Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nice session this evening, good to hit the paces, you probably had to work harder to hit those then you would have on a less windy day. Good session to have in the bank I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I presume hers was showing slower pace than yours ;)

Indeed it was. How did you guess? :)
    Nice one to put in the bag as a midweeker. Did you feel the benefit of the stepback week? Have you got one or two more long runs left? When does taper kick off?

Well I can't say I feel full of beans this week as a result of taking it easy last week. But I am hitting the pace runs more consistently than in previous cycles, I feel. So stronger in general I think. Being injury free for more than a year now is probably helping, and making the most of it by running 5 times a week through the winter. I have a more relaxed attitude to CCM than previous marathons too - not sure why, probably cos it's in Cork! :p

22 miler this weekend, another the following, then another tough midweeker (14@MP, cold start) before the 2 and a half week taper.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Nice session this evening, good to hit the paces, you probably had to work harder to hit those then you would have on a less windy day. Good session to have in the bank I'd say.

Thanks A, definitely felt the wind alright. Is it just me or is it windier than normal this year? Felt great to know the last 3 miles would be (mostly) downwind though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Murph_D wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it windier than normal this year?

Hell yeah it's windier!

Thu 30 Apr

40 mins recovery 4 mi (6.4 km)

Felt like I'd been hit by a ton of bricks this morning after yesterday's session. But managed a few kms on the treadmill later in the afternoon. Apr total: 179 mi (289 km)

Fri 1 May

Rest. While idling away the time, I discovered my recent Poppintree parkrun's been upgraded to 8th finisher in 21:55, only 6 secs off the PB. I'll take that. :)

Sat 2 May

Easy 5 mi (8km)

After getting a good soaking scanning barcodes at St. Anne's parkrun I managed to get out later for a few nice wet miles around the IFSC and East Wall area. really enjoyed it, even if it meant another good soak.

Big 10 days ahead now, 90-100 miles before the taper, starting with a hilly 22-miler tomorrow in Donegal. Hope the auld frame holds together.

WTD: 35 mi (56kms)
    MTD: 5 (8)
    YTD: 641 (1,031)

• Advertisement

Sun 3 May

LSR 22.1 mi @ 9:18 (35.5 km @ 5:47)

Bloody hell. I wanted a hilly route, and knew this would not be easy, but I think I managed to pick the hilliest 22 road miles possible around the Donegal base. Did the first five miles with the mrs so she's getting plenty of climbing in too.

hills.jpg

57 miles for the week is the most I've ever done I think - how do you P&D 70 followers find the time? Weather much better than expected, mix of sunshine and a few showers (actually one of the showers was very heavy) but plenty of time on this one to dry out! Only downside to the run was the amount of holiday weekend traffic, much more than usual around here, and some of these eejits in their jeeps seem to think a runner's place is in the ditch. Slow down, a@*hole!

WTD: 57 mi (92 kms)
    MTD: 27 (44)
    YTD: 663 (1,067)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Epic Run. You start tapering soon?

Epic Run. You start tapering soon?

Thanks A. The plan has a 2.5 week taper, starting in another week and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done today D. Training going really well for you this cycle.Hopefully it continues in same vein with nice result in Cork.

Mon 4 May

Rest. Very sore quads after the hilly long run, might have overdone it...

Tue 5 May

5.2 mi @ 9:11 (8.3 km @ 5:42)

Recovery run mostly on grass as usual, on the Clontarf seafront. Nearly took a dive when a dog got under my feet while chasing his buddy. The mutt got a bigger fright than I did, but luckily no damage to either of us. Quads a little better today. Enjoyed the run and hopefully will feel a bit looser after the little shakeout. Might tone down tomorrow's session if still feeling a bit fragile.

WTD: 5 mi (8 kms)
    MTD: 32 (52)
    YTD: 668 (1,075)

• Advertisement

Wed 6 May

WU / 10 mi @ MP±3% / CD

Despite my initial trepidation, the legs felt fine before this, so headed out from DCU on the Blanchardstown loop route I'd used a couple of weeks ago. The session was 10 miles at marathon pace plus or minus 3% so that meant alternating miles at around 7:42 and 8:12 pace. I'd read this wrong and set it up in 2 mile blocks but I don't think that makes much difference (split the fifth block in half running the first one at the faster pace).

