Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Murph, you can't seriously give him credit for a kilo marathon. That's a makey up event:p

Come back here when you're running properly and not been out kicked up the driveway by your daughter :)

Did I mention I PB'ed the marathon 3 times in 2014, put that in you're makey up pipe and smoke it :)

TbL,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Murph, you can't seriously give him credit for a kilo marathon. That's a makey up event:p

Good point. And 8k - what's that all about? :rolleyes:

Murph_D wrote: »
    Wait till we're racing the zimmer frames. Then you'll see the sparks fly. :pac:

At our age the only sparks we'll be seen is from the defibrillator :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Lads, who fancies a 3.65k run tomorrow?

I fancy a pb for all of us......:D

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Lads, who fancies a 3.65k run tomorrow?

I fancy a pb for all of us......:D

3.65k. A metre for every day of the year. We could do up a Facebook page, charge 40 a head and make a mint.

• Advertisement

Actually make that 10m per day. Even more profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I won’t begrudge Mayo an all-Ireland after that, even at the Dubs’ expense. Great job.......

Steady on there.. Don't be making such rash statements in your excitement :D

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Steady on there.. Don't be making such rash statements in your excitement :D

The nation needs a Mayo All-Ireland for sure, so we can stop hearing about "the curse" once and for all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice running D, you have had a great year. Excellent job by JC with the pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Brilliant running murph, you're having some running year!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well done again murph_d, nice chatting to you both after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

The nation needs a Mayo All-Ireland for sure, so we can stop hearing about "the curse" once and for all. :)

There will be a curse on yourself and Marty if ye don't shut up about the All Ireland in December. Some of us are still coming to terms with that semi final loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

SamforMayo wrote: »
    There will be a curse on yourself and Marty if ye don't shut up about the All Ireland in December. Some of us are still coming to terms with that semi final loss!

Some of us are still coming to terms with not showing up at the final in sept... And I'm not even from Mayo! Ouch.

Sun 21 Dec

40 mins recovery.

Wet and windy jaunt around the Newcastle area of Galway City, en route to collecting one of the junior Murphs from NUIG for the holidays. Flirted with getting TbL to join me for this but he wasn't allowed out.

WTD: 15 (23 km)
    MTD: 62 (99 km)
    YTD: 1,279 (2,058 km)

2014 Goals Table update:

Distance|2013 PB|2014 Goal|2014 PB|Date
    5k|22:05|21:59|21:49|20 Dec
    5m|38:03|37:26|36:47|28 June
    10k|50:51|46:53|46:28|20 July
    10m|78:53|78:22|77:07|23 Aug
    HM|1:46:25|1:44:32|1:41:00|6 Dec
    M|3:46:15|3:39:59|3:36:17|28 Sept

The full Murph ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Murph - I've dedicated the video in my latest update to you, hope you like it!!:D

belcarra wrote: »
    Murph - I've dedicated the video in my latest update to you, hope you like it!!:D

Can't see that video on my phone (will check later) but great report. Glad you didn't say anything about the splits at the time - noticed our watches beeping quite far apart so there's always a bit of guesswork I suppose. :) Interesting blog!

belcarra wrote: »

Ha ha - cheeky!

If your making the trip to Bundoran next March i'll give you a hand at taking time off that 10 mile PB D?

tang1 wrote: »
    If your making the trip to Bundoran next March i'll give you a hand at taking time off that 10 mile PB D?

Thanks B, that race is in the calendar alright. You back in action?

Thanks B, that race is in the calendar alright. You back in action?

Getting there, things improving day by day. Bundoran 10 will be the main focus for the first 12-13 weeks of training in 2015.

• Advertisement

Tue 23 Dec

5 mi (8 km) easy.

Mostly easy run along the seafront, incorporating a couple of faster kms in the middle.

Fri Dec 26

9.4 mi (15 km) easy.

Joined the mrs for this. Headed up the Royal Canal and back via Tolka Valley. Cold, wet, very quiet. Very enjoyable and just the thing to work off the turkey.

WTD: 14 (23 km)
    MTD: 76 (122 km)
    YTD: 1,293 (2,081 km)

Sat 27 Dec

3.4 mi easy (5.5 km)

Brief warmup followed by an easy canter around the St. Anne's parkrun, accompanied by my OH and another friend, P, who was wrapped up for polar conditions. Was tempted to run this a bit harder but resisted, in the interests of recovery having raced twice in the past three weeks. Will try some sort of session during the week though, what with the cross country debut getting closer.

WTD: 18 (29 km)
    MTD: 80 (128 km)
    YTD: 1,296 (2,086 km)

Sun 28 Dec

21km on the bike.

Met up with the brother for a pre-breakfast spin up to the Phoenix Park. Icy morning so care had to be taken. Beautiful to be in the park at dawn, the deer appearing out of the gloom and running alongside. The brother was wearing the fingerless gloves so by the time we parted his fingers were falling off with the sub-zero cold. My woolly ones were more effective.

Tue 30 Dec

20 mins tempo w/ WU+CD. Total: 5.9 mi (9.5km)

It's all been race/recovery/easy/race/recovery/easy for most of the past month so it was good to get a bit of quality in for a change. Time was fairly tight so only a mile and a half warmup before launching into the tempo run along the seafront and the Bull wall. After dark so there was no point in trying to squint at the watch after establishing the pace of 7:34/mi pace (4:42/km). This felt "comfortably tough" and the breathing was a bit erratic for a while but managed to keep to the pace mostly by feel, completing 2.7 miles at 7:32 avg. (4.3 km @ 4:41). Lovely night for it, and the seafront was quite busy with other runners.

