Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

800 redux: Week 7 of 12

This week - entering Phase IV of the 800 cycle. Crunch time. And a mile race at the Day of Irish PBs.

Mon 8 Jul

Rest.

Tue 9 Jul

11.3k @ 5:40

On the Grand Canal, which is becoming one of the staple routes. A bit further than usual, one bridge past Dolphins Barn. One bridge shy of the spot where the route used to branch towards the James’s Gate area. I like running the canals - you can’t help thinking of their 19th Century glory days, and the ingenuity of their design and construction. (Well, I cant anyway.)

Wed 10 Jul

AM: An hour in the gym. Shamed into it by lots of recent S&C talk. Good to be back!

PM: Santry session: 9x400 (c.75s standing recovery)

Graded Meet meant no access to track, so into the Santry Demesne instead. Bumped into Aoife and joined for a warmup lap. Impressed to spot the coach out with the measuring wheel as he laid out the course around the front section of the park. The Group 3 session would be 400s - I assumed at least 10 and was surprised when it was concluded after 8. These were tough, as usual, on the grass, which was a bit slippy after the deluge. But went well. A few were invited to do an extra rep. Not me, but I gatecrashed. ;)

Splits:
    88 88 89 88
    88 89 90 90 88

Cooldown with one of the Daves. Total 8k for the night.

WTD: 19 (12m)
    MTD: 83 (52)
    YTD: 1,516 (942)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck tomorrow D, run well sir!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great mile today D. I guess you can postpone thoughts of any downhill slope. Well done.

Week 7 cont.

Thu 11 Jul

No run. I’d like to say rest day, but the truth is I didn’t make the time.

Fri 12 Jul

AM: 2.8k commute to city centre.
    PM: 6.5k easy

The commute was as always - uncomfortable and too short. But it was the best way to get there this morning. Glad to be able to get out again in the afternoon for a tour of nearby parks and greens.

Sat 13 Jul

9.8k inc. parkrun #136 at St. Anne’s

A few miles around St. Annes with Colm before we continued the leisurely pace during the parkrun, and an equally leisurely coffee or two.

Sun 14 Jul

Race: Day of Irish PBs - 1 mile @ 5:39 (PB)

Despite some recent trepidation, I ran well and recorded a 4-second PB. This is a paced race, but I was in no-man’s land between the 5 and 6-min groups. At the start I made sure to get in front of Dublin Runner (pacing 6) and claim my space. Put myself in the frame for a good result by grinding out two fairly consistent opening laps on my own. From there I just tried to weather the lap 3 lag, aided by some wonderful support from the Raheny + BG crew and a few other generous boardsies. During the final circuit I could focus on trying to reel in a runner who’d fallen way off the 5-minute group. I'd been hearing some footsteps behind and and was passed on the back straight by a runner who ended up not in the results, probably a pacer from an earlier race jumping in for a bit of of extra entertainment. With 200 to go I was hanging on but still moving well and felt I could finish strong. The pass hadn't been convincing and I took the place back easily enough on the home straight, although the flagging runner found a finish too and I didn't quite catch her. The nip and tuck made for a good lap 4, a decent sprint finish to get in under 5:40, and a result I’m very happy with.

Splits:
    1:24
    1:26
    1:28
    1:21

I hope this event continues - the number of participants didn’t seem to reflect the quality of the organisation and the excellent facilities at Le Chéile in Leixlip. I wonder could a nighttime slot take it to another level? Easier said than done, I’m sure. Well done to the organisers.

Previous PB: 5:43 (Raheny Winter League, April 2019)
    Target: 5:40
    Result: 5:39.11
    VDOT: 51.8
    AG: 80.2
    Verdict: A success.

WTD: 45 (28m)
    MTD: 109 (68)
    YTD: 1,543 (959)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Sounds like we were in the same race. I would have said hello if I knew what you looked like ;)

Great run, particularly since you were on your own for most of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Murph_D wrote: »
    On the Grand Canal, which is becoming one of the staple routes. A bit further than usual, one bridge past Dolphins Barn. One bridge shy of the spot where the route used to branch towards the James’s Gate area. I like running the canals - you can’t help thinking of their 19th Century glory days, and the ingenuity of their design and construction. (Well, I cant anyway.)
    Had to laugh at this as I run along there almost daily and don't think I have once had those thoughts! Though maybe I will next time now ;)

Congrats on the PB. Can't have been easy running it on your own like that!

eyrie wrote: »
    Had to laugh at this as I run along there almost daily and don't think I have once had those thoughts! Though maybe I will next time now ;)

Congrats on the PB. Can't have been easy running it on your own like that!

