Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Best of luck D. I'll see you in the morning and hopefully for a celebratory beer in McGrattans afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

ariana` wrote: »
    Good luck on Sunday D!
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Good luck D.
    Singer wrote: »
    Cya in the pub! Oh and hope the run to the pub goes well :)
    diego_b wrote: »
    Best of luck Denis!
    Best of luck. Looking forward to the report.
    Best of luck on Sunday D.
    All the best D. Run well
    coogy wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow D!! Might see you around after?
    Best of luck D. I'll see you in the morning and hopefully for a celebratory beer in McGrattans afterwards.

Thanks all. Good luck yourselves (those of you who are running) and see ye afterwards hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

The very best of luck tomorrow D. Enjoy!

jake1970 wrote: »
    The very best of luck tomorrow D. Enjoy!

Thanks L - are you running yourself? I've lost touch with your activities...

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow!

Thanks Mr. G - hope to get to meet you in the pub tomorrow. Well done with the novices, sterling work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Best of luck tomorrow. Hopefully that 800m speed you've built up will come in handy for the sprint finish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Murph_D wrote: »
    Thanks L - are you running yourself? I've touch with your activities...

Unfortunatey not D, lack of motivation all year followed by injury meant that DCM was never on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

All the best tomorrow D, hope it goes well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

All the best today D and A too .

• Advertisement

Marathon week (cont.)

Thu 24 Oct

Rest.

Fri 25 Oct

Easy 8k @ 5:33

A circuit of St. Anne’s with FBOT.

Sat 26 Oct

Easy 5k @ 5:36

Pacing 28 mins at St. Anne’s parkrun.

Sun 27 Oct

Dublin Marathon - 42.2k @ 4:57

Report to follow.

WTD 76 km (47 mi)
    MTD: 301 (187)
    YTD: 2,504 (1,556)

Dublin Marathon 2019 (3:29:07)

Two days later, there is one overwhelming memory from this race: the meaning of the Raheny vest. All over the course, even in the most sparsely populated reaches of the 42.2 kms, the support for the club is immeasurable. It’s truly humbling. That it’s a club with such a great marathon tradition makes this even better. No matter how tiny your place in the scheme of things, you get the feeling that you, and all of your clubmates, whether running, supporting or volunteering, are contributing to that tradition, and that your contribution is valued. It’s very special. A privilege, plain and simple.

What else of this marathon, my 12th?

As I’ve mentioned here more than once, I was coming in a little undercooked. Base mileage has been decent enough the past few years, but a concentration on the track and shorter distances has eaten away at my endurance for long road events. This marathon was being done off only seven or eight weeks of specific training, cobbled together from a couple of sources. Based on a recent LT test, I’d faced reality and set a 3:30 target, 10 mins slower than the (never achieved) 3:20 goal of the past five outings. On the plus side, I’d managed three 20-mile long runs, and plenty of marathon pace work, a good bit of it during Race Series events. To be honest, the 5:00/k MP felt very comfortable and was possibly - LT testing aside - a little conservative. But I trusted the numbers and got on with it. The hamstring strain I’d picked up in August - and which wrote off the track season prematurely - niggled away at me over the ensuing weeks. But with no speedwork, the niggle always felt manageable. Finally, about 10 days before the race, I stopped feeling it. So on race day, I’m in pretty good shape and ready to execute what will hopefully be a first negative split marathon (pacing gigs aside).

Aquinn and mister paul generously offer a lift into town. We jump out on Pearse St and walk over to the Clare St. area, waiting a few minutes behind the mysteriously still-closed barriers. A quick chat with Duanington and another clubmate, then we’re in and moving towards the bag drop. Photo op with some Sanctuary Runners, then I kiss A goodbye, wish P luck and head around to the Wave One start. The toilet queues are long but the elite barriers are down at Fitzwilliam Square and I join the sizeable group of lads watering the foliage through the park railings. With the pre-race necessities out of the way, I say hello to one or two acquaintances and just stand as serenely as possible in the crowd, waiting for the start, discarding the first of my throwaway layers seconds before the gun.

The first 10k

It’s as relaxed I’ve felt in many a marathon and I have no worries at all about the slow start. By Patrick St., enough room has opened up to run comfortably, and I just settle in around 5:00/km (8:00/mi) pace, which I hope to maintain as far as Tower Road. Terrific atmosphere and I’m feeling fantastic already – the pace couldn’t feel any more comfortable. My final throwaway top is lobbed to a couple of kids on Kevin St, a mile in. Supposed to spot my sister in Stoneybatter but she’s not there yet. Avoid the water station and in no time we’re in the park. Shouts from Skyblue and a few others. Gel One on Chesterfield (I think) – goes down well without water. At the Phoenix monument, there’s aquinn and Bungy Girl, and I throw my hat and gloves. Out the gate and over the 10k mat in 50:20. Pace locked in and feeling solid.

