Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The only goal this week was to run as little as possible.

Mon 4 - Sat 9 Nov

No running.

Sun 10 Nov

Remembrance Run 5k (29:30)

A big Sanctuary Runners gathering at this event in the Phoenix Park. I ended up running it with one of our boys. He was chuffed with his sub-30 time, a first for him. Great set of splits too, starting slow with a 7 min km before finishing with a 4:59. I was trailing in his wake by the end. What a huge event this is - was taken aback by the size of the crowd, especially at this time of year. The various waves were sent on their way by official starter Ronnie Delany, looking great at 84. A lot of people to squeeze into the Chesterfield/Furry Glen/Furze Road loop, but not a day for complaining about congestion.

WTD: 5k (3m)
    MTD: 19 (12)
    YTD: 2,523 (1,568)

This week: easing back into it, and a race. :eek:

Mon 11 Nov

8.8k easy @ 5:32.

Dropped the lad to GAA, then headed for a loop of Clontarf seafront returning via the inland route.

Tue 12 Nov

No running.

Wed 13 Nov

Cross training - gym (1 hr).

The weather was truly awful, so perfect opportunity to reintroduce myself to the gym. Will be trying to get in at least one session per week, maybe two, over next few months.

Thu 14 Nov

7.4k easy on the treadmill during the monsoon.

Fri 15 Nov

3 x 1k @ tempo (1k rec).

Was in North Kildare for a funeral, so dropped over to Donadea on way back for a lunchtime session. The park was very peaceful and very beautiful in peak autumnal mode. Alternated easy/tempo for a lap, then another lap for luck. Total 11.3k.

Sat 16 Nov

Poppintree parkrun @ Rec (27:37).

Headed up to Poppintree with the mrs, Geraldine, Aoife and Paul. Leisurely, chatty parkrun with P, then the obligatory breakfast after. Total 6.6k @ 5:44 avg.

Sun 17 Nov

The Stook 10 mile (1:14:55).

Signed up for this at the last minute, when a cancelled trip to Donegal provided the opportunity to take a trip to Kilkenny with Ferris, who kindly did the driving. Arrived at Dungarvan in plenty of time to park in the field and pick up the number. Having looked at a course profile on Garmin during the week, I was expecting a fairly flat 6 miles, then up and down a big hill over the last 4. I was right, except for the first 6 miles bit, which involved plenty more ups and downs and hardly any flat stuff at all, it seemed.

We bumped into Helenanne in the hall, a quick warmup and we were all off. Perfect conditions, cool, sunny, dry, hardly any wind. Set out behind C, as he gradually drifted away over the first couple of miles (6:52, 7:27). Didn’t try to stay with him - he’s in better shape and a far stronger hill runner than I am. Field thinned out after a bit on the quiet country roads. Found myself trading places with people throughout, usually passing on the downhill/flat, often passed on the up (7:07, 7:34, 7:37). Helen passed in mile 6 (I think), as I was starting to feel a bit rough. Stuck with her though, glad of the focus (7:38). Mile 7 and 8 is basically a relentless hill climbing 440 feet with a good few false crests. Thought it would never end. H had a bit of a rough patch about halfway up and I passed again (9:20, 8:13). At the summit, there’s an excellent view, not that you get much chance to admire it. Tried to recover somewhat after the gruelling climb, then prepare for the race’s quirky USP - the chiptimed ‘flying mile’ on the descent back into the village. The first half of this flyer is very steep however - wasn’t brave enough to hammer it and H came absolutely flying past. As the grade became less steep, however, I was able to pick it up a bit and pass a few bodies (6:12). After the flying mile it was just a case of holding it together over the final stretch - mostly downhill, but with a few sneaky little lumps just to stop you from getting carried away (6:52).

Properly gassed at the end, had to take my now customary moment, and I was asked was I OK by a few attentive stewards. Coffee, a few sambos and the road home. Good event, not for the fainthearted for sure! Really enjoyed it.