Splits:
    7:38 7:58
    8:11 8:11
    7:42 7:38
    8:11 8:11
    7:38 8:16

So apart from the second mile, where I had to faff around a couple of roundabouts and park gates, this looks pretty good. It was hard, due to lingering tiredness and windy enough conditions, but pleasantly hard. I'm happy with it. Two mile warmup and two more to cool down for a total of 14 miles in a few mins under two hours. Will try to get a short swim in tomorrow to help with recovery.

WTD: 19 mi (31 kms)
    MTD: 46 (74)
    YTD: 682 (1,098)

Thu 7 May

40 mins recovery @ 9:20 (5:48/km)

Seafront shuffle time. Nice, but it could've been slower. Legs a little fragile but all good, considering.

Fri 8 May

Easy 6 mi @ 8:58 (9.7 km @ 5:34)

Nice run from DCU along Griffith Ave and up the long hill to Santry Demense. Enjoyed being faster than the rush hour traffic. Think I exchanged greetings with Ososlo's friendly old gent. Then a few lengths of the pool and a sauna and jacuzzi - all before breakfast. Day off tomorrow then another 22 on Sun.

WTD: 29mi (47 kms)
    MTD: 57 (91)
    YTD: 693 (1,114)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice run from DCU along Griffith Ave and up the long hill to Santry Demense. Enjoyed being faster than the rush hour traffic. Think I exchanged greetings with Ososlo's friendly old gent. Then a few lengths of the pool and a sauna and jacuzzi - all before breakfast. Day off tomorrow then another 22 on Sun.

which one? There are about 4 at the moment:D

I often look out for you in the Demesne but you only seem to run there Thursdays and Fridays I think. I only get out after 6 on both those days. Someday....

Is Sunday your last long run then?

Ososlo wrote: »
    which one? There are about 4 at the moment:D

I often look out for you in the Demesne but you only seem to run there Thursdays and Fridays I think. I only get out after 6 on both those days. Someday....

Yeah, my Demesne visits are quite random, depends on the mood. I like variety and often change my mind where I'm going while I'm still going there. :)

The old guy was wearing a black coat and walking quite briskly. Big smile, big hello. He had grey hair, and plenty of it, like meself. :pac:

Is Sunday your last long run then?

Yep. Only 16 the following Sun, then 12, then 26.2. :pac:

Sat 9 May

Rest. More parkrun duty, where I had the pleasure of witnessing Killerz, FBOT01, Mrs. Mc and yaboya1 in action this morning, most of them getting in some pacing duties.

Sun 10 May

10 E, 10 MP, 2 CD
    22 mi @ 8:31 avg (35.4km @ 5:17)

Over three hours on the feet on a grand tour of Dublin incorporating the north, south, east and west sides. The first 10 easy miles were very pleasant until I almost "became a real runner" but luckily I was in the vicinity of the excellent facilities at Clontarf Castle when the call came. As a result of this unscheduled pitstop I was a few minutes late meeting up with FBOT01 who had kindly agreed to join me for the second half of the run. Eased into marathon pace up Griffith Avenue and I took M on a tour of the Tolka Valley and the Royal Canal, taking in a little bit of the Phoenix Park while we were at it. The miles just flew by with FBOT full of chat as usual :). Felt good for most of this but started to tire a lot towards the end and when we parted ways in Fairview Park it was like the rubber band had snapped and I shuffled another few km's through Marino and home. An excellent run though, and enjoyed the company as always.

So that's the final really long one out of the way with three weeks to go before the big day.

WTD: 51mi (83 kms)
    MTD: 79 (126)
    YTD: 715 (1,150)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

That's a super run murph, you're in great shape for Cork!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Whoops. Looks like I might have been chatting too much on a couple of those miles and distracted you from the job at hand :)

Just for the rest of the readers, he was talking as much as me and was moving well throughout his MP miles.....Murph is indeed in great shape :D

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Whoops. Looks like I might have been chatting too much on a couple of those miles and distracted you from the job at hand :)

Just for the rest of the readers, he was talking as much as me and was moving well throughout his MP miles.....Murph is indeed in great shape :D

Not at all - if you're talking about the pace, I was very happy with it - we lost a few seconds at all those busy road crossings and a couple of the hills but apart from that it looks good to me. A few secs over maybe but that's is as close as I've ever come to actual MP on that kind of run I think. 3 weeks out from Berlin last year I struggled to keep 8:37 pace (MP was 8:17) so a shade over 8 is great progress for me! The distraction is a big help. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Nice session Murph - good confidence booster. Will you do the 14 mp during the week?

