Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

denis b wrote: »
    Fair play D. As honest as ever. You have a great attitude to racing - planned races and spontaneous races. Distance - anything from 100m to 50kms. You take it all in your stride. You are a brand ambassador for the bigger picture in athletics. Keep it up.

Haven’t tried a 100m yet. Never say never though!

pac_man wrote: »
    I wouldn't really care what other runners times were, as long as you gave your best on the day, what more can you do? I'm coming back from injury so relatively speaking, I thought I ran well.

Cheers. Didn’t give my best, I’m pretty sure of that! I’m trying to race by feel after years of watch watching and getting it wrong as often as I get it right. Got it right at Raheny 5, I think, but definitely not yesterday. Not to say it wasn’t decent enough - but it could have been better. You always know at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

tough conditions D and running by feel is definitely a learning experience, i couldn't do it in a race! however I might have to go that way going forward as i've lost so much fitness that i will just have to go by feel and forget the clock.

What next on the agenda for you? when are you kicking into 800 training?

Younganne wrote: »
    tough conditions D and running by feel is definitely a learning experience, i couldn't do it in a race! however I might have to go that way going forward as i've lost so much fitness that i will just have to go by feel and forget the clock.

What next on the agenda for you? when are you kicking into 800 training?

Cheers, A. I think it's easier with more packed race fields, as you can move from group to group relatively easily. I had a nagging feeling the other day I was not with the right group (although the two Clonliffe lads beat me easily in the end) and had there been some others just in front I might have made the leap and been dragged around a bit quicker. Hard to know for sure. It's not easy at the Raheny winter league either, as you can end up running a good bit of that, if not the whole thing, by yourself. But it's all grist to the mill.

It's funny you should ask about the 800 - it actually starts this week. Like last year, I'm going to try a 12 week 5k block followed by 12 weeks of Jack Daniels 800 stuff. For the 5k I'll do Pfitziger Faster Road Running again, probably, or possibly the JD version. Better decide soon! But I won't be religious about the first 12 weeks anyway, mixing in club sessions and LRs and a few other races when I can. I think!

Time to start the focus. Thanks for the reminder!

This week is 24 weeks from the National Masters. If I repeated last year, the 2x12 cycle would start here, but I’m not ready mentally so I’ll be following a 23 week schedule of sorts, starting next week. Hopefully!

Mon 4 Mar

70 mins recovery @ 5:59/k

Dropped one of the boys to GAA and headed out the coast for a leisurely recovery run. Waved at a bunch of clubmates out for something looking a little more strenuous. Although one of them had been dropped and was on his own, which is not good.

Tue 5 Mar

Club session: Hills 10x180 (?) w/ jog down recovery

Over to Howth for the monthly Tuesday hill session with Mick C. Terrible traffic at rush hour and I was late picking up FBOT but we got there in time for a warmup loop near the Summit Inn with the coach and another clubmate (who I think turned out to be MisterDrak?) Most of us lined up about 180m below the Summit car park, with some of the more ambitious souls opting for the ~250m version from the very bottom of the hill. The instructions were to get a feel for it on the first rep and then hit the rest of them at a challenging but sustainable pace. It was pissing rain and we were dodging cars for the whole session. But it felt great, probably because I was taking it a bit easy, being reasonably conservative after the Sunday race. Just followed the crowd, mostly. Don’t do enough hill stuff so it was good to get this in - hopefully more of this will do as advertised and help with strength and form.

49 46 46 46 45 45 46 44 44 40

The last one was a bit of a ‘hero rep’ in retrospect, not something I do often, but I felt it was my turn to lead out. :p It might have been my imagination, but in my mind the hill seemed to appear a bit flatter as the session wore on. Excellent session in super company, finished off with another 2k cooldown loop. Total 9k for the evening.

Wed 6 Mar

No running. Too much competing stuff.

Thu 7 Mar

45 mins easy @ 5:51

Chatty commute with G. As before, didn’t enjoy the crowded bit but more pleasant one we got over the canal bridge to D3. :)

WTD: 29k (18m)
    MTD: 53 (33)
    YTD: 499 (310)

• Advertisement

Fri 8 Mar

8.6k @ 5:40

Another easy commute, long way around via Irishtown.

Sat 9 Mar

6.4k inc. Poolbeg parkrun @ T (22:07)

Joined A for a Sanctuary Runner outing, picking up a group of participants in town and heading out to a windy Poolbeg. None of the group needed any handholding so I pushed on after the opening km into a nice tempo pace, enjoying the wind at our backs heading out towards the hill, then the more challenging bit against the wind. Downwind finish though, which helped, and I enjoyed a ‘racy’ finish with a couple of lads who’d passed earlier. Coffee in Sandymount village to round off an excellent morning.

Sun 10 Mar

10 miles easy

Headed over to the club for the 8am run. Was a bit late and parked short of the clubhouse and joined the back of the group as it passed, eventually settling in for 10 chatty miles with some of the ‘ladies’. Breezy enough morning, but enjoyed the standard loop down to East Wall Road and back out the coast. Pushed on after seven miles for a progressive finish, including a loop of the Road Race circuit near where I’d parked. Or where I’d thought I parked. Found the car eventually. ;)

WTD: 60k (37m)
    MTD: 84 (52)
    YTD: 530 (330)

I’ve changed my mind about the 5k plan - still going to do one, but a 9-week version from the 80/20 guy. Good news is I don’t have to start for another two weeks.

Mon 11 Mar

35 mins @ 5:55/k

Recovery paced jaunt through the inner city as I wanted to avoid the windy seafront. Chose bad route with wind tunnel in my face along the North Strand. Uphill then on the Gardiner St. leg. Not my best route ever!

Tue 12 Mar

Club session: 10x400 w/100m jog recovery (and a bit more waiting for group to reassemble)

Long warmup all the way out to wooden bridge from town. Strong tailwind, but I didn’t realise quite how strong until turning at the bridge back to the assembly point for the ‘Mick session’ at the tree. I was glad when 400s were called, as I haven’t done any in some time, and they are good prep for the upcoming mile races in the Winter League. As before, I found myself around the faster end of the second group.

1:30 1:26 1:30 1:35
    1:32 1:26 1:31 1:32
    1:31 1:23

The wind made these quite unusual. With 100m recoveries, the wind was in a different place for each rep, hence quite a variation in the paces, but effort felt good throughout, even enough to be able to hit the last ones as hard as the first. Excellent session - only downside was the too-long cooldown back to Fairview, which was fine at first in FBOT's company but less fun when he peeled off home. Have found myself light-headed towards the end of every one of these post-session death march jogs so next time I’ll hop on the bus. Total for the evening: 15k.

Wed 13 Mar

2k @ recovery

Dropped the boys to school, then ran the rest of the way to the office, a grand total of 12 mins. Sauna, steam, no swim.

WTD: 23k (14m)
    MTD: 107 (66)
    YTD: 553 (347)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Murph_D wrote:
    I’ve changed my mind about the 5k plan - still going to do one, but a 9-week version from the 80/20 guy. Good news is I don’t have to start for another two weeks.

9 weeks is plenty for a 5k block

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

What's the target race D? Bob Heffernan?

9 weeks is plenty for a 5k block

Good to hear! Last year's 12-week one didn't work anyway. :o
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    What's the target race D? Bob Heffernan?

That's the one. Third time lucky, hopefully. You doing it?

• Advertisement

I'd love to. I'm just waiting for my summer roster in work to plan what I will run.

My main memory of last year’s is of you cruising past at halfway looking extremely comfortable. Didn’t even offer to chat. :pac:

Murph_D wrote: »
    My main memory of last year’s is of you cruising past at halfway looking extremely comfortable. Didn’t even offer to chat. :pac:

Maybe that's why I got my PB....and why my chats in Bohermeen didn't have as successful an outcome :pac:

Well, I obviously agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Wed 13 Mar

2k @ recovery

Dropped the boys to school, then ran the rest of the way to the office, a grand total of 12 mins. Sauna, steam, no swim.

Sounds like a great office you're working in D :D

Very lucky to have a gym and pool on the premises! Don’t get to use as much as I would like though.

Thu 14 Mar

Rest.

Fri 15 Mar

7.2k @ 5:51

Lunchtime run over to Stephen’s Green for a few laps. Hadn’t reckoned on the climate action demonstration and spent a lot of the time dodging gangs of schoolkids. Fair play to them.

Sat 16 Mar

In Donegal for the weekend. A had a session to do - 3 x 8 mins @ tempo - so headed out to give her some company and help with the pace. Our local loop is quite up and down, and there was a good headwind in parts. She did well. I enjoyed it too.

Sun 17 Mar

16.16k @ 5:55

The normal 10 miler around here would have been all into the wind for the first half, so just used the closer, more protected local loop, extending it here and there to stretch it to 10 miles. Windy and bracing. Couple of showers, although nothing like the cloudburst later on at the Killybegs parade. Recovery pace was good enough for this - tired today. Not many miles this week but ticking over. Enjoyed watching youtube footage of the start of the Balbriggan Half / 10k. :rolleyes:

WTD: 55k (34m)
    MTD: 139 (86)
    YTD: 585 (363)

Was wrong in my calculations last week - I should actually be starting my 5k cycle. However I will be trying to build that around Winter League stuff and the start of the Graded Meets also. So it won't be pretty, probably!

Mon 18 Mar

50 mins @ 5:52/k

Another jog around the local loop - reversed direction to live dangerously. Unexpectedly creaky after yesterday’s 10 miles, but it’s been a while since I’ve run that kind of terrain, even at an easy pace.

Tue 19 Mar

8.1k @ 6:10

Avoided the club session as I will be racing tomorrow night. Slow jog home from work. Haven’t really got used to running with backpack - find it very constraining and annoying. Compounded by sore quads from the weekend’s hills.

Wed 20 Mar

Winter League Round 8: 2 miles - 17th place in 12:53

Fancied my chances of a good placing and maybe a PB tonight - didn’t quite deliver, although in the end I was quite happy with the performance, on an unusually balmy evening. A couple of laps of the circuit to warm up, in the company of G and one of the club's many interesting older members. Quite a relaxed few mins then before the off, chatting with a few people.

Lined up and was taken a bit by surprise by the sudden start - fewer announcements than usual! I'd lined up a little closer to the front, and as a result it seemed like a quite pacy first couple of 100m. No harm in that, and I was up with the usual suspects sooner than usual. S had steamed by, working on his traditional slow start. ;) I tucked in behind for a while, then did a bit of the work through the second half of the first lap, as we overtook C in the process. C usually finishes fairly close behind me, so I felt I was in the right place by now, and tried to focus on being relaxed, keeping the pace nice and steady and comfortable through to the end of the lap (and hopefully beyond).

Approaching the split (6:25) I began to overheat somewhat, emitting a few dry heaves, and had to step off the pedal a little. S seemed to take advantage, moving strongly away at the top of lap 2 (don't blame him, I always try to put distance between me and any unpleasant noises too). :) I began to feel better and settled in where I was, listening to the footsteps behind, hoping C hadn’t noticed the distress. Tried to up the pace when the watch beeped 2k, then a little more again at the penultimate turn with 800 to go, making sure to consolidate my position and not give C any encouragement. It is a league after all, and it’s all about placings! (Not that you’d necessarily know, as no league table has yet been published.)

I was gaining on the runner in front, and pushed again at the final turn, not quite catching him. It’s a pity I didn’t start reeling him in earlier, as in the end the time was only one second slower than my 12:52 PB from Round 4. Quite spent after, so no complaints. 17th place is about right - don’t think I managed any scalps though. Cooled down with another lap with S and C, before the usual tea and cake in the clubhouse.

Splits: 6:25 6:28

WTD: 28k (17m)
    MTD: 167 (104)
    YTD: 613 (381)

Thu 21 Mar

Rest.

