Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Murph_D wrote: »
    Tue 17 Feb

20 min Tempo with wu/cd Total: 5 mi @ 8:23 avg (8.1 km @ 5:12)

In the northwest for a couple of days which means missing the club session again. Headed out to the local 5 mile loop for a 20 min tempo after a brisk 10 min warmup. Was trying to hit about 4:42/km (7:34/mi) for this although the route is pretty undulaating so I expected it to be uneven. Covered 4.17 km in the 20 mins.

Splits: 4:36 4:37 4:43 5:05 (0:47) Avg. 4:42 :)

This felt pretty tough, has to be said. Was thinking about Tunguska's comments about pain control and tried to be in the moment, stay calm and feel the hurt. Calves, diaphragm, lungs all protesting but yes, I think I'm starting to see what he was getting at. Was delighted when the 20 mins were up all the same, and finished off with a 10 min cooldown shuffle home.

Wed 18 Feb

Recovery 4.1 mi @ 10:18 (6.6 km @ 6:24)

Pre-breakfast recovery run with Mrs M in Sligo, along the Garavogue River to Doorly Park and back to town. A really nice route, which takes in part of the recently established Sligo parkrun. Great start to the day. Right hamstring a little tight after last night's blowout but otherwise feeling grand.

WTD: 9 (15 km)
    MTD: 100 (161 km)
    YTD: 220 (354 km)

I would agree with Tunguska on his view that pain is in the mind and as such can be controlled/managed by it and secondly, that Tiger is a class apart when he is in the zone. I too would be a McElroy fan but if the Tiger was hungry he would eat him bones and all for breakfast:D

Nice Tempo run particularly on that route. A few nice climbs in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

With all your auld age ailments Murph you'd wanna learn that pain control thingy pretty sharpish :)

Nice session.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Thu 19 Feb

Easy 6.5 mi @ 9:03 (10.5 km @ 5:38)

Was not in the mood for this at all. Chose a new route to try to make it more interesting and wasn't thanking myself as I huffed and puffed up the hill into Finglas village. The downbeat flavour of this run was given a slightly surreal twist when I was passed on the Ballymun Road by a gent in a pinstripe jacket, trousers and street shoes. Thought he was running for a bus, but no, he ploughed on past the bus stop and out of sight. :pac: Glad when this one was over.

Fri 20 Feb

Rest. TbL flirted with an offer of date — tempting, but at the pace he was proposing I'd need to have a personal medical team in tow. :o

Sat 21 Feb

Hartstown parkrun: 5k @ 4:27 avg (7:10 / mi)

Although I feel a cold coming on I wanted to expand the parkrun horizons and headed out to Hartstown for some Crossmaglen running. :) Small and friendly event. Decided to aim for around 22:30 today. Did a couple of kms around the park before doing some group warmup exercises, a nice touch. Then without any fuss the RD counted down and the small field set off from wherever they were standing. Found myself towards the front of the field and decided to see how well I could hang on. Giant headphone guy passes on second corner, about 300m in, but after that there wasn't much movement. Pace felt fairly slow at this stage and I counted 16 runners in front. Passed one halfway through the 1st km, then a second just as the watch beeped 1km. Found myself behind headphone guy for a good while, with the next group of 3 or 4 a good 60m ahead. In the 3rd km headphone guy slows down a bit (the playlist might have switched to a slow set). He starts looking over his shoulder so I know I have him. He’s blowing hard as I pass as nonchalantly as I can near the end of the first loop, with about 1.7 km to go. By now the little group ahead has broken up and I’m gaining slowly. Two of them look like they might be age category rivals so I keep grinding away and closing the gap. Yellow Hat blows up in the 4th km, takes a walk break. He gets going again before I catch him but I have him now, passing on the 4k mark. Now I'm closing on Orange Hi-viz. I reckon I can get him in the last 800 but he’s been holding back a bit and kicks on nicely. By the final bend I know I won't catch him. Then with 150m to go I can hear footsteps coming up like a train behind. Manage to change up a little and stay in front through the line on 22:16. In my excitement I've overshot the funnel and the token guy, who probably assumes I'm still on lap one, gives token no. 13 to my fast-finishing rival. He sportingly hands it over and we shake hands. That was fun!

Total with wu/cd: 5.5 mi (9 km)

WTD: 21 (34 kms)
    MTD: 112 (181 kms)
    YTD: 232 (373 kms)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

World of difference for you in space of 2 days D, nice going on the parkrun.