The second half of the first half

I enjoy Castleknock, but don’t spot my local butcher, who is usually around here somewhere in the crowd. The Raheny shouts haven’t let up since the start though, and I try to acknowledge them all with a thumbs up. I’ve run this part of the course recently and I enjoy the downhill, content now to up the pace a tiny bit as I’m warmed up and in the zone. I’m not paying a lot of attention to the watch but the average pace starts to come down on the favourable terrain, down Glen Road and out onto the Chapelizod Road. Gel two. Arm warmers thrown to some club supporters just outside the park. Through the village and I don’t spot my mate B, who didn’t see me either (probably really stayed in bed). We’re past ten miles now and this is when it usually starts to get noticeable. I still feel great but remind myself we are now in the critical middle third of the race. The kms keep clicking off in the 4:40-55 range. I back way off the pace at the underpass. I must have zoned out here because I can’t remember Inchicore at all. Kilmainham, SCR, Dolphins Barn – it all melds into a kind of hazy dream. The 20k mat (that’s new since last time out) in 1:39:09, halfway in 1:44:17 (although I don’t note this at the time and just kind of assume it’s closer to 1:45. It’s the easiest half I’ve ever done. Gel three.

Out to Milltown

There’s a noticeable bit of headwind on Crumlin Road and I try to shelter behind a couple of lads. I’m not really in a group, but there are some Carrick Aces in the vicinity who seem to be on the right pace. They are very relaxed and I try to channel their chilled nature. Walkinstown is reached and the kms keep clicking off in the low 4:50s. I’m kind of amazed at how quickly things are progressing. Miss my brother-in-law and the boys on Kimmage Road. Gel four (caffeine). Now we’re on the Terenure 5 course, feeling better than I ever did during that race anyway. Miss my aunt at Bushy Park (this is becoming a bit predictable); she swears she was there in her papal chair but didn’t see me either. Lovely running to Rathgar, and over the 30k mat in 2:28:23

Clonskeagh and the road home

OK, it’s a long time since I’ve gotten this far feeling so good. I pop a fifth gel somewhere on Clonskeagh Road. They’ve gone down well enough, usually with a little water soon after. I’ve not taken more than a few sips at every second water stop. The weather is still fantastic and I simply don’t feel the need. I run the line through Clonskeagh Road, passing a clubmate in the process and offering a few words. I don’t know him, but he looks hosed and can barely reciprocate the gesture. Another clubmate is ahead and I pass him too as he steps off to walk through a water station. I’ve kind of expected this to be part of the process during the final third, because a few of the lads tend to hammer the long runs a bit hard. I back off the pace a little up the long drag and Roebuck is offered the same respect. This time it feels like a bump – for the first time this stretch has failed to finish off my marathon pace. I crest the top and turn onto Fosters, settling first back into normal pace, then finding myself able to pick it up a little. The field is now coming back to meet me and I go by another clubmate, again with mutual encouragement. And through all this the support for the vest is continuous. You never go more than a minute or two without some sort of shout. (If you’re not in a club, consider the value of this.)

‘A parkrun to go’

I’ve run the end of the course recently and it helps. It’s only 5k from the Stillorgan Road pedestrian bridge. Over the flyover and soon it’s Nutley, and all of a sudden an overwhelming queasiness descends. What’s this? Maybe just a bit of wind? I start to heave and realise I’m not going to run this one off. Down on all fours and I throw up the remains of the most recent gel, along with a little water. I’ve dry retched many times, but a wet one is new territory. As I’m down there, I start to panic. Is this it? Have I just blown what’s been feeling like the perfect marathon? What do I do now? Someone offers some encouragement as they pass, and I gingerly get to my feet. I’ve probably only lost about 20 seconds, but it feels like more. I start to jog and immediately realise I feel completely normal again, better even, and can pick the pace up again. And so Merrion Road – often a death march for me – feels better than ever. Some nice shade here. A shout from PB, one of the club coaches. Emmet D of the aforementioned LT test also offers some encouragement. It’s now a blur. There are more clubmates in the vicinity and our shouted names are echoing around my head. It’s incredible. Dick Hooper – as you know a three time winner of this race, clenches a fist and roars me on, another special moment. I pretty much float home from there, covering km 42 in 4:49, and then the final 470m by the watch at 4:18 pace, undoubtedly the best marathon finish I’ve ever mustered. Helenanne is on a traffic island in Ballsbridge. Somewhere around here too, I spot denis b in the crowd and he gets the last high five of the day (I’d humoured a few kids earlier). From the Schoolhouse up Mount Street to the finish is deafening. As the clock looms, I’m actually surprised to see it tick over 3:29, so strong have I felt throughout. On the blue carpet, I rustle up a final sprint and take another singlet or two. Over the line, 3:29:07.

