. If you plan on staying in bed every day until 1pm and playing Xbox, it's a very bad idea. Does your school have a TY program? It can be a lot of fun if you're willing to put the effort in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement