Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck tomorrow, D. Hopefully see you in there. Have a good one and ENJOY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fri 21 Aug

Easy 3.2 kms (2 mi) with some strides in Albert College Park. Just shaking the legs out, as they say, but it did not feel good at all.

Sat 22 Aug

Frank Duffy 10 Mile

The couple of easy runs I’ve done this week felt so bad that I wouldn't have been surprised if the wheels had really come off today, but thankfully things held together and I managed a small PB. Based on my best result so far this year, the Terenure 5, McMillan prediction was 73:33 so I decided in advance that anything with a 73 in front of it would be good enough, given the last couple of lacklustre races I’ve churned out in the Race Series.

Did a fairly strenuous warmup (by my usually quite relaxed standards) with a clubmate and took up a place somewhere in the middle of the sub-80 area. It was not very crowded in there and there was no issue hitting the required 4:32/km (7:20/mi, allowing for a bit of a fade on the late hills) early on. Felt very comfortable in the first mile, but then on the first little drag up the back of the zoo things started to feel tougher. Started to get a stitch in mile 3 but held it off. The rest of the race was quite uneventful really, a case of grinding it out without dropping the pace too much while still leaving a bit in the tank for the last mile and half up the Glen Road. Followed a neighbour of mine for a few miles back down Chesterfield and out the Conyngham Road - he was going well so I sneakily used him as a pacer without offering to do any work myself. Like yaboya1 after a similar incident earlier this year, I felt a bit guilty when he dropped off away on reentering the park. Felt pretty good going up the hill - inevitably lost some time here but that was expected and there was still something in the legs for a strong final 800 and a 73:46 finish.

Another wonderful race series event, flawlessly organised. Thanks to the volunteers, marshals, organisers and everyone who stood and encouraged. Excellent support as usual from Bungy Girl and Firedance. Good to meet up with lots of old and new Boardsies afterwards, encouraging to see Dubgal is passing on the flapjack making tradition to whole new generation of novices (thanks, Toulouse, delicious!) Plenty of PBs today so well done to all.

7:08 7:14 7:24 7:31 7:29 7:25 7:17 7:20 7:54 7:26

Previous PB: 74:19 (Bundoran 2015)
    Target: 73:xx
    Result: 73:46
    Verdict: Job done.

WTD: 32 mi (52 km)
    MTD: 147 (236)
    YTD: 1,228 (1,976)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Solid Murph, well done. Job done is right

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done D, great running.

Solid Murph, well done. Job done is right

TbL

+1 and I saw one photo of you waving at a camera just after the mile 6 mark that says there is plenty more to come :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done today - nice running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Great racing, nice splits! Looking good for the 19th. You might be leaving Killerz eating your dust and there won't be anything he can do about it :D

tang1 wrote: »
    Well done D, great running.

Thanks B. Would definitely have done better if you'd been dragging me around like last time.

Solid Murph, well done. Job done is right.

Thanks C, it wasn't very artistic, but relatively consistent.
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    +1 and I saw one photo of you waving at a camera just after the mile 6 mark that says there is plenty more to come :pac::pac:

Ha ha, fair play to Gillian, would have been wrong not to muster up some sort of camera mug.
    Tom Joad wrote: »
    Well done today - nice running.

Thanks Tom. Frank Duffy has always been good to me and I'm glad not to have let him down today. :)
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Great racing, nice splits! Looking good for the 19th. You might be leaving Killerz eating your dust and there won't be anything he can do about it :D

Like all good pacers I'm sure he will encourage anyone feeling good to push ahead when the time is right. But I'll be happy to be dragged in if necessary as long as the number is right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great race D. Well done.

• Advertisement

Sun 23 Aug

40 mins recovery @ 6:15/km (10:04/mi)

Didn't think I'd squeeze this in but managed to get out after dinner for a few miles along the seafront as the sun was going down. Managed to miss the worst of the rain but still got a pleasant enough sprinkling. Left quad a bit sore but everything else feels OK, and no more ankle issue.

WTD: 36 mi (59 km)
    MTD: 151 (242)
    YTD: 1,232 (1,982)

So...

Back to the plan this week, although I'll be keeping it easy and swapping Friday's scheduled 3-5k pace VO2max session for something more recovery oriented.

Last four races suggest HM range of 1:38:04 to 1:40:54 with an average of 1:39:20 so plenty of work to do in the next four weeks and on the big day itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Nice running on Saturday Murph!

