Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Excellent showing there D, plenty of pace in those legs from your 800m training. Great to finally meet you today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

That's a really great result. Nice running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great result D after a summer of track/shorter training. great report too. well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

That sounds like a really great performance, well done. 6 seconds off the PB is agonisingly close but to have achieved that after a totally different style of training, as opposed to training specifically for a half, is brilliant.
    Had to laugh to myself at the bit about being mesmerised by a good running style - this happens to me all the time in races too. Love watching the motion of running, weird though that may sound... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

eyrie wrote: »
    That sounds like a really great performance, well done. 6 seconds off the PB is agonisingly close but to have achieved that after a totally different style of training, as opposed to training specifically for a half, is brilliant.
    Had to laugh to myself at the bit about being mesmerised by a good running style - this happens to me all the time in races too. Love watching the motion of running, weird though that may sound... :D

Ha - I like to focus on runners with good form - I find myself trying to emulate it and it helps keep the focus and forget about any discomfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Good man D, your in great shape & shorter stuff over the summer has done the endurance no harm at all. Great confidence boost regards NYC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Those splits 4:31, 4:31, 4:31 wow! Great race off the back of very little specific training, no doubt there's is a big chunk to come off when you give it your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Top class performance D, especially so soon after your track training. No doubt there's at least 2-3 minutes to come off that next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Great work D. As for the road surface - that's not a track fairy complaint, ye're just spoilt with good roads up there in Dublin! :p All jokes aside, well done and to looks like that track work is really standing to you.

NYC Week 5 of 10

Mon 24 Sep

8.7k, mostly with Anna, in the Griffith Avenue / Albert College / Griffith Park region.

Tue 25 Sep

Rest. Posted off my deferred Donadea entry.

Wed 26 Sep

Strength: 1x2m (800), 2x1m (400)

With the weekend race in the legs, I considered binning this session altogether, but in the end decided to play it by ear and see how things felt. Headed to St. Anne’s and warmed up with Anna before launching into the first rep, which didn’t feel too bad. Decided during the recovery to cut the remaining reps to 1m.

Splits (target 7:28/m)
    7:31 7:22
    7:28
    7:23

I think I could have seen out the scheduled version without a huge amount of bother, but if I was going to do a session at all today, a shorter one seemed more sensible. Total for the morning: 12.5 kms.

WTD: 21k (13m)
    MTD: 304 (189)
    YTD: 2,370 (1,473)

• Advertisement

NYC Week 5 of 10 cont.

Thu 27 Sep

Rest.

Fri 28 Sep

20k inc 9m @ MP

One of the toughest runs I’ve ever done due to hangover queasiness from a social event the previous night that unfortunately involved a free bar. Met up with FBOT and the peer pressure got me through the run. At least the event was running related, but never again, etc. Made a bit of a show of myself. :o

Sat 29 Sep

5.6k including St Anne’s 5th anniversary parkrun, where I paced 25 mins. Fair play to legendary ED Killerz, who is stepping down after building something very special. Nice to help a few appreciative pacees to some PBs.

Sun 30 Sep

LR 25.8k @ steady

16 miles around the Phoenix Park with yaboya1, to round off another decent week. Tired towards the end, but that’s what the plan’s all about, as P reminded me. Huge numbers of runners out, including those doing the Pink Run. Excellent crisp morning for a long run.

WTD: 84k (52m)
    MTD: 366 (227)
    YTD: 2,433 (1,512)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Murph_D wrote: »
    NYC Week 5 of 10

Tue 25 Sep

Rest. Posted off my deferred Donadea entry.

Ha Ha Donadea reunion:D....me too. . . . I sent my deferred entry in few weeks back, hoping to make the start line but not sure if I'll be up to 10 laps....I will have to wait and see nearer the time!!!

Younganne wrote: »
    Ha Ha Donadea reunion:D....me too. . . . I sent my deferred entry in few weeks back, hoping to make the start line but not sure if I'll be up to 10 laps....I will have to wait and see nearer the time!!!

