Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato Fertilizer

• 28-05-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

I was recently given some of this but I don't have any tomatoes. I've done some research and it is supposed to be good for any fruit producing plants.

My question is:
    Would there be any harm in using it on laurel hedging or Boston Ivy? I don't want to waste it.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Timmehhh

would also like to know.

wow, boards.ie has a lot of members, but why not many help others ???? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Yea no issue whatsoever with using it on any plant afaik, although you might get tomatoes growing out of your creeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jc bamford

Some people swear by it for roses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sure, it should be good for any fruiting crop. I start off most of my veggies in the greenhouse using tomato growbag compost as I believe it gives them an extra boost. So certainly use it, definitely won't do any harm and on veggies and fruit is likely to give them some extra nourishment.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

Appreciate the responses. Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Yes you can use it on any plant from April -Aug. It is just higher in Nitrogen - essential for leaf growth - and not reserved for tomatoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yes you can use it on any plant from April -Aug. It is just higher in Nitrogen - essential for leaf growth - and not reserved for tomatoes.

So great for cabbages, lettuce, pak choi and in my experience beans and peas too!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Tomato fertiliser is lower in nitrogen and higher in potassium than regular fertilisers, as this promotes fruiting rather than leaf growth. For a hedge it is kind of a waste as you want high nitrogen for fast growth, if you have any flowers use it on those instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭greasepalm

yes correct flower maker as its ideal for roses,pot plants but not for hedges .

Advertisement