Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Operation 800 Week 12/12 - Race week

Last checks before Tullamore. In addition to the 800m, I’ve signed up for the 1500, but the focus is very much on the former. Hopefully the 1500 will just be a it of fun and not a desperate attempt to save the day.

Mon 13 Aug

40 mins recovery on the Clontarf seafront. Muggy!

Tue 14 Aug

11.8k including 2x400 @ mile pace, 2x200 @ 800m pace.

Warmed up with a sluggish run over to Irishtown feeling very tired. J Daniels final session was for 4x200, 2x1m tempo, 2x200, but the club coach suggested something much more benign and I was more than happy to comply. Despite the turgid warmup I felt great doing these reps, which clocked a little too fast again.

1:23 1:29
    0:36 0:37

So a very short workout, and I was jogging home by the time everyone else was halfway through their own sessions.

Wed 15 Aug

7.8k easy on the seafront. Spotted aquinn but took me a while to catch her. Nice evening, humid but with a short cooling shower. Bumped into a former colleague and stopped to chat. The seafront is a great place to run and always teeming with life!

WTD: 27k (17m)
    MTD: 139 (87)
    YTD: 1,989 (1,236)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck for the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best at the weekend D, hope it goes to plan for you. Run well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Best of luck... Enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck D, your training seems to have gone very well, so I'm expecting great things from these races!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck! Looking forward to the report already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Best of luck. I hope it goes well.

Congrats D. Looking forward to the report.

Super stuff D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great stuff Denis, no doubt some dry wretching involved looking at that time!! Massive well done.

Week 12 cont.

Thanks for the good wishes, appreciated as always. :)

Thu 16 Aug

4.9k recovery. Just a few miles on the seafront.

Fri 17 Aug

4.8k easy with a few strides in Fairview Park.

Sat 18 Aug

National Masters Tullamore
    800m and 1500m - report to follow...

Total with warmups/cooldowns: 11k

Sun 19 Aug

60 mins recovery on the seafront. Will take a few days off now after 72 days straight.

WTD: 57k (36m)
    MTD: 169 (106)
    YTD: 2,019 (1,255)

National Masters 2018 (800m and 1500m)

“You are going to have the race of your life” (Charlie Spedding/TAFKADG)

Backstory

And so to this year’s goal race – 800m at the National Masters Track & Field in Tullamore. It would be only my fifth attempt at the distance, which has become a bit of a project after a first stab at it at the 2017 BHAA Trinity Track meet. That day, I surprised myself with a 2:37 debut, a half-decent time for my age category and track inexperience, and on the slow surface to boot. At the time, I had done at least some appropriate training, the Trinity meet taking place not long after a few weeks of mile prep. But my 800 time was much better than the 5:54 paced mile that had resulted from that short block. This piqued my interest, suggesting that perhaps I was more suited to shorter distances. I set myself a sub-2:30 goal for 2018. If nothing else, it would freshen things up after six years of mostly marathon.

The year started promisingly with a 2:32 indoor 800 at the NIA in February. As that had come off no specific training, surely the only way was up? I’d also done an indoor mile (5:50) and a one-mile(ish) leg (5:54) at the National Road Relays, so I was slowly getting better at this short stuff. Signed up for a few of the Dublin Graded Meets, and on Dubgal’s advice embarked on a 12-week 5k programme (Pfitzinger) before shifting to more track-specific training with the 12-week programme that comprises phases III and IV of the Jack Daniels 800 plan from his Faster Road Running book. The 5k phase didn’t result in a great performance, as I struggled to a 20:09 at Bob Heffernan. But a couple more small PBs during the Gradeds (1500 and the mile) suggested that progress was being made, although not at a particularly rapid rate. This year’s Trinity resulted in the same time as last year (2:37) but in a much different type of race, where I finished third in what might be kindly described as a tactical battle involving a slow first lap. I was learning all the time, and as the goal race approached, with the training going quite well across three months of 40-mile weeks involving two quality sessions and a long(ish) run, my confidence was reasonably high that I could pull off the goal. It was very unlikely, based on studying previous results, that I’d medal in the race, but hopefully I could get off to a good start and maintain the pace. That’s all I would ask of myself. If a race resulted, so be it, but the likelihood was an isolated second lap where I’d probably have to draw completely on my own psychological resources to keep things on the rails. The final session on Tuesday, just the 2x400 and 2x200 filled me with confidence, as it had felt so easy and natural. I knew I had locked in the required pace, and it felt like I was peaking at the right time. Now it was all about getting the job done!

