Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Week 3 of 9 cont.

Thu 4 Apr

Cross train: 60 mins gym.

This plan allows you to swap out any of the easy runs for cross-training, and recommends that you do so at least once a week. I finally caved and went to the gym, doing the basic S&C session I got drawn up a couple of months ago but had yet to actually go and do. It’s a basic bit of circuit training with a little added core work, and bicep curls with a fixed weight that some might find embarrassingly small. The programme calls for 4x15 reps of the various leg curls, chest presses, etc., but I eased in with 3x12 for most of the exercises. Will build up to the prescribed level over a few sessions.

Fri 5 Apr

Hill reps: 8x30 secs (90 sec rec)

Back over to Mount East Wall for the session. It’s not the most glamorous hill in the city but it does the job. A surprising amount of pedestrians to dodge on such a bleak little hill, but all part of the challenge. The legs still had a bit of the burn from the other night, which suggests it was an honest effort. Arms a bit sore too from the gym. All good though.

Sat 6 Apr

50 mins recovery (zone 1)

Parkrun volunteering as part of team FBOT in St. Anne’s, then jogged home keeping a careful eye on the HR to stay around 130-140, my prescribed zone. I would never have gone as slowly as I did - about 6:09/k (9:54/m) without these instructions. Felt fine though - some runners report feeling weird or unable to keep form at slow speeds, but not me. Restorative.

Sun 7 Apr

LR: 13.3km @ 5:47 (avg HR 149 - zone 2)

Kept a close eye on the HR again, trying to stay between 142-156 after the warmup mile. This resulted in a slower run than last week, although perhaps not surprising given I headed up the Royal Canal an its numerous locks, then had a fresh breeze in my face for the homeward half. Waved at a former Cru clubmate at Ballyboggan. A pleasant enough run on a lovely morning. Good to get home and see some excellent marathon results out there today - well done to all concerned.

Week 3 stats:
    Total running: 257 mins
    Easy: 218 mins (85%)
    Moderate/Hard: 39 mins (15%)

WTD: 44k (27m)
    MTD: 44 (27)
    YTD: 758 (471)

Fitzgerald 80/20 5k: Week 4 of 9

This week: Into the peak phase of the 9-week 5k plan, which I expect will get pretty tough over next few weeks. But enjoying it so far. Adapting the schedule again to include Winter League race on Weds.

Mon 8 Apr

5k with 4x3 mins @ VO2

Recovery run on the plan, but brought forward this session from tomorrow, which wasn’t a problem as the weekend had been all easy/recovery stuff, and low mileage to boot. I found it very hard to get up to the target pace - don’t think I ever did really - but the session is a success if you get to target HR and I did manage this. Did the session again in Fairview Park, avoiding the grass this time as it was wet and probably a bit slippy around the pitches. Pace certainly felt faster than the watch was suggesting, and hopefully was.

Tue 9 Apr

45 mins recovery in Poolbeg with Anna. Headwind made the first half of this a bit annoying, but much better (and warmer) when we turned.

Wed 10 Apr

Winter League Round 10: 1 mile (5:43 - PB)

I haven’t been happy with the last few races - the times have been poor and the racing has not been very brave. I needed a change of tactics and sought some advice from M and D. The result of this was a simple enough strategy: more aggressive, yet sustainable start; get on the shoulder of a challenging opponent; back yourself; finish strong.

