Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Maybe you could sail us to Spain, Aquinn, there again after last weekend...

TbL

Might have to look in to that option given Iberia have changed my schedule so that I now land in Madrid 30 mins after my connection to San Seb has departed - genius - on the plus side they now have a total expected travel time of 3 hours :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Wed 15 Jul

40 mins recovery.

Enjoyable shakeout on the seafront. Hit 1,000 miles for the year somewhere near Fairview Park, appropriately enough.

Thu 16 Jul

40 mins slow

Some of my colleagues were heading for a beer but I behaved and did a few laps of Albert College Park instead around 8pm - place deserted except me, a couple of football teams training and a dog walker. Love running in the rain (in summer anyway). Glad I discarded the treadmill option.

WTD: 22 mi (36 km)
    MTD: 85 (137)
    YTD: 1,005 (1,616)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Assume you doing Fingal 10k tomorrow, D. Good luck and ENJOY!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Assume you doing Fingal 10k tomorrow, D. Good luck and ENJOY!!

+1, best of luck D.

• Advertisement

Sat 18 Jul

Easy 4.5 km (2.8m).

A couple of easy miles on the seafront before Sunday’s race, with a few sets of strides. Didn’t feel good at all, but might have been the annoying wind.

Sun 19 Jul

Fingal 10k

Went into this with a goal of sub-45. Missed it by 13 seconds.

Got to the start line too late to find a good position, It was very tight and congested. Had persuaded aquinn to give 4:30/km pace a bash and we weaved in and out of the headphone wearers for the first km. Lost 15 secs here and never got it back (although I would never blame a poor start for a bad result, at least not at the pace I run at).

A, who was also our driver for the day, found the pace a bit hot and dropped off on the dual carriageway after 2 miles. She was good enough to shout the split at me as I moved on. :) By 4 km I’d made up the time from the slow start but lost it again slowing down to take on some water. Enjoyed the section on the back roads but never really got going properly, although I still found myself moving through the field (probably right to the end, really). Made up a few seconds in the 7th and 8th kms but promptly lost them again in the ninth where there was a bit of headwind along the Balheary Road back towards town. Still though, a good final km might do it, especially if my watch was measuring a little short, as it often does. Made sure to run a good line all through the course, but the hill just before the final stretch knocked the sh%te out of me. Enjoyed what felt like a sprint on the final downhill 200 but it was too late.

It felt hard at the time but in retrospect I don’t remember being in much pain. Still finding it hard to find the HTFU to push it enough when up against it.

Splits:

(KM)
    4:45 4:22 4:29 4:25 4:38 4:35 4:30 4:29 4:32 4:27

(MI)

7:24 7:06 7:22 7:24 7:12 7:28 (6:24)

Previous PB: 46:28 (Fingal 2014)
    Target: < 45:00
    Result: 45:13
    Verdict: meh.

Thanks to Bungy Girl, Laura, hillside runner and various Cru for the support. I think it was hilly who said I looked comfortable but that was about 8.5 km in so I shouldn’t have - that’s the problem right there, I suppose. It’s a PB, which is always welcome, but in the end this is the race I wanted to run last year, not today.

PS: Singer's flapjacks - excellent!

Decent Run and PB, D. Just think how much more you will take off when you find the HTFU button ;)

Well done. Now put the feet up and enjoy a few PB drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well done on the PB

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Decent Run and PB, D. Just think how much more you will take off when you find the HTFU button ;)

Well done. Now put the feet up and enjoy a few PB drinks.

Well now that you mention it...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hydsu9qs0t474q7/file%2019-07-2015%2018%2031%2003.jpeg?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done Murph, you got a PB so a good day out, you might have missed your target but at least the leader of the opposition party is happy:)

Envious here seeing all the racing you're getting in.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done on the PB. That hill on the last k is evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Missed you today D, well done, a pb is a pb is a pb! That wind and hill around 9k ended me too, got a bit messy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

As OP said a PB is a PB, well done D. Never mind FBOT01, i witnessed you HTFU, hes only a sandbagger anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Congrats on a PB Murph, I'm a great believer in welcoming them when they come along, no matter what shape or size they are!

Mon 20 Jul

Recovery 35 mins.

Nice slow recovery run through Marino and Drumcondra with the missus.

Tue 21 Jul

General Aerobic 16.7 kms @ 5:45 (10.4 mi @ 9:15) Av HR 145 (63% HRR)

Easy run out to Irishtown, where I took the option of skipping the track session in favour of an easy run out to the South Wall with a few club mates. Lovely evening and feeling good, all good after Sunday's efforts.

Yet another deviation from the P&L HM plan but I'm not going to sweat this too much. I'll stick to the plan loosely while still getting in the Tuesday night track session as much as possible as I've been neglecting the club too much.