Sat 22 Feb

LSR 16 mi @ 9:28 (25.8 km @ 5:52)

Probably should have known better than to run that parkrun hard yesterday with a 16 miler to do today, especially with a cold coming on and a tough enough midweek session done too. But the Jantastic target could not be ignored so against my better judgement I set out on the road to the Phoenix Park for a lap of the perimeter then home. The cold has developed nicely but as it's a head cold I decided I'd be OK. But There wasn't much life in the auld engine and his felt as hard as any LSR I’ve ever done. As hard as those first LSRs on the first marathon plan way back in 2012. :) But it’s done, and I might need that Jantastic joker another time. Maybe as soon as the coming week. :o

WTD: 37 (60 kms)
    MTD: 128 (207 kms)
    YTD: 248 (399 kms)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey Murph nice work at the parkrun! Take it easy, sounds like a right dose you have there, hopefully not the dreaded manflu though :eek:

Ha ha, hopefully just an aul man cold. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Nice run in Crossmaglen ;)
    Fri 20 Feb

Rest. TbL flirted with an offer of date

What a slut!
    Myself & yourself turned him down during the week and he still flaunted himself twice with two others.
    Poor Mrs TbL. Do those marriage vows mean nothing to him?? :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Runchick wrote: »
    Hey Murph nice work at the parkrun! Take it easy, sounds like a right dose you have there, hopefully not the dreaded manflu though :eek:

ah, he's grand ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Fri 20 Feb

Rest. TbL flirted with an offer of date — tempting, but at the pace he was proposing I'd need to have a personal medical team in tow. :o

For feck sake; you too? :(

• Advertisement

I could tell he was really only using me to get FBOT's phone number. :p

Tue 24 Feb

Club session: 6x800 w/75s standing recovery.

Not feeling particularly fresh, but headed down to the club for the Tues session. On the menu tonight was 6x800 with 75 sec standing recovery. By my standards I've been pushing it a bit the past two weeks so I'd already decided to take it handy enough tonight. Joined the usual third group for the first rep, but felt much too fast and I was struggling to keep up, so I took a longer recovery and did the rest of the session with the fourth group which was the right decision.

3:07 3:31 3:23 3:24 3:30 3:23

Not particularly consistent but considering these were on grass/mud the times are pretty good compared to the last set of 800s I did on the track, so pretty happy, especially as this felt relatively easy. I'll take it.

Total with WU/CD 8 mi (12.9 km)

WTD: 8(13 kms)
    MTD: 136 (219 kms)
    YTD: 256 (412 kms)

I could tell he was really only using me to get FBOT's phone number. :p

Ya could have called my bluff so :)

TbL

Ya could have called my bluff so :)

Sure I was washing my hair anyway. Honest.

Wed 25 Feb

50 mins recovery 5.3 mi @ 9:28 (8.5 km @ 5:53)

Very gentle trot out to the Bull wall. Balmy evening -- had to take off my base layer and hide it in one of the famous Clontarf palm trees and get it on the way back. Didn't risk losing the Waterford woolly hat though.

Thu 26 Feb

Easy 6.5 mi @ 9:23 (10.5 km @ 5:50)

Nice gentle few miles up to Santry from DCU and a lap of Ososlo park. No sightings.

Fri 27 Feb

Did a warmup mile on the treadmill before pilates class. Had missed last week's class and thought I might suffer as a result but it was fine and so far none of the DOMS that I had to deal with the last few weeks.

Sat 28 Feb

LSR 10 mi @ 9:00 (16.1 km @ 5:35)

Lovely morning for a slow run out to Dollymount beach and into St. Anne's for the parkrun. FBOT's black eye healing up nicely. :)

WTD: 31 (50 kms)
    MTD: 159 (256 kms)
    YTD: 279 (449 kms)

Sun 1 Mar

Djouce trails 4.7 mi @ 12:10 (7.5 km @ 7:34)

Joined the OH for a trail running debut in the company of aquinn, Bungy Girl, Dubgal72, adrian522 and Inigo. Very enjoyable outing in the muck and snow. Thanks to Dubgal and Bungy for the organisation/expert guidance. Look forward to another outing and I promise I'll bring my own flask of tea next time! One of the benefits of being the designated D3 driver was that we got all the leftover cake. :D

WTD: 36 (57 kms)
    MTD: 5 (8 kms)
    YTD: 283 (456 kms)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Sun 1 Mar

Djouce trails 5 mi @ 12:10 (8 km @ 7:34)

Joined the OH for a trail running debut in the company of aquinn, Bungy Girl, Dubgal72, adrian522 and Iniga. Very enjoyable outing in the muck and snow. Thanks to Dubgal and Bungy for the organisation/expert guidance. Look forward to another outing and I promise I'll bring my own flask of tea next time! One of the benefits of being the designated D3 driver was that we got all the leftover cake. :D

WTD: 36 (57 kms)
    MTD: 5 (8 kms)
    YTD: 283 (456 kms)
    Fyp :D Pleasure to meet you, see you next month and the best of luck in Bundoran!

5 it is so. Sure you couldn't trust a garmin in the woods anyway. :) And all the best next week in the smackdown Bohermeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

No smacking down for me in Ballycotton phew :D I am just baffled on the sidelines by this voting betting lark....

