Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sat 5 Sep

The Lakes 10k - 44:20 (PB)

We set off nice and early for this, picking up Bungy Girl (considered leaving her behind, but only for a minute :)) and aquinn on the way. Got to Blessington nice and early, picked up the number in seconds, hung around for a while before doing a couple of kms warmup with BG and Firedance. Conditions were a little breezier than anticipated but it was a fine cool morning so nothing to complain about weather-wise.

The numbers doing the race were a bit down, I believe, which is a pity, but it certainly made for a smooth start with no congestion at all. The organisers did a great job with the waves, organising them outside the main gathering point before walking everyone over to the start line, parkrun style. I didn’t fancy my chances of finishing ahead of BG, who is faster, more race-hardened and far younger than I. But we agreed to set out at 44 min pace with a few clubmates chasing similar targets, knowing we’d lose some time on the hill in Km 7, which hopefully could be made up over the fast closing 3k.

Felt grand for the first few kms but then began to struggle a bit in the fourth km — not sure why, there was a bit of a drag here for a bit, but nothing serious. BG pulled ahead a bit here and ran with clubmate R for a few kms. The two of them were bang on the pace so this gave me someone to follow for a while, which suited me fine and I put in a good fifth km to draw level with the two of them at the halfway point, which I clocked at 22:12. I sportingly called out the split as BG had forgotten to start her watch with all the pre-race chit chat. :pac:

Not sure what tactical advice FBOT whispered in BG’s ear at last week’s parkrun but she started to apply some pressure in km 6 and opened up a decent gap with the uphill seventh km just up the road. Was happy with my pace here, though, right on target at the bottom of the hill. At this point BG just put the foot down and powered up the hill, dropping R and leaving me quite a way behind. This was a bit humbling, but I wasn’t too disheartened as I went past a few runners myself on the way up and was only been passed by one, I think, over the 900m or so.

Passed the “King of the Hill” sign at the summit and by this stage I was looking forward to the downhill finish. I think I’ve improved a bit lately on the downhill and I started to close the gap a bit, catching R with about 1500m to go. By the 9k marker I’d closed the gap a bit to BG a little bit more but fair play to her, she was looking incredibly strong and never looked back for a second. Passed the mrs and aquinn doing some fine supporting and making a terrific racket at the "600m To Go” sign — except they were covering it, so I didn’t realise we were quite so close to the finish until rounding the final bend with the gantry visible about 400m ahead. Picked up the pace some more, getting to dry retch point over the last 100. I was happy with the final effort, fairly falling over the line, three places or four places behind BG who also managed a powerful finish to cap off a really impressive return to the racing game, fair play.

Splits

4:24 4:26 4:28 4:34 4:20 4:22 4:59 4:11 4:16 4:21
    Garmin time: 44:20

After that it was muffin time and some race post-mortem talk with Firedance, chickey, Dubgal, HelenAnne and various club mates, most of whom had PBs so big smiles all round for the most part. While I was a little disappointed not to have put up a better challenge, I’m happy with the time and the 43-second PB on what was a slightly more challenging course than I was expecting. I don’t really enjoy any distance under 10 miles but it’s good to have put in another decent enough run with two weeks to go to the main event of the autumn, where I’d have a little more hope of reversing today’s placings. :)

Really well organised event, well done to the Lakeshore Striders crew. Good result from TRR today as well in sixth place, fair dues to him. Pity no chip times, and some odd gun times as well, as the cubstrange

Previous PB: 45:13 (Fingal 2015)
    Target: 44:xx low
    Garmin time: 44:20 (No chip times allocated because of power difficulties)
    101st posn, 14th M45 category (no M50 category today)
    Verdict: Happy with that, even if I was BG'd. :D

WTD: 26 (41 km)
    MTD: 26 (41)
    YTD: 1,306 (2,102)

Well done Murph, nicely run.

No mention of giving B Girl a lift home, proper order, she didn't deserve it :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done on the PB, and a nice report too! Good luck in 2 weeks, I assume the HM in PP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Glad to see the term bg'd instead of that other nonsense :D well done again, enjoy the match!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great racing D, always nice to PB on a challenging route like that. Hopefully i'll keep up the theme of the young buck beating the wily old fox in the morning!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I don’t really enjoy any distance under 10 miles but it’s good to have put in another decent enough run with two weeks to go to the main event of the autumn, where I will reverse today’s placings. :)

FYP!

Well run today, Murph. Almost a minute off Fingal 10K is no mean feat.

And thanks for the lift home :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

nop98 wrote: »
    Well done on the PB, and a nice report too! Good luck in 2 weeks, I assume the HM in PP?

Yep, race series. You doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Yep, race series. You doing it?

Unfortunately not. I'll be in Cardiff with my 8yo, cheering on Ireland against Canada. Instead, and to stay ahead of the plan, I'm going to do the route on Friday afternoon (using Bungy Girl's smartness to work around the Tower Gate being locked until Saturday).

