Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Best of luck Murph!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Give it shtick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Best of luck, hope it all comes together today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sat 28 Mar

Omagh Half Marathon

I have a bit of a grá for this race as it’s the first HM I ever did, way back in the dark ages of 2013. That day I exceeded expectations and came home in 1:46:25, really enjoying the atmosphere and the lovely cuppa afterwards. Having lowered that time to 1:41:00 in Waterford before Christmas, I was hoping to go sub-100 mins today, which seemed reasonable after the good result in Bundoran a couple of weeks ago.

Going into today’s race I was conscious of not really recovering properly from that last race: doing a 20 miler last Sunday was hardly the ideal preparation and I’d been feeling tired during the week, as well as starting to develop a bit of a cough. Nothing too bad though, and I felt reasonably good this morning as the Mrs and I drove up to the Tyrone county capital. We arrived in good time and collected our numbers in time to relax for a half an hour before doing a little warmup and lining up outside the Leisure Centre with the other 4,000 or so entrants (there was a 5k option as well, which the Mrs was doing). The threatened rain had held off so far, but there was a fresh Westerly breeze that would keep me honest during the third quarter of the race.

As usual the start was pretty congested through the town centre, but I managed to hit the first mile a few seconds under the target pace of 7:34 (4:42 km). The field thinned out a little as the two separate races diverged, and I was going nice and steady over miles 2 and 3. The route was is undulating and I found myself struggling a little on some of the uphills, although I was going well on the downhill sections, something I know I’ll have to be able to do in Boston next year. But from mile 4 and 5 the fatigue started to set in. I was breathing well but there just wasn’t any life in the legs. At the halfway point a glance at the watch confirmed I was just under 50 mins but it didn’t feel like an even split would be on the cards.

The water stations, about every 5k or so, had cups only, so like in Berlin I opted for a walk-through strategy, just taking a sip and throwing the rest over my head. I had a couple of gels in the back pocket and was starting to feel like I needed one. Somewhere around the halfway point I pulled out the first one in anticipation of a water stop coming up but I’d badly miscalculated and ended up carrying it for a couple of miles. It was really annoying having it in my hand and I considered throwing it away before I ended up dropping it out of my sweaty mitts anyway. :o Sure enough a water station then appeared and I had to wrestle another one out, get my cup of water, stop and take a little break. Probably cost less than 20 seconds but it felt like the wheels were coming off. Not for the first time today I found myself reciting tunguska’s “Relax, I let you in” mantra, which did seem to help my discomfort but unfortunately it didn’t add any rocket fuel to my now rapidly declining pace. :) A long, draining section along the main road into the wind followed, before a welcome turn onto a downhill country road at the 10-mile mark. I remembered this section well from the last time out and thought I was running well here, although the odd glance at the watch confirmed that I was a couple of minutes down on the target after 11.5 miles. A quick bit of mental arithmetic suggested that I might at least have a chance at a small PB if I could hit the 12 mile marker around the 1:33 mark. No glasses today so I couldn’t tell if the watch was reading 1:33:01 or 1:33:59 but I managed to pick things up a little for the final mile which contains a nice downhill section through town before turning towards the finish line which is two thirds of a lap of the cinder track at the Leisure Centre. As we turned onto the track a steward called out “Only 600 meters to go” which caused a brief panic before another steward said “It’s only 400, ya eejit”. In reality it was probably 300m and another glance at the watch suggested I might still dip in under 1:41:00 so I tried to pick it up again, helped by the sight of the Mrs strategically placed about 100m from the finish with some well needed support for a final push through the line. Stopped the Garmin on 1:41:00 dead so hoping for another second when the official results come in (no idea when that might be). :mad:

So not too bad a result under the circumstances, but I’m glad to have it out of the way. Caught up with the Mrs, who unfortunately hadn’t fared too well in the congested 5k race. Headed into the gym for a very nice spread of tea, sambos and cakes and it was good to chat to Belcarra and Roisin afterwards before hitting the road back home.

Splits:
    7:29
    7:35
    7:15
    7:48
    7:37
    7:46
    7:45
    8:14 :eek:
    7:50
    7:49
    7:48
    7:59
    7:33
    (0:30)

Previous PB: 1:41:00 (Waterford 2014)
    Target: 1:39:xx
    Time 1:41:00
    Verdict: happy enough considering the build-up. :)

WTD: 26 mi (42 km)
    MTD: 167 (268)
    YTD: 446 (717)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

You did very well. Well done, especially with today's weather a brilliant result, never mind the drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done today Murphs!
    Tough out there with the wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Great result considering the conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Fingers crossed for the extra second back! Even so, equalling your PB in unfavourable weather conditions is no mean feat so well done and feet up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'm afraid they gave you the 1:41:00 (up on champion chip!!) though looking at some of the results of the top guys and girls, they were barely able to hold their MP there today. I'd say it bears well tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

You really are taking this sandbagging thing to a new level when you are taking breaks mid-race to stay under the radar...remind me never to play golf with you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

PS good solid run on a tough day.....onwards to Cork:pac::pac:

Thanks meno.