A couple of miles warmup and some strides. Lined up on the right this time as it gives a better line through the first 400. Concentrated on getting up to speed. It felt fast but manageable, and by a little after the 400 mark I was on KF’s shoulder, confident that if I could stick with him through the middle part of the race I’d have a chance of a good result. With another runner, who would also represent a decent challenge, we were a group of three. Unlike last week, I don’t recall much progression through the field on the All Saints ‘back straight’ - with the more aggressive opening, it was more a case of hanging on. I stole a glance at the watch at halfway and could see it had indeed been a good opening. Worked on just holding it together along All Saints Road, staying in touch with the lads until the final left turn. Some dry heaves around the 1k mark, but I managed to fight them off (not sure how). The difficult third 400 had gone by in a flash, and I was in good shape as the business end approached. We hoovered up one or two runners near the final turn, and as we approached I made the decision to push hard and leave the group behind once into the bend. I am confident on the Wade Ave ‘home straight’ as I’ve yet to lose a place here in the WL to date, but it was time to make that statistic more meaningful by pushing earlier and trying to hold on. So I went past OP and KF, kicking hard then harder again - a success, because I started to gain on the two runners further ahead, providing a fresh target for the last 200m. Caught one of them, who came back at me hard. But despite the burn in the legs, I felt stronger than last week and successfully held him off. So four places gained in the final 400 - can’t complain about that! 17th place in 5:43 - a three-second PB for the distance.

Splits (approx)
    1:25 1:27 1:29 1:22

As perfect a race as I could wish for really - in terms of conditions and successful execution of the plan. After a good few so-so performances it’s very welcome. Another couple of laps cool down to bring the night’s total to 8.7k (5.4m).

WTD: 22k (14m)
    MTD: 66 (41)
    YTD: 780 (485)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

PB!!! Raheny is working out so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Congrats D. The race report suggests that you were genuinely in a race from the start this time. It may just be how I am interpreting your reports of course. Being directly involved with other runners certainly works very well for you and the "no car to skirt around" in the opening 400m was no harm :). Congrats on the continuing PB's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good stuff D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Good man D, loads of fighting spirt shown there, bravo sir!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

That's far from a so-so performance. Catching four in the last 400 of a mile, while getting a PB, is no mean feat! Plus you've gained another rung or two on the RS ladder :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Super stuff. A three second pb over a mile is great going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Very well done! I didn't know it was a PB! (But I saw your time in the results and thought it was v fast.) Well raced!

And thanks for encouraging me to do a few strides and do the race -- I know I get nervous before races, but I hadn't felt THAT physically sick before one for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Congrats on the PB! 1m comes across as such an unforgiving distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done, D! Super performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Fair play - decent splits and a goo last 400. Top man for the short stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Super running D. I'd have been sucking in your exhaust fumes if I had made it last night. As A says you really have a great handle on the short stuff. Brilliant PB. I hope you're keeping the 28th free ;)

Singer wrote: »
    PB!!! Raheny is working out so :)

It’s not the first. ;) But yes, I am settling in and enjoying the atmosphere over here on the NS.
    denis b wrote: »
    Congrats D. The race report suggests that you were genuinely in a race from the start this time. It may just be how I am interpreting your reports of course. Being directly involved with other runners certainly works very well for you and the "no car to skirt around" in the opening 400m was no harm :). Congrats on the continuing PB's.

Youre right, Denis. I don’t often get into ‘races’ - it’s a confidence thing. Fear of failure, or something else that prevents me taking on people. Much easier to hang back and not go when the opponent goes, take solace in the time rather than the position. But it’s not one or the other - why not both?
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Good stuff D

Thanks Laura - you picked the wrong night for supporting. Much nicer conditions this week.
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Good man D, loads of fighting spirt shown there, bravo sir!!!

Cheers Barry. Im a slow learner but getting there. :)
    That's far from a so-so performance. Catching four in the last 400 of a mile, while getting a PB, is no mean feat! Plus you've gained another rung or two on the RS ladder :pac:

Thanks Jason - I hope it doesnt come across the wrong way. This was the antidote to the so-so stuff. So-so is better than not-so, but good to have ‘moreso’ every now and then.
    Super stuff. A three second pb over a mile is great going.

Thank you - any PB at any time will always be embraced! I’d hope to lower that now on the track with the right conditions.
    HelenAnne wrote: »
    Very well done! I didn't know it was a PB! (But I saw your time in the results and thought it was v fast.) Well raced!

