Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Thu 5 Mar

50 mins easy 5.8 mi @ 8:38 (9.3 km @ 5:22).

Was itching to run all afternoon after a trying morning but didn't get out till nearly 6. First run by myself in a whole week! But not a particularly enjoyable one. The back felt a little sensitive and I was wary of the concrete footpaths but at rush hour there wasn't much choice. Feels OK but need to watch that.

WTD: 20 (33 km)
    MTD: 25 (41 km)
    YTD: 304 (490 km)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Hate running on concrete footpaths, they really hammer the auld legs!

TbL

Hate running on concrete footpaths, they really hammer the auld legs!

TbL

Me too - one reason I like the Clontarf seafront so much. Hard to avoid the concrete in the big shmoke - I'm one of those people who likes to run on the tarmac road when possible but yes, this can be dangerous!

Fri 6 Mar

5km easy on the treadmill, followed by pilates class. Good session, although my flexibility is shocking. During one of the more challenging exercises an aul lad behind me farted loudly. After a discrete amount of time had elapsed I turned around to check and I'm sad to resport it wasn't TbL on one of his gassy ninja missions.

Sat 7 Mar

St. Anne's parkrun 5km in 23:00.

The idea was to try to do this at MP by feel (partly inspired by Dubgal's comments about Garmin-dependence). :) Failed miserably. Was a bit late to the start and missed FBOT's no-doubt inspiring peptalk as today's Run Director. Spent the first km working my way through the field, then having gotten a bit of room the second km was way too fast. But by then I was in a faster groove and more or less kept to 10k pace for the rest of the route. Very enjoyable run. Enjoyed meeting parkrun founder Paul Sinton-Hewitt afterwards - very nice bloke and I was impressed at the way he applauded the rest of the field home after finishing his own sub-20 run. Oh, and Killerz did his best to impress the boss by coming home first too.

Total with warmup and cooldown: 5.7 mi (7.2 km)

Sun 8 Mar

LSR 18 mi @ 9:09 (29 km @ 5:41)

Headed up to the Phoenix Park with annapr. The wind was against us most of the way up there via Drumcondra, the Royal Canal and Cabra which was pretty tough going. We parted ways at the Old Lamp Road and it was headwind for me all the way up to Castleknock. But it got better from then on and I really settled into the second half of the run and enjoyed this a lot. Even enjoyed turning back into the wind and up the Khyber. Rewarded myself by turning around and coming down. Covered a lot of the Park on this one before heading homewards along the NCR. Managed to pump out a sub-MP mile near the end which felt great.

A good week, feeling strong as the mileage starts to build up. Well done to everyone racing today, some great results out there.

WTD: 47 (76 km)
    MTD: 52 (84 km)
    YTD: 331 (533 km)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Yes but that doesn't mean you get to give up on running by feel just yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Murph_D wrote: »
    ..... Oh, and Killerz did his best to impress the boss by coming home first too.

Haha, i did wonder if my efforts impressed him :P

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Yes but that doesn't mean you get to give up on running by feel just yet :)

I tend to rely on the watch more at the beginning of a marathon training cycle as the MP is usually a little different to the previous one and it takes a while to bed in. I do find the watch useful in races for making sure not to start too fast and by the second half of the race I would be less reliant and just trying to hang on. But I agree with you completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey murph great training there! Cruising through a 23 min parkrun these days eh? :cool:

Runchick wrote: »
    Hey murph great training there! Cruising through a 23 min parkrun these days eh? :cool:

Thanks A - a 23m 5k is a good workout for me, definitely no cruise! Your own comeback seems to be going well so far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Thanks A - a 23m 5k is a good workout for me, definitely no cruise! Your own comeback seems to be going well so far. :)

Feels like 2 steps forward then one back but I'll take that for now...it'll be a long time before I can keep up with you in a half again!!

• Advertisement

Not at all. Age is on your side :)

Mon 9 Mar

Rest. A few laps of the pool and flaked out in the sauna/steamroom for the first time in ages. Felt good, until I got crowded out of the jacuzzi.

So... countdown to Bundoran 10 mile at the weekend. Will have to work the plan around it. My last 10-miler was the Frank Duffy 2014 and I see from last year's log I did 29km the Sunday before so that matches nicely. Suppose I'll follow a similar schedule as last time for the rest of the week, namely 6 miles easy tonight, 10 easy tomorrow, maybe throwing in a mile or two here and there at race pace. Then a couple of days off. Open to suggestions of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Mon 9 Mar

Rest. A few laps of the pool and flaked out in the sauna/steamroom for the first time in ages. Felt good, until I got crowded out of the jacuzzi.