Probably won’t be more than a long run for me also. Sure we can do a couple of laps together.

NYC Week 6 of 10

Mon 1 Oct

10k recovery on the seafront. Very weary feeling, in that deep-into-marathon-training kind of way.

Tue 2 Oct

Strength: 2x3m (1600)

Drove to the Phoenix Park and warmed up into the wind, which was quite blowy. Didn’t bode well for the session, but I chose a somewhat ‘Strava Superhero’ route, based on the Jingle Bells course, but adding the hill to the S Bends on rep one.

7:33 7:16 7:31
    7:30 7:24 7:00

Pace a little uneven with the bumps and the wind but pretty OK all round. Tried to keep effort constant so second rep, with downhill finish, was a bit faster than the first. Total for the afternoon: 17.8 kms.

Wed 3 Oct

Rest. Logging it in advance, and looking forward to it! :p

WTD: 28k (17m)
    MTD: 28k (17)
    YTD: 2,461 (1,529)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I bet you didn't get as many kudos as the real Strava Superhero!

NYC Week 6 of 10 cont.

Thu 4 Oct

Tempo Thurs: 21k with 14.4 (9m) @ MP

Back to the Park and its rolling hills, the better to replicate the last few miles of NYC. I thought I’d find this easier than I did, struggling to keep the effort constant and to dig in where necessary. Required a strong finish but the numbers were good in the end.

Fri 5 Oct

9k at the recovery end of easy.

Sat 6 Oct

16.1k easy on the seafront. Didn’t get out til late and was somewhat unprepared for the autumn chill. Pretty cold by the end.

Sun 7 Oct

Another 16.1k easy, up to Santry and home via Ballymun and Griffith Ave. Full hat, gloves, long sleeves and buff this time. A little weary, but nothing of note to report.

WTD: 91k (56m)
    MTD: 91 (56)
    YTD: 2,523 (1,568)

NYC Week 7 of 10

Four weeks to go. A couple of things to take care of, apart from the training. I’ve let the shoe situation deteriorate and find myself breaking in a couple of new pairs, one of which, the Asics, seems to be giving me some premature marathon toe. So that pair is out of the rotation for now. Saucony or Adidas it is (as usual). The other thing is nutrition. I’ve become a bit concerned about my weight (too skinny) after seeing pictures from Charleville Half, and have decided to pay more attention to maintaining my weight over the last few weeks, maybe even gaining a pound or two. So I’ve been trying to eat more carefully, more often, and with more attention to recovery after sessions. While I don’t want to make too many drastic changes this late in the day, I also want to make sure I’m physically strong enough to get through the race at the target pace.

Mon 8 Oct

13k easy, looping out to St. Anne’s and back via the Howth Road and seafront. Feeling good.

Tue 9 Oct

Strength: 3x2m (1600)

Back the Phoenix Park, where I’ll try to do the majority of the remaining Hanson strength and tempo and long run (what they call ‘SOS’, or ‘something of substance’) sessions, as the undulating territory should help. Warmed up with Anna then headed off on the first 2-mile rep down the North Road. Pretty blustery out, but mostly a crosswind, although it was full on in a couple of spots. The second rep was more challenging, up the Military Road to the Glen, before finishing on a relatively benign White’s Road/Chesterfield section. Enjoyed the recoveries!

7:35 7:15
    7:33 7:32
    7:29 7:11

A stronger finish than necessary, but I’ve been trying to get in the habit of picking things up in the final km, for better or worse. Total for the session: 17.8 km. Enjoyed a great lunch afterwards in the Visitors Centre.

Wed 10 Oct

Rest.

WTD: 31k (19m)
    MTD: 121 (75)
    YTD: 2,554 (1,587)

NYC Week 7 of 10 cont.

Thu 11 Oct

No running. Sore back after getting on the bike a little awkwardly yesterday to commute into town. 10@MP postponed till tomorrow if feeling up to it.

