Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free security updates for Windows XP until 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,661 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Handy. Though I pray for the Luddite who is still running XP

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Well, if you want to trust that your client edition of XP has the exact same attack surface as the Embedded version and that patches for the Embedded version will always work for the client version in the same way, you could try this.

I wouldn't go near it, myself. Sounds like asking for trouble, especially if it's for a work/production system where uptime guarantees are required...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Might try this in an XP VM and see if it works at all. Sounds extremely dodgy to me though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Handy if you're desperate but how long before an update bricks your system?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Tried this on a virtual machine and it pulls in a few updates, one for Internet Explorer 8 and a couple of base OS updates. No problems so far with it. There will be fewer updates for XP Embedded than there would have been for XP because its a more bare-bones OS anyway, but the updates received may be helpful. Although theres always a risk, as an unsuitable update could brick your XP system. Wondering if its really worth the risk or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Forget about XP and either move to 7 or 8.1.

Advertisement