Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Haha, what a puerile teenage could do with that paragraph, must resist, must resist ...:)

TbL

Go on, go on , go on..........it couldn't have been teed up better for a wannbe puerile teenager:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fri 5 Feb

Treadmill / Pilates session / cross trainer

Been meaning to get back to the pilates for a good while now, and finally got around to it. It's the best part of a year since i've been doing a weekly pilates class and the loss of flexibility, even by my standards, is pretty shocking. Even allowing for the modifications I have to make for my lower back issues, this session was quite humbling. Felt as inflexible as an auld plank. The instructor took pity on me and gave me some easier options, fair play to her. But I'll try to do this at least once a week to help with the core strength, which has been terribly neglected.

Did a mile on the treadmill to warm up and a mile on the cross trainer to cool down. I'll count the treadmill as a run but the missus won't let me count the cross trainer, even though it's more difficult and consists of a running motion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Murph_D wrote: »
    Thu 5 Feb

c.50 mins recovery: 5.5 mi (8.8 km)

Five laps of Albert College Park. TbL likes to refer to this kind of run as a nursing home special; for me this felt more like a funeral home special after yesterday's shenanigans. Legs protesting a little and the odd little twinge, but no major harm done, it seems.

WTD: 20 (32 km)
    MTD: 32 (52 km)
    YTD: 152 (244 km)
    Fri 5 Feb

Treadmill / Pilates session / cross trainer

Been meaning to get back to the pilates for a good while now, and finally got around to it. It's the best part of a year since i've been doing a weekly pilates class and the loss of flexibility, even by my standards, is pretty shocking. Even allowing for the modifications I have to make for my lower back issues, this session was quite humbling. Felt as inflexible as an auld plank. The instructor took pity on me and gave me some easier options, fair play to her. But I'll try to do this at least once a week to help with the core strength, which has been terribly neglected.

Did a mile on the treadmill to warm up and a mile on the cross trainer to cool down. I'll count the treadmill as a run but the missus won't let me count the cross trainer, even though it's more difficult and consists of a running motion. :)
    Spot the deliberate mistake :D Holding back tides and time Canute?!

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Spot the deliberate mistake :D Holding back tides and time Canute?!

Ha ha. I'm caught in a time warp. Happens a lot to us aul lads.

:o

Sat 7 Feb (I think) ;)

Easy 6.2 mi @ 8:50 (10 km @ 5:30)

Noticed that I've been running some of the easy runs a little too slowly according to McMillan's suggested range (5:01 - 5:39/km) so while this was perfectly comfortable it still felt like more of an effort than some of the recent easy ones. Got out early and headed into town via East Wall and along the Liffey via the boardwalk. Always feels nice to run through town before the traffic builds up. Laid down a Strava segment for the length of the boardwalk because surprisingly it didn't exist already. My CR will probably only last a few hours but if you're going after it mind yourself crossing O'Connell Bridge. :pac:

Headed to St. Anne's then where I had the pleasure of being the timekeeper as FBOT01 obliterated his PB coming in as third finisher behind the indomitable Deirdre Byrne. :D Ferris B looking good too, back in action and cruising to a very decent time considering layoff. And de missus finishing first in her age category too, without even trying. Quite a morning all round. :)

WTD: 27 (43 km)
    MTD: 40 (64 km)
    YTD: 159 (256 km)

• Advertisement

Sun 8 Feb

LSR 13.1 mi @ 8:27 (21.1 km @ 5:15)

After the relative balminess of the past couple of days I left the base layer at home and headed up to the Phoenix Park via the Royal Canal. I was beginning to regret this when I spotted the ice on the canal but I was feeling good and kept the pace nice and brisk. Was given a cheery greeting by two gentlemen enjoying a couple of 10am cans by the 3rd Lock (I don't know about the Grand Canal but I've always found the Royal al fresco drinking community to be a friendly bunch). I picked up the pace again in the park, inspired by a Marathon Talk episode I was listening to, where someone was suggesting ways to spice up the long run. So i found myself throwing in a few MP or better kms here and there, which helped ensure this run averaged out well towards the fast end of LSR range for me. Forty miles this week, and the 100% Jantastic record still intact. :)

WTD: 40 (64 km)
    MTD: 53 (85 km)
    YTD: 172 (277 km)

Mon 9 Feb

Rest.