WTD: 6 (10 km)
    MTD: 86 (138 km)
    YTD: 1,302 (2,096 km)

Wed 31 Dec

48 mins easy: 5.2 mi @ 9:17 (8.3 km @ 5:46)

Out to the Bull Wall for the last time this year.

WTD:11 (18 km)
    MTD: 91 (146 km)
    YTD: 1,308 (2,104 km)

2014 was my third full year of regular running and I can’t complain about the progress made. PBs were improved at all distances, but more importantly I felt I broadened my experience of the sport: getting to know more runners; travelling to races; joining a club; running and training a bit smarter.

The year got off to a slow start with a lower back injury carried over from late 2013, which meant seven weeks of no running at all. :( Managed a slow parkrun in January, easing back into training in Feb. On a whim I responded to an email notifying some extra Berlin Marathon places. Wasn’t expecting it to be so easy to get in and boom, that was the rest of the year set up, although to be honest I wasn’t particularly confident that the injuries would stay away. By March I was feeling reasonably good and training 3-4 days a week - was all very gentle stuff, finally allowing myself a 5k race at the end of April, mainly because the start line was only about 30 metres from my desk (how could I resist?) In May I managed a small PB at the Terenure 5 Mile, but it was all a bit of a struggle. :eek:

Berlin training kicked off a couple of weeks later and everything just clicked from Day One of the tried and trusted meno plan. With qualification for Boston 2016 in mind, I targeted sub 3:40 time and set myself the goal of hitting the relevant MacMillan times at 5k, 5m, 10k, 10m, HM and M, which would mean a PB at nearly all of those distances. By the Irish Runner 5 Mile in June things were ticking over nicely: cruised to a 36:47, knocking another minute off the PB. Progress continued over the summer. Nearly every session and long run felt good despite the challenging conditions of this year’s temperatures. The next tune-up race was the Fingal 10k in very hot and humid conditions. Only my second time doing the distance and a very soft PB – improved it by 4 mins but it was a struggle, probably the toughest-feeling race of the year for me, dry retching my way through the last kilometre. In August, another PB at the Frank Duffy 10 Mile, a race and distance I really enjoy, although I want them to change the course back to what it was. :confused:

So then it was time for the year’s main event. Berlin was more memorable than my wildest hopes (although my memories of the later stages of the post-race celebrations are very dim indeed). The race itself was a dream run – enjoyed every minute and managed to take in a lot of the atmosphere while making the BQ qualifying time with a few minutes to spare in 3:36:17. :pac: Apart from the race, the camaraderie from our travelling group of Boardsies was fantastic. An unforgettable few days really, although it had gone so smoothly I couldn’t help thinking I should have pushed a bit harder.

Having reached the year’s major goal, it was nice to take it easy for a while. I’d signed up to pace 5 hours at DCM but a bout of flu put an end to that, leaving me free to act as personal pacer to the missus, annapr, instead (we got through a tough day just over 4 hours 43, outside her target but not bad under the conditions. So with the year running out, with some very good advice from hereabouts, I took it handy for a few weeks before renewing the PB quest in December on the back of a 5-week prep with expert input from career_move, menoscemo and Ecoli. The result was another 5-min PB at the Waterford Half Marathon. I thought on the day it was a tough course but on reflection it was plain that my discomfort had more to do with a bit more HTFU than usual, something I was pleased about because, as I’ve said above, some of this year’s races were probably too comfortable and complacent. :o

That left just the 5k, the distance I like least of all, but just before Christmas I completed the clean sweep of the various PBs with a sub-22 at St. Anne’s parkrun, with a huge assist from belcarra who seemed to pipe in with the right comment every time I started to doubt, pacing perfectly to the finish. :cool:

So a very good year all round. Thanks to everyone who helped, by taking an interest and chiming in on this log, elsewhere in the forum and in person: it really does make a difference. We’re a diverse enough bunch, of hugely varying experience and ability, united by our common interest in the sport. May we all live long and prosper. :pac: Roll on 2015!

2014 Stats

Miles run: 1,308 (2,104 km)
    No. of runs: 190
    Races: 9 (plus 2 as a personal pacer)
    PBs: 7 (5k, 5mx2, 10k, 10m, HM, M)
    Parkruns: 19 (all St. Anne's)
    Highlight: Berlin Marathon
    Best effort: Waterford HM (vdot 44.57)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 voodee1962

Brilliant Berlin report Denis - a great read. It seems our years in Neeeheeee weren't entirely put to waste! Thanks for all those documents and I think I will be getting to know the Greendale circuit a bit too well. 4 x 1200 done today.
    Happy new year to you and Anna and the girls and the lads. Look forward to catching up with you in January at some stage.
    P.

Welcome to boards, P!

How is the Greendale track anyway? I've walked around it but never run on it.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 voodee1962

Welcome to boards, P!

How is the Greendale track anyway? I've walked around it but never run on it.

D

It's a bit tired and unused but it's the right length and it's two mins jog from my house so you won't hear me complaining about anything other than the pain of speed work. There's grass and weeds growing on it but I might wear a track through the growth - if I'm lucky.

Happy New Year to all the Murphs.

I'm expecting another year of PB's, from you, across the board including the Kilomarathon and 8k :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Happy New Year to all the Murphs.

I'm expecting another year of PB's, from you, across the board including the Kilomarathon and 8k :)

TbL

Kilo marathon - is that one of those 1k marathons?

Advertisement