Previous PB: 71:33 (Ballycotton 2016)
    Target: 73-75 mins? (No idea really!)
    Time: 74:55 ('Flying mile' 6:08)
    73rd of 270
    2nd M55 (of 12)
    VDOT 45.1, Age Grade 70.6
    Verdict: Stooked!

Signing up for Cobh 10m tomorrow - I like the distance, and it's good to be racing it after a gap of two and half years since the demise of Ballycotton. Plenty of work to do over the coming while, must get stronger at hill running.

WTD 52 km (32 mi)
    MTD: 71 (44)
    YTD: 2,574 (1,600)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Plenty of hills in Cobh anyway! Nice race though - had a bit of a sufferfest there in 2018 and must return sometime for my revenge! I'll add the Stook to the bucket list too for future years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Well done yesterday. Really glad you enjoyed it. I know you’ve been too gallant to say above that you passed me again after the downhill mile - my legs were just gone!

Well done on your great finishing kick! And I’m so glad you & Ferris came down - it was great to have you running around the same pace as me - a real help!

ps here are my splits: we were v similar -
    7.12, 7.31, 7.16, 7.25, 7.20, 7.34, 9.26 (!!!!), 8.11, 6.02, 7.02)

Are you doing Jingle Bells?

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Well done yesterday. Really glad you enjoyed it. I know you’ve been too gallant to say above that you passed me again after the downhill mile - my legs were just gone!

Well done on your great finishing kick! And I’m so glad you & Ferris came down - it was great to have you running around the same pace as me - a real help!

ps here are my splits: we were v similar -
    7.12, 7.31, 7.16, 7.25, 7.20, 7.34, 9.26 (!!!!), 8.11, 6.02, 7.02)

Are you doing Jingle Bells?

Did I forget to put that bit in? Oops. :)

Yes, had a bit left for a final spurt - not much though, that’s why I left it so late to pass, didn’t want you coming back at me. ;) Also wanted to get under 75 mins and could see the clock counting down once round the final little bend. Had nothing left at the end either, as you noted from my pale demeanour!

Those splits are very similar alright - you started a bit more conservatively but I always knew you’d be in the vicinity at the business end. I could hear you coming up behind me when you thanked one of the stewards! You did well to recover on the big hill during your own rough patch - it’s so bloody steep and never ending, far worse than Howth, for instance, which is what I had pictured. Well done on your race - you seemed a bit disappointed with the time but you ran well.

Jingle Bells - don't think so, due to be away that week. Pity - I've still to nail that race so I'll keep coming back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Stook is my all time favourite race, absolutely loved the flying mile! Must aim to get back there sometime again. It's tough though that's true but it's a great route and they certainly put on a fantastic show. Funnily enough I also met HelenAnne the year I did it :).

Stook is my all time favourite race, absolutely loved the flying mile! Must aim to get back there sometime again. It's tough though that's true but it's a great route and they certainly put on a fantastic show. Funnily enough I also met HelenAnne the year I did it :).

I think she owns it!

Murph_D wrote: »
    I think she owns it!

I’m very invested in keeping my collection of cowbells up to date!

I’m very invested in keeping my collection of cowbells up to date!

Do they all ring a different note? Can you line them up and play Jingle Bells? :)

This week: settling in to the 80/20 method? (Well, sort of).

Mon 18 Nov

Plan had 45 mins easy but rested after previous day’s race.

Tue 19 Nov

Plan had a ‘fast finish’ run (easy progressing to tempo) but I opted to join clubmates and others for the Mick Clohisey session on the seafront. Promised myself I’d take it really easy but after the opening km, ended up doing it at fairly normal pace, which was a bit irresponsible. 1k, 3x600, 5x300.

Wed 20 Nov

50 mins easy, as per plan. Inland route for a change, on a Collins Ave loop.

Thu 21 Nov

Cross-training - an hour in the gym. Followed up with 27 mins at recovery pace around the Bath Ave vicinity from TCD.