Buildup

I’d love to say I prepared as well as Ashling’s textbook case linked above. I did not, but I did invoke the Spedding mantra more than once in the days and weeks leading up to the event. A good night’s sleep by my (low) standards had me feeling pretty good on the drive down to Offaly. Speak of the devil, I bump into A and her fiancé at the Enfield Applegreen, and we exchange good wishes for our respective races. There was loads of time, which was just as well as I missed my exit off the M6, adding another 15 mins onto the journey. Arrived at the magnificent Tullamore Stadium, found a parking spot and checked in. Watched some of the sprints, witnessing Mulberry lowering her own national 200m age category record - very impressive. Said hello to a couple of clubmates, got changed and warmed up around the outer field beside the stadium. Things were running a bit late, but I made sure to be trackside nice and early. Changed into the Endorphins, and did a few strides on the back straight. The shoes felt even better than last time out, broken in from the previous race, and now with spikes that were are all the same length. :o:) Final check in for the M55s, and we are combined with the M60s. I’m assigned to lane 3, sharing with a Belfast Harrier. It’s showtime, and I toe the line with FBOT’s advice ringing in my ears: “Hit it hard!”

The 800

What I’ve learned over the few previous attempts is that - for me anyway - there is no time to think, and very little time to adjust if anything goes wrong. You have to be in the zone, ready to go, and quickly into your stride. Muscle memory has to kick in from the off. It’s only a couple of minutes of racing, but that second lap can be long and lonely if you blow it on the first. The gun goes off. What follows is of course a hazy blur, but I think what happened, and what was going through my mind, went something like this.

My lane-mate is likely to be a medallist, and I track him around the bend until the cut-in point on the back straight. I’m at the back of a group of five, and as we trundle down the back straight I think the pace feels a little bit slow. I start to worry about this, and there follows a messy 10 or 20 strides where I alternate between lanes 1 and 2 thinking I might have to push things. But I don’t gain (or lose) any position, and as we approach the home straight I start to feel the burn so I stop worrying. What’s happened, of course, is that the start felt slow because I am strong and ready. In reality, the pace is fine, I’m still in good shape at the back of this group - and importantly, not dying yet as we hit the bell. I glance at the trackside clock, which reads 1:15.

Things are going to plan, and I double down and dig in on the bend, registering a couple of tremendous shouts of support. You can do this, I tell myself, you can f@&king do this! As expected, the lads ahead start to pull away, their race only starting now as they push the pace. Amazingly, I find I can sort of stay in touch - although I simply don’t have the power to catch them, I can still use them to keep me focused till the end of the back straight. With 200 to go they are well away but I’m confident I can bring it home from this point. Every 200m rep I’ve done over the past few months has been carried out with this final 200 in mind. I have visualised this moment, and I will not die now! Of course I AM starting to suffer, and the finish feels impossibly far away, but I trust myself, I back myself, and somehow keep it going. The plan featured a few sessions involving 600m reps at race pace, which of course were impossibly hard. But now I understand that they’ve helped me get to exactly this point in the race and all I have to do is let the race-day adrenaline do its job and get me the rest of the way. There doesn’t seem to be any threat from behind, so I can’t rely on the competition to push me to the line. I hit the home straight and dig as deep as I can to stay in touch with the closest runner, a couple of seconds in front. The wheels stay on and I push - in my mind at least - gracefully and powerfully through the line, then fall onto the infield, totally drained.