Fair enough - didn't deserve a PB today, but I'll take what I got.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    You really are taking this sandbagging thing to a new level when you are taking breaks mid-race to stay under the radar...remind me never to play golf with you :D

My golf is even worse. Only broke 90 once in my life. Your money would be safe. Especially with the bad back. And no sleep last night. Plus someone robbed my clubs so I had to borrow these auld yokes. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Super running murph on a tough windy day, you should be delighted with that effort :D

Sorry things didn't go according to plan Murph. Do you think you are still fighting whatever it was that was trying to get you during the week? Still, 1:41:00 on a bad day can't be all that bad can it?!

Runchick wrote: »
    Super running murph on a tough windy day, you should be delighted with that effort :D

Like many things in life, it already looks better with a bit of hindsight. :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Sorry things didn't go according to plan Murph. Do you think you are still fighting whatever it was that was trying to get you during the week? Still, 1:41:00 on a bad day can't be all that bad can it?!

I think I was just tired from a 50 mile week immediately following a 10-mile race. Recovery takes longer for "mature" runners :). Should have changed last Sunday's LSR to 14 instead of 20 miles, but then again the Jantastic goals would not have been met and that would have been, eh, upsetting. Having said that the conditions were quite difficult so yes, the time is very acceptable. At the end of the day too this was not a goal race, hence the poor prep. Good learning experience though - because it was run on tired legs it felt more like the second half of a marathon, as tough a finishing few miles as I've experienced and that should help the next time the HTFU is needed.

Sun 29 Mar

30 mins recovery 3 mi @ 10:44 (4.8 km @ 6:40)

Gentle recovery shuffle, joined by Anna in the middle of her LSR. Good way of making her slow down the long runs. :) Made sure to do this near the DCU Sports Centre and followed the run with a few laps of the pool and a circuit of the sauna steamroom, and jacuzzi. Good way to end a difficult week.

WTD: 29 mi (47 km)
    MTD: 170 (273)
    YTD: 449 (722)

Tue 31 Mar

8.2 mi @ 8:39 (13.25 km @ 5:23)

Club session tonight. Once again I thought some people would be doing an easy run what with the amount of racing at the weekend. But this didn't seem to be the case, and I found myself drifting towards the usual middle group for the "grass track" session in Irishtown Park. The session was announced: 400/800/1200/800/400, which always seems to be on the menu every time I show up on a Tuesday night (which has not been very regularly, and I wish it was). I didn't want to do this in recovery mode after the weekend so I joined the beginners group thinking they would be doing an easy canter around the edges but as it happened the coach was putting us through a 3km time trial so I did that without overstretching myself but still with a bit of pride. Enjoyed it immensely of course.

Following the session marthastew and Joe had arranged a demonstration of CPR and defibrillator technique so I went along to that and tried to absorb as much of it as I could. They'd laid on some dummies to practice on so we all had a go. Hopefully I'll never have to put the knowledge into practice but I know a good deal more now than I did before about what to do if someone has a cardiac event in my presence. Hats off to Olwyn and Joe for organising this, it would do your heart good, if you'll pardon the truly dreadful pun.

WTD: 8 mi (13 kms)
    MTD: 178 (286)
    YTD: 457 (735)

Wed 1 Apr

>60 mins easy

Pleasant hour of easy running on the Phoenix Park trails with the missus. Was only supposed to be 50 mins but we managed to get a bit disoriented and took the long way back to the car.

WTD: 14 mi (23 kms)
    MTD: 6 (10)
    YTD: 463 (745)

Thu 2 Apr

Normally run on a Thurs and rest Friday but with the social trail run tomorrow I switched things around. Unfortunately....

Fri 3 Apr

...Woke up in the middle of the night feeling very nauseous and feared I was coming down with the winter vomiting bug that's been visiting our house over the past few days. So no trail run for me today. At least I had some home baked Easter Buns to console me. Spent the day lounging at home, and luckily things didn't get any worse although the energy levels were very low.

Sat 4 Apr

Parkrun 5k (22:29)

After a very good night's sleep I bounded out of bed and decided to get right back up on the horse. Headed for St. Anne's and said hello to a few regulars, as well as a couple of visiting Cru members. Someone shouted a hello as I was doing my warmup - thought it might have been laura_ac3 but didn't have my glasses on so wasn't sure. Didn't see anyone around later so still a mystery. ;)

Chatted to Ferris B on the way to the start line and he said he'd be doing 7:30 pace. My own thinking was MP (4:56/km) which is closer to 8:00 so I let him go ahead. As it happened I started a bit faster than planned and felt much more comfortable than expected so I had Ferris in sight for the whole 5k and considered a cheeky pass in the final 200m, but one of the volunteers shouted my name just as I was sneaking up on him and I was rumbled. :)

Garmin measured 4.9km today: splits 4:44 4:36 4:47 4:46 (4:10)

WTD: 18 mi (29 kms)
    MTD: 10 (16)
    YTD: 467 (751)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Yup that was me. I was only passing by homeward bound on my own run. Similarly, I was sans glasses but thought it was you so worth a shout.

