Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ooh, a smackdown already. Bring it on! That base phase will have you haring off like a greyhound from the traps (I do like to mix my metaphors) but sure I'll do my best to keep up. :pac:

Ha ha, based on that 10 miler I'd be very happy indeed to keep up with you!

I'm not one for sandbagging generally because I usually have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to do (what with the excessive regular racing and all :rolleyes:) but I honestly don't have a clue how this is going to go because it's so long since I've been anywhere near 10K pace. It could all go horribly wrong but I will have my A,B and C goals. And if all else fails I will have a choc chip muffin :D.

Firedance wrote: »
    *but sure they probably wouldn't notice if I was gone for a few hours :D

Just tell them your're bringing Woody for a nice long walk and you'll bring them all back muffins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Ha ha, based on that 10 miler I'd be very happy indeed to keep up with you!

I'm not one for sandbagging generally because I usually have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to do (what with the excessive regular racing and all :rolleyes:) but I honestly don't have a clue how this is going to go because it's so long since I've been anywhere near 10K pace. It could all go horribly wrong but I will have my A,B and C goals. And if all else fails I will have a choc chip muffin :D.

just make sure you have them in the right order ;)

it was my target initially but that's the weekend my brother/wife/niece are coming home now so decided it would be v. rude* to up & leave to do a race the day before the christening

*but sure they probably wouldn't notice if I was gone for a few hours :D

ah no, you have to do it, so I can cheer you on (and show you how it's done :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »

which? racing? cheering? both? :D:D I'm being sorely temped now given I've just sussed out the lucan 5 mile route and am not overly impressed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

which? racing? cheering? both? :D:D I'm being sorely temped now given I've just sussed out the lucan 5 mile route and am not overly impressed...

Ah go on, you will. Sure you know you want to :p

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Just tell them your're bringing Woody for a nice long walk and you'll bring them all back muffins :D
    annapr wrote: »
    Thought you said the other day that you were doing it. Not too late. :)
    aquinn wrote: »
    Ah go on, you will. Sure you know you want to :p

you lot are a bad influence I am easily lead :rolleyes: see you down there so.... :) sorry for the thread hijack Murph!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

you lot are a bad influence I am easily lead :rolleyes: see you down there so.... :) sorry for the thread hijack Murph!

Yay! If it makes you feel better my sister and nephew will be visiting me that day too, so not only am I sneaking out on them but I'm leaving my kids with her:-)

chickey2 wrote: »
    Yay! If it makes you feel better my sister and nephew will be visiting me that day too, so not only am I sneaking out on them but I'm leaving my kids with her:-)

excellent decision, another person to cheer!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Wed 26 Aug

Endurance 11 km @ 5:38 (6.8 mi @ 9:03)

Evening outing around DCU environs, a new route for me with some good drags up Grace Park Road and over the M1 at Beaumont. Through 2,000 kms for the year to date.

Having signed up for the Lakes 10k I immediately started to fret about doing 3 races in 5 weeks, but then I remembered my old mantra: trust the plan.

WTD: 15 mi (24 km)
    MTD: 166 (266)
    YTD: 1,247 (2,006)

• Advertisement

YTD: 1,247

Super mileage D, well done.

Super mileage D, well done.

Imperialist!

Thu 27 Aug

Easy 8.3 km @ 5:43 (5.1 mi @ 9:12)

This was supposed to be a rest/cross day but had looked at the wrong plan week yesterday and was 7kms short of what was scheduled. Feeling good so headed out for a few late evening miles to keep things sweet. Lovely evening. The view across the bay to the city while exiting St. Anne's Park is always lovely just after sunset and always gives me a lift for the last couple of miles home.