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    No smacking down for me in Ballycotton phew :D I am just baffled on the sidelines by this voting betting lark....

Oops, yes, and you were only telling me all this this morning. Senior moment. :o

• Advertisement

Tue 3 Mar

Progression 20E/20S/20M/10HM (20E)

With 13 weeks to go to Cork I decided to stick to the marathon plan rather than mix and match with the club session as I've been trying to do over the past few weeks. Once again I'm following the meno plan, which calls for a 90 min progression run today. Arranged to hook up with FBOT01 for the bulk of this session and after my 20 mins easy warm up there he was waiting promptly on Griffith Ave. We set off on a tour of the NE Dublin postal districts, 20 mins at my steady pace of 8:28/mi (5:16/km), then 20 mins at MP 8:06 (5:02) and 10 mins HMP 7:53 (4:54) before parting ways and I finished off with another 20 mins easy to cool down. Fair play to FBOT01 for coming out and keeping me company with plenty of chat. He barely broke a sweat while I was working hard for the last 10 mins of MP and especially the HMP section, which was a little under the planned pace partly due to an uphill finish. Really enjoyed the run and the company. He looks in good shape for Ballycotton.

Total 10.3 mi (16.6 km)

WTD: 10 (17 kms)
    MTD: 15 (25 kms)
    YTD: 294 (473 kms)

Tue 3 Mar

Progression 20E/20S/20M/10HM (20E)

With 13 weeks to go to Cork I decided to stick to the marathon plan rather than mix and match with the club session as I've been trying to do over the past few weeks. Once again I'm following the meno plan, which calls for a 90 min progression run today. Arranged to hook up with FBOT01 for the bulk of this session and after my 20 mins easy warm up there he was waiting promptly on Griffith Ave. We set off on a tour of the NE Dublin postal districts, 20 mins at my steady pace of 8:28/mi (5:16/km), then 20 mins at MP 8:06 (5:02) and 10 mins HMP 7:53 (4:54) before parting ways and I finished off with another 20 mins easy to cool down. Fair play to FBOT01 for coming out and keeping me company with plenty of chat. He barely broke a sweat while I was working hard for the last 10 mins of MP and especially the HMP section, which was a little under the planned pace partly due to an uphill finish. Really enjoyed the run and the company. He looks in good shape for Ballycotton.

Total 10.3 mi (16.6 km)

WTD: 10 (17 kms)
    MTD: 15 (25 kms)
    YTD: 294 (473 kms)

Nice to have that done and in the bank so far out from Cork Murph, Amber will be impressed with your stamina!

Fair fcuks to FBOT, was he given community service or something and he needs to run 20 hours with the elderly to get discharged :)

TbL

Only 20 hours? Couple of LSRs with me and he'll be off the hook. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Enjoyed the run and the company......and by my calculation the paces were spot on:)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the run and the company......and by my calculation the paces were spot on:)

But of course. Very happy with the pace! Especially on that route. Nice work dodging the traffic btw. :pac:

Any interest/availability from annpr & yourself Saturday week after the race to meet for few pints for Ireland v Wales 6 nations match, Dicey's in Ballyshannon a suggestion? No pressure understand kids maybe an issue.

tang1 wrote: »
    Any interest/availability from annpr & yourself Saturday week after the race to meet for few pints for Ireland v Wales 6 nations match, Dicey's in Ballyshannon a suggestion? No pressure understand kids maybe an issue.

Thanks a lot tang - will probably have to give that a miss and head up to the Killybegs area after the race as the babysitters will indeed be fried by then. :)
    How are you fixed yourself for the race anyway? Don't feel you have to hang back with me if you're in the mood to go for it!

Wed 4 Mar

45 mins recovery 4.4 mi (7 km)

Lunchtime recovery with the OH in the D11 vicinity. Legs grand after last night although the lungs are still sore from trying to keep up my end of the conversation. :)

No luck in the NYC lotto, as expected, so that simplifies the Autumn planning.

WTD: 15 (24 kms)
    MTD: 20 (32 kms)
    YTD: 298 (480 kms)

Thanks a lot tang - will probably have to give that a miss and head up to the Killybegs area after the race as the babysitters will indeed be fried by then. :)
    How are you fixed yourself for the race anyway? Don't feel you have to hang back with me if you're in the mood to go for it!

No bother, another time. On my current fitness i'll be very happy to break 80 mins & there is no sandbagging involved there, have lost alot more fitness than i thought. I might run 5 miles with you and let you push on if i can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

tang1 wrote: »
    No bother, another time. On my current fitness i'll be very happy to break 80 mins & there is no sandbagging involved there, have lost alot more fitness than i thought. I might run 5 miles with you and let you push on if i can.

Thanks Tang, the way it's looking we might be dragging the boys around the course with us :eek: look forward to meeting you on the day though

Advertisement