Disappointed to be missing the race, I loved it last year and I would relish a go at a (modest) PB. But, a chance to visit the RWC with my son is a good alternative :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    FYP!

And thanks for the lift home :D

Ahem, I made him do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Great report, enjoyed reading that. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

A pb is a pb so well done. Great report too. Looking forward to the half now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done Murph.

Bg'd though. Think it's time to lose the cigar....

Oh, I don't know. Happy enough with the progress. It's all trending in the right direction for that NYQ in Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Nicely done, D. Another good PB performance and excellent report. You're such a gent that I can't but pass up the opportunity to take the proverbial.

I hope you got home in time to head to Croker and top off the day by watching the Dubs close the deal this time around.

Form may vary but class in permanent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Oh, I don't know. Happy enough with the progress. It's all trending in the right direction for that NYQ in Boston.

Only 9 more sleeps to registration :)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Only 9 more sleeps to registration :)

11 sleeps for me. We don't ALL have a 20-minute buffer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well done D on the PB and to Bungy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done yesterday D. Good report too. Hope the back flare up is very temporary.

Sun 6 Sep

Recovery 16.1k @ 5:47 (10m @ 9:18)

A bit fast for a recovery run I think - found it hard to get slow enough despite an up and down route out to Rosses Point from Sligo town. Maybe I wasn't tired enough? Was delighted to see that the bridge widening works that delayed us on the way to the Bundoran 10 earlier in the year have at least resulted in a lovely new pedestrian walkway over the Garavogue.

WTD: 36 (57 km)
    MTD: 36 (57)
    YTD: 1,313 (2,118)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

well done on Saturday!

Sun 6 Sep

Recovery 16.1k @ 5:47 (10m @ 9:18)

A bit fast for a recovery run I think - found it hard to get slow enough despite an up and down route out to Rosses Point from Sligo town. Maybe I wasn't tired enough?

How's the back now ? I found that book so I'll drop it in.

My 10 miler ended up faster than I though too. Maybe we didn't work hard enough on Saturday :eek: ?

• Advertisement

HelenAnne wrote: »
    well done on Saturday!

Thanks - great result yourself. :)

How's the back now ? I found that book so I'll drop it in.

My 10 miler ended up faster than I though too. Maybe we didn't work hard enough on Saturday :eek: ?

I think it's OK - despite the little tweak it felt grand during the drive to Sligo so I decided to do the recovery run and play it by ear. No issue there at all. Still feels a little sensitive so I'm just trying to be extra careful about posture, bending etc. Touch wood and all that. Thanks for digging out the book.

Well I was 20 seconds outside the Macmillan time so yeah, maybe didn't work hard enough. If I'd hit I'd have run 44 flat. ;) Thought I'd finished well but according to the results (and the official Cru race report) Rebecca came back and caught me on the line, which I've no memory of. :eek:

[EDIT: finish line video on Precision Timing Facebook page shows I finished where I originally thought] ;)

Interesting comment on DG's log about digging in every km like it's a new lap - I definitely tend to lose concentration in the middle third of most races. Something to work on.

Looking forward to the next one now.

I think it's OK - despite the little tweak it felt grand during the drive to Sligo so I decided to do the recovery run and play it by ear. No issue there at all. Still feels a little sensitive so I'm just trying to be extra careful about posture, bending etc. Touch wood and all that. Thanks for digging out the book.

Well I was 20 seconds outside the Macmillan time so yeah, maybe didn't work hard enough. If I'd hit I'd have run 44 flat. ;) Thought I'd finished well but according to the results (and the official Cru race report) Rebecca came back and caught me on the line, which I've no memory of. :eek: Interesting comment on DG's log about digging in every km like it's a new lap - I definitely tend to lose concentration in the middle third of most races. Something to work on.

Looking forward to the next one now.

That's good news. Main thing is to get to the start line on Saturday week. So no hoovering or mopping now, y'hear! ;)

I was outside McMillan and vDot predictions too, by 10-15 seconds, but felt like I ran my best.

Not sure if I'm looking forward to the half so much as looking forward to it being over :rolleyes: In Killerz and BeepBeep we trust!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I told you to drop her to Connolly.

Glad that the back is ok.

[EDIT: finish line video on Precision Timing Facebook page shows I finished where I originally thought] ;)

Good stuff :D Must have a look and see can I figure out my correct net time from the video. I suspect the camera won't have caught my good side though :o

I was outside McMillan and vDot predictions too, by 10-15 seconds, but felt like I ran my best.

Are you kidding? It was a master class! Macmillan didn't have to run up that bloody hill.

At least I finished in front of that Tri-guy. :pac:

lakes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Heel strike finish like Terenure.

16 seconds between us as per the finish video. I've to add 4 seconds on to my time now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Told you I was catching up at the end. ;)

Advertisement