Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love Tralee Bay

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Heading to Kerry on thursday with 2 kids for 3 nights. Staying in Tralee and using it as base for getting around the kingdom. Anyone recommend anything that we must see. (Beaches, Sights, Restaurants etc). Thanks

Delighted you have chosen Tralee as a base for your holidays.

Banna Beach with miles of golden sands should certainly provide children with plenty of entertainment.

Tralee Golf Club, golfing in a spectacular setting.

Fenit Lighthouse, 20 minute trip by boat to Little Samphire Lighthouse. Well wort a trip Fabulous Views.

My favourite restaurant is Spa Seafoods in Spa , en route to Fenit.
    Also the West End is a great place to bring kids for a bite to eat in the evening. Great food, very affordable, relax a nd have a pint too.

Fenit Marina and Beach , both hold blue flag awards. Try out the Cafe at the start of the pier. Great good value food, very relaxed atmosphere.

Enjoy your stay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Heading to Kerry on thursday with 2 kids for 3 nights. Staying in Tralee and using it as base for getting around the kingdom. Anyone recommend anything that we must see. (Beaches, Sights, Restaurants etc). Thanks

3 nights isn't enough! I suggest you use this trip to visit the North and West of the County.
    Firstly, I recommend you stop at Tralee Library at collect the free booklet called "Kerry Gems"; it has everything of interest in the Kingdom. It should be available in tourist offices too. The website http://www.kerrygems.com/ is good too but the book is ideal for the car and allows a better plan.

I strongly recommend visiting Glanteenassig. It is off the beaten track but is well worth it and you won't regret visiting. You head towards Castlegregory but it's a few miles before the turn off. You turn left immediately after you pass a petrol station and a closed-down diner in the middle of nowhere. http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/glanteenassig-wood/78255 (Myself and a few other warriors did the walkway around the top lake some years ago) You can drive right up to the top lake but there is another lower lake that is definitely worth stopping at.
    There used be an excellent restaurant in Blennerville but I hear it closed, so I'm not rich in ideas for eating out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭beertons

There's a Kerry Gems app too, but I prefer using the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Visitors can also buy a 3fold ticket in the museum at a discounted price.
    You get entry for all to the museum, plus entry to the working windmill in Blennerville & a family pass to the Wetlands, well worth the money imo.

Did the museum today. Well worth the fee. I skipped the section on the role the Catholic church played in Ireland, as I'm not into that. Tom Crean was explained very well.

Now all I have to do is find someone who knows about Camp Castle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

beertons wrote: »

Now all I have to do is find someone who knows about Camp Castle.

Didn't even know about this...Is it on the main road or off the beaten track?

Didn't even know about this...Is it on the main road or off the beaten track?

Lol. All I know is it's at the back of the brother in laws fields, and covered in clay. The bridge for the old railway line is there too. Took a walk down, heard about the 3 guys who died and got up on the bridge too.

Standing at the church in Camp, take a right at Ashes, and walk up about 500m. It's about 500m again in on the left. There's kind of a raised part in a field, that's it. All covered over, and used now as a perch for the sheep to look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Thomas Pink

I recently visited Tralee and was amazed at the scenery there. My visit was in early January when the weather was unseasonably bright, mild and sunny. What a stunning place. Fenit was perhaps my favourite , with wonderful walks, stunning views of the of the ocean with the beautiful Dingle Peninsula as a backdrop , and of course not forgetting the magnificent lighthouse. This all forms part of the Wild Atlantic Way.It was also birthplace of St. Brendan the Navigator. I would encourage people from home or abroad to pay this wonderful place a visit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

This thread is from 2014, please don't resurrect old ghost threads. Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement