Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Murph_D wrote:
    All in all this felt good. In general I've found it a bit of a slog the last couple of months post-Cork so hopefully getting back to normal.

Ah! The auld post marathon slump. We have all been there. You are still knocking out some good mileage and sessions. Hang in there and the Frank Duffy will sort you out;)

Dubgal72 wrote:
    the fear of being caught

He is too nice to say it so I will "Dream on!!" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

belcarra wrote: »
    I'm surprised I've not bumped into you on one of your runs around the 'Mun yet!
    (I know I ran into you one day when you were walking near DCU but never on a run)

One of these days...!!

It's only a matter of time, J., although the fact I do a lot of these as lunchtime runs might have something to do with it. How are the Berlin preparations coming along?

Fri 7 Aug

GA with hills/strides 13k @ 5:56 (8.1m @ 8:58)

Believe it or not this run included my first ever set of hill sprints, which I did on the not-too-severe incline at the SE corner of St. Anne's Park. Did a one minute standing recovery after each one, keeping the watch going which makes this run look a good bit slower than it actually was. Passed Mrs Mc on the way out and again on the way in, looking strong and certainly putting the work in. :)

WTD: 30 mi (49 km)
    MTD: 49 (79)
    YTD: 1,130 (1,818)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Fri 7 Aug

GA with hills/strides 13k @ 5:56 (8.1m @ 8:58)

Believe it or not this run included my first ever set of hill sprints, which I did on the not-too-severe incline at the SE corner of St. Anne's Park. Did a one minute standing recovery after each one, keeping the watch going which makes this run look a good bit slower than it actually was. Passed Mrs Mc on the way out and again on the way in, looking strong and certainly putting the work in. :)

WTD: 30 mi (49 km)
    MTD: 49 (79)
    YTD: 1,130 (1,818)

You were bouncing along yourself when you passed me at end of Castle Ave. I was in a car not running.

That's a grand spot for the hill strides. Not to severe but you know that you are working.

• Advertisement

Were you out looking for the missus? :pac:

Think I picked up on that spot from reading yours or Ferris's log. Does the trick alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

It's only a matter of time, J., although the fact I do a lot of these as lunchtime runs might have something to do with it. How are the Berlin preparations coming along?

Yeah, you're right about the timing of the runs alright.

Berlin training going well at the moment.
    Just keep her between the ditches now for the next few weeks and try to avoid injury!
    I'm in Poppintree Parkrun in the morning if you're looking to choose one!;)

belcarra wrote: »
    Yeah, you're right about the timing of the runs alright.

Berlin training going well at the moment.
    Just keep her between the ditches now for the next few weeks and try to avoid injury!
    I'm in Poppintree Parkrun in the morning if you're looking to choose one!;)

St Anne's it is so Murph :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Were you out looking for the missus? :pac:

Think I picked up on that spot from reading yours or Ferris's log. Does the trick alright.

Ah sure he knows where to find me these days all I seem to be doing is bloody running !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Ah sure he knows where to find me these days all I seem to be doing is bloody running !!!!

Or talking about it. Or reading about it. Or preparing for it. Or recovering from it. Or zoning out in meetings thinking about how you'll organise your week to facilitate running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Or talking about it. Or reading about it. Or preparing for it. Or recovering from it. Or zoning out in meetings thinking about how you'll organise your week to facilitate running.

You forgot posting about it !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

FBOT01 wrote: »
    He is too nice to say it so I will "Dream on!!" :D:D

Haha not a hope.