And thanks for encouraging me to do a few strides and do the race -- I know I get nervous before races, but I hadn't felt THAT physically sick before one for ages!

I was pretty nervous myself. As we were saying, its a good thing, within reason. You were so close to the milestone again yourself. Matter of time!
    ariana` wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB! 1m comes across as such an unforgiving distance.

Cheers. Not as unforgiving as 800 - you still have a little time to settle and to adjust. But yeah, so different to longer stuff.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done, D! Super performance.

Thanks G. Your day will come too.
    Fair play - decent splits and a goo last 400. Top man for the short stuff.

Thanks A. And yet more competitive (age wise) at the longer stuff, if the odd medal and prize are anything to go by. ;)
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Super running D. I'd have been sucking in your exhaust fumes if I had made it last night. As A says you really have a great handle on the short stuff. Brilliant PB. I hope you're keeping the 28th free ;)

Ah the conditions were great, you’d have flown it yourself. What’s on the 28th? :pac:

Thanks all.

Week 4 of 9 cont.

Thu 11 Apr

42 mins recovery

Visit to cardiologist. All good, I'm told. Celebrated with a few slow miles at Donadea.

Fri 12 Apr

7k recovery

Slow jog to and from the gym. Nearly collided with a neighbour exiting her front gate. We both threw our hands up in the air and ended up holding hands as if we were about to dance the Walls of Limerick. :eek: Gym session was good - a little easier than last week and not as sore afterwards.

Sat 13 Apr

AM - 40 mins recovery
    PM - 40 mins easy

The morning jog was on quiet north County Dublin roads and around the pitches at Ballyboughal GAA club as the under 10s toiled away on the field. A few easy miles on the seafront for the second outing. I don't often do doubles, and these seemed a little short and easy to necessitate such a thing, especially on a Saturday, but just following the plan. ;)

Sun 14 Apr

50 mins with 30 mins at LT

First tempo of the schedule - and at 30 mins, it had my attention. Headed out to St. Anne’s hoping to get some protection from the wind. Instructions were to run at LT HR - 168-175 for me. This is the top half of zone 3 HR. I misunderstood how the watch was displaying the zones and the first quarter of the run was a little under the desired HR. I corrected, but the easier start probably contributed to the manageability of this - to be honest I thought I still had about 10 mins left when the beep went to signal the cooldown. Pace was a bit erratic, but could be partly due to the wind and the tree cover. But no matter - it’s all about time and HR.

So the first of the peak weeks completed. Maybe a little easier than if I hadn’t adjusted, but then again the adjustment was for a mile race, which isn’t the worst substitute for a session of short, hard intervals.

Week 3 stats:
    Total running: 337 mins
    Easy: 263 mins (78%)
    Moderate/Hard: 74 mins (22%)

WTD: 58k (36m)
    MTD: 102 (63)
    YTD: 816 (507)

Fitzgerald 80/20 5k: Week 5 of 9

No racing this week. Just working with and around the plan. I feel I am getting into it now, and the emphasis on HR and time (as opposed to pace and distance) as the means of evaluating effort is a way of keeping things fresh, rather than just revisiting what’s worked (or not worked) in the past.

Mon 15 Apr

47 mins recovery

The wind hadn’t let up yet. Quite a gale to deal with on the way out to the wooden bridge. Joined by M out there and a much easier jog back to Fairview/East Wall before heading home.

Tue 16 Apr

AM: 50 mins recovery (Drumcondra/Glasnevin roads)
    PM: Club intervals: 2 sets (3x300, 2x400, 1x800)

A good turn out for Mick C’s session, now moved to St. Anne’s. A combination I’ve not done before, requiring quite different levels of effort. I took up the usual spot near the front of the second group, with HelenAnne and a couple of new faces (new to me, as I continue to meet more of the Raheny membership). I felt stronger for the longer reps, but the effort levels were good and consistent throughout. MC encourages us to feel the way into the session, and I interpret this as an invitation to treat the first couple of reps as transitional - building up - which I think is useful for everyone, especially the more elderly among us.

1:08 1:04 1:00
    1:26 1:28
    3:02
    1:05 1:03 1:04
    1:25 1:25
    3:00

About 70-80s recovery per rep, and 4 mins between the sets. It’s interesting to observe how other runners do these. Some people fade after a while, others seems to get stronger. It’s all about knowing your training paces and having good judgement about what you can sustain.

Wed 17 Apr

31 mins easy

A one-night ‘microbreak’ in Waterford, so headed out around the coastal path adjacent to the hotel. Bracing, and managed not to get lost, despite a couple of ambiguous signposts. Legs were tired enough after last night’s session. Rewarded myself with sauna and swim afterwards.

Thu 18 Apr

41 mins rec/easy/moderate

A was doing 6x2mins at around her 5k pace. I joined her, heading to the beach and its alternating head/tailwind. Tough enough for an ‘easy’ run, with last night’s dinner and wine to work off. More sauna/swim, then a hearty breakfast.

Supposed to be a double day. Didn’t make the PM run/crosstrain as we opted to take the scenic route home. But we had a great walk across the Kilmacthomas viaduct, now part of the Waterford Greenway which I’d like to cycle at some point in future. Great views, including the Flahavan’s porridge factory. Club table quiz later - 2nd place (beaten by Redrunner’s team on the tiebreak), but won our entry fee and raffle ticket money back!

Fri 19 Apr

Short interval session: 12 x 90s (zone 5)

This was quite a meaty session, around Fairview Park’s main GAA pitch on a glorious Good Friday morning. A little bit tired after the pub bit of last night’s quiz, but there was nothing for it but to just get out there and get on with it. Zone 5 workout with a target HR of 106% LT (that’s an eye-popping 186+ for me). The first rep felt unsustainably fast, covering a full lap of the pitch. I settled in somewhat but badly needed every second of the long two-and-a-half-min recoveries. These are supposed to be jogged at zone 1 HR, but I walked the fourth, the eighth and all the later ones, except the last one spent lying on the grass. There’s a lot of HR lag with short reps, but by the fourth I was getting to the right zone, but just about. Bunched after this - plenty of work to be done.

WTD: 47k (29m)
    MTD: 149 (92)
    YTD: 863 (536)

Week 5 of 9 cont.

Sat 20 Apr

AM - 40 mins easy
    PM - 50 mins recovery

An easy-to-MP parkrun in the morning followed by coffee and chats. Impromptu Pilates session later at home, guided by a virtual instructor on an Apple TV app. (Not the worst ever, not the best either.) Double day so out again later for a few recovery miles on the seafront.

Sun 21 Apr

58 mins with 32 @ LT

Over to the Phoenix Park. A beautiful morning, and very warm - 19 degrees during this run according to Garmin. It was obvious from the start that I wouldn’t be hitting anything close to what I consider tempo pace (and it’s possible that tempo pace is not correct). The aim of the run was to complete the 32 mins with HR between 168-174. Assuming I was getting a good read, It took about 5 mins to climb into the range and to keep it there I had to vary the pace quite a lot, especially on the uphill sections. The effort felt pretty constant, and there’s no doubt if I’d been trying to base this run/effort on pace, as has been my traditional bent, it would not have been pretty. Took quite a while for the HR to get down to zone 1 afterwards too - in fact I had to walk part of the cooldown to ensure that happened. This was a tough run but the method prevented me going too into the red and overdoing it. It will be interesting to see if this approach pays dividends - 9 week block possibly too short to prompt significant adaptation?

A good week, possibly the toughest of the nine. However I notice I've strayed too far from the 80/20 ratio, due mainly to swapping in the longer Tues club session. This week was supposed to work out around 78/22. Should have adjusted somewhere along the line, so something to watch out for and avoid in coming weeks.