Fri 22 Nov

Hills - 8x30s

Plan had a much harder hill session but I reckoned the Stook has to stand for something and a gentler version would suffice. Over to Mount East Wall at lunchtime for this one. ;)

Sat 23 Nov

No parkrun today due to childminding. Got out later for 35 mins @ recovery - a little shorter than plan, but legs were pretty bunched.

Sun 24 Nov

Long run 26.6k @ 5:42

Beautiful still morning on the seafront. Drove to the causeway and headed to Baldoyle and on to Malahide. Wouldn’t have made it that far on the footpath-free road beyond the racecourse, except I noticed the new Greenway, while not quite finished, was reasonably accessible over the low racecourse wall, and very runnable. Very nice - it certainly opens up new possibilities for long runs, today and into the future. Really enjoyed the Portmarnock-Malahide section via the coastal path (no sign of Singer or PaulieYifter). Hadn’t been on that path in decades! Turned at the Marina and back the same way. Tired at the end, and definitely starting to run out of pep, but a super run to end the week. Only slight concern is the hamstring niggle starting to say hello again, ever since that Donadea session last week. :(

Weekly total: 414 mins (inc. cross train)
    Easy: 369 mins (89%)
    Moderate/hard: 45 mins (11%)
    (Plan - 89%/11%)

WTD 59 km (36 mi)
    MTD: 129 (80)
    YTD: 2,633 (1,636)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Beautiful still morning on the seafront. Drove to the causeway and headed to Baldoyle and on to Malahide. Wouldn’t have made it that far on the footpath-free road beyond the racecourse, except I noticed the new Greenway, while not quite finished, was reasonably accessible over the low racecourse wall, and very runnable. Very nice - it certainly opens up new possibilities for long runs, today and into the future. Really enjoyed the Portmarnock-Malahide section via the coastal path (no sign of Singer or PaulieYifter). Hadn’t been on that path in decades! Turned at the Marina and back the same way. Tired at the end, and definitely starting to run out of pep, but a super run to end the week. Only slight concern is the hamstring niggle starting to say hello again, ever since that Donadea session last week. :(

Nice route :)

I've been looking forward to making use of that greenway, it should open up Swords to Howth if I was in the mood for a particularly long and pretty run.

Singer wrote: »

I've been looking forward to making use of that greenway, it should open up Swords to Howth if I was in the mood for a particularly long and pretty run.

Well if you're considering a road test before it opens, the fence at the Portmarnock end is pretty impenetrable, but if you jog up the road as far as the first house on the right (mind the cars), you can climb over the ditch just to to the right of the house (you'll have to negotiate some mud to get onto the path, but nothing too serious). No problem getting out the other end, although you might have to jig round the half-built bridge in the middle.

Careful now!

Not a lot to report this week. Lots of easy stuff, some of it reasonably long.

Mon 25 Nov

Rest.

Tue 26 Nov

12.9k recovery

Didn’t fancy the MC session on wet grass, so opted for a long recovery run with M & C instead.

Wed 27 Nov

3k easy, pre-gym S&C.

Thu 28 Nov

8.7k easy on the treadmill. Gym membership had expired - they let me in anyway, but this was easier than going out and having to talk my way back in again.

Fri 29 Nov

14.5k easy around Clontarf with M.

Sat 30 Nov

5.9k with 2+ @HMP

Volunteered at parkrun then ran home. Came across the Clontarf HM coming off the wooden bridge and slotted in for a couple of kms. I was around the 93 mins part of the field (based on clock at the end), not too far away from where I’d expect to be on a good day. Thin enough crowd at that point of this race. Enjoyed the change of pace.

Nov total: 174 km (108 mi)

Sun 1 Dec

Long run 30k @ 5:45 (zone 2)

18.6 mile LR. Started heading across town towards Booterstown but veered right at the Dodder and headed upriver as far as Dodder Valley Park, turning back at Brothers Pearse HQ. Enjoyed this, although was quite cold (and tired, naturally) at the end. Unusual fact: came across some detectives examining what looked like a murder scene during this run. :eek:

WTD 75 km (47 mi)
    MTD: 30 (19)
    YTD: 2,708 (1,683)

Weekly total: 494 mins
    Easy: 464 mins (94%)
    Moderate/hard: 30 mins (6%)
    (Plan - 90%/10%)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

You might have to wait another while

https://www.thejournal.ie/greenway-delayed-flooding-4911281-Dec2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I guess it could work for some triathlon training.

Unusual fact: came across some detectives examining what looked like a murder scene during this run. :eek:

Me too! Was yours on North Strand?

Also, in happier news, I ran into a mustering of Santas on the beach during my long run - they were getting ready for the Santa dash and it was so nice & funny - Santas everywhere!

Ouch. I did notice there were pumps going full-time when I was passing through. And I did mention to some people afterwards that it will probably all be underwater in a few years anyway.
    I guess it could work for some triathlon training.

At nearly €1.4m per km (€1,400 per metre!) through some of the lowest lying land in the city, at a time when everyone is concerned about eco-breakdown you'd think someone would have asked questions about the flood risk.
    Me too! Was yours on North Strand?

Yes! Turned out to be "only" a stabbing, thankfully.

This week: some travel, and the end of the base phase.

Mon 2 Dec

Rest.

Tue 3 Dec

Fast finish MLR (60 mins with last 15 zone 3)

An easy trot out beyond the wooden bridge. Zone 3 from the bandstand to home. Used the chest strap and got a good read - noticed the early spike (+20 beats or so a couple of mins after starting the run, then settling as usual). Up to zone 3 (167-174) for the last 15 mins, achieving about 4:49 pace, which is a little slower than I’d like to be seeing at this HR. But all good, and comfortable enough.

Wed 4 Dec

42 mins easy/rec.

I am in Los Angeles for a few days. First time, and as a movie fan I looked forward to seeing some iconic sights. Up early with the jet lag so took myself out along nearby Sunset Boulevard and into Beverly Hills. It was pissing rain, unusually, and the hotel doorman was highly impressed that I was heading out. Enjoyed the dawn trot through the rain, which eased off towards the end. Always a good way to see somewhere new.

Thu 5 Dec

15k easy

Quite tired with little sleep, the lag, and a long day of events yesterday, but I wanted to see more of the sights. West on Sunset Blvd, then along Hollywood Blvd’s ‘Walk of Fame’, thronged with tourists, dodgy looking spidermen and lots of homeless people, some of them very broken indeed. Reminded me of Times Square in the late 80s - iconic but seedy. The Chinese Theatre was a sight, all the same. On then to Griffith Park and up the very steep trails to the Observatory, very familiar from lots of movie appearances. Super views over the city and hills. On another day I would have extended the run a couple of miles to the Hollywood sign, but I wasn’t prepared nutritionally for that, as it would have involved going over another couple of hills and I was hungry and thirsty. Next time! Came down via the road, longer but much easier going. Once back on the streets I grabbed a Lime scooter and took life in hands on the main streets back to the hotel, before parking and running the last mile. Tiring but very pleasant run, in glorious sunshine and 16-degree weather. Unforgettable - a 'why we run' run. :)

Fri 6 Dec.

9.5k easy

Between a morning of activities and the flight home, I managed to get in an easy trot through nearby Beverly Hills (which is mostly fairly flat, handily enough). Stopped for a selfie at the famous sign, taking my turn among the Asian visitors. Enjoyed the quiet streets, among the very upmarket, very well kept, and very security-signed and CCTV-festooned houses.

Sat 7 Dec

No run. No opportunity really.

Sun 8 Dec

17.3k easy

Slept like a baby (finally) so feeling much better today, although there appears to be a cold coming on. A visit to my mother’s ended up with a few chores and the job of putting up her Christmas Tree, so the day was nearly over before I got out before dinner for a circuit of the seafront and Howth Road with a few detours to bring me closer to 11 miles, although I didn’t quite bother with the 11.5 on the plan. Windy, but avoided the worst by taking the inland route home. Not a bad week considering, although no gym work.