Harsh, Bungy Girl... but true ;)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Last four races suggest HM range of 1:38:04 to 1:40:54 with an average of 1:39:20 so plenty of work to do in the next four weeks and on the big day itself.

I'll be picking your brains on this if I may ? Don't really know what to do after base building finishes next weekend.

I'll be picking your brains on this if I may ? Don't really know what to do after base building finishes next weekend.

Are you wondering what to do between then and the HM? I wouldn't be the best person to ask (just following the plan) but I'm sure if you post on your log you'll get plenty of advice from someone with more expertise - I know I did when I was wondering how to build up to Waterford HM last year. I can dig out that 4 week plan if you like.

Are you wondering what to do between then and the HM? I wouldn't be the best person to ask (just following the plan) but I'm sure if you post on your log you'll get plenty of advice from someone with more expertise - I know I did when I was wondering how to build up to Waterford HM last year. I can dig out that 4 week plan if you like.

Thanks. I'll post up the plan I've cobbled together on my log and those wiser than me (that includes you ;)) might have some suggestions. I think the main thing is that I haven't done any HM specific sessions but it might be a bit late to be thinking about them at this stage ? I'll get off your log now though :rolleyes:.

TI think the main thing is that I haven't done any HM specific sessions but it might be a bit late to be thinking about them at this stage ?

Wouldn't worry about that at all - my plan (Pfitzinger & Latter) has no specific HM paced runs either until the final week, when there's an 11k including 2 miles at 'race pace' on the Tues. I'm going to trust it!

Wouldn't worry about that at all - my plan (Pfitzinger & Latter) has no specific HM paced runs either until the final week, when there's an 11k 'race pace' on the Tues. I'm going to trust it!

Interesting...I'm down for a 6 easy miles that day. I'd say it would be good for the confidence to get that done at race pace. Seems very close to race day though ?

Wouldn't worry about that at all - my plan (Pfitzinger & Latter) has no specific HM paced runs either until the final week, when there's an 11k including 2 miles at 'race pace' on the Tues. I'm going to trust it!

Ah! That's a bit easier :D. Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done at the weekend D. Glad to see you're using some solid pacing techniques:).

While I'm here, I'll translate this for you:
    FBOT01 wrote: »

I see you're still sandbagging Murph :D

• Advertisement

I saw one of FBOT in the same set of pics that suggested he was well in control himself. ;)

Mon 24 Aug

Rest.

Tue 25 Aug

General Aerobic 13 km @ 5:46 (8 mi @ 9:17)

Some nice easy miles, joined by A for the first couple of miles before she turned around. Continued on out out to St. Anne's and back, incorporating a lap of the parkrun course. A bit of tightness in the other quad this time, but this run seemed to loosen it out. Generally feeling pretty good. Plan allows for a 5-10k race at the end of next week so might give a parkrun a lash, or even something a little longer.

WTD: 8 mi (13 km)
    MTD: 159 (255)
    YTD: 1,240 (1,995)

Plan allows for a 5-10k race at the end of next week so might give a parkrun a lash, or even something a little longer.

:D It's going to be an awesome race. The posted pictures of the post-race choc chip muffins on FB yesterday.

:D It's going to be an awesome race. The posted pictures of the post-race choc chip muffins on FB yesterday.

Word travels fast on the D3 back-channel, eh?

Signed up for The Lakes 10k on Sat. Week, seeing as how we were probably going to go anyway to return the BG/FD support factor. This way the Mrs gets to return the support while I get to toe the line. :D

I get to toe the line. :D

Race ya to the muffins ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Race ya to the muffins ! ;)

noooooooo! am gonna miss all the fun - someone take away my keyboard before I sign up too :P:P

Ooh, a smackdown already. Bring it on! That base phase will have you haring off like a greyhound from the traps (I do like to mix my metaphors) but sure I'll do my best to keep up. :pac:

Firedance wrote: »
    noooooooo! am gonna miss all the fun - someone take away my keyboard before I sign up too :P:P

Thought you said the other day that you were doing it. Not too late. :)

Ooh, a smackdown already. Bring it on! That base phase will have you haring off like a greyhound from the traps (I do like to mix my metaphors) but sure I'll do my best to keep up. :pac:

Sure if she is getting away from you, all you will have to do is drop a sandbag or two and you will be sorted :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Thought you said the other day that you were doing it. Not too late. :)

it was my target initially but that's the weekend my brother/wife/niece are coming home now so decided it would be v. rude* to up & leave to do a race the day before the christening

*but sure they probably wouldn't notice if I was gone for a few hours :D

Advertisement