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Nice session Murph - good confidence booster. Will you do the 14 mp during the week?

Thanks - I will indeed. It's a key session I think. How did you get on with it yourself?

Mon 11 May

Recovery ~30 mins

Slow plod around Albert College Park and the neighbouring Hempstead grounds, which contain a nursing home, appropriately enough. Didn't feel too bad but there was nothing in the legs after the weekend.

Tue 12 May

50 mins easy

This was better, everything feeling much livelier. Beautiful evening to be on the seafront, where I crossed paths with Ferris B and exchanged a wave.

Wed 13 May

MP Session: 14 mi @ 7:56 (22.4 km @ 4:56)

This is probably the key session in the whole plan and I was very happy to get through it feeling strong. I remember having to really grind this one out last September but today, on the exact same route and in similar sunny and warm conditions, I was totally on top of the pace from the beginning. It felt comfortable, then comfortably hard, then harder again, the way it's supposed to be. Finished strongly despite having to climb up Mobhi Road for the last 500m. It's coming together I think, especially over the last two weeks.

Splits (mi): (target 7:57)

7:51 7:51 8:04 8:04 7:53
    8:04 7:51 8:02 7:59 8:10
    7:50 7:45 7:48 7:16

(Last 'mile' was only .92 mile due to km/mi conversion error) :p

5km splits (target 24:45)

24:36 24:57 24:45 24:25 (11:45)

So compared to the Berlin build-up, the new MP feels more comfortable than it did last time out, although as I was discussing with FBOT at the weekend, it still has to go right on the day to get the benefit. :)

WTD: 24mi (38 kms)
    MTD: 102 (165)
    YTD: 738 (1,188)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great stuff Murph.
    Looking good for the big day. Hoping to get down there and give you a bit of support. Hope all goes well on the run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Would agree it's a key session & it's a nice one to have nailed - now some taper time! (It was the only session I missed in the 17 weeks as I was sick).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great stuff Murph, glad to see the old 'meno plan' is still getting a runout. Just goes to show any eejit can come up with a plan that works :pac:

Anything you have done different this time? A few more easy miles through the week I think? I notice you are now generally running 6 times a week no?

PS if you are racing Terenure this weekend, forget about the long run. I am pretty sure I gave the option 2 weeks out of either a long run or a race but there is certainly no need for both.

Great Session there alright.

Is this plan posted anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Great stuff Murph.
    Looking good for the big day. Hoping to get down there and give you a bit of support. Hope all goes well on the run in.

Hey P, make sure you position yourself well at the 40km mark and bring the lighter for his cigar :cool:

Great Session there alright.

Is this plan posted anywhere?

I keep a version here - Just noticed the comments/instructions are missing for the final three weeks. Must fix that.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great stuff Murph, glad to see the old 'meno plan' is still getting a runout. Just goes to show any eejit can come up with a plan that works :pac:

Anything you have done different this time? A few more easy miles through the week I think? I notice you are now generally running 6 times a week no?

PS if you are racing Terenure this weekend, forget about the long run. I am pretty sure I gave the option 2 weeks out of either a long run or a race but there is certainly no need for both.

The plan seems to suit me alright, although I'll probably try something different next time out just for a bit of variety.

Don't think I've done things much differently this time. Mileage is about the same, averaging 40 or so over the last 15 weeks, pretty much the same as last time (aiming for the max end of the range you specified). I think i've been doing about the same number of easy miles but you're right, I've been getting more six day weeks in than last time, so i guess some of those easy runs are shorter. The long runs have been done a bit faster than last time I think, but I'm pretty careful about keeping within the McMillan range - just more to the faster end maybe). The big difference this time is that I've run through the winter without any injury breaks!

Yep, the plan says race or long run so will be doing Terenure and binning the 16-miler. Haven't done a race at this stage of a marathon cycle before so that will be interesting. I can't see myself going all out but I'll try to knock a bit off the PB, which is 36:47 at the moment....

Looking forward to it - there'll be 65 Cru racing, apparently.

Advertisement