WTD 62 km (38 mi)
    MTD: 92 (57)
    YTD: 2,770 (1,721)

Weekly total: 356 mins
    Easy: 316 mins (89%)
    Moderate/hard: 40 mins (11%)
    (Plan - 92%/8%)

This week: entering 80/20 plan’s peak phase. But adjusting around Saturday’s Aware 10k in the Park.

Mon 9 Dec

Rest. Plan had 45 mins easy but a few things came up, and also battling a cold, so the easy thing was to bail.

Tue 10 Dec

AM: Cruise Intervals: 4 x 8 mins Z3 (3 mins rec)

Had a window to do this after the school drop, so down to Fairview Park where I figured there’d be some protection from the wind. Still pretty blowy but definitely better than being on the exposed seafront. The plan called for 4 x 8 mins at zone 3 - HR 167-174 for me, so basically topping out at my LT, which occurs at 174. Theoretically that should see me at 4:20-4:30 pace, but didn’t achieve anything like that. No matter, it’s the effort that counts!

Splits:

4:54 (1.63 km @ 79% HRR)
    4:54 (1.63 @ 80%)
    5:02 (1.59 @ 81%)
    5:06 (1.57 @ 80%)

Taking paces with a pinch of salt given tree cover on the main avenue of the park - definitely felt faster anyway! But it’s the HR that counts. 10 mins WU and CD, total 64 mins, 11.3 km.

PM: 10k easy (hills)

An easy up and down on Howth Head. Timed to arrive at summit in time to jog back down with M and C after their hill session. Felt a bit guilty driving all the way out (sorry, planet), but I need a lot of motivation for double days in the cold and dark and the company made it easier.

Wed 11 Dec

42 mins recovery. A little shorter than what’s on the plan, but a mini-taper is in order with Saturday’s 10k in mind.

WTD 28 km (18 mi)
    MTD: 120 (75)
    YTD: 2,798 (1,739)

Thu 12 Dec

No running.

Fri 13 Dec.

Nada. Life getting in the way.

Sat 14 Dec

Aware 10k (42:03 unofficial) - PB?

I rarely jump on the short course bandwagon, because it rarely happens to me - in fact I think today was a first. My 10k PB (43:19) was set on the long K-Club 2018 course, so it was always going to be soft. Today, on a windy and cold day I managed around 42:03 unofficially (I have yet to appear in the results). If the course was as short as the K-Club was long, it’s a worse performance today, but it is what it is and I’ll use today’s result as the benchmark for future races. I think I can claim a PB, as the time was fully 1:16 inside the old mark, with the course possibly up to 250m short. Given the nature of the event I don’t think a longer report is appropriate, but I will say it wasn’t a particularly fast course, with a couple of sharp turnarounds and some nasty headwinds on the most exposed parts. I found it tough enough, and I hope Aware did well out of it.

Didn't want to cool down in the Park as I'd get caught in exit traffic so took advantage of my relatively early finish and got out before the crowds. Headed to Albert College Park for a couple of laps, beeping at skyblue on Ballymun Road. 15k for the day.

Sun 15 Dec

LR with speedplay 4 - 25.8k @ 5:33 avg (16 mi @ 8:56)

Felt surprisingly good after yesterday’s race - perhaps not everything expended? Wasn’t sure how the body would hold up so set out on this run fully prepared to shorten or dial back if feeling it, but ended up doing the run to plan: 1.5 miles warmup in Z1/Z2 then 400m at Zone 3 HR during each of the next 14 miles. Went up the Royal Canal for this, exiting at Castleknock where I miraculously failed to get lost among the housing estates of Carpenterstown. Always good to go up the canal because the return journey is easier. 43 miles for the week. Deviating quite a bit from 80/20 however.

WTD 70 km (43 mi)
    MTD: 161 (100)
    YTD: 2,839 (1,765)

Weekly total: 389 mins
    Easy: 277 mins (71%)
    Moderate/hard: 112 mins (29%)
    (Plan - 80%/20%)

• Advertisement

This week: How well can I stick to the plan? I can’t help feeling that a 50k race is a bit of a novelty, and even though I really enjoy the Donadea event from my experiences to date, I find it hard to take as seriously as a ‘proper’ marathon. Maybe it's because it's ten laps of forest paths, or maybe it's the requirement to train diligently and specifically through the depths of winter. It can be especially hard, obviously, to fit this training around the Xmas / New Year season, which is kicking off this week for me, with a couple of get-togethers to get to, and that’s just the start. Hopefully excess will not become the norm.

Mon 16 Dec

No running. Once again missing the Monday run - partly because I've decided not to rejoin the gym at work and that makes it harder to get out during lunchtime, etc. Night time runs are much easier to 'reschedule', I find.

Tue 17 Dec

36 mins @ tempo

Cold one tonight. 10 mins warmup then into tempo pace along the seafront. The HRM didn’t seem to be working right for a while, so I didn’t get a good read until well into the second quarter of the run. At this point I’d met up with M, who locked into the promised 7:30/m pace so I didn’t have to do much except keep up with him. We turned near the causeway and back into the breeze. Strangely I thought this harder second half of the run felt easier. Of course it would have been much harder on my own - thanks M! Very happy with the session, feeling very good despite the weekend’s exertions. Total for the evening: 11.9k (7.4m).

Wed 18 Dec

56 mins easy in pretty miserable conditions around Glasnevin, Phibsboro and Grangegorman.

WTD 21 km (13 mi)
    MTD: 183 (113)
    YTD: 2,861 (1,778)

Thu 19 Dec

6.7k easy. A few easy miles around Phibsoboro and Drumcondra. Took in a lap of Clonliffe College, which I don't think I’ve run in before - very familiar with the place as I grew up down the road and we treated it like a local park.

Fri 20 Dec.

Session: 12x90s Zone 5

First of the Friday speed sessions on the plan: 12 reps of 90 seconds at zone 5 pace. Fitzgerald says to do these workouts by pace rather than HR (takes too long for the HR to catch up). The range suggested in the plan is pretty wide - equating to 800m to 5k pace for me. For this one - one of the longer ones on the plan, I was happy to be around 3-5k pace. A slight breeze made the second half harder.

Splits (achieved pace):

3:57 3:47 3:38 3:43 3:39 3:39
    3:54 3:50 3:55 4:04 4:02 3:58

Not too bad - it’s good while since I did a session like this, which I would be more used to doing on the track. Felt good to have it done.

Sat 21 Dec

Hungover 7.7k around the Collins Ave viciinity. No fun at all.

Sun 22 Dec

LR with fast finish 8: 26.9k @ 5:43 avg (16.7k mi @ 9:11)

After another night of Christmas cheer to run off, I was happy to get this one out of the way relatively early in the day. Headed out the South Bay to the West Pier and back, passing a long-time strava buddy (twice) and finally getting to wave hello. Wonder if he’s training for Donadea again. :)

Good week at 46 miles - would have been a good bit more if I’d observed the three double days. And missing those doubles messes with the easy/moderate/hard ratio too. Must do better!

WTD 75 km (46 mi)
    MTD: 236 (147)
    YTD: 2,914 (1,811)

Weekly total: 429 mins
    Easy: 332 mins (77%)
    Moderate/hard: 97 mins (23%)
    (Plan - 83%/17%)

Season's greetings!

This week: Ho, Ho, Ho! Hope to do better than last week as far as overdoing it is concerned. I suppose the lead-up to Christmas is more toxic than the event itself, but I must say I find the whole experience more trying the older I get. The overconsumption is depressing (humbug). Some good running events on though - maybe I’ll get to one of them.

Mon 23 Dec

I was dreading having to run at the end of a long day of shopping, etc. And then I noticed it was a rest day. Hooray!