Nice consistency on the splits, glad to hear you haven't been stricken with the dose.

Mon 6 Apr

~ 50 mins easy 5 mi (8 km)

After feeling good on Sat, I soon discovered that the tummy bug hadn't gone away and the planned Sunday 18 miler wasn't on. Hoped to do it today instead and judging how I felt on this easy 5 mile loop in Donegal, in glorious sunshine, I was glad I didn't try anything more ambitious as I would probably have returned home early with my tail between my legs. :)

So I'll just bin that 18 miler and move on.

WTD: 5 mi (8 kms)
    MTD: 15 (24)
    YTD: 472 (759)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Hey Murph, I've been following your training log since the Waterford AC half last December cos we ran a pretty similar time. What time are you aiming for in Cork. That my goal race this training session and I was wondering if we're heading for a similar result again!! I do find your log very helpful. While it's great to read how the fast folk do it, it's also nice to follow people of similar standard.

Hi dintbo. Thanks - haven't finalised Cork target yet, but hopefully something in 3:25-3:29 range. You?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hi dintbo. Thanks - haven't finalised Cork target yet, but hopefully something in 3:25-3:29 range. You?

Not too sure yet. I've been running my mp miles around 8.00 min/mile or there abouts so I reckon 3.30ish could be on the cards if I have a good day. My better half's dad was a runner in his day and had a marathon pb of 3.37 so that's a decent b target.

Tue 7 Apr

54mins easy 6 mi (9.7 km)

What a glorious evening for a run - and what a horrible way to run, doubled up with a stitch despite the very easy pace. Just not feeling the best at the moment. Bumped into Ferris B and joined him for a mile or so, which distracted me from the discomfort at least. Finally started to feel OK towards the end of this, but probably should have stayed at home.

Wed 8 Apr

4x2m repeats at HMP (800m jog recovery)

Well naturally I was not feeling confident going into this after yesterday. Considered downgrading the session to MP, as it's a few days too early if I'm in strict aul man recovery mode, but I set the watch with a plus or minus 15 seconds margin of error and headed out to the seafront, where the fresh headwind during the warmup dented the confidence even further. On the first 2 mile rep I just tried to get a feel for the pace, keeping the effort constant into the wind. Felt better than I'd hoped. Second rep was tougher out by the most exposed parts of Bayside/Sutton. Was really looking forward to turning around for the homeward reps but as usual the wind didn't seem to be playing ball, more a crosswind than the tailwind I was expecting, so the effort levels couldn't drop as much as I would have liked. Really needed those 800m recoveries.

Target pace was 7:32, which I didn't manage: 7:33 7:47 7:37 7:43 (pace per 2m rep) - Avg 7:40

I'll take that under the circumstances and conditions - it was actually a shade faster than my recent HM so that'll do. In fact I'm focking delighted with that session to be honest, if I can allow myself a little slap on the back. :) Was wiped after it - felt I was bonking during the cooldown so cut it a little short and treated myself to a Lucozade and a Snickers. :o

Total miles: 13.3 (21.4 km). This really felt like a marathon session. Less than 8 weeks to go. :cool:

WTD: 24 mi (39 kms)
    MTD: 34 (55)
    YTD: 491 (790)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I'll take that under the circumstances and conditions - it was actually a shade faster than my recent HM so that'll do. In fact I'm focking delighted with that session to be honest, if I can allow myself a little slap on the back. :) Was wiped after it - felt I was bonking during the cooldown so cut it a little short and treated myself to a Lucozade and a Snickers. :o

This really felt like a marathon Snickers session:D. Less than 8 weeks to go. :cool:

WTD: 24 mi (39 kms)
    MTD: 34 (55)
    YTD: 491 (790)
    FYP.
    Sending a big virtual slap on the back to ya Murph:). Great session!

+1 to Os, I was reading it and going 'FOUR? :eek: by TWO? :eek: miles...with :eek: only how much recovery?? Ouch'. Nice going, auld sick man :)

Ha ha. Ignorance is bliss. Just following the plan. But sure if the recoveries were longer I'd have been out all night! :) Mind you it went better than the last time I did this particular session, 18 months ago, (when I were a mere lad).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

. In fact I'm focking delighted with that session to be honest,

And so you should be. Nice work

Advertisement