Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

aquinn wrote: »
    Heel strike finish like Terenure.

Well spotted, A, thank you.

Mon 7 Sep

Rest.

Tue 8 Sep

Plan had 11k with a rake of strides but the back was feeling stiff and sore so I took an extra rest day.

Wed 9 Sep

8km @ 5:44 (5 mi @ 9:10)

6k recovery on the plan - back feeling a little better if still stiff and sore but I decided to risk the treadmill. All felt fine so I did five miles - very comfortable and felt great afterwards. Seems like the combination of an easy run combined with a few of the exercises in BG's Back Book is a winner. Touch wood.

WTD: 5 (8 km)
    MTD: 41 (65)
    YTD: 1,318 (2,126)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Glad to hear it! Those exercises are so simple but really effective. I'm supposed to do them every day and if I forget my back usually reminds me :rolleyes:.

Thu 10 Sep

Rest. Long day at the desk but back is feeling a lot better now.

Fri 11 Sep

VO2 Max session: 2x1200, 2x1000, 1x800

Jogged over to Irishtown at lunchtime for this as I figured it would be much less of a hassle on the track. However there was a school session booked in so I only got to do the 1200s before doing the rest of it in the park. After all that couldn’t even use lane 1 as it was closed off so ended up measuring the whole thing on the Garmin anyway. So much for careful planning! Distances are probably a bit off as a result but it will do. The plan said to jog 50-90% of the rep time as recovery and I found myself using the full range over the course of the session.

According to P&L I should be in the 1:39-1:43 range per lap for this kind of workout. Looks like I hit that range pretty well which I’m pleased with as there was no one to pace off like in a regular club session and so it was all by feel. While you'd probably expect the pace to get faster in this kind of session that was never going to happen going from track to grass.

4:42 (1:34 /lap) - track
    4:54 (1:38 /lap) - track
    4:12 (1:41 /lap) - grass
    4:18 (1:43 /lap) - grass
    3:12 (1:36 /lap) - grass

Two women relaxing in the park shouted "Run Forrest Run” at me, not once but twice. How original. :D

Total with warmup/cooldown: 14.7 km (9.1 mi).

WTD: 14 (23 km)
    MTD: 50 (80)
    YTD: 1,330 (2,140)

Nice work! I saw that session on the schedule you posted on my log, thought about it, briefly, then went for a fartlek instead :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

A week to go before the goal race of the second half of the year. It's felt a little strange to be training for something other than a marathon and to be honest I don't think I've been taking it too seriously. I haven't even set a proper target beyond 1:40 and I'm considering being a bit more aggressive. If this was a marathon I would have a very specific target so to not have one is just not doing justice to the work put in, which has been considerable. If the goal for the spring marathon is a London or at least a NYC qualifying time, I should be trying to get halfway there at least. So 1:37 might be a reasonable target?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Murph_D wrote: »
    A week to go before the goal race of the second half of the year. It's felt a little strange to be training for something other than a marathon and to be honest I don't think I've been taking it too seriously. I haven't even set a proper target beyond 1:40 and I'm considering being a bit more aggressive. If this was a marathon I would have a very specific target so to not have one is just not doing justice to the work put in, which has been considerable. If the goal for the spring marathon is a London or at least a NYC qualifying time, I should be trying to get halfway there at least. So 1:37 might be a reasonable target?

You ran 7.30 pace more or less for ten miles in March which is 1.38.xx. Your in better shape than that now, I think 1.37 is to soft for you and you should target 1.35. I think your more than capable of running it.

tang1 wrote: »
    You ran 7.30 pace more or less for ten miles in March which is 1.38.xx. Your in better shape than that now, I think 1.37 is to soft for you and you should target 1.35. I think your more than capable of running it.

:eek:

Do I just concede now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Bungy Girl wrote: »

Do I just concede now ?

No.....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Murph, what was you average pace (in min/mile) in Blessington?

• Advertisement

Do I just concede now ?

You should encourage him to go for sub 1:30 :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Murph, what was you average pace (in min/mile) in Blessington?

He ran 44.20, I thought he was a minute faster.

He ran 44.20, I thought he was a minute faster.

Yeah I was thinking you were being optimistic with 1:35, that would be 10k pace surely?
    Murph is an endurance monster though so I reckon 1:37-1:38 should be feasible

Yeah I was thinking you were being optimistic with 1:35, that would be 10k pace surely?
    Murph is an endurance monster though so I reckon 1:37-1:38 should be feasible

Yeah I was basing the 1.35 off a 43.20 10k, but as you said Murph is an endurance monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Murph, I would agree that 1:37 is a reasonable target. If you can get up the hill on target then you always have the option to go for gold and nicking another few seconds on the run in.

