Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Would agree it's a key session & it's a nice one to have nailed - now some taper time! (It was the only session I missed in the 17 weeks as I was sick).

Well missing that one doesn't seem to have done you any harm!

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Great stuff Murph.
    Looking good for the big day. Hoping to get down there and give you a bit of support. Hope all goes well on the run in.

Entry still open, P. You could always run it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great session there D, a great confidence builder to finish on before taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Brilliant session D. All coming together nicely!:)

Sat 16 May

Easy 2 mi @ 9:05 (3.2 km @ 5:39)

Just a couple of miles to keep things ticking over before tomorrow's race.

Sun 17 May

Terenure 5 Mile

5 Mi @ 7:02 (8 km @ 4:22)

The aim was just to have a good blowout before Cork, taking something off the PB of 36:47 set during the Race Series last year. Going in I thought sub-36 would be a good result, and after some dithering I decided to follow the 35 min pacers and try to hang on. Lined up just behind them, and after a quick hello to Ferris B, belcarra and Bungy Girl on the start line, the gun went off bang on time and away we went. Tucked in about 10m behind the pacers and the first downhill mile felt really comfortable, despite 7 min pace being off the charts for me (ahead of 5k pace, in fact). Was impressed with Bungy Girl's ability to stick with the pacers, and to withstand the balloons bouncing merrily against her face. :). The pace stopped feeling easy in Miles 2 and 3 on the drag up to KCR and then on to the next roundabout, before the route levelled off then downhill again as we completed the big lap just before the 3 mile marker. The pacers were laying down a very even pace, and things were still looking OK. A welcome shout from FBOT01 here, and then I noticed BG had fallen back a little, no longer in the pacers' shadow. I pulled slightly ahead of her here, trying to say something encouraging, and I could tell she was getting her mojo back heading back downhill again on the lovely Templeogue Road surface. Rounding the corner again I started to flag and BG pulled ahead again. The 35 group was dispersing by now and the pacers were starting to drift away. Just like last year, I started to dry retch just past the 4 mile mark as things started to fall apart. It would be a long mile to the finish, but I did my best to stay close to BG and passed a few blowups on the drag before KCR and at last there was the final turn, with about 800m to go. By now any chance of sub-35 was gone but I just tried to keep it together as the dry heaves continued. Another shout from FBOT01 with about 200m left. Felt like I was going backwards here and fairly stumbled over the line, stopping the watch at 35:09. Official result confirmed later at 35:08.

Splits: 7:03 7:00 6:54 6:58 7:14

Not disappointed at all with that although I probably should be, and probably should have been able to grit it out and not let the pacers get away. The 7:14 final mile just wasn't good enough, but the retching suggests I was done. :o But it's a big slice off the PB and coming where it is 15 weeks into a marathon plan I can't complain at all with the result. Great to meet loads of boardsies afterwards for tea and biscuits in the hall; almost everyone seemed happy with their performance. Well done to all the Sportsworld crew for an impeccably organised race. And thanks to aquinn for the lift over to Terenure!

Previous PB: 36:47
    Target: < 35:00
    Result: 35:08 258th place; 9th in M50 category.
    Verdict: Good result, but the racecraft was a little lacking!

WTD: 35 mi (56 km)
    MTD: 113 (182)
    YTD: 744 (1,205)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

That's a big PB for an end of marathon plan. Another indicator of just how well things are lining up for you. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ah well done, great slice off! Good work aul fella :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Well done, D. No reason to be disappointed....eyes on the prize. It is all about Cork. Nice to get a bonus PB on route!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Well done Murph! A cracking run and I'm sure there will be more to come off that when you've recovered from marathon training and Cork. Looking good right now!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Not a bad way to be - disappointed but still with a chunk off the PB!! Plenty of more to come off that, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Nice running Murph - nice booster ahead of CCM, and you're sure to knock a fair bit off that and off 5k/ 5m/ 10k PB's you may choose to challenge post-marathon.