Tue 10 Feb

Pyramid: 400/800/1200/1200/800/400
    Total with wu/cd: 9 mi (14.75 km)

Warmed up with a jog across the river to Irishtown. A dramatic start to the evening when some East Wall eejit boy racer did a handbrake turn and nearly lost control of his beamer as I was passing.

Tonight's session was a repeat of the session two weeks ago. I joined the third group again but the session seemed to be lacking a bit of intensity for some reason - or possibly I was feeling more at one with the pace. At least I wasn't hanging on to the end of the group this time, comfortably in the pack. Wasn't paying much attention to the splits (too dark) but realised later that results were pretty similar to last time.

1:31
    3:04
    4:56
    5:00
    3:19
    1:31

A less eventful return jog across to D3 to cool down.

WTD: 9 (15 km)
    MTD: 62 (100 km)
    YTD: 181 (292 km)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nice and consistent, Mr Consistent Sandbagger :)

Have you finally decided on Cork?

TbL

Nice and consistent, Mr Consistent Sandbagger :)

Have you finally decided on Cork?

TbL

Haven't committed but I'm starting to get in the mood. ;)

Weds 11 Feb

48 mins recovery 5.2 mi (8.3 km)

Gentle hobby jog along the seafront, with a diversion into the Alfie Byrne AstroTurf pitches for a gander. Legs a little tender today after Tues session which came quite soon after Sunday's steadyish long run.

Email from Cork re activating my deferral so I went ahead and registered. It's on. :D

• Advertisement

Murph, I think I've inadvertently rumbled our plot, I posted the message below in Mrs Murphs log.

Jebus Murph,

You told me you'd sort it!!! I see Mrs Murph is going to Cork too!

What am I gonna tell Amber and Ginger

TbL

You'll have to come up with some cover story and I'll tell Amber & Ginger we'll be ready for the Longford Ultra :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Murph, I think I've inadvertently rumbled our plot, I posted the message below in Mrs Murphs log.

Jebus Murph,

You told me you'd sort it!!! I see Mrs Murph is going to Cork too!

What am I gonna tell Amber and Ginger

TbL

You'll have to come up with some cover story and I'll tell Amber & Ginger we'll be ready for the Longford Ultra :)

TbL

As if yis would be fit for anything after an ultra!!!

annapr wrote: »
    As if yis would be fit for anything after an ultra!!!

Amber & Ginger said they'd luv us for a long time in Longford, I presumed they meant the Ultra ...

:)

TbL

How about Olga and Natalya? I keep seeing ads for Russian Brides since I clicked on that aul lad dating agency link you posted.

How about Olga and Natalya? I keep seeing ads for Russian Brides since I clicked on that aul lad dating agency link you posted.

Sounds good, I think Amber & Ginger were Homer and Ned Flanders "brides" in the Simpsons, seemed apt :)

TbL

Ah yes, the Vegas wives. I knew they sounded vaguely familiar!

500px-Amber_and_Ginger.PNG

Thu 12 Feb

Rest. Had tickets for a gig at the Olympia so pushed today's plod to tomorrow. Shoulda gone for the run. :pac:

Fri 13 Feb

Easy 3 mi (4.8 km)

Little treadmill run, followed by Pilates class. Slight improvement on last week but still less flexible than a scaffolding plank. Good to be doing it though - it used to be a bigger part of my routine.

WTD: 17 (28 km)
    MTD: 70 (113 km)
    YTD: 189 (305 km)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Interpol? Didn't enjoy it?

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Interpol? Didn't enjoy it?

Migraine-inducing light show.