Fri 22 Mar

40 mins easy

Late afternoon 7k, mostly on the Grand Canal. Saw lots of swans. And people living in tents.

Sat 23 Mar

9k including St. Anne’s parkrun (35th finisher in 20:18)

Pacer Saturday. Declined the bib as I felt like giving it the race treatment today. There was no 20-min pacer. A pity, as I’d forgotten the watch and could have done with the visual feedback, especially as there was no split called at halfway, unusually. Had started quite well, trying to pick some likely targets. One junior clubmate was just ahead, a good runner but a bit mercurial. He seemed to be going well so I kept an eye on him for mile 1 until it felt like he was slowing and I decided to go past. By now was in a good groove with another young runner, step for step through the end of first lap at which point he pushed on, prompted by another guy who’d joined us briefly before passing.

But so far so good - it felt fast, and I was in control. Feeling reasonably OK through the drag at start of second lap, just trying to focus on not being left behind. Then some sudden dry heaves as the central governor kicked in. The fourth km feels a bit grim as a result. On the back straight clubmate D draws alongside - another good target so I know I’m probably not far off 20-minute pace. He eases in front as I continue to struggle until the top of the Avenue with about 900m to go. At this point I just try to focus on staying in touch with the runners in front, including one aul lad who’d came past strongly during my difficulties. I’m hanging on - no ambition to reel them in, more a desire to get towed towards the line. But with 150 to go, I muster up a decent enough finish, closing some of the gap to D, finishing about 5 secs and a couple of places behind.

Decent enough result, and going in the right direction. A good first half, losing maybe three places in lap two, which under the circumstances wasn’t bad damage control. Fourth fastest 5k to date.

Sun 24 Mar

19.3km @ 5:54

Recovery paced jog. East Wall to East Link, diverting down to the Samuel Beckett as the toll bridge seemed to be stuck in the up position! Some irate motorists as a result. Headed out through Irishtown Nature Reserve to the South Wall, turning at the Shellybanks as I didn’t fancy the uneven surface out to the Poolbeg lighthouse. Gorgeous morning, but plenty of wind, making an otherwise trouble-free recovery jog a little uncomfortable in places. And that wraps up another 'racey' week.

WTD: 64k (40m)
    MTD: 203 (126)
    YTD: 649 (403)

80/20 5k (level 3): week 2 of 9

This week: I’ve finally taken delivery of the Matt Fitzgerald 80/20 book, so I’ll be jumping into the (Level 3) 5k plan at Week 2, Day 2. A quick scan suggests it’s not a million miles away from the Pfitzinger and Hanson and Daniels methods I’ve been using to date, most of which are based on similar philosophies around intensity and recovery (maybe less so the Daniels). But it will be refreshing to explore the various different workouts.

Mon 25 Mar

48 mins @ 6:09/k

GAA drop, then out the seafront, hooking up with C for a leisurely recovery jog.

Tue 26 Mar

Speedplay session: 9 x 1 min @ VO2 (2 mins a/r)

The book had arrived but hadn’t had a chance to look at it properly. Found a version of the session online that turned out to be wrong. Never trust the internet! The session was supposed to be 7x2mins but instead I did 9x1mins (which is apparently the triathlon version of the same workout) :P

Headed to Fairview Park and did this around one of the GAA pitches there. First time ever doing this kind of session in the local park and have to say it was grand. Good to do it on grass as I will be swapping some of these out for the club sessions, also on grass. The idea was 9 repeats of 1 min at ‘Zone 4’ pace - corresponding more or less to VO2 or 3-5k pace. Target was 3:34-4:01.

Splits (approx pace):
    3:42 3:53 3:46
    3:50 3:48 3:40
    3:35 3:39 3:38

Of course Garmin pace is only a very rough guide for this kind of workout, so it was probably far more consistent than the numbers suggest! Felt good anyway.