Week 5 stats:
    Total running: 432 mins
    Easy: 316 mins (73%)
    Moderate/Hard: 116 mins (27%)

WTD: 73k (45m)
    MTD: 175 (109)
    YTD: 889 (553)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Murph_D wrote: »

Tue 16 Apr

PM: Club intervals: 2 sets (3x300, 2x400, 1x800)

A good turn out for Mick C’s session, now moved to St. Anne’s. A combination I’ve not done before, requiring quite different levels of effort. I took up the usual spot near the front of the second group, with HelenAnne and a couple of new faces (new to me, as I continue to meet more of the Raheny membership). I felt stronger for the longer reps, but the effort levels were good and consistent throughout. MC encourages us to feel the way into the session, and I interpret this as an invitation to treat the first couple of reps as transitional - building up - which I think is useful for everyone, especially the more elderly among us.

1:08 1:04 1:00
    1:26 1:28
    3:02
    1:05 1:03 1:04
    1:25 1:25
    3:00

About 70-80s recovery per rep, and 4 mins between the sets. It’s interesting to observe how other runners do these. Some people fade after a while, others seems to get stronger. It’s all about knowing your training paces and having good judgement about what you can sustain.

I meant to say, I particularly love reading your session reports, because I never remember to time my laps, so running near-ish :) to you, gives me a ballpark notion of my pace. So thanks for that! :)

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I meant to say, I particularly love reading your session reports, because I never remember to time my laps, so running near-ish :) to you, gives me a ballpark notion of my pace. So thanks for that! :)

Anytime! But it’s easy enough, just a press of the lap button at the start and the end of each rep. :)

Fitzgerald 80/20 5k: Week 6 of 9

This week: Conclusion of the Winter League with the Open Mile. The 5k plan continues. And a weekend free of distractions from the plan.

Mon 22 Apr

Rest day.

Tue 23 Apr

AM: 45mins easy
    PM: Cross train (gym)

Early morning run on the seafront. Don’t often get out at this time anymore - much more pleasant than the work commute. Feeling pretty decent after the day off. Took the PM gym session handy enough all the same, didn’t want to be overstressing the leg exercises too much with tomorrow night’s race in mind.

Wed 24 Apr

10k inc. Winter League Round 11: Raheny Open Mile (38th in 5:46)

Much more relaxed about tonight’s race than the last one. Quite a busy work day, ending with a meeting at the end of which an offer of whiskey was made by our host, Mad Men-style. Tempting, but declined. Later, a lift out to Raheny from Aoife and Paul, so no traffic stress either. A couple of warmup laps with A and P, joined by Helen. Hello to Sean and a few others, then a few strides and just generally keeping warm before the off. A few more runners at the sharper end this week, as the club uses this race as part of the Road Relay selection process. Good few singlets in evidence, unusually, adding to the crackling atmosphere just before the start.

We lined up, the starter shouts ’Go!’ and we are off. I tuck in behind D, who had a good 10-mile race the other day. It’s a fast enough start, but I sense D’s post-race fatigue and push on quite early, finding myself a few places behind K, who finished just in front of me last time out. He’s also probably a bit fatigued from the Monday race too, but moving well. There are others around, but I know the main rivals and that's where the focus is. Around the bend with 600m done already. It feels fast. I may have passed a couple of lads here, maybe not - I’m more focused on what’s happening behind as I can feel people just over my shoulder. S probably one of them. The early sense of going out maybe a little too fast has dissipated. I feel good. Consciously try to relax and consolidate, don’t show any weakness to whoever’s behind. Not as focused on the 400m markers this time and I miss speed bump one completely, so into the second half without the usual dread of ‘lap 3’. I haven’t looked at the watch, it’s all feel, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t. There’s more support on the course than usual, especially for the larger than usual contingent of female runners tonight, a few of whom are obviously not far behind. No one has passed, but with about 400m left, maybe a bit more, here comes S, decisively making a move. He looks relaxed, a lesson in late-stage racecraft. But I try not to admire this too much as we round the final bend, trying to hang on, stay in touch and you never know what might happen in the last 200. But S does exactly what I did two weeks ago, powering past a group of three or four (or five?) out of the turn. I give chase and pass that group too, pushing hard and trying to choose the good Wade Avenue line. This exact spot will be the hotpoint of the relay cauldron on Sunday, might be useful to have a good feel for it. Just like last time, one of the passed group comes back at me. It’s K, a strong finisher, but I know he must be hurting badly and a little extra push is enough. I fairly tear through the final 100, almost but not quite catching the ‘Lady Captain’, holding off the people behind. It’s felt like a blistering race, and I’m surprised to hear the timer shout the count of (5:)44, 45, 46 as I push through the line.