WTD: 14 mi (22 km)
    MTD: 109 (176)
    YTD: 1,029 (1,655)

Wed 22 Jul

Endurance 11 km @ 5:14 (6.8 mi @ 8:25) Av. HR 157 (72%HRR)

Not sure if the HRM is acting up because at that HR the pace should have been more like 5:23 (8:40) and if anything on a windy warm evening you'd expect the pace to be slower rather than faster than normal for the HR. So perhaps this run was a little fast. Felt good though. Even got chatting to a guy on a bike about the Barcelona marathon at one point (he was the extrovert, not me.) :D

WTD: 21mi (33 km)
    MTD: 116 (187)
    YTD: 1,036 (1,666)

Thu 23 Jul

50 mins easy

Was trying to keep HR around 145 for a few slow miles and was alarmed to see it climbing into the
    stratosphere despite me barely shuffling along. Got as far as the wooden bridge before it kicked into the proper reading. Might be that new Fingal 10k shirt I was wearing, could have been full of static!

Fri 24 Jul

Gen Aerobic 16.5 km @ 5:52 (10 mi at 9:26) Avg HRR 142 (61%)

Accompanied the missus on her MP run, on the seafront and a lap of St. Anne’s. Ran the new path that FBOT loves and Bungy hates. Me, I’m somewhere in between.

Sat 25 Jul

Gen Aerobic 13 km @ 6:09 (8.1 mi @ 9:55) Avg HRR 139 (59%)

A day early and a km shorter than what the plan says, but travelling tomorrow so got it out of the way. Like yesterday, a little slower than recommended for this type of run but as I’ve done a bit more than the specified mileage this week I’m not going to worry about that. Also, with one eye on doing some hadd training between the Dublin HM and the Boston marathon cycle I’m trying to keep these easy and recovery runs towards the slow end of the spectrum.

Next week: warm weather hill training (with added ouzo). :D

WTD: 44 mi (71 km)
    MTD: 140 (225)
    YTD: 1,059 (1,704)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Enjoy the hills hols !

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Enjoy the hills hols !

+1 have a good one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Enjoy the holiers ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Enjoy!

Mon 27 Jul

Easy 10.2km @ 6:45 (6.4 mi @ 10:22)

We are staying in the mountains of Northern Greece this week. 7am start to get this in before the sun crested the magnificent heights towering over the Vicos Gorge. Took it handy, getting a feel for the terrain. Looks like this 4.5 km uphill out / downhill back route will be the best choice for the week ahead as it's well protected from the sun (at this hour) and while challenging, the climb is manageable. Might change my mind about that last bit after tomorrow's session though.

Tue 28 Jul

LT 2x20mins (4 mins jog rec)

Was out before 6:30 for this, else it would just be too hot. As yesterday's mountain village was at a dead end, had to extend yesterday's route in the opposite direction to avoid running out of road. Took a wrong turn on the 15 mins warmup and then a shortcut through a hotel courtyard to avoid some grumpy looking dogs lying in the middle of the road. It felt a little cooler than yesterday starting off, but soon ramped up as I started the lactate threshold session, trying to keep HR between 162 and 180. Most of the first interval was uphill so this wasn't a problem, although I found it hard to move fast enough to get into the upper reaches of this range. Was glad of the 4 mins jog recovery before starting the second rep just before turning back. This was supposed to be 16 mins and by the time the watch beeped at the end I thought it had dragged out a bit. Only realised later I'd set up watch to 2x20 instead. :rolleyes: Second half mostly downhill so I ended up covering the same distance as the outward 25 mins over the the inward 19. I thought this was especially impressive until I realised my timing mistake. :) Another couple of kms cool down was mostly uphill again so not very therapeutic. Felt good to have a challenging session done and dusted by 8am all the same. Especially as early morning holiday runs are hardly ever done on the freshest of heads. ;)

Warmup 3.3 km (2.1 mi)
    LT 20 mins / 3.5 km @ 5:45 (2.2 mi @ 9:16) HR 165 (77% HRR)
    4 mins jog recovery 0.54 km
    LT 20 mins / 4.2 km @ 4:45 (2.6 mi @ 7:40) HR 163 (76% HRR)
    Cooldown 2.8 km (1.8 mi)
    Total 13.6 km (8.5 mi)

WTD: 15 mi (24 km)
    MTD: 155 (249)
    YTD: 1,074 (1,728)

Thu 30 Jul

Easy 12 km @ 6:25 (7.5 mi @ 9:55) Av HRR 142 (61%)

Plan called for 14 km endurance run (yesterday) which I skipped in favour of a hike into the Vicos Gorge (the world's deepest, according to the locals). So 12 easy kms today keeps the mileage more or less on track. Easy according to the data but felt harder. Only packed trail shoes which are not as cushioned as my normal road shoes so starting to feel the impact. Quads quite sore after the downhill sections of Tues session and yesterday's exhertions. But still in one piece.