Mon 18 May

Recovery 5 mi (8 km) @ ?

Five slow laps of the Albert College Park at a leisurely pace. A bit tender but everything still seems to be working. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done on the pb Murph.
    I think the cigar smoking in the finishing straight is probably what's causing you to go slightly slower than expected? Maybe wait until after the race in Cork? :D

The only thing smoking yesterday was my ears!

Congrats on the PB Murph. Nice confidence booster ahead of Cork!

Definitely a heel striker then.

17597533920_4d3e88f566_z_d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

You were just putting the brakes on at the finish line sher! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Sandbagging again and not bothered to run through the line :P

Tue 19 May

Rest

Weds 20 May

Easy 4.6 mi @ 9:51 (7.4 km @ 6:07)

Just went out for a very easy few late evening miles following a visit earlier in the day to ecoli for the customary pre-marathon rubdown. He did a bit of work on a muscle in the left hip area (where I've been experiencing some cramping following long runs or hard efforts over the past few months) and a bit of loosening of the calves/hamstrings. All is well.

Thu 21 May

WU/8MP/CD

Final session of any note. Headed out the seafront and up through St. Anne's to Raheny and back. Warm and sunny with some wind, and the drag up the St. Anne's avenue to contend with as well.

7:53 7:59 7:49 7:42 7:50 7:52 8:10 7:44

Had to get the finger out after struggling a bit against the wind towards the end, dialing up the pace through the final mile to finish quite hard, trying to visualise the last stretch of the 26.2. :) Very happy with that, considering I've found this session quite difficult in previous cycles, while adjusting to the taper.

WTD: 20 mi (32 km)
    MTD: 134 (215)
    YTD: 765 (1,238)

Oops, just realised I did that 10 miles in two odd shoes. #seniormoment

• Advertisement

Fri 22 May

Recovery 50 mins

Out and back with the Mrs to the Bull Wall. Very warm morning. Then off to the polls.

Sat 23 May

Rest. Feels really odd not be running today. Taper starting to bite.

Sun 24 May

12 easy @ 8:55 avg (19.3k @ 5:32)

Finally made it to one of the Sunday morning club runs, having made sure yesterday there'd be someone up for 9 min pace (the rest of them hared off at more like 8 min pace). Nice to have the company for the final LSR of the cycle, chatting the whole way round, favouring the trails. Picked it up to finish down the Chesterfield trail just over 7 min pace, which felt absolutely fantastic. Would be nice to finish like that down Patrick St. next week!

WTD: 37 mi (59 km)
    MTD: 151 (242)
    YTD: 782 (1,266)

Mon 25 May

Recovery 30 mins along the seafront.

Tue 26 May

Easy 2 mi @ 9:40 (3.2 km @ 6:00)

On the treadmill. Hardly seemed worth going outside. :)

Wed 27 May

5 with 3 @ MP

Final session of the plan. A mile warmup, then 3 miles at MP along the seafront, two downwind and one into a 23kph headwind. Final mile was quite challenging so hopefully it won't be blowing too hard down in Cork.

7:46 7:56 7:51

Good to be outside on National Senior Fitness Day. Hope the other aul lads and lassies around here followed suit.

WTD: 10 mi (16 km)
    MTD: 161 (259)
    YTD: 792 (1,282)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck in Cork Murph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck on Monday D hope it all goes well for ya !

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Best of luck on Monday D hope it all goes well for ya !
    kit3 wrote: »
    Best of luck in Cork Murph

Ah here, it's not even Friday yet! Still have a couple of runouts to do. But thanks!

I'll get my good wishes out of the way early too!

Best of luck on Monday D. Your preparation has been excellent so I'm in no doubt you will do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

All the best for Monday D, great prep, go enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck Monday D, hope all goes well for you

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Best of luck Monday Murph

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Good luck on Monday murph :)

Advertisement