So a slightly disappointing time, but as good a mile as I’ve raced, very similar to last time out if three seconds slower. A couple of fellow M50s held off, so in the aftermath I’m fairly confident of making one of the three available teams. A cooldown with S, A and P. Everyone has run well. P has broken 6 mins at his first attempt, which impressed me anyway. We are all feeling the burn, and poor P has a coughing fit that demonstrates his commitment. An extra lap with S and back to the plushness of Shamrock Towers for tea and flapjacks and many announcements and presentations. No winter league honours, but at least from the way the prizes were distributed, I can deduce I was in the premier league although relegation is a strong possibility! :pac:

Thu 25 Apr

No running. The plan is getting shot to sh*t this week. :rolleyes:

Fri 26 Apr

AM: 45 mins easy

PM: ‘Long interval’ session: 4 x 3 mins at LT

Out before work for 45 mins easy on the seafront. Getting a bit blowy but pleasant enough. Later, the road relay teams are announced and I haven't made the cut. The club is very competitive at M50 (one of the reasons I switched clubs) so I'm not too disappointed - I know I've given it a good shot. At least it means I can get back to the plan and start to focus more on that. No regrets. Swapped out the Fri session for the missed Tuesday ‘long intervals’. However I misread the instructions and did the the 3-min sections at LT pace rather than zone 4. No wonder the watch was beeping at me! :rolleyes: Oh well. Onwards and outwards!

WTD: 32k (20m)
    MTD: 207 (129)
    YTD: 921 (573)

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear you missed out on selection.

I'm curious to see you had a double day yesterday, one a session. Is this something you've done before or is it specific to this plan ?

Sorry to hear you missed out on selection.

I'm curious to see you had a double day yesterday, one a session. Is this something you've done before or is it specific to this plan ?

Thanks P. The plan has 2-3 double days per week, at least one of which is also a session day, usually the Tues. Obviously one of the two runs is always easy or recovery. Sometimes it’s two easy runs. There is the option to substitute one of these with cross training, which Fitzgerald recommends at least once per week. So I’ve been trying to get to the gym once a week, not on any particular day.

This is a new thing for me. P&D has double days but not on the plan versions I’ve used. I haven’t found any issue with the double so far. It’s designed to build the mileage/running time while minimizing the number of long runs, I suppose.

Why do you ask?

Coz im a nosey fecker! Haha

In all honesty I didn't recall seeing you do them before (specifically easy plus session) and I'd always worry a little with double daying sessions that it increases the risk of injury. (not questioning your methods, just curious if it was something new to you). I know it's common enough at the upper levels of plans.

I did a double day for a while last year but always easy plus easy.

Dunno what I'm trying to say really. Haha

Coz im a nosey fecker! Haha

In all honesty I didn't recall seeing you do them before (specifically easy plus session) and I'd always worry a little with double daying sessions that it increases the risk of injury. (not questioning your methods, just curious if it was something new to you). I know it's common enough at the upper levels of plans.

I did a double day for a while last year but always easy plus easy.

Dunno what I'm trying to say really. Haha

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the question. You’re right - it’s definitely something I’m aware is new for me, and I monitor it pretty carefully - especially on session days (as you’ll see from my strava I’m pretty good at keeping the easy runs easy). I can honestly say I haven’t felt any undue difficulties with am easy / pm session. Except for the extra showering and gear washing! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

6 weeks in - whats the thoughts on the Fitzgerald book & plan??