Cheers! Well the next time you're along there, ponder the fact that the canal used to run along St. James' Walk (where the Luas goes now towards the hospital). There's a similar filled in section on the Royal Canal between Mountjoy and Broadstone. :)

Sounds like we were in the same race. I would have said hello if I knew what you looked like ;)

Great run, particularly since you were on your own for most of it.

I'd forgotten to look out for you - that's my clubmate you finished behind and chatted to afterwards. Well run yourself - I'm enjoying your log.

800 redux: Week 8 of 12

Well, the weeks are flying in and now only four weeks from race day. Hmm. I still feel like I’m really only getting started. Maybe the structure of the training is a little loose - but last week’s result suggests things are not too far off the mark so I’ll go with it. This week has the South Dublin 10k at the end of it, which will be a session, not a race.

Mon 15 Jul

11k recovery in Donegal. Forgot the watch, so most of this week’s runs will be tech-free. Legs a little creaky after the weekend’s effort, but no issues of note.

Tue 16 Jul

8k easy, again on the local loop. Very warm this week so far. Brief stop to allow some sheep to be herded across the road.

Wed 18 Jul

Session: 4 sets 4x200 (about 45 secs recovery, a few mins between sets)

I think this was my first ever totally watch-free session. I set out along the usual 5m loop, with a goal to do at least two sets of 200s, possibly three. It was easier to do than expected - just run very hard for 120 paces and then have a little rest! Managed four sets in the end. Some were more like hill sprints, given the topography, but nothing wrong with that. 8.5k total (I think). :)

Thu 18 Jul

Didn't get out.

Fri 19 Jul

8.3k recovery.

Joined Anna for a scenic run out St. John’s Point, a local beauty spot. Spectacular morning. There’s an excellent 10k race on this route next month but sadly we’ll miss it this year.

Sat 20 Jul

11.2k recovery

Back in Dublin. A slow jog out over the wooden bridge and back. Very humid.

Sun 21 Jul

South Dublin 10k @ MP

First time doing this rerouted version of the Race Series staple. Really enjoyed the change of scenery in the Clondalkin environs, some of it quite familiar from a few visits to Corkagh parkrun. Was chatting to some of the Sanctuary Runners group beforehand, so lined up quite far back. The aim was to have a decent MP effort - not totally incompatible with the 800m schedule as there are a few MP sessions on the menu, none of which I’ve chosen to do so far. Picked my way through the early congestion and came across aquinn after 10 mins or so. As her pace seemed compatible I asked did she want some company, and we ran the rest of the route together. As I think I’ve mentioned before, I always feel a bit of a cheat if I do a session during a race, because the atmosphere and presence of many other runners makes it feel much easier, but even so I was very happy with how totally comfortable this felt all the way through, Hopefully this bodes well for the transition to M training after the current focus. A was naturally less comfortable but put in a very decent shift too. The 10 kilometres seemed to be over in a flash, and I really enjoyed the route, the atmosphere, the organisation and the company. A very quick hello to chickey, Paul, Olwyn, a few other boardsies and clubmates before having to rush off. Great to be back at a Race Series event.

A decent enough week, if a little short again at 37 miles.

WTD: 60 (37m)
    MTD: 169 (105)
    YTD: 1,602 (996)

Apologies about the mean shout out, was looking forward to having a chat but as you know had to make a speedy return to Tang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Seems like a good week, with plenty of hill work and a 10k MP session included. Sorry I missed you going through the finish.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Apologies about the mean shout out, was looking forward to having a chat but as you know had to make a speedy return to Tang.

No bother, Barry, had to rush off myself also. There's no such thing as a 'mean shout out' - it was noted and appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

OOnegative wrote: »

Out of all the people to be "mean" to I can't believe you picked D. Shame on you:mad::P

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Out of all the people to be "mean" to I can't believe you picked D. Shame on you:mad::P

You get back to your golf with Ferris.....

800 redux: Week 9 of 12

With four weeks to go, the focus will be on getting in as many quality sessions as is reasonable. Don’t think there’s much need for any more track racing, although a final tune-up 800 (if I can find one) might be useful.

Mon 22 Jul

9.1k recovery @ 5:54

A few miles on the seafront, including the 1000th of the year. Fully 15 days later than last year, although the focus has been quite similar. Must be unconsciously shortening my runs!