Tue 24 Dec

‘Cruise Intervals' session: (4 x 8 mins @ LT (3 mins jog rec)

Another bracing tempo session, a repeat of one done a fortnight ago in Fairview Park. This time I ventured out to Clontarf. The outward two reps weren’t too bad, although as has been the case recently I found it difficult to dial into it during the first rep, which got me most of the way to the wooden bridge. Got on with it for the second, out almost to the causeway. Turned then into the wind and the second half was considerably harder. But all good effortwise: the HR monitor stopped me from overdoing/underdoing it. Total for the morning 11.75k.

Wed 25 Dec

6.1k inc Waterstown parkrun @ ~MP (24:50)

Observing what is now a three-year tradition, headed over to Waterstown’s Christmas parkrun with A & G, meeting up with A & P and AM and J and a few other familiar faces for hugs and good cheer. It was icy around the carparks - a cyclist had taken a fall on the way in and had to leave in an ambulance. But thankfully the course itself was not too slippy. The others opted for a sociable pace, but as I was in my short sleeves I needed to generate more heat so I progressed up to MP and held it there for most of the run, picking up slightly at the end. Very pleasant, as always. Thanks to the volunteers for making it happen. Short cool down before heading home. Considered going to the club’s Goal ‘mile’ event in St. Anne’s on the way back but time was short and called it a day, running wise.

Thu 26 Dec

8.5k easy up to DCU and back. Trying to pay attention and avoid going too easy, as sometimes I find myself slipping too far down and into recovery mode on this kind of run.

Fri 27 Dec.

11.4k (mostly trail)

Out to the seafront to the rendezvous point, then to Howth for an hour on the trails with M, C and DD. We took in a few of the peaks, following C’s expert guidance. Some very nice new gravel paths near Shielmartin made the early going deceptively easy, because we were soon among the rocks and the mud and the gorse. My HR certainly got well up into zone 3 for the uphills sections so I’ll consider this a very decent workout. No falls, thankfully enough - I descended a few sections very gingerly to make sure not to annoy my dodgy lower back. Very enjoyable, don’t do enough of this kind of running. Good feed of chicken wings and Guinness in the Bloody Stream afterwards to cap an excellent morning.

WTD 38km (23 mi)
    MTD: 274 (170)
    YTD: 2,952 (1,834)

Going to retire this log - I have enjoyed posting, and it has always been about reflecting on the individual run, the week, the race, for me. I'm no running expert, though, and advice has been absent for many a month and year. It's been fun, but posting my own ruminations is just dull.

What is a log for, except discussion and critique of training methods?

Are mine really above reproach? Nah.

This log was all about mid-packers like myself aspiring to qualifying for major events - arbitrary standards, but nevertheless the ones out there. I'm still waiting for London and Tokyo, but I'll get there. Well London anyway. ;)

Love yiz. May ye all BQ and LQ and CQ and BerlinQ and the rest. Live long and prosper. Respect and good wishes to all. See you out on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Shame to read this D, this was always one of my go to logs. Happy running, there’s still Strava!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Shame, I liked this log too. Maybe a new one instead if you feel this has plateaued?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

That's a pity. I really liked your log, I admit I never really interacted with you on it. All the best with you future training and races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Very sorry to see this. Apart from being a great read, this log has been a mine of information for me. Hope you’ll still post on the main forum from time to time.

I’m back - but just to finish the week and wrap up the year. :)

Sat 28 Dec

11.3k easy/recovery

The plan had a double - 40 mins recovery in the AM, 30 mins easy in the PM. Cross-trained on the golf course in the morning (bizarrely bumping into PaulieYifter for the first time in ages, as he crossed the right of way through the course), and opted for a one-hour run with 30 easy / 30m recovery later in the day. A fair compromise, I reckon. Bad news later of the death of a clubmate at the end of a local race. RIP, M.