• Advertisement

Sat 14 Feb

Easy 3.7 mi @ 9:10 (6 km @ 5:42) followed by
    St. Anne's parkrun 5 km in 23:07 (3.1 mi @ 7:26)

Turned down an opportunity to join FBOT01 and Ferris B for a few miles prior to this morning's parkrun as we had decided to bring the boys along to help do some stewarding, the missus having joined today's volunteer roster. In the end we did get them into their hi-viz gear and the car seats early enough for me to be able to jog the 6 km to the startline. aquinn came over to say hello and we had a little chat. I had thought I would do a PMP-ish kind of parkrun this morning, around 24:45, so I started towards the back and worked my way through the fairly sizeable field, passing Killerz pushing his twins in the first kilometer. Picked up the pace a little in the second km to compensate for the slowish start. Then Killerz caught up having gained momentum on the straight and we had a bit of a chat through to the halfway point, where he stopped to take off his jacket. I was surprised to hear the halfway split called at 12:10, and eased off a little in the first part of the second lap. By the 3km point I could hear the Killerzmobile trundling along, getting closer and closer, and despite picking it up again he'd caught me by 4kms and once we hit the long home straight again with 900m to go he put the hammer down and was gone. Slightly miffed at this, I picked it up myself and picked off a good few runners on the way in, including two women who were putting on a bit of a push themselves, egging each other on. They decided they weren't going to be taken by an aul lad and pushed ahead again, helping me to a fast finish as I put on a spurt in the last 200m to leave them behind, finishing in 23:07. aquinn arrived shortly after, nice run from her this morning.

So much for the PMP plan. It was all Killerz's fault. Afterwards I noticed he hadn't scanned his barcode so that means he's disqualified and I wasn't officially 'buggied'. :eek:

Joined my stewarding family and watched the rest of the field come in. The 4 year old was in good form, turning a few heads with his impressive swearing technique. He was very impressed with the other parkrun officials, especially FBOT01 and his clipboard. :)

WTD: 24 (39 km)
    MTD: 77 (124 km)
    YTD: 196 (316 km)

Sat 14 Feb

Easy 3.7 mi @ 9:10 (6 km @ 5:42) followed by
    St. Anne's parkrun 5 km in 23:07 (3.1 mi @ 7:26)

Turned down an opportunity to join FBOT01 and Ferris B for a few miles prior to this morning's parkrun as we had decided to bring the boys along to help do some stewarding, the missus having joined today's volunteer roster. In the end we did get them into their hi-viz gear and the car seats early enough for me to be able to jog the 6 km to the startline. aquinn came over to say hello and we had a little chat. I had thought I would do a PMP-ish kind of parkrun this morning, around 24:45, so I started towards the back and worked my way through the fairly sizeable field, passing Killerz pushing his twins in the first kilometer. Picked up the pace a little in the second km to compensate for the slowish start. Then Killerz caught up having gained momentum on the straight and we had a bit of a chat through to the halfway point, where he stopped to take off his jacket. I was surprised to hear the halfway split called at 12:10, and eased off a little in the first part of the second lap. By the 3km point I could hear the Killerzmobile trundling along, getting closer and closer, and despite picking it up again he'd caught me by 4kms and once we hit the long home straight again with 900m to go he put the hammer down and was gone. Slightly miffed at this, I picked it up myself and picked off a good few runners on the way in, including two women who were putting on a bit of a push themselves, egging each other on. They decided they weren't going to be taken by an aul lad and pushed ahead again, helping me to a fast finish as I put on a spurt in the last 200m to leave them behind, finishing in 23:07. aquinn arrived shortly after, nice run from her this morning.

So much for the PMP plan. It was all Killerz's fault. Afterwards I noticed he hadn't scanned his barcode so that means he's disqualified and I wasn't officially 'buggied'. :eek:

Joined my stewarding family and watched the rest of the field come in. The 4 year old was in good form, turning a few heads with his impressive swearing technique. He was very impressed with the other parkrun officials, especially FBOT01 and his clipboard. :)

WTD: 24 (39 km)
    MTD: 77 (124 km)
    YTD: 196 (316 km)

Good to see all the Murph Clan out this morn and lending a hand. Some great Volunteers you have there.