Wed 27 Mar

50 mins easy

The plan calls for a ‘Foundation Run’ today. Presume this is a construction analogy - the kind of ‘invisible’ mileage on which the flashier speed and tempo sessions and racing itself is built. 5 mins very easy, 35 easy, 5 very easy. Extended the last bit to 10 as I was still out there on the Grand Canal. That was because I’d detoured up to Harold’s Cross around the halfway point, exploring the very well kept little triangular park.

I’ve no idea who Harold is (denisb might know). When we were kids - pre-teenage - some of my friends and I used take the bus out to here because it was a straight shot out from Drumcondra on the 16. It seemed kind of exotic for some reason. You probably wouldn’t let your 12 year old do this nowadays - but I’d say it was much more dangerous back in the day, when the nation was full of flashers and random pervs. But I digress!

A pleasant run on a beautiful spring late afternoon. Note to self: start putting sunscreen in the gear bag.

And we are off. Good to have some more structure, and really this is ultimately all about the 800m later in the summer.

WTD: 25k (16m)
    MTD: 228 (142)
    YTD: 674 (419)

• Advertisement

Interested to see how the new plan goes.

I remember a friend of mine telling me that the name Harold was that of a family from Rathfarnham. Apparently the cross was placed on the edge of the Archbishop of Dublin's lands to warn the Harold family that they weren't to come on to the land.

That may be waffle and I'm sure Denis can throw more light on it.

Sounds like a typical archbishop alright. I’m with the Harolds. Bleedin’ cheek!

Sounds like a typical archbishop alright. I’m with the Harolds. Bleedin’ cheek!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold%27s_Cross

Wikipedia offers some alternatives!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold%27s_Cross

Wikipedia offers some alternatives!

It always does. But I could have put half of them there myself! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I had to google that plan, looks very interesting. Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it.

W2 of 9 cont.

Thu 28 Mar

Hill reps: 13x30 secs (90 sec rec)

This was down for Fri but switched around as I already have a lunch date tomorrow, and to swap does not break the “hard/easy principle” (avoid consecutive hard days). But where to find a suitable hill in town? A quick WhatsApp to the trusted consiglieri threw up a few suggestions: Parkgate St., Christchurch area, and the long railway bridge into East Wall from Sheriff St., behind the Convention Centre. I chose the latter, which was just about long enough, and as it’s a bridge offered the opportunity to vary things by using both sides. A little short actually, as most of the reps to the crest came in slightly under - but close enough! The right knee was a big niggly on the way out and on the way back, but fine during the workout itself - testament, perhaps, to the idea that running up hills is easier on the auld joints. Total for the outing: 7.3k

Fri 29 Mar

50 mins easy / 20 mins recovery

A runch date with Singer. I was late because a meeting went over but managed to hook up for a couple of laps of Stephen’s Green, a spot I am starting to like more. B went off to his own meeting and I did a couple more laps around the outside, before heading back to the office. Realised then that I’d locked myself out. No one around to let me in, and I was starving, so I got an impromptu second run in, a gentle jog home for lunch. :) 9.6k for the day.

Sat 30 Mar

45 mins recovery in St Anne’s with FBOT and Ferris. Chatty. A few ears might be burning. :pac:

Sun 31 Mar

LR: 15.9km @ 5:30 avg

First LR of the plan. The idea is 1 mile WU/CD in zone 1 (recovery pace), the rest in Zone 2 (easy). I moved the watch to the inside of my wrist to get better HR read (a tip from Ferris) and it seemed to work. The idea was to keep the main part of the run under 90 percent of LT HR. For me, that translates to a max of 156 - drifted slightly over in a couple of spots, but generally in the right range. When compared with average pace, however, it seems I was working a little harder than I should be on this kind of run, so it will be interesting to see if I can improve that as the plan progresses.

WTD: 66k (41m)
    MTD: 268 (167)
    YTD: 714 (444)

Fitzgerald 80/20 5k: Week 3 of 9

This week is a stepback. Have read more of the book and hopefully know better what I’m doing now. But will be adjusting the schedule to accommodate Round 9 of the Raheny Winter League on Weds.

Mon 1 Apr

Rest day. Took it.