I'm so far behind on all logs that FBOT got in before me! :)

Sat 8 Aug

Endurance 21.7k @ 5:33 (13.4m @ 8:53)

Last night while browsing de boards I noticed that TbL was having trouble finding someone slow enough to join him on a running date. Felt sorry for the poor rejected auld bogger and offered my services, meeting up at the wooden bridge on a glorious summer morning. I’d mapped out a route that would allow me to bail out after 12 or 13 miles and let him finish his planned 15, but as he was happy to keep the pace nice and easy I went a bit further than planned. ;)

Decided to show the country gent a few of the capital’s sights and we started with a stretch of Dollymount Strand before heading into town via St. Anne’s, Clontarf, East Point, the East Link, Irishtown and the Docklands and back out to the bridge. I was worried that the 8:30-9:00 min pace might be a bit leisurely but he seemed happy enough with it. We had a grand old natter and the two hours flew by. TbL was entranced with the big city sights, marvelling at the cruise liners, the Trekkies and Ninja Turtles queuing up for Comic Con, not to mention some of the athletic youngsters running and exercising in the seafront sunshine. Great company and a most enjoyable run, the young lad will go far.

8:40
    8:48
    8:53
    8:55
    8:39
    8:31
    8:51
    9:03
    9:12
    9:13
    8:55
    8:45
    8:51
    (8:45)

WTD: 44 mi (70 km)
    MTD: 62 (101)
    YTD: 1,144 (1,840)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

I went a bit further than planned. ;)

Too much info ;)

What can I say, just couldn't tear myself away. ;)

Sun 9 Aug

Rest. Nice to have a Sunday off as I’d made up the week’s mileage and a little bit more during yesterday’s running date. Turned out it was my longest run since Cork, although I didn’t realise it at the time, so mesmerised was I by the auld charmer.

Mon 10 Aug

V Easy 7.6 km @ 5:59 (4.7 mi @ 9:38)

Felt very sluggish and just stuck to recovery pace for this one.

Tue 11 Aug

16.1 km (10 mi) inc. 38 mins @ LT pace (Av HRR for LT section 174 (84%)

Jogged over to the club and joined the marathon group for the first time this year. I knew from their schedule they were down to do 30 mins at 104% MP so I figured I wouldn’t get in the way with my tempo pace of 4:23-4:33 (7:03-7:19). Settled in with a few lads who said they were going at 4:30 but it was more like 4:20 and broke up pretty quickly so I dropped back and settled in to a fairly even pace to average 4:29 (7:13) for the 38 mins. Had to do the last 8 mins with everyone else was doing cooldown laps in the opposite direction so that felt a bit weird. Last third of this felt pretty tough but delighted to get it done. Some might find it boring doing this kind of run on a track but I like that you can forget about traffic and pedestrians and everything else and just get into it. Couple of cooldown laps and jogged home to make it 10 miles for the evening. Felt very good tonight.

WTD: 15 mi (24 km)
    MTD: 77 (124)
    YTD: 1,158 (1,864)

Wed 12 Aug

Endurance 16.5 km @ 5:18 (10.2 mi @ 8:32)

A little wary of this one as I’d never before followed a long tempo or indeed any other session with more than a recovery run (not since I got any sense anyway). This seems to be part of the Pfitzinger approach but to me it goes a little against the hard/easy rule, in that any run of more than a few slow miles following a session the night before is not necessarily easy. However, in “trust the plan” mode I set out to do this in the manner prescribed by Pfitzinger & Latter for 'Endurance' runs: starting slow and increasing steadily throughout. My HR range for these is supposed to be 148-166 so I tried to keep below 151 for first 5k, increasing to around 157 for another 5k and then 163 for the next, before slowing right down again for the final little bit. First 6kms or so included the drag up the Howth Road. Only looked at HR during the run so I didn’t know what pace this was translating to.

km 01-05 27:39 (5:32/km) Av HRR 147 (65%)
    km 06-10 25:30 (5:06/km) Av HRR 155 (70%)
    km 11-15 25:13 (5:03/km) Av HRR 161 (74%)

Not sure what to make of this - HR was obviously in the right range but the pace was too fast (according to P&L, based on my 5k/10k times this run should be in the 5:22-5:57 range). So in this case, HR and pace don’t match up too well, or else I’m interpreting the ranges too literally. On the other hand, I’m happy that the recommended HR “delivers” (in this case at least) a pace faster than expected, which suggests my race times can still be improved considerably.

