Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love Tralee Bay

Options
  • 28-05-2014 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭

This is an opportunity for anyone to highlight all that is good about Tralee Bay. Starting with Cloghane and Brandon, The Maharees, Castlegregory, Camp, Blennerville, Tralee, Spa,Fenit, Banna Beach and Ballyheigue.

There must be lots of things happening in this wonderful tourist area over the Summer months, festivals, car rallys , tractor rallys, sporting events, horse riding facilities, swimming, sailing ....................

Please highlight events or facilities which may be of interest to locals and holidaymakers alike.

Love Tralee Bay!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

kingdumb wrote: »

Unable to read your post. Can you try again please? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

309664.jpg

No idea what happened the last time

Well done! I really like the Tralee Bay logo.

Can we encourage people to follow up your brilliant idea with a list of events taking place over the holiday period in Tralee Bay area?

Come on folks this is a great opportunity to promote local festivals etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

its such a pity that the Steam Railway wasn't started up again. I remember it when I was younger and I could see it passing a few fields down from my house! It was so popular with the tourists. Such a shame its not running anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    its such a pity that the Steam Railway wasn't started up again. I remember it when I was younger and I could see it passing a few fields down from my house! It was so popular with the tourists. Such a shame its not running anymore.

We took some special needs kids for a spin on that - about 10 years ago - and the smell was awful. The beautiful Summer Sun must have started some reaction in the mud and we had to close the windows. Plus, there was nothing to look at on the short journey: a few suitable trees and shrubs would have made all the difference.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

We took some special needs kids for a spin on that - about 10 years ago - and the smell was awful. The beautiful Summer Sun must have started some reaction in the mud and we had to close the windows. Plus, there was nothing to look at on the short journey: a few suitable trees and shrubs would have made all the difference.

its changed a lot since then, the Wetlands for a start is lovely & would fit in really well with the steam train. I lived in Ballyard all my life, and the town dump was 2 fields away from our house!!! Thankfully that is well gone now and all that area is a lot better, as well as the smell! lol I think there is a campaign on Facebook to get the steam train back up & running.

http://www.fenitharbour.com/Lighthouse.html

OK folks, I would recommend a trip into the middle of Tralee Bay by visiting the mystical and wonderful Little Samphire Lighthouse.

A short 20 minute boat ride from Fenit harbour with tour guide will take you to the Lighthouse. The views are breath taking.

Go on give it a try, you won't regret it.

See above link for further details.

Enjoy!

OK folks, I would recommend a trip into the middle of Tralee Bay by visiting the mystical and wonderful Little Samphire Lighthouse.

A short 20 minute boat ride from Fenit harbour with tour guide will take you to the Lighthouse. The views are breath taking.

Enjoy!

I've heard that's a great trip! I am not a fan of boats, but I might give it a go just to see the lighthouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

310139.jpg

Tralee Bay is a Gem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Enjoy!

Thats a great idea, I'll have to give it a try myself.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm down doing the Camp Trail run, then have 2 weeks in a chalet in Camp a week later. Going out to the lighthouse Is a lovely idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

its changed a lot since then, the Wetlands for a start is lovely & would fit in really well with the steam train. I lived in Ballyard all my life, and the town dump was 2 fields away from our house!!! Thankfully that is well gone now and all that area is a lot better, as well as the smell! lol I think there is a campaign on Facebook to get the steam train back up & running.

I wouldn't be too hopeful, the steam train was the town council's pet project. They assumed it would be like running a giant Hornby Train Set/fairground ride, they assumed wrong...there's a hell of a lot more to it than that.

If they can't make a go of it, they'll be damned if they'll let someone else have a shot....Dog in manger stuff. It'll be left to rot, surprised it's not being lifted by our scrap metal friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

maherees on a sunny evening
    1F96EBA1C332428B86BF3BEE05A9E701-0000315669-0003274824-00800L-7089470CB3FE41EEAF9F4BD4C66FC47A.jpg

Yeah...we'd have it all in Kerry if we had the weather.
    And more money wouldn't hurt.

I wouldn't be too hopeful, the steam train was the town council's pet project. They assumed it would be like running a giant Hornby Train Set/fairground ride, they assumed wrong...there's a hell of a lot more to it than that.

If they can't make a go of it, they'll be damned if they'll let someone else have a shot....Dog in manger stuff. It'll be left to rot, surprised it's not being lifted by our scrap metal friends.

I think getting a new steam train or having it restore/repaired is the biggest issue from what I've heard. Costly I would assume and yeah I doubt its on the top of the list for the council!!

I think getting a new steam train or having it restore/repaired is the biggest issue from what I've heard. Costly I would assume and yeah I doubt its on the top of the list for the council!!

Where do you even start. It's a complete and utter mess.
    Either do something right from day 1 or forget about it.

Thank you guys for the fab photos.

Sincerely,

Del.

one place I keep meaning to re-visit is the county Museum! I haven't been to it in years and I remember loving the Geraldine experience as a kid/teen! I keep saying I will bring my husband to it as he's not from Tralee and has yet to visit it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

one place I keep meaning to re-visit is the county Museum! I haven't been to it in years and I remember loving the Geraldine experience as a kid/teen! I keep saying I will bring my husband to it as he's not from Tralee and has yet to visit it!

Last time I was there was when Neil Armstrong was in town and they had the space exhibits. I've been meaning to go in there for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

There's a museum?

beertons wrote: »
    There's a museum?

yeah, in the Ashe Hall, at the top of Denny St

Yeah...I remember the smell of the place. They recreated what they thought the town would've smelled like back then.
    And the dinky little 'cars' you drive around in...

Yeah...I remember the smell of the place. They recreated what they thought the town would've smelled like back then.
    And the dinky little 'cars' you drive around in...

I think those little moving 'cars'/'seats' are gone now as far as I was told. I think you just walk around it now! The smell was interesting alright! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

wat are the opening times for d museum and do u hav to book it

Henwin wrote: »
    wat are the opening times for d museum and do u hav to book it

No booking required. Here's their opening times on their website

http://www.kerrymuseum.ie/museum_2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

You need the right people to run the train, I have a friend up in Cavan that's HUGE into trains, all types all over the world, he could have that train running in a week with the right people working with him, you need a "trainhead" to run these things, not someone who is just interested in it.

County museum is a walkabout tour allright, still good though, and the Tom Crean exhibition is wonderful, the interest in him seems to have died down again. I often think we should take him from Annascaul, a nice big statue of him and the puppies at his feet, he was some man.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

wife read somewhere that Nationwide will be filiming in Colghane/Brandon on the 25th and 26th of this month, if ye want to get on TV!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Heading to Kerry on thursday with 2 kids for 3 nights. Staying in Tralee and using it as base for getting around the kingdom. Anyone recommend anything that we must see. (Beaches, Sights, Restaurants etc). Thanks

• Advertisement

bobdcow wrote: »
    You need the right people to run the train, I have a friend up in Cavan that's HUGE into trains, all types all over the world, he could have that train running in a week with the right people working with him, you need a "trainhead" to run these things, not someone who is just interested in it.

Plus you need more than one 'trainhead', you need a team of them that work together well.

The uk (think Wales/Isle of Man/North Yorks Moors) is about the only place where railway preservation is done right, they do have the advantage of the critical mass to run them, mostly on a volunteer basis and provide bums on seats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement