Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It was a good run - give it another go at meet 3 and I'm sure you'll be faster. And we might get that head-to-head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done D, nice early season marker to run. Say that PB of your’s will be taken down by track seasons end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Week 7 of 9 cont.

I forgot to mention in previous post that it was a pleasure to chat before the Weds 800 with B, a St. Coca’s runner in his mid 70s who was lining up in the same race. Former 2:30 marathoner back in the golden era, and transitioned to race walking in his masters years. He didn’t mention the world age records he’d amassed in his 60s. One of the many great pleasures of running is meeting people like this.

Thu 2 May

51 mins recovery on the seafront. Legs quite dead after last night’s effort.

Fri 3 May

32 mins easy

We are in Galway for the weekend. A pleasant jaunt down to Salthill area and a loop of the walkway between the golf course and the sea.

Sat 4 May

AM: 52 mins easy inc Knocknacarra parkrun
    PM: 4x5 mins @ VO2

Jogged over to Knocknacarra with the missus. We tipped around and a grand chat after with the Sanctuary Runners people over there. You hear some very inspiring stories from the asylum seekers you meet at these occasions, although the focus is always on just enjoying the run and connecting with people through that shared interest.

We headed west to Renvyle then. I attempted the scheduled session - 7 x 5 mins @ VO2MAX pace. I’d raised my eyebrows when I first saw the session on the plan - it was always going to be a bitch of a workout, ranging towards the impossible. Struggling from the start, on a bumpy 1-mile loop around the hotel, and made an executive decision early on to stop after four or five reps. Pulled the plug on fourth, when the pace deteriorated noticeably. No problem getting up to the prescribed HR though. :rolleyes: Still a decent workout, so won’t get upset about it.

Sun 5 May

45 mins easy/recovery

Spectacular little run on the Renvyle peninsula in the sun, ringed by sea, the Bens and the mountains of Mayo across the bay. We were last here 17 years ago and hardly saw a thing with the weather. How different this time. Reminiscent of the Peloponnese, I was just saying to A after a few post-dinner pints. ;)

Week 7 stats:
    Total running: 430mins
    Easy: 375 mins (87%)
    Moderate/Hard: 55 mins (13%)

WTD: 71k (44m)
    MTD: 79 (49)
    YTD: 1,040 (646)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Murph_D wrote: »
    Week 7 of 9 cont.

I forgot to mention in previous post that it was a pleasure to chat before the Weds 800 with B, a St. Coca’s runner in his mid 70s who was lining up in the same race. Former 2:30 marathoner back in the golden era, and transitioned to race walking in his masters years. He didn’t mention the world age records he’d amassed in his 60s. One of the many great pleasures of running is meeting people like this.

Thu 2 May

51 mins recovery on the seafront. Legs quite dead after last night’s effort.

Fri 3 May

32 mins easy

We are in Galway for the weekend. A pleasant jaunt down to Salthill area and a loop of the walkway between the golf course and the sea.

Sat 4 May

AM: 52 mins easy inc Knocknacarra parkrun
    PM: 4x5 mins @ VO2

Jogged over to Knocknacarra with the missus. We tipped around and a grand chat after with the Sanctuary Runners people over there. You hear some very inspiring stories from the asylum seekers you meet at these occasions, although the focus is always on just enjoying the run and connecting with people through that shared interest.

We headed west to Renvyle then. I attempted the scheduled session - 7 x 5 mins @ VO2MAX pace. I’d raised my eyebrows when I first saw the session on the plan - it was always going to be a bitch of a workout, ranging towards the impossible. Struggling from the start, on a bumpy 1-mile loop around the hotel, and made an executive decision early on to stop after four or five reps. Pulled the plug on fourth, when the pace deteriorated noticeably. No problem getting up to the prescribed HR though. :rolleyes: Still a decent workout, so won’t get upset about it.

Sun 5 May

45 mins easy/recovery

Spectacular little run on the Renvyle peninsula in the sun, ringed by sea, the Bens and the mountains of Mayo across the bay. We were last here 17 years ago and hardly saw a thing with the weather. How different this time. Reminiscent of the Peloponnese, I was just saying to A after a few post-dinner pints. ;)

Week 7 stats:
    Total running: 430mins
    Easy: 375 mins (87%)
    Moderate/Hard: 55 mins (13%)

WTD: 71k (44m)
    MTD: 79 (49)
    YTD: 1,040 (646)

Glad you're enjoying Renvyle. I've run those roads many times, and never have I thought of using them for a session. That sounds like a tough one anyway, regardless of the terrain and route profile :eek: If you fancy a hill session before you leave, I recommend the one back up from the beach before the hotel entrance ;)

Glad you're enjoying Renvyle. I've run those roads many times, and never have I thought of using them for a session. That sounds like a tough one anyway, regardless of the terrain and route profile :eek: If you fancy a hill session before you leave, I recommend the one back up from the beach before the hotel entrance ;)

Ha! We did stop at that beach on the way in and remarked on the hill - we low-lying D3 residents are always noticing potential hill rep locations. Suffice to say I wasn’t sorry there were no hills in the plan this weekend. :pac:

• Advertisement

Fitzgerald 80/20 5k: Week 7 of 9 cont.

I’d gotten a day behind in the plan but that’s OK as the race is midweek so a couple of extra days are necessary anyway. Have decided that weeks 7 and either 8 or 9 will be changed to 8-day schedules. So this week’s Monday run is really part of last week, at least as far as the schedule is concerned. :p

Mon 6 May

14k ‘Fast finish’ MLR (easy with last 15m @ LT)

Having driven across the country and then sat down to watch GoT, it was good to finally get out and stretch the legs. The progressive finish felt tough but exhilarating at the same time. Very rarely do faster stuff on the seafront these days, so not too surprising that Strava tells me I’ve never run the Bull Wall - Fairview direction faster. This to add to a similar stat for the opposite direction last week. Notable considering the hundreds of runs I’ve done along there, I suppose.

(Recalculating week 7 stats):

Total running: 498 mins
    Easy: 428 mins (86%)
    Moderate/Hard: 70 mins (14%)

Interesting to see how much the ratios were thrown off by working around the midweek graded meet.

WTD: 14k (9m)
    MTD: 93 (58)
    YTD: 1,054 (655)

Fitzgerald 80/20 5k: Week 8 of 9

The penultimate week of the plan. I'm enjoying the training, but I keep forgetting there's a race at the end of it!

Tue 7 May

Cross-train: gym (60 mins)

Back to the gym after missing last week’s visit. Got through the routine easy enough, although there seemed to be more waiting around for machines to be free than usual, so I didn’t do the session in the order I would have preferred.

Wed 8 May

AM: 30 mins recovery
    PM: Club session - 4x200, 6x300, 4x200

The morning was tight for time and I cut the run a little short of the planned 40 mins. The treadmill decision was just to get an idea of pace vs HR in a more controlled environment. Results inconclusive! I always feel treadmill running feels faster than the equivalent pace outdoors - I know the ‘road’ is moving and therefore doing a lot of the work for you but at the same time the lack of wind and the indoor environment generates more heat/sweat. Anyway, a change is as good as a rest.

After work, I headed up to the club Wednesday session, which has moved to Morton Stadium for the summer (not sure I understand the winter seafront / summer Morton logic, unless it has something to do with the cross country season vs track season). After the warmup drills, I introduced myself to the coach and joined the slower of the two groups. The session was announced - 200s, 300s, 200s again, walk/jogback recoveries and mind the discus! Enjoyed this, and felt at home in the group. The coach picked someone to lead out each rep (not sure what the etiquette is supposed to be, but I think you’re supposed to not pass the lead-out until towards the end). I got to lead out one of the second set of 200s. Was very impressed with the coach - checking on everyone throughout, remembering all the names, counting out the times at the finish point, and making sure everyone was all right. Thumbs up all round.

Splits (approx):
    40 37 38 39
    61 61 64 64 62 62
    40 35 38 36

My own leadout was a bit fast, but I had to give a good account of myself. ;) A lap of Santry Demesne to cool down. Passed Ultrawoman on the way around so did an extra lap with her, as it’s been a while and I wanted to know how her training is going (swimmingly, it appears).

Thu 9 May

40 mins recovery in St. Anne’s with FBOT. Pissed rain all the way around, but was well prepared with a towel and some dry gear for the drive home. An enjoyable run, although the legs were fairly feeling last night’s pacy session.

WTD: 25k (16m)
    MTD: 118 (74)
    YTD: 1,079 (671)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

What is the difference between the club and Mick C sessions D?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    What is the difference between the club and Mick C sessions D?

Apart from the venue and the personnel, not a lot. Same kind of session really. With the track season started and the specific 800m training around the corner, I feel I should be doing more work on the track, but I’ll probably alternate between the two depending on whether Tues or Weds is a more suitable session night. The Weds group also meets on Sat mornings so that’s another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

wow that was some session 4 x 5mins at vo2 max fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Baby75 wrote:
    wow that was some session 4 x 5mins at vo2 max fair play

That one struck me too. It goes against all the theory I've read!

Well, it equates to about 4x1200 which is a session I’ve done before I think, although maybe slower. Can’t imagine the 7x version at that pace really. When I checked level 2 of the plan (vs the level 3 I’m following) the session actually WAS 4x5min, so perhaps I’m overreaching in some of the sessions alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well, it equates to about 4x1200 which is a session I’ve done before I think, although maybe slower. Can’t imagine the 7x version at that pace really. When I checked level 2 of the plan (vs the level 3 I’m following) the session actually WAS 4x5min, so perhaps I’m overreaching in some of the sessions alright.

Edit: 4x1200 may have been Hansons

Good that the plan prescribes Heart Rate as a control. Good that you checked out after rep 4. You could complete 7 if you go by HR only and allow the pace to drift. Very hard to do in a group session though and 7x5min V02 is sadistic!

I did 6 x 1.5 mins in vo2 max and it was tough and I do not think I could have hung on any longer

it does go against the theory all right are you following a plan from one of his books Murph_D

I failed to ask what was the recovery on those?

Edit: 4x1200 may have been Hansons

Good that the plan prescribes Heart Rate as a control. Good that you checked out after rep 4. You could complete 7 if you go by HR only and allow the pace to drift. Very hard to do in a group session though and 7x5min V02 is sadistic!

Well the book doesn't recommend HR as the control on these as it takes too long to build up to the target number. He recommends using pace (based on McMillan calculator) for long and short interval sessions. As it happens I didn't get near the pace, but did get the HR up to where it should be during each rep. Fourth rep was drifting badly off so canned it after that.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    I did 6 x 1.5 mins in vo2 max and it was tough and I do not think I could have hung on any longer

it does go against the theory all right are you following a plan from one of his books Murph_D

[Edit: yes, the book is Matt Fitzgerald's '80/20 Running' (byline 'Run stronger and race faster by training slower' - which represents the 80 percent bit pretty well but not the 20).] :p

Well it doesn't go against Fitzgerald's theory, I presume! I suppose one of the differences about this plan is the structure of that 'moderate/high intensity' 20 percent. Among other things there's an emphasis on 'fatigue resistance' at relatively fast speeds - the long intervals are supposed to condition the body and the brain to cope better with high intensity. The method in the book seems mostly based on research ('The Salzburg Study') probing the most efficient ratio between low, moderate and high intensity training. Whether the workouts actually do these findings justice is of course open to debate - certainly a workout that can't be done isn't any good to anyone. There are three 'levels' of the resulting plan, and perhaps part of my issue is I may have chosen the wrong version - although I seem to fit the profile suggested for the Level 3 version.
    I failed to ask what was the recovery on those?

Three minutes at zone 1 HR - i.e. walk/jog recovery. I walked until the HR got down to zone 1 then slow jog the rest.

Thanks all for the comments and the feedback, which are very welcome. Interestingly there's another version of that workout on the schedule for tomorrow - I will be scaling that back also!

[QUOTE=Murph_D;110154573

[Edit: yes, the book is Matt Fitzgerald's '80/20 Running' (byline 'Run stronger and race faster by training slower' - which represents the 80 percent bit pretty well but not the 20).] :p

Well it doesn't go against Fitzgerald's theory, I presume! I suppose one of the differences about this plan is the structure of that 'moderate/high intensity' 20 percent. Among other things there's an emphasis on 'fatigue resistance' at relatively fast speeds - the long intervals are supposed to condition the body and the brain to cope better with high intensity. The method in the book seems mostly based on research ('The Salzburg Study') probing the most efficient ratio between low, moderate and high intensity training. Whether the workouts actually do these findings justice is of course open to debate - certainly a workout that can't be done isn't any good to anyone. There are three 'levels' of the resulting plan, and perhaps part of my issue is I may have chosen the wrong version - although I seem to fit the profile suggested for the Level 3 version.

Thanks all for the comments and the feedback, which are very welcome. Interestingly there's another version of that workout on the schedule for tomorrow - I will be scaling that back also![/QUOTE]

:) I should also remember that my plan has been modified to suit me, my husband is doing the same type of training during his session he did the same 1.5 mins vo2 max . looking back at his plan he has done 5 mins @ zone 4
    I look forward to hearing how that session went :)

Baby75 wrote: »
    :) I should also remember that my plan has been modified to suit me, my husband is doing the same type of training during his session he did the same 1.5 mins vo2 max . looking back at his plan he has done 5 mins @ zone 4
    I look forward to hearing how that session went :)

Good stuff. And how are both of you finding it so far?

Week 8 of 9 cont.

Second half of another 8-day week. As because it started on a Tuesday, I’m becoming a bit disoriented trying to remember what day it is. :pac:

Fri 10 May

50 mins recovery

The plan called for a 45 min ’foundation’ Zone 2 (easy) run, but I was feeling very tired and opted for Zone 1 (recovery) instead.

Sat 11 May

Long interval session: 4x5 mins @ VO2 (with extended cooldown)

The plan called for 6 reps. Maybe it’s self-defeating, but I went into this with the knowledge that I could only manage 4 of these last week before deteriorating to plug-pulling point, so I was prepared to take the same approach this week, unless things felt radically different. Rolled out of bed and straight down to Fairview Park, where I would just have enough time to hop into the parkrun after the 4 reps/recoveries. Around the big pitch again - I started a little fast and it soon felt awfully difficult. Didn’t get anywhere near the kind of pace I should be hitting for this - although I realise the watch isn’t very accurate for this kind of session/location, the indicated splits were nowhere near the 3:51-3:58/k pace that McMillan says a recent 20:18 5k runner should be doing. Maybe I’m not trying hard enough, or maybe I was spooked by the difficulty of the previous sessions. Is it still a good workout? Can’t have done me any harm anyway, except possibly psychologically. On the other hand, I’m confident that if this was on a running track, where I would normally do this kind of session, the numbers would be a bit prettier.

Splits (pace):
    4:12 4:14 4:19 4:25

Three minute walk/jog recoveries. Fourth rep didn’t feel dramatically slower than the first, but definitely quitting time at that point. Shorter reps and/or longer recoveries might have made a difference. This just feels like too much at the moment. Tipped around the parkrun at recovery pace then, feeling quite bonked, should’t have bothered with that either.

Sun 12May

43 mins recovery on the seafront, turning at Easter Island. ;) Lower back giving a little trouble, but manageable, I think. (Felt it go a little during yesterday’s session.)

Mon 13 May

Cross train: gym (60 mins)

Fewer people around this time, so got to do the circuit in my preferred order, alternately working on upper and lower body with some core stuff at the end. Careful with the back.

Tue 14 May

Time for the scheduled ‘Sunday’ run - FF6: 40 mins easy then 15 mins at LT. The back feeling better today but still a bit wary of it and glad to get through this without any trouble. Felt great during the 15 min tempo section from Dollymount to Fairview, and knocked a few seconds off the strava ‘segment PB’ I’d managed last week. Not that that counts for anything, of course. ;) A good run to end the long week.

Week 8 stats:
    Total: Running 376m + gym 120m = 496 mins
    Easy: 409 mins (82%)
    Moderate/Hard: 87 mins (18%)

This week’s target was 79/21 - looks like my 8-day week, and the odd extended recovery etc. is throwing the 80/20 ratio a little out of whack! One week to go... No idea how it's going to work out.

WTD: 12k (7m)
    MTD: 126 (79)
    YTD: 1,087 (676)

Good stuff. And how are both of you finding it so far?

I am really enjoying it and feel stronger I am looking forward to seeing how I do in June at the waterford viking HM compared to my last one.

But hubby has done really well, I used to be about 5 mins behind him running not any more :D even a side from being out of action because of injury he is flying now it was one of the reasons I asked our coach could I do similar training.

• Advertisement

Fitzgerald 80/20 5k: Week 9 of 9

Final week before Tuesday's Bob Heffernan. From experience, I benefit more from an easy week leading up to the race, so I’ll drop down to Level 2 of the plan for the final few days - not a huge difference, but slightly easier workouts and slightly shorter easy runs.

Wed 15 May

Rest day!

Thu 16 May

Long intervals session - 4 x 3 mins @ VO2 (2 mins recovery)

With the grass track at Trinity up and running, I thought I’d get this session done there, but there was a cricket match in progress so I had to jog down to Ringsend Park and its pitches instead. If I thought these shorter reps would feel any easier than the 5-min versions, I was wrong. Found this very difficult. OK it was a warm day, a slow surface, and I started a little quickly again, but the recoveries felt insufficient and I was gasping by the end of each rep. Awful. Deliberately took the third interval a bit easier to manage the fourth. So much easier to do this kind of workout in a group, but I’ll take it as done and checked off.

Splits (avg. pace / max HR)

3:50 (180)
    3:54 (178)
    4:12 (188)
    4:07 (185)

No problem getting the HR into Z4 all the same, so a success on that front. :rolleyes:

WTD: 20k (12m)
    MTD: 134 (84)
    YTD: 1,095 (681)

Apologies if I missed this but what's the target for Bob Heffernan?

Apologies if I missed this but what's the target for Bob Heffernan?

Like last year, the 5k phase is a base for the 800m focused 12 weeks that will start soon. The race itself is not a target. My PB is 19:47 and it would be nice to lower that a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

With the grass track at Trinity up and running, I thought I’d get this session done there, but there was a cricket match in progress so I had to jog down to Ringsend Park and its pitches instead.

Ah, I was wondering when they'd open it up again! I work in Trinity so very handy for me........;)

I like Ringsend Park too but sometimes the gps coverage can be dodgy for some reason??

coogy wrote: »
    Ah, I was wondering when they'd open it up again! I work in Trinity so very handy for me........;)

I like Ringsend Park too but sometimes the gps coverage can be dodgy for some reason??

No, never any issues for me in that park.

Week 9 of 9 cont.

Fri 17 May

No running. Drive to Donegal so not a lot of time and a little too late by the time we got there.

Sat 18 May

Tempo run (parkrun #127, 4th finisher in about 21:51)

We are not close to any of the Donegal parkruns - Dungloe is the closest, about an hour away - but we were up early and headed the extra 20 mins to Falcarragh, which takes place in the grounds of an old estate, which has had many lives as a teacher training college, boarding school, Udaras centre, and various other failed ventures. This we learned from Tom, the friendly RD who made a fuss of us and the other visitors. What a lovely run: two laps of the estate on quite narrow forest paths, through a walled garden, around the house and a meadow - super little course with a couple of hills too. Lots of tree cover, so the watch was not measuring very well, but I was surprised to still be well under 22 mins after emerging from the trees and negotiating the road back to the start/finish. Possilbly a little short! Treated it as a tempo run and worked through the field (whenever getting a chance to pass, not always easy in the trees) to fourth place by the end of the longer first lap, and held it there to the end. Tea in the GAA club afterwards. Very friendly group, and it's a pleasure to add this one to the list. (Very well marked out course too - direction arrows at every one of the many turns - even yaboya would have failed to get lost.)

Not quite what the plan had in mind, so I’ll skip tomorrow’s ‘speedplay’ run and keep it easy till Tues.

WTD: 25k (15m)
    MTD: 140 (87)
    YTD: 1,100 (684)

Week 9 cont.

Sun 19 May

53 mins recovery on the local Donegal loop with A. All fine, but back still troubling me - OK when running, but stiff and sore when not. Drive back to Dublin was just about manageable, but had to extract myself from the car very slowly, groaning like an old man. Hopefully it will loosen up over the next couple of days :O

WTD: 33k (21m)
    MTD: 148 (92)
    YTD: 1,109 (689)

Hope the back clears up D for Bob tomorrow evening, run well!!

Week 9 of 9 cont.

Mon 20 May

A few miles on the seafront and a few strides. Feeling clunky, which is often not a bad thing the day before a race.

Tue 21 May

Race day: Bob Heffernan 5k

I hate racing the 5k distance and always have a sense of trepidation beforehand. But I think the Winter League has helped reduce the nerves with the frequency of racing. Got through most of the day without worrying too much. Not a goal race, per se - but one I’ve put in some decent training for, using a different method, and therefore one you’d like to go well. Drove through heavy traffic with Anna, Mark and Paul, having the luxury of an early start and arriving in good time for bib pickup and warmup, handshakes and chats with the large contingent of clubmates, boardsies and other friends and acquaintances.

The 5k is so bloody hard to get right, in my experience, needing the right blend of aggression, realism, speed and endurance. Lined up in the middle of the pack beside misterpaul (P), feeling a bit edgy. After some shenanigans with the lead car, the abandoned balloon gate, and the general crush, it was good to hear the siren, wish each other luck and get moving. I followed P through the early congestion, trying to feel the right pace and not go out too hard like last year. Spotted skyblue (S) and Lazare (C) up ahead and knew they’d be a good guide, as C was targeting sub-20 and S is a conservative starter. I could see he was checking the watch regularly. Great, cos I couldn’t really see mine! The first km beeps at 3:59. Perfect! Never quite got up to S, drew alongside C soon after the turn. He was moving well, and so was I, encouraged by how comfortable the first km had felt - meaning I’m probably in pretty good shape. At the first turn, a couple of clubmates were already flagging and I pushed past - a reminder of the value of starting right. Plenty of bodies around, and when the second km clocked 3:56, I settled in for the hurt, shaking the arms out a bit and reminding myself that I was OK, the training would work, and I had the legs. Back yourself, as DD often advises.

There was a MSB group with one lad obviously pacing the others, and I shamelessly settled in close behind for the ride. C was still nearby, and while I wasn’t looking over the shoulder, I had no doubt P was in the vicinity too. I didn’t see the signs, but the km markers were clearly visible on the road and matched well with the lap beeps on the watch. Glanced at the split on 3k (4:02) - OK, nearly two thirds in and on the pace, feeling it but also feeling confident.

The MSB group is starting to splinter and their leader is doing his best to keep them going. Six minutes more, he shouts. S is up ahead, starting to pull away. C is still in touch, and I can clearly sense the effort he’s making. The endless straight continues, and I’m scanning ahead, eager to see the second turn which will mean just over a km to go. There it is, with its welcome downward grade, and I remember that I mustered up a decent finish last year despite running a bad race. Back yourself! We hit the 4k mark. I don’t bother with the watch as I’m confident Mr. MSB has been doing the job. I look up and notice that P has slipped past unnoticed (no idea when), moving well up the inside. I finally detach from the MSB group - thanks a million, gents - and get on P’s shoulder instead, happy to draft for a while until we cross the humpback bridge with about 500m to do and I push hard for home. Haven’t looked at the watch but when the gantry clock comes into view it’s counting down to 19:50 so I do my best to finish hard, knowing we’re in PB territory. Accelerate through the line, knowing it’s been a good race. Totter into the carpark, grateful for a sip of Singer’s water. Can’t engage in conversation so I lie down for a bit, before going back out to see the missus complete her own race with a strong finish and a suitably green-around-the-gills look.:p

Splits (approx): 3:59 3:56 4:02 4:04 3:39

7 second PB later confirmed. No gyp from the sore back, thankfully. Great to see so many happy customers afterwards. A veritable #PBfest, as Swashbuckler noted on Strava. Perfect night, weather-wise, course-wise, competition-wise, tea and sambo-wise. Hats off to Lazare for a debut sub-20. Especially pleased for FBOT and a terrific PB that’s been a number of years in the making. Well done, M.

M’s performance confirms the benefits of the 9-week 80/20 plan, which we’d both been following, M a bit better than me as I was adjusting around some other events. I’ll be looking more closely at the marathon version of the plan in future, methinks. But will reflect more on this block in a day or two.

Next: Project 800 redux!

Previous PB: 19:47 (St. Anne’s, Dec 2017)
    Target: 19:46
    Result: 19:40
    215th place (of 628)
    11th M55 (of 29)
    VDOT 50.8
    AG: 79.9
    Verdict: 80 out of 20 ;)

WTD: 15k (9m)
    MTD: 163 (101)
    YTD: 1,124 (699)

• Advertisement

Well done D, delighted for you as I knew you weren’t happy with your Bob performance from last year. That’s well and truly put to bed after last night, super last km.

Advertisement