Fri 12 Oct

Another rest day. Back feeling better but taking no chances.

Sat 13 Oct

12.5k easy/steady including St. Anne’s parkrun.

Joined M and C for a few easy miles before a nice steady parkrun (c. 25 mins). Narrowly missed out on the coveted 98th finisher slot. Delighted to get through this unscathed.

Sun 14 Oct

26.8k inc. 25.8 @ 5:05 (16m @ 8:11)

Today’s run was the last of the Hanson steady 16-milers, the longest runs on the plan. We are in Donegal, so headed down the St. John’s Point route, very scenic with plenty of hills. As I was a little fresher than normal having missed the Thurs tempo, I allowed myself be a little bit more aggressive with this, although I was careful not to blow a gasket on the uphill sections, always happy to step off a little when necessary. Really enjoyed this - mostly the fact that I was doing it at all. Hopefully no more injury scares before the big day.

WTD: 70k (44m)
    MTD: 161 (100)
    YTD: 2,593 (1,612)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Nice run today D. Since you didn't mention it, assume the back is ok after today's run. Mind how you go.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Nice run today D. Since you didn't mention it, assume the back is ok after today's run. Mind how you go.

Yes, all good. Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

NYC Week 8 of 10

Three weeks to go. After last week’s scare, the lower back seems to have recovered. Must be careful though - it’s the third flare-up in the past couple of months. More preventive work might be advisable: nothing too drastic, but will try to make a habit of doing the McKenzie exercises for lower back pain. Project Hansel is working too: weighing in about 4lbs heavier than last week. :) The opposite of many people’s pre-marathon trajectory, maybe, but it puts me at a healthier weight and that helps me feel a little stronger.

Mon 15 Oct

10k easy/recovery on the seafront. Left the watch at home. Somewhat overdressed, which added to the sluggish, tired feeling.

Tue 16 Oct

10k on the seafront. As I’m postponing Tempo Thursday till Friday, I decided to push the strength session a day too. So another easy jog out the seafront. Legs still weary to the extent that this run felt quite difficult despite the leisurely pace, although again it was a muggy afternoon. Quick chat with DD as our paths crossed.

Wed 17 Oct

Strength: 4 x 1.5m (800)

These sessions have been going well the past few weeks, and today was another good one. Got out after the school run and warmed up on the seafront again. First rep took me into St. Anne’s, where I continued around the northern half of the park for the next two reps, taking in a lap of the parkrun course(s) before finishing out back along the coast to Fairview.

Splits (target 11:10/rep)
    11:11 11:04 11:06 11:02

All good, feeling strong. Jogged home for a hearty breakfast. 18.7k for the morning.

WTD: 39k (24m)
    MTD: 199 (124)
    YTD: 2,632 (1,626)

NYC Week 8 of 10 cont.

Thu 18 Oct

Rest.

Fri 19 Oct

Tempo Fri: 10 mi @ MP

Up to the Phoenix Park again for this, in the company of FBOT. We warmed up together then started our respective 10-milers, parting company heading down the North Road. Again, I planned this route around a clockwise circuit of the Park, as it feels (to me, anyway) hillier and more difficult in that direction. As usual, I tried to ease off on the uphills, making up the time on the more forgiving stretches. This went to plan, and I finished out as usual with a faster final km on the Acres Road, where I happened to bump into M just before my cooldown mile, such are the homing pigeon instincts of DNS runners. ;) This certainly felt quite challenging throughout, but nothing to suggest the pace is not sustainable on race day.

Sat 20 Oct

16.1k easy out and back to St. Anne’s, feeling quite good despite yesterday’s adventures.

Sun 21 Oct

Another easy out and back 16.1k on the Royal Canal out past Ashtown. A bit of a plod on the way out but then had the pleasure of a tailwind on the downhill return. My feet and ankles had been feeling a bit creaky before this but no issues during the run, everything loosening out nicely. A good week at 92k (57m), the second highest mileage of the year.