6 weeks in - whats the thoughts on the Fitzgerald book & plan??

Good question. It’s a bit early to assess the plan’s effectiveness - we’ll leave that til after the race. (FBOT is also using the method so it will not be a sample of one).

I like the book. Like many of the other major works (Daniels, Pfitzinger, Hanson, etc.) it is concise and evidence-based. Its simple premise, in defense of which it mobilizes a substantial number of studies, is that almost all running improvement is based on running more, and that the most efficient way to run more is to do the majority (yes, around 80 percent) of your running at low intensity. The structure of the other 20 percent is important too, striking the right balance between moderate and high intensity, and that’s what the plans are designed to do.

What I find refreshing is the absolute insistence that recovery and easy runs are monitored entirely by HR, to prevent them drifting too much - as Fitzgerald claims most runners naturally allow them to do - into moderate pace (which still produces improvement, just not maximum improvement). Moderate and higher intensities are monitored via HR and appropriate pace (performance based, via Macmillan etc.), mainly because repetitions and other short workouts can’t be solely based on observed heart rate because of cardiac lag.

Low intensity training (and running more), it is convincingly argued, is the basis not only for aerobic development and endurance adaptation, but also for developing effective natural technique, form, and what Fitzgerald calls “relaxed smooth ease” - a version, I suppose, of being in the zone, the ‘flow state’ that leads to a quiet mind, mental toughness, superior race management, pain endurance etc. Wise words or overstated panacea? We’ll see!

As to the plan itself - and it’s 5k focused, so obviously not designed around marathon type endurance - a lot of it is by definition easy to do. The moderate/high intensity workouts are a different story. Interestingly, Mark and I are both struggling to match the tempo runs - at LT heart rate - with the expected pace. This could be a function of lack of specific fitness, or poor HR monitoring. I’m pretty confident that the Garmin 235, worn on inside of wrist, is usually fairly accurate. But it’s occasionally plainly wrong, so if I was doing the marathon version of this plan I’d be investing in better HRM equipment.

I’ve found the speed work to be very challenging so far. Some of this is mental - it’s all time-based, which is different to most plans I’ve used before, and it can take a bit of getting used to, especially if running on a closed loop like around a football pitch, which is what’s I’ve been doing. The workouts themselves tend to be a bit on the monotonous side. There’s little variation in rep lengths in a single session, but you could say the same about Hanson. Personally I prefer the way Daniels sometimes mixes up this kind of session with different rep distances.

The book is well written and convincing. The proof of the pudding will be in the race results! I’ve varied the plan somewhat, but within the principles laid down in early chapters. So hopefully staying within the philosophy and the method. We will see in a few weeks at the Bob Heffernan. If it gets me another good sub-20 I will deem it a success!

Week 6 of 9 cont.

Sat 27 Apr

45 mins easy

Hooked up with M for a chatty trot around St. Anne’s, discussing the issues of the day. ;)

Sun 28 Apr

45 mins with 24 mins @ LT

After a morning spent watching London Marathon and an afternoon at the Road Relays (well done, all), I managed to squeeze in today’s session before dinner. 10 mins warming up, then into the tempo, against a bit of a breeze out along the seafront. Just tried to keep it between the ditches (i.e. 168-175 ppm), failing again to get anywhere near the 7:00/mile my LT was measured at three years ago. Story of the plan so far - revealed through the HR data, because if I was running this to pace I probably could have gone closer to that pace, but only by flogging myself, in which case it wouldn’t be LT! And that ends the stepback week 6 at a measly 30 miles.

Week 6 stats:
    Running 273 mins + Gym 60 mins = 333 mins
    Easy: 273 mins (78%)
    Moderate/Hard: 60 mins (22%)

WTD: 49k (30m)
    MTD: 224 (139)
    YTD: 938 (583)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Murph_D wrote: »
    P has broken 6 mins at his first attempt, which impressed me anyway. We are all feeling the burn, and poor P has a coughing fit that demonstrates his commitment.