I think. :)

Did this run straight after dinner so I was expecting a stitch might result. No sign, thankfully. I’ve been using a 2:3 strides inhale/exhale technique for a while now and it’s bedded in, so that might have something to do with it. Thanks to whoever linked to that one, Ososlo probably.

All in all, a very enjoyable late evening run as the sun was going down. At one point on the Dollymount Causeway a woman wandered out from the dunes, straight across the road in front of me without a hint of a head turn to check for anyone on the road, cars or otherwise. I went around her to the left, entangling myself in her dog lead which I hadn’t noticed as she was holding it low to the ground and the dog had not yet appeared out of the dunes. “Watch where you’re going” sez she. I think it was Krusty who wondered how some of the dog walkers you come across manage to get their trousers on in the morning and now I know what he meant.

WTD: 25 mi (40 km)
    MTD: 87 (141)
    YTD: 1,169 (1,880)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Running, simple? It's a confusing head wreck...I'd tend to agree with you, ie that your paces are getting faster within the HR which is the desired result isn't it?

Love the last bit...."watch where you're going"?????
    Himself was on the dart a while back and a horde of Dalkey convent girls got on. The tannoy announced "This train is for Mullach Ide, Malahide"
    One of the 'Loreto Dalkey' girls piped up in a clear voice - to the eruption of the carriage - "did he just call us a ****ing eejit?!"

So now, whenever you hear me call someone a Mullach Ide, you know it's not a compliment ;) I think we can put this particular dog walker in the Mullach Ide category.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

All in all, a very enjoyable late evening run as the sun was going down. At one point on the Dollymount Causeway a woman wandered out from the dunes, straight across the road in front of me without a hint of a head turn to check for anyone on the road, cars or otherwise. I went around her to the left, entangling myself in her dog lead which I hadn’t noticed as she was holding it low to the ground and the dog had not yet appeared out of the dunes. “Watch where you’re going” sez she. I think it was Krusty who wondered how some of the dog walkers people in general you come across manage to get their trousers on in the morning and now I know what he meant.

fyp, just because 'everyone' seems to fit this category... I run in the city some lunchtimes and the number of office workers who walk 3/4/5 abreast that a) don't look around them and b) refuse to move in when anyone approaches in the opposite direction is astounding! When I'm out walking the dog I always move in when a runner approaches, sometimes they say thanks, other times I wish I'd stayed where I was :rolleyes: Manners, it seems are in short supply on our streets...

Indeed. I don't mean to disparage dog walkers in general (sure wasn't I one myself for years). But those retractable leads are lethal in the hands of people with no sense of space/self-awareness!

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Running, simple? It's a confusing head wreck...I'd tend to agree with you, ie that your paces are getting faster within the HR which is the desired result isn't it?

More data required, methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Firedance wrote: »
    fyp, just because 'everyone' seems to fit this category... I run in the city some lunchtimes and the number of office workers who walk 3/4/5 abreast that a) don't look around them and b) refuse to move in when anyone approaches in the opposite direction is astounding! When I'm out walking the dog I always move in when a runner approaches, sometimes they say thanks, other times I wish I'd stayed where I was :rolleyes: Manners, it seems are in short supply on our streets...

That's where those xc elbows come in handy :D (as i have witnessed).

Thu 13 Aug

Recovery 5.5 km @ 6:38 (3.4 mi @ 10:41)
    Pleasant few miles recovery along the seafront with the Mrs.

Fri 14 Aug

Gen Aerobic w/strides 13.3 km @ 5:46 (8.3 mi @ 9:16) Av HRR 153 (69%)

Not much to report except that I don’t think I’ve done ten sets of strides on a single run before. Did most of them at my new strides spot near the wooden bridge where I’ve measured 100m between a sign and a lamppost. Got a bit browned off with the repetition and continued homeward for the last three, measuring off the lamp standards which seem to be about 30m apart.

