Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant for emigrant.

Options
  • 28-05-2014 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this or tell me where is more suitable to post this.

I'm going back to university this year to study Psychology through distance learning. I first have to do a cert to top up my degree before I do a master's. The cert I can afford but I'm going to find it impossible to get the money together (about 10,000) for the master's . I've been living abroad (but within the EU) for most of the last 10 years and was only home for two 4 months periods when I worked and paid taxes.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I'm wondering would I be entitled to any kind of grant at all if I go back as a mature student (I'm 34)?

Many thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

If the course is through distance learning, is at least a 2 year undergrad course and has recognised accreditation and then you might be eligible for tax relief on fees paid. As far as I know there is no state grant for a distance learning course.
    Revenue info here:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

paperclip2 wrote: »
    If the course is through distance learning, is at least a 2 year undergrad course and has recognised accreditation and then you might be eligible for tax relief on fees paid. As far as I know there is no state grant for a distance learning course.
    Revenue info here:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

Thanks for this. will give it a go. Main problem is applying through the Irish grant scheme when I haven't paid taxes there since 2008 for a short time. We'll see. Money is an issue unfortunately.

Advertisement