Cheers D. Not sure I've fully recovered from it yet. The shorter distance is definitely a different beast to anything I've raced previously.

Cheers D. Not sure I've fully recovered from it yet. The shorter distance is definitely a different beast to anything I've raced previously.

There’s an 800m available on Weds night up the road from you, if you want to dial it up a bit more!

• Advertisement

Fitzgerald 80/20 5k: Week 7 of 9

Week Seven is supposed to be the plan’s peak. But I will yet again be modifying, with an 800m race available. And the weekend will offer some Galway running.

Mon 29 Apr

45 mins easy

Out the seafront during the U10 GAA training. For the first time since starting the plan, I felt the HR zone matched the perceived effort. Only recovery pace, but progress?

Tue 30 Apr

AM: 45mins easy
    PM: (Not quite full) Speed: 8x300 (70s rec)

At lunchtime, what is becoming one of the stock easy runs, the out and back on the Grand Canal past Harold’s Cross. HR looking good. The evening session was the Mick Clohisey group in St. Anne’s. The session was 12x300 (which matched the plan very well, as it happens), but with a likely race tomorrow it was agreed that a shorter, less intense approach (‘cruise’ was the keyword) would be the wise option. Clubmate A was in the same boat, so after the first few reps we took it nice and handy at the back of the group before ducking out early. I did a lap or two watching the others, then home before dark.

April total: 247k (153m)

Wed 1 May

Race: Graded Meet 1 (Morton): 800m

As has been the case of late, I was very relaxed in advance of this, hardly giving it a thought, although I do enjoy these meets, and by the time I finished work I was certainly looking forward to it. A couple of miles warmup in the Santry Demesne, apparently failing to hear Ultrawoman’s shouted greeting as I briefly chatted to another runner entering the park, and therefore sadly missing an opportunity to do a lap or two with her. Then the usual waiting about, trying to stay warm along with other general faffing about while waiting for the race. Chat with Pat H who said some nice things; watched a couple of clubmates in the women’s event; said hello to some former Cru colleagues, who were out in force tonight. Watched Raycun in the first D race - pity we didn’t get to go head to head. :)

At last, it was my turn, lining up with the seven other runners, starting - after some confusion - in lane 2. Got off fairly well, and by the break line at the start of the back straight there were two young lads out in front, while I found myself in a little pod of three with S, a Tallaght runner I often meet at these events, and a guy from DSD. It felt like a decent start. Didn’t want to repeat my mistake from this race last year of going out too fast, so wasn’t too alarmed when the pace noticeably settled towards the end of the back straight. Trundled around to the home straight and saw 72/73 seconds on the clock as we commenced lap two. This suggested a good time might be on the cards, but of course by now the pace was biting. The young lads were out of sight, and I was still bringing up the rear of the the group of three, with not much pressure (yet) from behind. On the back straight I went past DSD and chased Tallaght as he started to inject some pace. That was the race really - by the last 200 I was hanging on and didn’t entertain any thoughts of third place, was more interested in staying ahead of DSD and no doubt one or two more. I could sense them gaining on me and did my best to close it out on the home straight and stay in fourth, which was how it finished. A few handshakes, shoe change and a few recovery laps of the perimeter with Ray and Terry, another Strava acquaintance finally met in the flesh. Went up to the booth then to get my time and was a little disappointed with the official 2:30.62. It had been a good race and I’d hoped I might have sneaked under the round number. But not a bad early-season result, and some four seconds faster than the last effort at the Indoor Arena.

Previous PB: 2:27.96 (National Masters 2018)
    Target: 2:30
    Actual: 2:30.62
    4th place (of 8)
    VDOT: 54.1
    AG: 82.5
    Verdict: Pleased.

WTD: 31k (19m)
    MTD: 8 (5)
    YTD: 969 (602)

Advertisement