So... countdown to Bundoran 10 mile at the weekend. Will have to work the plan around it. My last 10-miler was the Frank Duffy 2014 and I see from last year's log I did 29km the Sunday before so that matches nicely. Suppose I'll follow a similar schedule as last time for the rest of the week, namely 6 miles easy tonight, 10 easy tomorrow, maybe throwing in a mile or two here and there at race pace. Then a couple of days off. Open to suggestions of course...

Open to suggestions of course...

Be more assertive in the jacuzzi :)

Good luck with the 10 miler

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

What's the target for the 10 miler ? Is it hilly ?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    What's the target for the 10 miler ? Is it hilly ?

Course profile is pretty flat, considering it's Donegal. My target is 75-76 mins, something like that. Certainly sub 75 would be a big bonus, but the course is flat enough to go for it I think. Tang1 is doing it too so the idea is to set out together at 75 pace and see how we get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

That does look nice and flat! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Course profile is pretty flat, considering it's Donegal. My target is 75-76 mins, something like that. Certainly sub 75 would be a big bonus, but the course is flat enough to go for it I think. Tang1 is doing it too so the idea is to set out together at 75 pace and see how we get on.

Hey B you better watch out I think Murph lining you up as either the fall guy or the appetiser:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Hey B you better watch out I think Murph lining you up as either the fall guy or the appetiser:D

Just so its on record & i cant be called a blouse for not making it, there is no way i'll be near sub 75 mins Saturday afternoon, i'll do my upmost to stick with D for 5-6 miles but after that he'll be on his own i'm afraid & hopefully i wont be collapsing getting that far.

tang1 wrote: »
    Just so its on record & i cant be called a blouse for not making it, there is no way i'll be near sub 75 mins Saturday afternoon, i'll do my upmost to stick with D for 5-6 miles but after that he'll be on his own i'm afraid & hopefully i wont be collapsing getting that far.

Is this a coastal course or will you be bringing the sandbags from home, B?:P

Is this a coastal course or will you be bringing the sandbags from home, B?:P

Joking aside, i'm in terrible running shape, worse i've ever been & i'll be lucky to stay with D for 5-6 miles. Thats the honest truth and i wish i was sandbagging.

• Advertisement

Don't worry B - I know well enough what it's like coming back from injury so I won't be putting any pressure on. :)

Joking aside, i'm in terrible running shape, worse i've ever been & i'll be lucky to stay with D for 5-6 miles. Thats the honest truth and i wish i was sandbagging.

Yes B joking aside, take it handy and don't do any silly on Saturday. Just enjoy being back out there.

Tue 10 Mar

Easy 6.5 mi @ 9:06 (10.5 km @ 5:40)

Enjoyed this little "stadium jog" across town to D4, circling the Aviva Lansdowne before passing Croker (sort of) on the way home.

Wed 11 Mar

Easy 11 mi @ 8:57 (17.7 km @ 5:33)

Out along the Tolka and up the Canal to the M50 aquaduct, one of my favourite routes. Treated this as a sort of progression/regression run, mostly easy but going from the slow to fast end of the range before doing 2 kms at 10m pace, then easing back down again (practically to a stop, in fact). :P Comfortable run but the knees a bit sore after it.

WTD: 18 (28 kms)
    MTD: 70 (112 kms)
    YTD: 349 (561 kms)

Thu 12 Mar

>30 mins easy @ 9:07/mi (5:42/km)

WTD: 22 (34 kms)
    MTD: 74 (118 kms)
    YTD: 353 (567 kms)

See you in the morning D, i'll be sporting my usual shaved head, a Donadea 50k t-shirt(do some advertising for ultraman1) & yellow runners.

Good luck tomorrow, D. What does McMillan tell you the target is? As we will expect at least that :) ENJOY!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck on the weekend!

See you in the morning D, i'll be sporting my usual shaved head, a Donadea 50k t-shirt(do some advertising for ultraman1) & yellow runners.

Looking forward to it, B. I'll have the Crusaders vest on. Should be easy enough to spot as I think I'm the only one. Should be there about 20 mins before the start if you want to join for a warmup mile or so.

Good luck tomorrow, D. What does McMillan tell you the target is? As we will expect at least that :) ENJOY!!

Thanks Mark. Recent 5k and HM both say 75:43 so hope to shave a few seconds off that, if the wind plays ball of course :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Best of luck tomorrow Murph - enjoy!

Advertisement