Sun 29 Dec

‘LR with speedplay’: 14 mi w/ 12x400 (@Zone 3)

Not in great shape for this after a late night with plenty of wine and, eh, Baileys (one of my guilty pleasures). The ‘speedplay’ LR incorporates 400m surges to HR Zone 3 (LT) at the beginning of each mile. My HR was a bit elevated so had no trouble getting there. Took in Griffith Park, Albert College Park and Santry Demesne en route, and a couple of laps of the ALSAA track before turning for home. Fairly bonked by the end - a tough run at the end of a long week.

WTD 72 km (44 mi)
    MTD: 308 (191)
    YTD: 2,985 (1,855)

Weekly total: 415 mins
    Easy: 322 mins (78%)
    Moderate/hard: 93 mins (22%)
    (Plan - 80%/20%)

And that’s pretty much it for the year - with a couple of days to go, I’ll end up about 130 miles short of the 2,000 mile target, due to low mileage at the start of the year and some enforced rest days in August with the hamstring niggle.

It wasn’t a bad year, with plenty of racing. 20 races in all (16 between Jan-June), including:
    • 3 x 800m
    • 4 x 1 mile (2 PBs - one road, one track)
    • 2 x 2 mile
    • 2 x 3 mile
    • 1 x 4 mile
    • 3 x 5k (1 PB)
    • 1 x 5 mile (PB)
    • 1 x 10k (short course ‘PB’)
    • 1 x 10 mile
    • 1 x marathon
    • 1 x cross country (course PB)

The year began as usual with the Dublin Masters, where I had my best race yet on the venerable St. Annes course, due mainly to the benign conditions and a better start than usual. A few weeks later there was a PB (33:23) in the Raheny 5 - a controlled race where I might have done better if I’d been a bit braver. The first third of the year was spent doing lots of 1, 2 and 3 mile races in the club’s Winter League. This sharpened me up pretty well and I ran a mile PB and took a couple of scalps a few days before the Road Relays - this should have been enough to make the team but alas, I wasn’t selected - probably my last realistic opportunity to do this race as there are just so many good M50 racers in the club. In May I had probably the best moment of the year at the Bob Heffernan 5k, where the 80/20 training paid off with a good PB (19:40). The summer was supposed to be about track and another tilt at a National Masters medal in the 800m. I did a couple of graded meets and some good sessions but the hamstring niggle sustained during a LT test a few weeks before the meet put an end to my track ‘career’ for the time being - although I did recover in time to put some of the training to good use and snag another mile PB at the Day of Irish PBs event in Leixlip. There was just about enough time to train for a sub-3:30 marathon, and I really enjoyed the Dublin course this year. The marathon was probably still in the legs at the Stook 10-mile but it was a super event and I had a great battle with Helenanne over the last five miles. The final race of the year was the Aware 10k where the 42:03 ‘PB’ has to be taken with a few grains of salt as the course was almost certainly short. I’d hoped to get in a final race over the Christmas period but it didn’t work out, partly due to some seasonal overindulgence.

And that’s that! This log began with the attempt to qualify for Boston 2016. Since that was achieved in Berlin (2014) and improved with a 3:29 at Cork 2015, every marathon (with the ironic exception of Boston itself) has been good enough to re-qualify. The attempt (also commenced at Boston) to qualify for New York was a good bit harder and took a few efforts, finally getting there with GFA times at both Charleville and Dublin in 2017, the latter still my best marathon yet at 3:22. 2020 will be mostly about trying to run a good Chicago, where hopefully I can get a London qualifier before a new age category makes the task easier, on paper at least.

It’s been a journey, and it will continue, but for now this log has run its course. The highlights for me have undoubtedly been the New York Marathon and the National Masters 800m, both from last year. Thanks for all the input and support over the last five and a half years. Hope 2020 is good for all. See ye on the roads, the tracks and the fields!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

This log has been a pleasure to read, both for the content, but also for how it was written.

If this is to be IT - then fair play, you ended it well. See you on the roads.

Advertisement