Sat 15 Aug

Rest. Fired up the BBQ.

Sun 16 Aug

Long Run w/ 5k @ LT 24.2 km @ 5:38 (15 mi @ 9:05) Av HRR 160 (74%)

In Donegal for the weekend so got the opportunity for some more hill training. The plan called for a 21 km progression long run, with last five kms at LT pace. As the route was very undulating and mindful that I’d already run a progression during the week I just tried to keep the HR somewhere in the middle of the prescribed 65-78% HRR range, although I wasn’t particularly rigorous about this and just enjoyed the run. As I am down as a pacer for DCM this year and haven’t gotten in anything longer than 13 miles for some time I’m thinking I’ll stretch out some of the remaining long runs in the plan. Today I just added a few kms to bring it up to 15 miles. For the LT/tempo section, I started at the top of a hill but the up-and-down route made it difficult to hit the required pace and I just about kept it in the required 4:29-4:35/km range (c.7:15/mile)

LT kms 4:27 4:31 4:49 4:40 4:22 (Av. 4:34)

Pleased to be able to finish at my 5k PB pace. Super run on a fabulous afternoon with perfect warm and dry conditions. Good to get in 50-plus miles this week - first of those in quite a while now.

WTD: 52 mi (83 km)
    MTD: 114 (184)
    YTD: 1,195 (1,88)

Mon 17 Aug

Rest. Right ankle feels a little weak, possibly due to last week's mileage.

Tue 18 Aug

Club easy run 18.8 km @ 5:26 (11.7 mi @ 8:44)

Jogged over to Irishtown. The marathon group is having an easy week with the Frank Duffy coming up on Saturday so I joined in a very pleasant run out to the Poolbeg Lighthouse and back to the track, chatting all the way with a new club member. "Easy" is of course a relative term and the pace was a little hotter than I would have liked but very enjoyable all the same. Beautiful evening, although I found it a little TOO warm. Slow jog home afterwards with a bottle of water for company. Ankle OK but still a little niggly.

WTD: 12 mi (19 km)
    MTD: 126 (202)
    YTD: 1,207 (1,942)

Wed 19 Aug

Rest.

Thu 20 Aug

Easy 11 km @ 5:55 (6.8 mi @ 9:31)

This felt very sluggish on a muggy afternoon. Headed up to the Santry Demesne, where I went around in a clockwise direction for a change. Anything to freshen things up! Discovered a whole new path and entrance behind the walled garden. :)

Ankle still feels a little odd - not painful as such, just a sensation of weakness.

WTD: 19 mi (30 km)
    MTD: 133 (213)
    YTD: 1,214 (1,953)

Headed up to the Santry Demesne, where I went around in a clockwise direction for a change. Anything to freshen things up! Discovered a whole new path and entrance behind the walled garden. :)

Have you discovered the 'pan-handle' section down by the river to the back of Gulliver's Retail Park yet? It can add another kilometre in each direction (Out & Back), or you could use it as an alternative entry point to the park if coming from DCU direction and up through da 'mun!

That's the entrance I usually use. I like that section thought the woods - first time I found it was from the Ballymun end and had no idea it connected to the park. The new path i found yesterday led to another entrance from Northwood behind the walled garden. Had never spotted it before until I reversed direction. Love finding shortcuts and new ways around the place!

Actually J, just looking at some old maps, I notice that the 'panhandle' path you're talking about runs through what used to be known as Coleman's Field. No wonder you know so much about it. :pac:

That's class!
    I almost live on that patch of ground too, but just a little South in what would have been Black Wood.

I'd have loved to have seen the demesne back in those days!

By the way, did you ever see the Shamrock Maze beside the Tesco distribution centre?

I've only ever seen it on Google Maps, I don't think the public have access!

• Advertisement

I've seen it from the air, would love to know the story behind it.

Advertisement