Tue 23 Jul

11k easy @ 5:19

Evening run through the oil terminals and assorted container yards of Dublin Port, pausing at the end to admire the Wooden Bridge, Dollymount and Clontarf across the water. A rare enough vantage point. Very muggy - I don’t sweat a huge amount but got plenty going toniight.

Wed 24 Jul

Session: 4x1600 @ T, 6x200 @ R

After a hectic morning of conference duty and meetings, I was delighted to get away at lunchtime. I headed over to Irishtown as I find this sort of session to be soul-destroying on the road, preferring the fixed distances available on the track. Another sweltering afternoon, of course, and I made sure to have a bottle of water, mostly to throw over my head and rinse my mouth between reps. I didn’t read the instructions closely and couldn’t remember whether the 1600 recoveries should be 2 or 3 mins. I opted for 2:30, then switched to 3:00, and added a further 30 secs to the third. Turns out it was supposed to be 2:00 (naturally), but I don’t mind taking the extra, given my vintage and the muggy conditions. Opted for 45s standing recovery for the 200s. Target 6:40-6:50 (1600), 41s for the 200s.

Splits:
    6:40 6:41 6:41 6:51
    40 42 40 41 41 38

I’ll take that in the conditions - felt tough but under control. Fell asleep on lap three of the final 1600 and lost a good bit of time. Bunched after the 1600s and took three mins before going straight into the 200s. Found I could hit the pace without too much trouble, but I wouldn’t have been able to do too many more reps. Tried to treat the final one like the last 200 of a race. Had a short lie down on the grass, before jogging back to the office.

WTD: 34 (21m)
    MTD: 202 (126)
    YTD: 1,636 (1,017)

Week 9 cont.

Thu 25 Jul

8.4k @ 6:03 recovery on the seafront.

Fri 26 Jul

6.8k @ 6:02

Another very humid lunchtime outing on the Grand Canal and environs. One of those tired plods where you’re slowing down approaching the pedestrian crossings, hoping the light will turn red. :o

Sat 27 Jul

7.7k including St. Anne’s parkrun @ MP (23:49)

Raheny Shamrock ‘takeover’ of St. Anne’s. I relinquished my regular pacing slot to make way for a couple of clubmates. Joined Ferris for a couple of miles then an MP (for me, anyway) parkrun. The chats made it feel a little harder but an enjoyable morning.

Sun 28 Jul

Session: 600 FR, 3x300 FR, 3x200 R

I remember doing this session and a couple of variations last year, mostly in Donegal, and was a little wary as a result as I found it nigh-on impossible at the time. FR equates to 800m pace, which would at least make the 200s (at mere mile pace) feel relatively easy.

Considered sticking to Fairview Park but as I would be letting the watch measure the rep distance I opted for the seafront instead, where the measure would be more accurate with no tree cover to contend with. 20 mins warmup, then another couple of mins delaying the inevitable, then got on with it.

Starting with the 600 (target 1:53) really knocks it out of you. Only 600m jog recovery before the 300s (target :57), with a relatively generous 500m to recover. Then the 200s (:41) (off 200 rec). It was tough but I found I could just about get through it, although I walked the first bit of each recovery (having stopped completely for a moment to catch breath after the 600 and 300s).

Splits:

1:53
    57 58 60
    41 44 45

Happy with this under the circumstances. The 200s look slow, but a couple of reps felt a bit long, so I’ll cling to that. Looking back at last year's effort it compares favourably - not surprisingly, as it was also flatter. :) I'll take it.

WTD: 67 (41m)
    MTD: 235 (146)
    YTD: 1,669 (1,037)

800 redux: Week 10 of 12

Lactate testing this week. Will be interesting to see whether anything has changed since last tested in 2016. I haven’t adjusted training paces much in that time, as PB improvements have been minimal, apart from the 800m/mile stuff, which I assume is not limited by LT to the same extent.

Mon 29 Jul

10k easy on the seafront with M and C. I’d felt it was a cooler day today, but it had turned quite humid again by teatime when I got out for this.

Tue 30 Jul

Stict instructions for a pre-test rest day. No gym allowed either!

Wed 31 Jul

Lactate threshold test (10k total inc WU and CD).

Joined Mark and Colm at Irishtown Stadium to be tested by Emmett Dunleavy of perfectpacing.com. It involves running progressively faster 1200m reps, with a pinprick blood test at the end of each rep to measure lactate buildup. The final rep (for me) was 1600 at my 5k pace (6:40), at which point the pinprick determined I was past the threshold. C and M managed to get down to faster paces, unsurprisingly. I was given a bonus 15s sprint test because of my recent concentration on speedwork, which was fun. (This was later branded the 'pat-on-the-bum test' over breakfast by M and C).

Look forward to getting the results and comparing to the last test, almost exactly 3 years ago - I don’t expect to have changed too much in that period, which has been fairly consistent and thankfully injury free. A few laps to cooldown and then we repaired to the caff across the road for the full Irish. And that’s a wrap for July.

WTD: 20 (12m)
    MTD: 256 (159)
    YTD: 1,689 (1,050)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Is Emmett going to be coaching you too? Or did you just use his services for the lactate threshold testing?

Is Emmett going to be coaching you too? Or did you just use his services for the lactate threshold testing?

Just the test for now!

Week 10 cont.

Thu 1 Aug

8.4k @ 5:53: easy on the Dodder and D4 environs. College Park still closed. Hamstring a bit tight after yesterday - probably the 15-sec all-out effort.

Fri 2 Aug

10k @ 5:28

Seafront easy before dinner. Strapped the hamstring, still a bit tender.

Sat 3 Aug

11.6k inc. easy parkrun at Poppintree.

Jogged up to Poopintree, bumping into my neighbour, a sub-3:30 marathon runner herself but I’ve never run with her before. Talk of injury woes and the definition of sensible training. Hooked up with Anna, Aoife and Paul, and a host of Sanctuary Runners, recently relocated from city centre to St. Margarets. Very warm welcome from the Poppintree crew. Below-the-radar 100th parkrun for Anna.

Sun 4 Aug

6.2k easy

In Longford for a wedding, so just jogged back to the venue from our Ballymahon ‘hotel’ to retrieve the car. Warm and sticky. Should really be doing a session today but the hamstring is not settled down enough yet.

WTD: 56 (35m)
    MTD: 36 (22)
    YTD: 1,725 (1,072)

What else? After a bit of confusion, I finally got to grips with the results of the LT test. LT has deteriorated a little (about 5 secs/km) since last tested, probably due to the lack of marathon specific training over the past couple of years, so not unexpected - Training paces will change a little, and it looks like DCM will not be a PB effort.

Hamstring is a bit of a concern with two weeks to go to the National Masters, which I officially entered during the week. Really could do with some good sessions this week but it may be too risky. Play by ear, etc…

• Advertisement

800 redux? Week 11 of 12

The hamstring niggle continues and it hasn’t been much of a week so far.

Mon 5 Aug

10.5k easy around St. Anne’s with C, followed by coffee.

Tue 6 Aug

No running. Collected my new Decathlon trail shorts, frustratingly sitting in the An Post parcel depot all weekend. We live on the same street as the sorting office and I’m convinced they don’t even attempt delivery half the time, just drop in the collection docket. Anyway, they look pretty decent, as do the pockets, so fair play to BeepBeep for the tip!

Wed 7 Aug

6.7k very easy around the Docklands, trying to spot the boys among the many other small kids in identical wetsuits and helmets at the Surfdock camp. Failed! Apart from that the run felt like a waste of time. Later I headed over to Tallaght to have a gander at the graded meet. Witnessed Laura’s mile PB - well done - and in the same race a world record F55 performance by Anne Gilshinan of Slaney AC. Spotted BeepBeep also putting in what looked like a decent shift in one of the men’s races.

Thu 8 Aug Jul

No running. Booked physio appointment.

Fri 9 Aug

Physio visit - slight hamstring strain and tightness. Nothing too drastic but can’t really do anything more than easy jog until it recovers. Given stretching routine and told to be religious about it. She gave the hamstring a fairly painful rubdown and it felt a little better afterwards but it needs a bit of time.

Sat 10 Aug

Very gentle 5k at St. Anne’s parkrun.

With nothing except easy jogs over the past 10 days, and only 8 days before the Masters, and the niggle still niggling, it may be time to accept that my track season, such as it was, is prematurely over.

WTD: 22 (14m)
    MTD: 58 (36)
    YTD: 1,747 (1,086)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Ah I'm sorry to hear that. It's good it's not a major injury but still annoying timing so close to the Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

With nothing except easy jogs over the past 10 days, and only 8 days before the Masters, and the niggle still niggling, it may be time to accept that my track season, such as it was, is prematurely over.

What a pain. And you with pretty much all the training done.

Speaking of which, if your hammie is tip top on Sunday morning will you go and race? The training is in the bag after all. Have you entered?

Mulberry wrote: »
    What a pain. And you with pretty much all the training done.

Speaking of which, if your hammie is tip top on Sunday morning will you go and race? The training is in the bag after all. Have you entered?

I've entered but won't be doing it - wrote it off during the week. How about yourself - all good?

Way behind here, only realised from Strava that the Nats didn’t happen! Sorry to hear that D.

Week 12 of 12 (race abandoned)

I wasn’t too hopeful of making the National Masters at the weekend, but decided to make a decision midweek. The hamstring is more a sprain than a pull, and easy running is possible without too much discomfort. Not much confidence though that anything faster would be possible without making things worse.

Sun 11 Aug

No running.

Mon 12 Aug

8.6k @ 6:20

Recovery pace jog around the local loop in Donegal. Again, not much discomfort, but an escalation of the dull soreness afterwards. Trying to be reasonably methodical about the stretching and core exercises too, but in truth this is something I will have to be more disciplined about.

Tue 13 Aug - Wed 14 Aug

No running. A bit of hedge clipping, grass cutting and trimming.

Thu 15 Aug

8.1k @ 5:49

A few easy miles on beach and around the Inver area of South Donegal. The leg was feeling OK after a couple of days rest, but felt increasingly tender during the run. So that was that - won’t be going to Tullamore on Sunday.

Fri 16 Aug

No running. More garden work and drive back to Dublin. Entered the Griffith Avenue Mile, which looks like an interesting addition to the calendar (and is just up the road).

Sat 17 Aug

9.3k inc River Valley parkrun @ MP (23:40)

A trip up to Swords to add another parkrun to the list. Delighted to finally enjoy the environs of River Valley, a fine park indeed. Spotted Singer up ahead just as we were sent off. Ran most of the course a few places behind as my marathon pace wasn’t fast enough to close the gap and I didn’t want to risk anything more strenuous. Enjoyed this, although I was a bit nervous on the downhill section. The notorious hill is quite a showstopper alright - glad I wasn’t racing! My 23:40 was good enough for 11th finisher / 2nd M55. Caught up with B afterwards for a cooldown lap where he pointed out a few of the local sights. Very enjoyable morning.

Sun 18 Aug

10.7k easy

Over to St. Anne’s to join M for part of his LR. We bumped into P, a former Cru clubmate, who joined us. Good chats, and I left them to it after 10k and headed back for breakfast at the Stables. Joined by M, C and G for some mutual injury commiserations. We’re nearly all crocked at the moment, DNS seems to be cursed. Will take a few days off now.

WTD: 37 (23m)
    MTD: 95 (59)
    YTD: 1,784 (1,109)

Although I didn’t set any specific goals for 2019, today’s 800m was always going to be the major focus. It’s been over six years since I’ve last had to abandon a race I’d specifically been training for. That’s a good innings, so while it's frustrating to miss out this week, I have to accept that these setbacks are all part of the process.

I have the consolation of a good 5k block and PB as part of the prep, and at least the track sessions brought a mile PB at Leixlip last month. With my general avoidance of S&C work, 800m training is always a bit risky. Ironically I probably did one of the best sessions ever - including 600m at 800m pace (don’t think I managed that successfully last year) - a few days before being waylaid. It’s doubly ironic to have picked up the niggle during an LT test, but it probably would have happened at the following session of 200m race-pace reps anyway, as I’d started to feel the hamstring a bit over the previous couple of weeks. So I’ll accept it and move on. Was going to park the track racing for a while after this year anyway - Chicago 2020 beckons.

Next week - mostly rest/rehab and we’ll see if a MP (or slower) Frank Duffy might be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Sorry to hear about the DNS, you seem to have the right attitude anyway. Hopefully see you next week at the 10 Miler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sorry you had to pull out of the race. Glad you can keep running though.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

I've entered but won't be doing it - wrote it off during the week. How about yourself - all good?

Banjaxed all year. Physio seems confident I'll be fixed in time for the start of Indoor training in October so fingers crossed. I've been doing some easy miles to stave off the fat gain, although that's not working out very well! In the process I've also realised I do prefer sprint training / racing. I'd been wondering if I made the right choice (in terms of the fun aspect) and after a brief interlude road running I think I can say I have. Anyway, no racing all year makes Mulberry a dull girl so roll on the Indoors!

I'll be sorry to see you going back to marathon training, there's not enough track around these parts! Best of luck though with your goals.

• Advertisement

Thanks R - All the best with the rehab. I hear you about the training type - I personally enjoy both types but the injury risk seems much higher with track work. I won’t hang up the spikes completely but for the next while at least any track race will be for fun. Might resume for my M60 years (not that far off, sadly)!

Advertisement