Approx splits: 76, 72.

Previous PB: Indoor: 2:32.25 (Feb 2018, NIA). Outdoor: 2:33.29 (April 2018, Morton)
    Target: 2:29.99
    Official Time: 2:27.96
    5th posn (of 10). 4th M55 (of 5)
    VDOT 55.9
    Age grade: 83.3%
    Verdict: Race of your life!

[Edit - spotted some pics on FB that suggest my memory of this race, and my positioning within it, is inaccurate. In reality, I was in 7th position, not 5th, approaching the bell. So an even better second lap than I thought!] :D

The 1500

As I posted previously, the 1500 was entered as an afterthought, just in case I’d need a shot at redemption. I hadn’t put any mental preparation in for this, and after the successful first race I considered not running it at all. What was the point? I’d never match the performance, and the whole thing might just put a dampener on a successful day. But after my cooldown I hung around anyway, grabbing a sandwich and coffee and sitting in the stand watching the 5,000m races (congrats to BeepBeep) and the 110m hurdles. Had a chat with Mulberry and admired her two gold medals. Ashling and Ian came by (more medals) and we had a nice chat. Everyone was telling me I should do the second race. Bungy Girl would be on my case too if I wimped out, so I eventually got back out there and started warming up again in the sweltering late afternoon heat. The legs felt terrible, and I had a bit of a headache. I was definitely not in the mood (or the zone) and nearly took the spikes off again. But I just told myself that if it felt wrong I could just jog it in (no DNFs allowed in DNS Harrierland, unless gravely injured).

Eventually I lined up with five other M55s, combined with the five M50s, and we were off with a minimum of fuss.

On the first lap, I settle at the back of the group, willing a bit of life into my rubbery legs. They don’t want to cooperate, but by the end of the lap I’m starting to feel a little bit better, and even dare to pass a couple of lads going around the bend. I wouldn’t be the only one with a race in the legs, so maybe it won’t be as uncompetitive as I thought. This second lap feels kind of alright, and I’m not too far behind a clubmate who runs around the five minute mark. But predictably, lap three proves my undoing again, and I simply have nothing in the legs when the runners in front start to accelerate, and the two runners I’d passed go by on the back straight and once again I’m pretty sure I’m in last place (not that I was going to look over my shoulder to check). But there’s a guy in front in even more trouble and I pass him on the back bend then find myself able to concentrate a bit better, trying to hold him off as he does his best to stay in touch. So as the bell sounded, amazingly I’m in a race, and a glance at the clock, still under four minutes, suggests a PB might be a possibility if i can put in a half decent final lap. That seems to be all the motivation I need, and I pick it up, even though I’m now half a lap behind the leaders, who I can hear being cheered home as I go down the back straight. With 200 to go I find myself channeling the Jack Daniels session vibe again, and the muscle memory kicks in for the final push, and I imagine myself gliding around the bend and down the home straight to hold on to my 9th place. I’m exhausted, but the number on my watch suggests I might be in with a chance for a small PB, confirmed a few mins later in the official results. Saved!

Approx Splits: 1:03 (300m), 1:26, 1:29, 1:24.

Previous PB: 5:22.61 (May 2018, Tallaght)
    Target: redemption or respectability!
    Official Time: 5:21.86
    9th posn (of 10). 5th M55 (of 6)
    VDOT 50.4
    Age grade: 77.5%
    Verdict: Tough going but glad I did it.

And that was that. A fantastic day, and I cranked the Dad Rock on Radio Nova up to 11 on the way home. Fair play to Athletics Ireland and the many officials and volunteers who put together this competitive and hugely enjoyable meet.

Next

For now, it’s back to long form stuff for me, as I prepare for a ‘high 5’ NYC marathon, with the Frank Duffy and the Charleville Half lined up too. It will be interesting to see how well I can transition back to marathon training over the 10 or 11 weeks before New York. I’ve kept the base mileage up fairly well, averaging close to 40 miles per week for most of the year to date.