Don't worry Murph, we will sort Killerz result out and make sure his added to the results, after all he is Mr parkrun St Anne's.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Good to see all the Murph Clan out this morn and lending a hand. Some great Volunteers you have there.

Don't worry Murph, we will sort Killerz result out and make sure his added to the results, after all he is Mr parkrun St Anne's.

Indeed. He shouldn't be deprived of his debut buggy PB. He mentioned something about going for a sub-20 in the near future!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Honestly, have no idea where my barcode is - I think it is somewhere in the kit box. Happy to have my result added.... Sadie was first home of the Killeens though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Killerz wrote: »
    Honestly, have no idea where my barcode is - I think it is somewhere in the kit box. Happy to have my result added.... Sadie was first home of the Killeens though :)

So, Sadie won her age category :) I'm betting they were the fastest twins at any parkrun yesterday!

Sun 15 Feb

LSR 14.3 mi @ 8:34 (23 km @ 5:19)

Felt like a change of scenery so headed along the Grand Canal as far as Ballyfermot. Lovely morning to be out. Longest run since DCM, felt good to be doing it a brisk enough LSR clip for me.

WTD: 38 (62 km)
    MTD: 91 (147 km)
    YTD: 211 (339 km)

Sun 15 Feb

LSR 14.3 mi @ 8:34 (23 km @ 5:19)

Felt like a change of scenery so headed along the Grand Canal as far as Ballyfermot. Lovely morning to be out. Longest run since DCM, felt good to be doing it a brisk enough LSR clip for me.

WTD: 38 (62 km)
    MTD: 91 (147 km)
    YTD: 211 (339 km)

FairPlay Murph. You need to drop the "S" in those runs based on the last couple of weeks.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    FairPlay Murph. You need to drop the "S" in those runs based on the last couple of weeks.

Ha - they do feel a bit fast tbh but McMillan is giving me a range of 5:04 - 5:52/km for LSRs so I'm experimenting with the faster end of that for now. We'll see how successful that strategy is on the June Bank Holiday weekend. :pac:

Ha - they do feel a bit fast tbh but McMillan is giving me a range of 5:04 - 5:52/km for LSRs so I'm experimenting with the faster end of that for now. We'll see how successful that strategy is on the June Bank Holiday weekend. :pac:

I actually agree with you. I would be a fan of the LR rather than the LSR. P&D promote the LR as a key workout rather than a long slow plod, time on your feet type exercise.

• Advertisement

Tue 17 Feb

20 min Tempo with wu/cd Total: 5 mi @ 8:23 avg (8.1 km @ 5:12)

In the northwest for a couple of days which means missing the club session again. Headed out to the local 5 mile loop for a 20 min tempo after a brisk 10 min warmup. Was trying to hit about 4:42/km (7:34/mi) for this although the route is pretty undulaating so I expected it to be uneven. Covered 4.17 km in the 20 mins.

Splits: 4:36 4:37 4:43 5:05 (0:47) Avg. 4:48 :)

This felt pretty tough, has to be said. Was thinking about Tunguska's comments about pain control and tried to be in the moment, stay calm and feel the hurt. Calves, diaphragm, lungs all protesting but yes, I think I'm starting to see what he was getting at. Was delighted when the 20 mins were up all the same, and finished off with a 10 min cooldown shuffle home.

Wed 18 Feb

Recovery 4.1 mi @ 10:18 (6.6 km @ 6:24)

Pre-breakfast recovery run with Mrs M in Sligo, along the Garavogue River to Doorly Park and back to town. A really nice route, which takes in part of the recently established Sligo parkrun. Great start to the day. Right hamstring a little tight after last night's blowout but otherwise feeling grand.

WTD: 9 (15 km)
    MTD: 100 (161 km)
    YTD: 220 (354 km)

Advertisement