Endurance monster is overstating it a bit but definitely tend to the endurance rather than the speed side of the spectrum alright. 7:08 for Blessington 10k - add 30 secs to double the distance, isn't that a rule? That would only give 100 mins though so I reckon 97-98 will be a challenge, 95 definitely too hot for someone not a speedster like yourself, tang. ;)

Do I just concede now ?
    You should encourage him to go for sub 1:30 :)

Beat me to it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Hey Murph. I can't remember you're exact time from Cork but if my memory serves, you were under the 3.30 mark. From that I'd recon you're able for a 1:36:xx. You may as well go for it and fail as opposed to having a handy one and wondering what could have happened.

Well yes, going for it is what I want to do alright, dintbo. It's a question of how to get there. 3:29 in Cork suggests more like 1:39 - am basing 1:37ish on more recent shorter races. I think going out at 1:36 pace would likely result in a blowup - although I have been accused of sandbagging in the past. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I may have been a little drunk when i posted that Murph. I was basing it on the not often used dintbo table. Your numbers made me curious so i put my own hm time into vdot and realised how far off I was :) so whatever else happens, don't take advice from me!

• Advertisement

No prob, dintbo, nice going yesterday, you earned those PB beers.

Endurance monster is overstating it a bit but definitely tend to the endurance rather than the speed side of the spectrum alright. 7:08 for Blessington 10k - add 30 secs to double the distance, isn't that a rule? That would only give 100 mins though so I reckon 97-98 will be a challenge, 95 definitely too hot for someone not a speedster like yourself, tang. ;)

I was told that you add 4 seconds per lap when you double the distance, so that would mean 16 seconds/mile slower (17 since it's double plus a bit)
    7:25/mile, what does that get you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

97 mins is 7:24:27 pace

Split calc

Sat 12 Sep

30 mins recovery on quiet Donegal roads. Nearly got trampled by some sheep.

Sun 13 Sep

Endurance 16.2 km @ 5:31 (10.1 mi @ 8:53) Av HRR 152 (68%)

Gorgeous day up here in the northwest. 10 miles out and back over the hills at Croagh mountain and beyond. Always a bonus to get this hill in the week before a race. Felt good, finished with a km at 10k pace to make HM pace feel easy. ;)

A few miles short of the plan this week but it could have been worse. Back still holding up well - invested in a lumbar support from The Back Shop during the week which makes driving long distances much more bearable.

WTD: 28 (44 km)
    MTD: 63 (102)
    YTD: 1,344 (2,162)

I was told that you add 4 seconds per lap when you double the distance, so that would mean 16 seconds/mile slower (17 since it's double plus a bit)
    7:25/mile, what does that get you?
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    97 mins is 7:24:27 pace

Split calc

Thanks guys, 7:24 it is, or should I say 4:36/km :)

Mind you, Frank Duffy 10 time of 73:46 (7:23 mi / 4:35 km) suggests this will not be a shoo-in at all, given it's only a few weeks ago on practically the same course. Mind you I finished that one pretty strongly. Hopefully the taper will provide a bit of a boost too.

Thanks guys, 7:24 it is, or should I say 4:36/km :)

Mind you, Frank Duffy 10 time of 73:46 (7:23 mi / 4:35 km) suggests this will not be a shoo-in at all, given it's only a few weeks ago on practically the same course. Mind you I finished that one pretty strongly. Hopefully the taper will provide a bit of a boost too.

I'll have to leave you to it so! I debated the pros and cons of going for a more agressive target during my long run this morning - it was quite the conversation :rolleyes: - and decided that sub 1:40 is the A-goal and I would run a serious risk of blowing up if I tried to go out any faster. I just don't have the experience over this distance. Even my last 10 miler was 3 years ago :rolleyes:. I reckon you'll hit the 1:37 target, just don't go for a nap half way round ;)

I'll have to leave you to it so! I debated the pros and cons of going for a more agressive target during my long run this morning - it was quite the conversation :rolleyes: - and decided that sub 1:40 is the A-goal and I would run a serious risk of blowing up if I tried to go out any faster. I just don't have the experience over this distance. Even my last 10 miler was 3 years ago :rolleyes:. I reckon you'll hit the 1:37 target, just don't go for a nap half way round ;)

Ah BG, what about the Youth vs Elders battle.........

Ah BG, what about the Youth vs Elders battle.........

It'll have to wait for a more suitable distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Mind games!!

The only problem is at his age he will probably forget them before next Saturday. Might want to bump that post later in the week, BG :D

• Advertisement

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Mind games!!

Shhh!

It's up to you BG but I think you'd be good for a more aggressive HM alright - anything beyond that would be another thing but you had lots in the tank last week. There's plenty of room on my 1:37:xx train. :)

Advertisement