After

Right away, an immediately wave of nausea and I have to walk to the side and get down and expel some more gelatinous gloop. A bit embarrassing, but what can you do? As I get up a kindly steward checks me and, satisfied I’ll live, encourages me to keep moving. Handshakes and congrats to a few fellow competitors, a check on another unsteady clubmate, and I enjoy the slow walk around to the bag drop with yet another clubmate. By the time I get to Flye Fit for a shower, I’m feeling pretty decent again. Ferris, who started 20 mins behind me, bounces in before I’ve even got my shoes off. Super day for him. I bump into yaboya in time to haul him back into McGrattan’s for a few celebratory beverages. Before long, I realise my first ever negative split was in fact 33 seconds positive. No matter. I head back out after a while to meet the mrs, who had a challenging enough day but glad to finish in one piece after a rickety enough build-up. Back for a few more drinks - a memorable afternoon with many boardsies new and old. Great to meet a few more of ye, well done to all.

Previous PB: 3:22:11 (Dublin 2017)
    Target: 3:28:00
    Result: 3:29:07
    2,866 place (of 17,937)
    70th M55 (of 579)
    Age grade: 70.5%
    VDOT: 44.8
    Verdict: Got a light?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Excellently written & a great read as always D. Well done on Sunday, great performance off limited specific training. What’s next? I know you mentioned Hamburg previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Great running D. There must be nothing better than running strong at the end of a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Thanks for the report D and lots of very useful info to be taken on board for the reader. More than a few questions in the report too, but that's for another day. Congratulations on a superb, or dare I say sublime, run - bar the barfing:) though one probably comes with the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That's a great read - seems like a very satisfactory result too given the focus of your recent training. I found your thoughts on the club, and the vest, particularly interesting. Great to meet you after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

And through all this the support for the vest is continuous. You never go more than a minute or two without some sort of shout. (If you’re not in a club, consider the value of this.)

I shall certainly give this some serious consideration in the new year!!!

Great report D, you were in complete control from start to finish. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Great report as ever, well done and well paced...even time for a puke!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Another well executed Marathon and very well scripted report.

Congrats & well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Great running D.....I wouldn't discount the possibility of a negative split. The halfway timing mat was definitely off, mine by about 25 seconds. Everyone I checked mysteriously speeded up in those 1.1k between the 20k and Half timing mats, even a chap who I know detonated about 12 miles in....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

healy1835 wrote: »
    Great running D.....I wouldn't discount the possibility of a negative split. The halfway timing mat was definitely off, mine by about 25 seconds. Everyone I checked mysteriously speeded up in those 1.1k between the 20k and Half timing mats, even a chap who I know detonated about 12 miles in....

Yeh, I saw the same on the course and in the timings. Happy negative split D! :)

Super report, sounds as enjoyable as a marathon can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Really loved that report. Mystified how you can throw up at that stage and then carry on feeling better!! Congrats on a great race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats D on a great race and great report. that sounds like the way a marathon should be run, except for the 20 second kip:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Really enjoyed reading that - super report. Congratulations on a very well run race! Lovely to hear about such a positive experience (puke notwithstanding ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great report as always D.

Considering you were, as you say, undercooked, it seems to have been so easy, apart from the last 5k and immediate aftermath. Best of luck with Chicago 2020.

Thanks all, for the above. Post-Marathon, no aches and pains after the first day or two. I’ve no doubt there was a bit more in the tank on the day, but no regrets. Stuck to the plan.

Mon 28 Oct - Fri 1 Nov

No running. Entered Chicago with GFA.

Oct total: 301 kms (187 mi)

Sat 2 Nov

5k easy at St. Anne’s parkrun (24:48)

Sun 3 Nov

9k @ 5:47

Easy on the seafront. A bit laboured but good to be out.

Chicago acceptance confirmed. But first, Donadea!

WTD 14 km (9 mi)
    MTD: 14 (9)
    YTD: 2,518 (1,565)

Chicago, jealous as fcuk D!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Chicago, jealous as fcuk D!!!

Join us. Sure everyone else seems to be. ;)

Join us. Sure everyone else seems to be. ;)

Don’t have the money for a divorce settlement i’m afraid!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Chicago! Deadly. Congrats

Advertisement