Fri 28 Aug

17 km @ 5:43 (10.5 mi @ 9:13)

The plan had a 16km run including a challenging looking VO2Max session. Skipped this in favour of an easy run up the canal and Tolka Valley as I thought it would be too much after racing last weekend. Hadn't been up this way in a while and was glad to see my swans in good shape with a healthy looking brood in tow. Passed a gang of lads pegging rocks at some office windows unfortunate enough to be a stone's throw from the towpath at Cabra and started to mentally prepare an escape route in case they decided to use me for target practice instead. But as I passed, one of them shouted at the others, "Will yez stop bein' so f**kin childish!" and the tension passed. :)

Sat 29 Aug

Rest. Plan had 6k recovery here and I'd thought I might do an easy park run but the Mrs had dragged me out for a few scoops last night so I took the option of an extra hour in bed instead.

Sun 30 Aug

Endurance/LSR 29.1 km @ 5:41 (18.1 mi @ 9:08)

This started out well enough but I faded after a while and all thoughts of the faster finish that Pfitzinger & Latter recommend for these runs (or some of them anyway) went out the window, especially when I rattled myself tripping over a tree root on the Phoenix Park trails and nearly faceplanted. It's this kind of moment that can totally screw up my back so I was lucky, and even stopped for a few moments to make sure there was no damage. Beautiful conditions in the early afternoon for the run, and I took a detour over onto the Liffey between Chapelizod and Islandbridge, which really is a lovely stretch which I haven't run in a good while. Had thought I might stretch this run out an extra couple of miles with DCM in mind but soon canned that idea - You're training for a HM, dumbo! Then I looked at the plan later and saw I was only supposed to do 23km today. Another senior moment, but at least it meant I hit the scheduled 76 kms (48 mi) this week despite missing a run.

WTD: 49 mi (78 km)
    MTD: 199 (320)
    YTD: 1,280 (2,060)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I was just about to post you were only supposed to do 23km! Then I wondered did I read the plan wrong! Glad you didn't do any damage after your fall.

Don't know where I got 29k from - not used to these HM plans!

Good to hear no damage done!

Mon 30 Aug

Rest.

Tue 1 Sep

GA 13.2 km@5:39 (8.1 @ 9:04) inc. 2 sets 4x150 (250 recovery)

After doing some stewarding duty at the Grant Thornton (well run everyone, I managed not to spot a single one of ye, so focused was I on keeping you all off the Samuel Beckett Bridge footpath), I set out for a late evening few miles on the seafront. 150m felt long for strides, but the 8 sets went down pretty well actually. There's a point in every training plan when you feel things starting to click together and I think this was one of those times.

WTD: 13km (8 mi)
    MTD: 13 (8)
    YTD: 1,293 (2068)

Good luck tomorrow D! Enjoy the 2 races you're taking part in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of Luck tomorrow, D. Have a good one and of course....ENJOY!!

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Best of Luck tomorrow, D. Have a good one and of course....ENJOY!!

You should really think of adding a tm to this :p

D have bowed to pressure and printed off the famous DG flapjack recipe so hope to have them for you at the finish.

• Advertisement

You should really think of adding a tm to this :p

D have bowed to pressure and printed off the famous DG flapjack recipe so hope to have them for you at the finish if there are any left.

aw did someone put you under pressure... :p

fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow D, in the words of ultraman1, don't let a burd beat ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Good luck tomorrow D hope it goes well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

See ya tomorrow, best of luck :) Check those laces at the startline...terrible if they got knotted ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Very best of luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good luck murph.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Race well !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Well done D. Good mornings work!

Did BG leave any muffins for you :)

Wed 2 Sep

GA 11k 2 2x1k @ 10k pace

The plan said just the easy 11k but with Saturday's race in mind I decided to stick in a couple of kms at 10k effort. Didn't quite hit the pace but as it was rolling terrain that was probably a good thing.

Thu 3 Sep

Rest

Fri 4 Sep

Easy 5k w/ 4x100 strides

Few laps of Albert College park. Felt sluggish enough. Did the strides in the middle lap.