Tue 2 Apr

Speedplay session scheduled (6x2mins @ VO2). Ditched this due to tomorrow’s night’s race, swapping in 45 mins easy (8k).

Wed 3 Apr

Winter League Round 9: 1 mile

Was I looking forward to this? I kinda was, anticipating it all day, as you tend to do with evening races. Got to Raheny in time for a couple of laps of the circuit. More used to racing the mile on the track, so had set up the watch for 400m laps so I’d hear the beep. Used the warmup to find exactly where these 400m splits would be on the course, because it would help to have the visual markers and tap into whatever little I’ve learned about the mile and its unique challenges.

The race began after the usual announcements and lack of fuss. I’d lined up to the left which meant a bit of a dash to get into a good position to dodge around a parked car about 25 in. Managed that quite well. A lot of runners tore off, and I was happy to let them at it and just try to hit 90 seconds for the first 400. This put me at the head of a little group behind the hares, joined by C who usually finishes close behind me, and we were soon joined also by skyblue. (I’d been chatting to S beforehand - to be honest, before this chat I'd thought I might have a chance of his scalp tonight, but I quickly found out he’d done his homework and wouldn’t be making himself an easy target by underthinking the need to pace, the mile being an endurance event after all.)

I stole a glance at the watch at the beep just to confirm the pace was good - 89 seconds, bang on. This first section was into a headwind so I was happy to have gotten into the right kind of groove, and looked forward to the long stretch down All Saints Road where there would be the comfort of an initial downhill and a tailwind for most of the way. C was starting to blow a bit by the turn, 600m in, although he held on as we went past the first few slowing runners. At the 800m mark (speed bump 1, for future reference), I girded myself for the equivalent of lap 3 - where you need to really dig in as your brain starts to tell you, slow down, you’re tiring and there’s still a long way to go. There was a car ahead, slowing to take a left turn. This is one of the charms of the Raheny road circuit - negotiating the inevitable traffic and the odd bus. :eek: I had take the long way around it, but at least that distracted from the growing discomfort. We passed Helenanne and powered past A, a perennial F50 medalist. S made his move around here, and I tried to respond, dropping C in the process. I felt quite good still for this stage of the race, trying to relax and let it happen. At the 1200m mark (speed bump 2), I spotted a runner, K, whom I’d battled in one of the early two milers. I hadn’t come close in any subsequent races but he looked vulnerable tonight. Went past strongly just before the final turn, with about 300m remaining. I’ve never been passed on this stretch and had told myself during the warmup I'd maintain that record. I could hear someone drawing up to my shoulder - glanced around expecting to see K, but it was someone else. I hit the accelerator again and concentrated on S, maybe 10-15m and two places ahead by now. I’d visualised myself finishing this stretch strongly, and was definitely battling the lactate now. The gap started closing. Someone shouted the elapsed time (5:31?) at the little bend about 90-100m short of the finish, and I could tell I was close to a sub-5:50 time, although I was more interested in seeing was there enough road left to reel S in, but alas, it was not going to happen.

Official result: 18th in 5:51

Splits (approx)
    1:29 1:31 1:26 1:25

A good race though - much different to the paced miles and Graded Miles/1500s I’ve done over the past 18 months. Very happy with the strategy and the execution, and the 18th place finish is quite good, with a couple of scalps taken. ;) Couple more cooldown laps with S, taking today’s total to 8.8k

WTD: 17k (10m)
    MTD: 17(10)
    YTD: 731 (454)

I hadn't realised I had a target on my back! Haha. That time check was 5:25...I heard your name called and knew you were only 3 seconds behind the 5:22 check I got. Super spot prize you got me, 3 bits of club gear :-)

I hadn't realised I had a target on my back! Haha. That time check was 5:25...I heard your name called and knew you were only 3 seconds behind the 5:22 check I got. Super spot prize you got me, 3 bits of club gear :-)

Nice prize! I got the usual left over shirts from races I havent done. Third time ‘winning’ this dubious stash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Nice going D, should convert to a faster mile on the track in the future.

Advertisement