I’ve enjoyed the 800m focus over the past six months. Thanks to BG, DG, Mulberry and others for advice, suggestions, encouragement, shared knowledge and experience. It’s a different kind of buzz. I’ve also enjoyed being able to race a lot - 20 times this year already, with 11 PBs. The 800s continue to stand out as way better - at least in terms of VDOT and Age Grade - than everything else. Would like to have a stab at the 400 sometime, to get a better idea of exactly where the sweet spot lies. Onwards!

TLDR: Achievement Unlocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Fantastic stuff! Congrats on the PB. Great report, as always, despite the spoiler at the outset. Been really interesting following you on your journey. I look forward to the stab at the 400, which I don't doubt will happen in the not-to-distant future!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

What a great report Murph. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done! Great report too.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Those short distance races sound interesting but like a world of pain. Big congratulations, well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brilliant, well done all round. It has to be such an amazing feeling when that training block has brought those results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great racing D, well deserved shiney new PBs.

I've only recently started to understand (and appreciate) the allure of the shorter races after going to some track meets myself. As you mentioned in your report, it's a vastly different mind game to the longer stuff as you have no time for a save if anything goes wrong. You transitioned really well from the long to the short, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Isn't it great to follow a plan to the letter and then see so clearly how it pays off!

Great report and great race, well done and congratulations. You knocked nearly 5 seconds off your time in recent months: bronze was less than three seconds ahead of you...could you do the same again??? Think about that when you're high fiving your way around NYC! See you at NIA Live hopefully - you might as well have a crack at the 400 while you're at it :)

• Advertisement

I enjoyed everything about that report. Delighted for you. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on the PBs D.
    You put in the training and reaped the rewards, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great report D. An inspiring read!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

You did it! Well done :) Great reading in that report, thanks for sharing it

Thanks all! Appreciate the messages. The whole 800m thing was a blast - I'd encourage anyone to have a go at some track training and see what you've got. I thoroughly enjoyed it - it's good to shake things up every now and then.

Mon 20 - Fri 24 Aug

No running. Planned few days rest but the body has been protesting, with crampy calves and low grade back pain all week, the latter possibly due to too much sitting around and a couple of long drives. Some promising developments in the job search, possibly, which might come with good onsite gym/pool facilities and a few new running routes (not too far away though). Fingers crossed!

Sat 25 Aug

12k including St. Anne’s parkrun (23:55)

Pacer day at St. Anne’s, with me in the usual 24 mins slot. Big crowd today. Always a pleasure to help a few runners post a good time, and nice when they let you know afterwards. Got out a few hours later for another few miles around town.

Sun 26 Aug

Long run - 2 hrs 8 mins / 23k

Like yesterday, I decided to take advantage of popefest’s closed roads and get in a long run around the city on a route I would normally avoid. As it was early and the crowds were only beginning to converge, I headed up towards the Park and then out to Chapelizod along Conyngham Road, following the marathon route as far as Dolphin’s Barn before heading back home via the Grand Canal and the city centre. Loved this run, although I began to feel very tired in the 11th mile. Good to have that long-run-tired kind of feeling all the same. Longest run of the year so far.

NY marathon training starts now, building around next week’s Frank Duffy and next month’s Charleville half.

WTD:35k (22m)
    MTD: 204 (127)
    YTD: 2,054 (1,276)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Murph_D wrote: »
    NY marathon training starts now

and will you be in a new singlet in NY?

RayCun wrote: »

You're well informed, Ray. Yes, I will. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

One finger on the pulse, the rest in various pies, and my ear to the ground.

RayCun wrote: »

New club? Pray do tell us D...

• Advertisement

I'm transferring to Raheny, which is slightly more local. But the main reason is because there are more runners of my age/standard. Tired of chasing the youngsters! Won't be easy to be a scorer on Raheny's M50 teams though!

Advertisement