WTD: 23 mi (36 km)
    MTD: 163 (261)
    YTD: 1,082 (1,740)

Sat 1 Aug

Easy (?) 10 km @ 6:01 (6.2 mi @ 9:36) Av HR 158 (73%)

Another pre-6:30 start for this. Down from the mountains so the pre-dawn cool isn't really happening here at beach level. Left the apartment and decided to turn right, no idea what was up the road. Turned out to be the uphill direction, and this run felt like a Howth ascent, complete with false summit at half way. :eek:
    Was hosed after two miles and headed back, feeling more and more uncomfortable and in need of a pit stop. Took a toilet break at the gaff, grabbed some water and finished off with another few kms as the sun came up. That was no fun at all, but the dip in the Med to cool down made it all worthwhile.

A nice round 1,750 kms so far this year. :)

WTD: 29 mi (46 km)
    MTD: 6 (10)
    YTD: 1,088 (1,750)

Sun 2 Aug

Progression 19km + CD. Total 20 kms @ 5:12 Avg (12.4 mi @ 8:23) Av HRR 154 (70%).

The plan specified a 19 km long run with effort increasing steadily throughout, the last three kms at LT pace. For me this would mean working from about 5:57 - 4:30 per km (9:36 - 7:15 per mile). Have not really worked to that kind of range before so I thought this would be interesting, especially after spending most of the day travelling back to Dublin.

Set out to do this after half-heartedly watching the Dublin-Fermanagh game, heading out to the seafront to avoid the post-match foot traffic. My support Sauconys felt great after a week of the trail shoes and I enjoyed this run, even if the first half out to Sutton was mostly into the wind. Tried to keep HR in low 150s for first 5k, higher 150s next 5k, 160s up to 16k then 170s for the LT kms. This went pretty much to plan, and I didn’t mind having the wind at my back for the last quarter of the run (should have been more, but as sometimes happens it seemed to shift direction at the wrong time).

Splits:
    5:57 5:22 5:24 5:22 5:21 5:19 5:10 5:09 5:13 5:20
    4:56 5:01 4:54 5:06 4:57 4:48 4:34 4:38 4:53

Or in miles:
    9:14 8:36 8:41 8:30 8:15 8:29 8:05 8:00 8:09 7:43 7:23 (6:24 - 0.8mi)

Happy enough with that. Pace a bit uneven, partly due to wind and the nature of the route, but HR was the guiding factor and the effort progressed nicely throughout as planned. Finished with a 1 km cooldown shuffle through Fairview Park.

WTD: 41mi (66 km)
    MTD: 19 (30)
    YTD: 1,100 (1,770)

Mon 3 Aug

~ 30 mins recovery through Drumcondra. Dropped into the ma’s for a cuppa/Kit Kat en route.

Tue 4 Aug

WU + 8x600 (200 rec) + CD

Tough session at the club. Again, this one was a first for me and I had no idea what my ideal pace for these reps should be. So I just tried to follow a clubmate who’s a bit faster than me and kept up with him for the first 6 reps before losing him in the crowd. Managed to switch watch off for first four reps but the last four were at

2:29 2:31 2:30 2:24 (Av HRR 92%)

When I checked later I figured I should have been running these around 2:30-2:35 so looks like this was pretty much on the money. The 200 jog recoveries got slower and slower - was impressed with some of my clubmates’ ability in the 'slow-jog’ department - the little group I joined for the last two reps managed around 2:25 for the recoveries. Jogged part of the way home with PaulieYifter for (OCD people look away now) a total of 15.9 km (9.9 mi) for the evening.

That was bloody hard. As the plan has a VO2Max session down for Friday I’ll consider that done and swap in what was down for today (13km GA with hill sprints / strides).

WTD: 13 mi (21 km)
    MTD: 32 (51)
    YTD: 1,113 (1,791)

Wed 5 Aug

Endurance 14.3k @ 5:27 (8.9 mi @ 8:35) Av HRR 155 (70%)

Felt good on this one, up through Ballymun and a couple of laps of the Demense before returning via Deep 'Mun (the warren of redeveloped streets to the east of the main road between Santry Avenue and Collins Avenue). Managed to navigate through there without getting lost, before the watch started to beep at me like mad and died.

Passed one of this weekend's 1500m participants in Santry Demense a couple of times. Didn't recognise me even though (along with dozens of others) I was part of the control group for his sports science research a couple of years ago. Best of luck to him.

All in all this felt good. In general I've found it a bit of a slog the last couple of months post-Cork so hopefully getting back to normal.

WTD: 22 mi (36 km)
    MTD: 41 (66)
    YTD: 1,122 (1,805)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hi Murph, just catching up here. Great holiday running, fair play, and you're churning out some really solid sessions lately.*

I'd say the missus' form has something to do with this, nothing like the fear of being caught :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'm surprised I've not bumped into you on one of your runs around the 'Mun yet!
    (I know I ran into you one day when you were walking near DCU but never on a run)

One of these days...!!

Advertisement