Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Murph_D wrote: »
    Shhh!

It's up to you BG but I think you'd be good for a more aggressive HM alright - anything beyond that would be another thing but you had lots in the tank last week. There's plenty of room on my 1:37:xx train. :)

Cheers, but I had 10 miles to think about it this morning :) and while part of me would love to see if I could keep that pace, the other,more realistic, part knows that would be a very dodgy strategy given my history with distance races. I would be thrilled with a 1:39:xx so I'm going to give myself the best opportunity to get that under the belt by sticking with the pacers. You can save me a muffin, and I'll hopefully join you at the finish within 3 minutes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Cheers, but I had 10 miles to think about it this morning :) and while part of me would love to see if I could keep that pace, the other,more realistic, part knows that would be a very dodgy strategy given my history with distance races. I would be thrilled with a 1:39:xx so I'm going to give myself the best opportunity to get that under the belt by sticking with the pacers. You can save me a muffin, and I'll hopefully join you at the finish within 3 minutes :D

Well, you never know, you might be seeing me a good bit sooner than that.

Week 0 at last...

Mon 14 Sep

Rest.

Tue 15 Sep

Race pace + Speed: 11km (6.8 mi) inc. 4x100 strides and 2 mi at HMP

That was hard.

I don't know if it's because of the strides - wouldn't say I bust a gut on them, although the last two were decent efforts. Did them in Poppintree park between the parkrun start and finish lines which are about 100m apart. That was after a 3k warmup jogging up from DCU. After another slow 800m or so I launched into the 3.22 kms at half marathon pace, two laps of the parkrun course. There was a bit of a headwind at the back end of the park that wasn't really balanced by a tailwind at the other end, which has more tree cover. Tore off a bit too fast for the first 200m or so and struggled to maintain the pace but just about managed it with a fast finish that gave me an average of 4:35 (7:22) for the two miles.

Felt way too hard but I won't worry about that as I always seem to struggle with those kind of sessions, especially at this stage of the taper a few days before the race. Happy to have gritted it out and hopefully I can finish like that on the day.

Catching my breath afterwards and a woman walking a dog glances at me and does a double take. "I'm fine", I say, thinking I must look pretty awful but she laughs, greets me by name, takes off her shades and I recognise her as someone I worked with a few times about 10 years ago. Have a pleasant chat before another few kms to cool down.

WTD: 7 mi (11 km)
    MTD: 70 (113)
    YTD: 1,351 (2,173)

Well done , it's amazing how those sessions always feel so tough yet somehow it all comes together on race day. I'm going to attempt that session tomorrow (at a more sedate pace of course :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I was warned of no sessions on race week and look at the pair of ye???

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »

It's race pace ! Not tearing around the track doing 400's at eyeballs out pace :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

aquinn wrote: »

That wasn't a session for Murph. He was just shaking out the legs ;)

Just following the plan. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow D, hope it goes to plan for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Best of everything tomorrow aul fella :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

yep good luck tomorrow!! watch out for a young whippersnapper coming up on your left* before the finish straight :)

*she may come up on your right..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Have a good one tomorrow, D. Old dog for the long road and all that. I am sure I will see you in there before hand but if not.........ENJOY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck tomorrow Murph. You can tell me all about it in Boston:)

Best of luck for tomorrow! I expect to see you glide away from the 1:40 bunch at a precise rate of 12 seconds per mile :D. I have no idea what that is in Km. See you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Go PappaMurph,

Kick her ass with your one good leg :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck tomorrow.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow.

Thanks, looking forward to it.
    Go PappaMurph,

Kick her ass with your one good leg :)

I have no idea what this means. :eek:
    tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow D, hope it goes to plan for you.

Me too! Cheers.
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Best of everything tomorrow aul fella :D

Thanks DG, bring some flapjacks and save me one. Best of luck on Sun yourself.
    Firedance wrote: »
    yep good luck tomorrow!! watch out for a young whippersnapper coming up on your left* before the finish straight :)

*she may come up on your right..

Is there a race in? I'm just an aul time trialler.
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    Have a good one tomorrow, D. Old dog for the long road and all that. I am sure I will see you in there before hand but if not.........ENJOY!!

Thanks M. Enjoy the workout yourself.
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow Murph. You can tell me all about it in Boston:)

I don't wanna save the world, I'm just looking for New England.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Best of luck for tomorrow! I expect to see you glide away from the 1:40 bunch at a precise rate of 12 seconds per mile :D. I have no idea what that is in Km. See you there.

That would be 7-8 secs. Have a good one yourself, all the best!

Looking forward to it now. Accepted for Boston today so this log has sort of come full circle. Will have to think of a new title. Suggestions on a postcard. In the meantime, it's time to get kitted out and give it a lash. See ye on the other side. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Fantastic news on BQ, well done D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Best of luck tomorrow D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good luck - catch you tomorrow. In a figurative see you sense. Not a literal moving way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

All the best Murph!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Great news on the BQ and best of luck this morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done D, you were on the money with your time. Great racing, did you level the series?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Hope you had a good run today.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Rock solid Murph - well done on Boston acceptance too:)

Nicely done today! I tip my hat to you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

rock solid is right, you looked super strong and in control out there today, well done again. Trust the plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Fanbloodytastic D and very well deserved it is too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done! The plan works! Congratulations on bq too. Good weekend for you!

• Advertisement

Wed 16 Sep

45 mins recovery in Albert College Park.

Thu 17 Sep

More rest.

Fri 18 Sep

5km recovery pace with 4x100 strides. Enjoyed the strides but still felt a bit sluggish.

WTD: 14 mi (23 km)
    MTD: 77 (125)
    YTD: 1,358 (2,185)

Advertisement