WTD: 18 (39 km)
    MTD: 18 (39)
    YTD: 1,299 (2,099)

• Advertisement

Sat 5 Sep

The Lakes 10k - 44:20 (PB)

We set off nice and early for this, picking up Bungy Girl (considered leaving her behind, but only for a minute :)) and aquinn on the way. Got to Blessington nice and early, picked up the number in seconds, hung around for a while before doing a couple of kms warmup with BG and Firedance. Conditions were a little breezier than anticipated but it was a fine cool morning so nothing to complain about weather-wise.

The numbers doing the race were a bit down, I believe, which is a pity, but it certainly made for a smooth start with no congestion at all. The organisers did a great job with the waves, organising them outside the main gathering point before walking everyone over to the start line, parkrun style. I didn’t fancy my chances of finishing ahead of BG, who is faster, more race-hardened and far younger than I. But we agreed to set out at 44 min pace with a few clubmates chasing similar targets, knowing we’d lose some time on the hill in Km 7, which hopefully could be made up over the fast closing 3k.

Felt grand for the first few kms but then began to struggle a bit in the fourth km — not sure why, there was a bit of a drag here for a bit, but nothing serious. BG pulled ahead a bit here and ran with clubmate R for a few kms. The two of them were bang on the pace so this gave me someone to follow for a while, which suited me fine and I put in a good fifth km to draw level with the two of them at the halfway point, which I clocked at 22:12. I sportingly called out the split as BG had forgotten to start her watch with all the pre-race chit chat. :pac:

Not sure what tactical advice FBOT whispered in BG’s ear at last week’s parkrun but she started to apply some pressure in km 6 and opened up a decent gap with the uphill seventh km just up the road. Was happy with my pace here, though, right on target at the bottom of the hill. At this point BG just put the foot down and powered up the hill, dropping R and leaving me quite a way behind. This was a bit humbling, but I wasn’t too disheartened as I went past a few runners myself on the way up and was only been passed by one, I think, over the 900m or so.

Passed the “King of the Hill” sign at the summit and by this stage I was looking forward to the downhill finish. I think I’ve improved a bit lately on the downhill and I started to close the gap a bit, catching R with about 1500m to go. By the 9k marker I’d closed the gap a bit to BG a little bit more but fair play to her, she was looking incredibly strong and never looked back for a second. Passed the mrs and aquinn doing some fine supporting and making a terrific racket at the "600m To Go” sign — except they were covering it, so I didn’t realise we were quite so close to the finish until rounding the final bend with the gantry visible about 400m ahead. Picked up the pace some more, getting to dry retch point over the last 100. I was happy with the final effort, fairly falling over the line, three or four places behind BG who also managed a powerful finish to cap off a really impressive return to the racing game, fair play.

Splits

4:24 4:26 4:28 4:34 4:20 4:22 4:59 4:11 4:16 4:21
    Garmin time: 44:20

After that it was muffin time and some race post-mortem talk with Firedance, chickey, Dubgal, HelenAnne and various club mates, most of whom had PBs so big smiles all round for the most part. While I was a little disappointed not to have put up a better challenge, I’m happy with the time and the 53-second PB on what was a slightly more challenging course than I was expecting. I don’t really enjoy any distance under 10 miles but it’s good to have put in another decent enough run with two weeks to go to the main event of the autumn, where I’d have a little more hope of reversing today’s placings. :)

Really well organised event, well done to the Lakeshore Striders crew. Good result from TRR today as well in sixth place, fair dues to him. Pity no chip times, and some odd gun times as well, as the clubmate I passed near the end was down as finishing in front of me. :confused:

Previous PB: 45:13 (Fingal 2015)
    Target: 44:xx low
    Garmin time: 44:20 (No chip times allocated because of power difficulties)
    101st posn, 14th M45 category (no M50 category today)
    Verdict: Happy with that, even if I was BG'd. :D

WTD: 26 (41 km)
    MTD: 26 (41)
    YTD: 1,306 (2,102)

Advertisement