Two weeks to go!

WTD: 92k (57m)
    MTD: 253 (157)
    YTD: 2,865 (1,669)

NYC Week 9 of 10

Two weeks to go. This week sees the end of the strength and MP sessions and finally, a short taper. Feeling good, let’s hold it together just a bit longer. ;)

Mon 22 Oct

13k easy out to St. Anne’s. This felt less awful than previous Mondays, which is reassuring.

Tue 23 Oct

Strength: 6 x 1 mile (400)

Nostalgic trip over to an empty Irishtown after breakfast. Warmed up on the track in the ‘wrong’ direction, as usual. It was a bit blowy but the home straight was fairly well protected, although I’d be finishing reps on alternate straights as I decided to stick to lane 8 (just over 3.5 laps) even though, unusually, the barriers across the inside lanes were open. The mile reps felt manageable from the start, and I could definitely feel the progress over the past 10 weeks. Mind you, the 400m recoveries got progressively slower.

Splits (target 7:28)
    7:27 7:29 7:27
    7:27 7:17 7:09

Last two were ignoring watch, Rep 5 trying to feel the pace and 6 trying to visualize the race finish. Oops. Total 16.8k total after cooldown.

Wed 24 Oct

Rest.

WTD: 30k (19m)
    MTD: 283 (176)
    YTD: 2,895 (1,688)

NYC Week 9 of 10 cont.

Thu 25 Oct

13mi with 10 @ MP

Back in Donegal for a few days, so I based this final MP run around the hilly Point 10k route, adding in a couple of spurs to make up the distance. It was a fairly chilly afternoon with some wind, so a challenging outing. Felt tired from the start but it was comforting to feel myself slotting into the correct groove, even if it was a bit of a grind. So in the end, having negotiated the rolling hills of St. John’s Point, and then some more on the way back to the house, a decent achievement to maintain the pace.

Target: 10 @ 7:38
    Actual: 10 @ 7:37

Total for the afternoon: 21.1k

Fri 26 Oct

10.5k easy around the local roads with A.

Sat 27 Oct

13k easy. Hilly route to the caravan park and back. Took it very handy, a little tired.

Sun 28 Oct

13.4k easy around the local loop, in good time to get back and track everyone’s Dublin Marathon. Well done all! First time not running since I started in 2012, but great to see so many excellent performances.

WTD: 88k (55m)
    MTD: 341 (212)
    YTD: 2,773 (1,723)

NYC Week 10 of 10

Race week! After the long weekend and everyone’s Dublin Marathon exploits, I’m looking forward to getting a shot at the 26.2 myself. Remains to be seen how succesful the 10-week 800-to-marathon plan will turn out to be.

Mon 29 Oct

10k easy on the local Donegal loop. Do I have that ‘taper’ feeling? Not really.

Tue 30 Oct

8.6k easy in Tolka Valley with M. Some planning and general chit chat about the upcoming trip. Do I miss not having a session to do? Not really. ;)

Wed 31 Oct

Rest. Logged in advance. Will use the time to start packing. And ironing the new singlet. Will I practice drinking out of paper cups? Possibly. :)

WTD: 19k (12m)
    MTD: 360 (224)
    YTD: 2,792 (1,735)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

When do you fly out???

When do you fly out???

Travel Friday, expo Saturday, race Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

What time are you flying out D. I'm in work in the airport on Friday from 4am to 1pm. I'll keep an eye open for you.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    What time are you flying out D. I'm in work in the airport on Friday from 4am to 1pm. I'll keep an eye open for you.

Cheers, S. We are on the 1pm to Newark, so we’ll be hanging around from 11ish, maybe earlier. Feel free to get us into the Executive Lounge if you have any pull. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Are you staying on for any sightseeing after the race?

Selfishly I'm delighted to have another marathon and marathon runner to follow next weekend after coming down from the excitement of Sunday, so thanks for putting in the hard work for us :D

Advertisement